Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Alright, the first video got my attention. Never played/watched any other Silent Hill game, so I'm going fully blind in this. That fog sure doesn't help.
I wanted to point out that these map links are 404'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

^^they're supposed to link to imageshack but for some reason SA breaks the links. I just clicked quote to see the real URL then copy-pasted. it's weird.

I really enjoyed how in your SH1 LP you took it seriously while still making jokes and being entertaining in the commentary. Glad to see you're carrying on that in this one! Love this so far!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
EDIT: Crap, wrong version! Sorry, enjoying both versions!

NineWheels
Jun 5, 2014
The thing about LPing horror games is that the lion's share of what makes a game scary is in the atmosphere, and atmosphere is much stronger when you're working with an interactive medium, in which you are controlling (to a degree) what happens, and therefore must stay focused on the game at all times. If I want to be scared by Silent Hill 2, I'll play Silent Hill 2, because there's only so much of the experience that can be recreated by watching any LP, even the most seriously somber one. However, I'm also interested in learning more about Silent Hill 2 without necessarily getting the nightmares, so I'm happy to have these videos. :P All this to say that basically my tastes favor Voidburger's style of commentary. Her Origins LP informed my approach for my Eternal Darkness LP.

NineWheels
Jun 5, 2014
Y'know, for what it's worth, the video still kinda creeped me out even with jokes in the commentary. So maybe I'm kinda full of poo poo?

NineWheels fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 7, 2015

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

I'm the biggest baby in the world so it makes me really happy when people LP horror games because I get way too stressed out playing them myself.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

kvltmanifesto posted:

I'm the biggest baby in the world so it makes me really happy when people LP horror games because I get way too stressed out playing them myself.

This is me 100%. I love the Silent Hill series, and the movement for psychological horror games (as opposed to Resident Evil style shooters that were the only survival horror before SH) that briefly were huge during the PS2 era, but there's no chance in hell I'm capable of playing them successfully. VB coming back with this, the best of them, is a valentine's miracle for me. Now if only Egomaniac's Siren HD LP would return from the dead, I would be in 7th Heaven.

Also, Nthing the love for the preservation of quality here, especially in the sound design. the SH series has fantastic sound design, and this game might have the best soundtrack in my opinion of any game ever.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

i guess i enjoy this style of LP because it reminds me of watching scary stuff with my friends, enjoying the spooky atmosphere and cracking jokes. good times..

also I totally agree about this game's soundtrack. It's just soooo loving good

Pompitous
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cowboy

Meis posted:

i guess i enjoy this style of LP because it reminds me of watching scary stuff with my friends, enjoying the spooky atmosphere and cracking jokes. good times..

You haven't played a Silent Hill game until you and your friends jokingly say "Let's play this with the lights off. It'll be spooky!" and after 5 minutes you all agree to never play video games in the dark again. Ever.

Meis posted:

Akira Yamaoka has convinced me that the most terrifying instrument on earth is the mandolin.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

interestingly enough, that was how my cousin introduced me to the series :v:

:D ok we're gonna play this game Silent Hill

:geno: ok, sounds fun

:D but first we gotta turn the lights off

:raise: uuuuuuh why?

:D for atmosphere, silly

:rolleyes: ok, fine

:gonk: oh God why are those midgets stabbing me in the crotch

:D Oh it gets better

And five hours later we...finished (I think, we may have given it a rest somewhere in the forgotten hotel or wherever is the last big building before the endgame)

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I think something's weird with my head, because I loved the gently caress out of these games as a kid and would play them at night in the dark no problem.
And yet I couldn't play Fatal Frame unless someone else was in the room with me.

I guess transparent Japanese people were absolutely terrifying to young me. :saddowns:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

We used to kill the lights playing AVP2 with Facehuggers on

For ~Ambiance~

Everyone should try playing horror games with the lights off once.

I mean, if you run screaming to the light switch after 5 minutes, you've still DONE it.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Veloxyll posted:

We used to kill the lights playing AVP2 with Facehuggers on

For ~Ambiance~

I mean, if you run screaming to the light switch after 5 minutes, you've still DONE it.

Multiplayer horror game LAN night with everyone in the room and over-ear headphones on. When the lights turn off, you start the game. :getin:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

A friend and I did something similar with Amnesia, Outlast, and the Penumbra games. Blind playthroughs started at the same time mainly to make fun of each other when we got scared and also to help each other if we got stuck or lost.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I think something's weird with my head, because I loved the gently caress out of these games as a kid and would play them at night in the dark no problem.

Oh, same here. Even as a 13 year old I've never felt the Silent Hill series was particularly frightening in the traditional sense, since the enemies are usually pretty easy to take care of so long as the terrible controls will work with you. But the atmosphere of it is amazingly creepy and wonderful, and the lighting in this game is great. The monster designs fascinated me and I loved slowly realizing what each one was meant to be. This is a great, albeit flawed, game that I loved quite a bit as a kid.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
edit: it's me, I also forgot which thread I was posting in, throw me in the dumbpost fire

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
On suspicious white vans... I have actually had someone call out to me on the street from a (slowly) passing white van, asking me if I wanted to buy "a cheap car stereo".

Could have been worse of course, but still; it was all I could do not to laugh at him over how cliched it all was.

Meis posted:

Same. I've been putting it (and the other SH soundtracks) into other games for years, too. Adding it to the dungeon tracks for Oblivion and Skyrim; that sort of thing. Works really well!

Veloxyll posted:

People play horror games with the lights on? Seems like that would harm the effect. I think I started playing horror games in the dark in the late nineties, with the original Thief games. Pitch-black room plus surround sound speakers; it was great.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

tlarn posted:

Multiplayer horror game LAN night with everyone in the room and over-ear headphones on. When the lights turn off, you start the game. :getin:

even without, you actually get pretty good pretty quickly at figuring out which speakers are yours.

That does not at all reduce the screams mind you.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Small Frozen Thing posted:

And yet I couldn't play Fatal Frame unless someone else was in the room with me.

I guess transparent Japanese people were absolutely terrifying to young me. :saddowns:

I love SH and think it's great at producing scares (both jump scares and atmospheric dread), but I always found Fatal Frame to be more frightening. Probably a combination of the graphics being so ridiculously good even in the first one, and the fact that your sole weapon against ghosts who can loving kill you and trap your soul is a camera. Also, the ghosts frequently change facial expressions/attacks, and on more than one occasion I've had a ghost go from "Ok, just looks like a gross pale human" to "OHDEARGOD!" :gonk:

The static in SH always seemed to give much more of a warning than the purely silent filament in Fatal Frame, too.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Oh man, I've waited for this for so long. :allears:

I also did the blind co-op type play with a friend, with each of us passing the controller off at certain parts. We usually did them while drinking... and then we got to Homecoming and it was more drinking than anything. :sigh: I still have fond memories of the earlier games in the series, at least.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel ashamed to say I've never played nor watched an LP of SH2 (let alone any Silent Hill or Resident Evil game), though I did watch both movies. I watched a non-informative LP recently so I figured this one will be pretty good to figure out the poo poo I am still confused on. That or just confuse myself even further :smith:

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

Unfunny Poster posted:

though I did watch both movies. :smith:

I am so, so sorry you had to witness those.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Unfunny Poster posted:

I feel ashamed to say I've never played nor watched an LP of SH2 (let alone any Silent Hill or Resident Evil game), though I did watch both movies. I watched a non-informative LP recently so I figured this one will be pretty good to figure out the poo poo I am still confused on. That or just confuse myself even further :smith:

Both? Mate you got some catchin up to do

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zortzico posted:

I am so, so sorry you had to witness those.

I actually didn't mind them for pointless horror/slasher flicks

muike posted:

Both? Mate you got some catchin up to do

They made more than one SH movie?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Unfunny Poster posted:

They made more than one SH movie?

There's a second one that adapts Silent Hill 3 and turned Vincent into an age appropriate love interest.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

VoidBurger posted:

Good question! Paleville is a town near Silent Hill, to the west. But the mile numbers are odd, which makes me wonder if the sign was not referring to South Silent Hill (which is where we've just arrived), but Central Silent Hill (which the area where Harry was farting around for most of Silent Hill 1).

Click here for an absurdly large map, if you're interested in absurdly large maps of fictional places! The map has grown over the years, and the whole area to the right is where Silent Hill Downpour takes place.

This 404s, so here, here is the map. Thanks for this VB.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Ars Arcanum posted:

I love SH and think it's great at producing scares (both jump scares and atmospheric dread), but I always found Fatal Frame to be more frightening. Probably a combination of the graphics being so ridiculously good even in the first one, and the fact that your sole weapon against ghosts who can loving kill you and trap your soul is a camera. Also, the ghosts frequently change facial expressions/attacks, and on more than one occasion I've had a ghost go from "Ok, just looks like a gross pale human" to "OHDEARGOD!" :gonk:

The static in SH always seemed to give much more of a warning than the purely silent filament in Fatal Frame, too.

It didn't help that the first Fatal Frame was marketed as "based on a true story". I was a young and impressionable kid who still believed in Santa Claus when I first played it, and let me tell you: that game haunted me for years. :tinfoil:

Ghosts are also scarier because there are tons of urban legends about them and people are still unsure whether they're real or not.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The interesting thing about the SH movie is that people who haven't played the games tend to like them, because they see cool creepy imagery and think it's just the movie.

Not the second movie though. No one likes that unironically.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anoia posted:

There's a second one that adapts Silent Hill 3 and turned Vincent into an age appropriate love interest.

Sorry, I meant to say other than the two films. I watched 1 & 2 and thought they were, again, decent mindless entertainment.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I love Silent Hill 2 so much, it's the first horror game I ever played and it really stuck with me. One of the copies I had came with a making of DVD and I remember the designers talking about that super long walk into town. It was a huge risk for them and they knew it, but for them they wanted to use it to create a dreadful sense of isolation. It's not just the snarling and the sloshing and the footsteps that creep you out, but that throbbing ambient noise in the background is just so oppressive. like the fog, it just crushes in on you and the further along you go down that track the worse it gets. I remember as a kid playing this opening sequence, I had to keep pausing it because the sound was really getting to me and I just needed a breather from it.

I'm off to the other thread now to watch the nerd version, I'm really thrilled to see VB doing SH2 at long last.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Yes, SH2 gets the VB treatment! So excited for this because this game is awesome and VB is awesome.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

does anyone know what the various graffiti in the bathroom says? While there's lots of repeated stuff throughout the town, there's a LOT inside there that looks relatively unique.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Choco1980 posted:

does anyone know what the various graffiti in the bathroom says? While there's lots of repeated stuff throughout the town, there's a LOT inside there that looks relatively unique.

It's mostly just hard to make out, but it's all interesting to try to make out!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The first Silent Hill movie does have a really strong visual flair with evocative shot choices, and I enjoy how it turns most of the elements from the game into their opposite in one way or another. It's not great, but it is a good watch and far from the garbage many people like to say it is.

I'm going to be following this thread because I've never been into the games and want to see it speak for itself. This is going to be fun.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

General Ironicus posted:

The first Silent Hill movie does have a really strong visual flair with evocative shot choices
A lot of those shot choices are lifted directly from Silent Hill 1 and 2, actually!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW5ND6OysSs

Not featured in this video is one of the big ones iconic camera angled they took from Silent Hill 2, but this is the "no spoiler" thread, so I'll keep it to myself at this point, haha.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
The Silent Hill movie is absolutely gorgeous, and weirdly faithful to the game in a lot of small ways despite the plot being a total departure halfway through. It's also genuinely pretty scary and for that reason I like it a lot. Can;t say anything about Revelations because I never saw it.

Is that Hebrew surrounding that anthropomorphic baby rattle? There seems to be a lot of instances of non-roman scripts in the background of the Silent Hill games. Silent Hill 3 even has Róvás, the nearly-dead alphabet of the ancient Hungarians.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The first Silent Hill movie was so frustrating. It was nearly good for most of it - especially the atmosphere and the visuals - but right near the end it took a dramatic turn into loud, dumb and ostentatious territory, with lots of gratuitous blood and guts. It got really nasty. (I did like the epilogue though; that was a great ending and was original to the movie, I think.)

And of course the good parts - the atmosphere and visuals - were mostly taken from Silent Hill 2 and shoehorned into the story of Silent Hill 1, even where their inclusion didn't make any sense outside of Silent Hill 2's story. Gotta leverage those iconic creatures (from SH2) while using the story that has a direct sequel (SH1) so they could have their movie franchise, I guess.

Speaking of the franchise, the second movie was basically in the gratuitously bloody, loud and stupid style of the end of the first, only stretched out over the whole running time.

Er... so yeah, I don't think that the first movie is complete garbage, but I do think the second movie is.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.

VoidBurger posted:

"The Hank fashioned and though."

"I am Detamia runt that."

Mystery solved.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

VoidBurger posted:

The Ha(??)s Fashioned An(d? not clear)
Thou (??)

quote:

I am Decaying
(Indecipherable blur) AR(??) NT That

quote:

My Jewish boyfriend confirms this is definitely Hebrew, but he doesn't know the language enough to translate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Choco1980 posted:

My Jewish boyfriend confirms this is definitely Hebrew, but he doesn't know the language enough to translate it.

Interestingly there's a bit in the top corner that kinda-sorta-almost-but-not-quite resembles the Tetragrammaton (יהוה, the four letters used in Jewish texts as a placeholder for the name of G-d), albeit in a different order with a one-lettter difference. According to Jewish law, the Tetragrammaton isn't to be brought into a place as filthy or unclean as a bathroom so perhaps the they were going for something evoking blasphemy and sacrilege and "wrongness", but altered the image slightly so as not to truly be disrespectful (which I appreciate).

• Locked thread