Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Ahh this is going to be so much fun! I love Silent Hill 2 and all the symbolism and strange things behind it but all I know is from the games, and all the fan theories are very...insular I guess is the best word? To find out what one person is talking about in their theory I have to look up words and phrases and injokes that other fans used in their theories to understand what on earth is going on, and that's not getting into how people expect you to have perfect recall of the games to begin with.

What I'm trying to say is, it's awesome to have a place where all this kinda centralised and I don't need to cross-reference a million things to get what you nerds are talking about. Thanks, Voidburger! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Haerc posted:

It's been dying for a long time, they built a highway that goes around it, and the logging industry died out. It used to be kind of a touristy place to stop in and eat/get gas/whatever on your way up the mountains, but another route has become popular. There's really no reason to go there at all anymore.

It's heavily forested and borders a river with a lake just outside of town, it rains all the time and is foggy pretty often. Also had a spooky abandoned lumber mill, a disturbing restaurant with dozens of stuffed big game trophies (they had multiple tigers and polar bear, the dude who owned it was some famous crazy big game hunter in the mid 1900s), and the Elementary and High schools were massive brick buildings built in the 20s. I had to go into the sub-basement of the Elementary school once to help a teacher out when I was in High-school, and the loving thing was filled with old style wheelchairs and weird physical therapy equipment for disabled kids. Freaked me the gently caress out.

Two of the three ways out of town were either a dilapidated bridge over a deep river gorge or a mountain road that was pretty much always washed out or snowed in.

Actually that sounds a lot more like a certain other small town we all know and love.

Tell me, has your town ever had any problems with red trees?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Regarding the marys body in the car thing. Is there any evidence for it or is just some guys opinion (who worked on the game)

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I'm honestly disappointed if they intended Mary to be in the backseat all along and didn't model her. Like, I think adding a slumped over, indistinct figure would be easily overlooked by first time players but it'd blow people's minds when they replayed it.

Any way, I really enjoy two people who know what they're talking about discuss the game. Even if I think a few of the theories are shaky, they're super interesting to hear.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also re: James' reaction to the first enemy:

"What was that. It's definitely not human." Looks like another of them woman things. Shame I didn't get here before it killed that dude. At least she wont strike again.

VoidBurger posted:

Veloxyll posted:

What's it like to be playing a game that doesn't make you want to kill yourself?
Pretty ironic, because this games is pretty depressing and about suicide and dark poo poo like that, lol. That stuff shouldn't be refreshing, but it is????

Well, in theory Oogie's revenge was meant to be sorta fun and whimsical, and well...
So there's a kind of symmetry I guess!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Little_wh0re posted:

Regarding the marys body in the car thing. Is there any evidence for it or is just some guys opinion (who worked on the game)

From the SH2 novel:

Sorry, it’s probably pretty cramped in there…” He opened the trunk of his parked car. He lifted Mary’s curled up body and set her in the passenger’s seat. As he climbed into the driver’s seat, he spoke to her. She was silent, resting inside a sleep from which she would never awaken.

And one of the developer's response regarding the subject

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/196478423932219393

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/196965567574441987

As far as I know, there's nothing in the game directly that supports the theory but we can reasonably assume it's the common consensus among the staff that James did indeed take Mary's body with him.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS

VoidBurger posted:

Though it makes sense that it's in Maine, since the majority of Stephen King's novels seem to take place there, and King was a major influencer of the series. The movies shove it in West Virginia because they based it off the real abandoned town of Centralia for no decent reason, imo.

Which is odd considering Centralia is in Pennsylvania, not West Virginia.

Another note: I live in Maine, and we do indeed have mile signs for Boston on our major freeway. So I guess it *kind of* makes sense for Brahms to have a marker, but only if Brahms is a major city on the same scale as Boston.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Little_wh0re posted:

In addition to what WaltherFeng said, you also can see what I believe is Mary's body in the boat during the Rebirth ending, which also implies that James brought her body with him to town in the first place. Additionally, in the In Water ending, James picks up Mary's body, carries her out of the room, then there's car door noises that happen before he drives his car into a lake, presumed to be Toluca Lake.

Pre-Rebirth ending. Nothing at all in the boat, it's totally empty.

Rebirth ending. In the PS2 days, that just looked like some white thing, but with the emulator you can make out a woman's face.

100Dachshunds posted:

Whoops duh, my bad~ Either way, they moved it in a southerly direction, haha.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Maybe silent hill is only haunted during the off-season. supernatural horrors got bills to pay.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Everyone should watch TRSHE. They address a load of the myths that have circulated about SH. Plus it's just generally really interesting.

(Mary isn't in the car.)

geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

Aren't the TRSHE/Twin Perfect videos known for being kinda incendiary?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

geist hirsche posted:

Aren't the TRSHE/Twin Perfect videos known for being kinda incendiary?

They argue their points pretty aggressively, but at least they back up their points with sources, so it's pretty hard to dispute.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Everyone should watch TRSHE.

No. No they shouldn't.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

They argue their points pretty aggressively, but at least they back up their points with sources, so it's pretty hard to dispute.
I'd say they skirt more closer to "hard to take seriously"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN_VL22tjyo

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

ThatPazuzu posted:

I'm honestly disappointed if they intended Mary to be in the backseat all along and didn't model her. Like, I think adding a slumped over, indistinct figure would be easily overlooked by first time players but it'd blow people's minds when they replayed it.

They kind of did that with the Radio. The fact that on a second playthrough you realize the person on the Radio is Mary saying "James, why did you kill me." gave me a whole new appreciation for the foreshadowing.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
So, with regards to James having Mary's body in the car or on the boat, did I miss some timeline shenanigans, or did Mary NOT die 3 years ago like James says in the opening? Or has he just been toting around a rotting corpse for three years?

Cerebellumn
Oct 29, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

They kind of did that with the Radio. The fact that on a second playthrough you realize the person on the Radio is Mary saying "James, why did you kill me." gave me a whole new appreciation for the foreshadowing.

I can't express enough how embarrassing it was for me to not pick up on that until I was playing though with my then girlfriend who heard it immediately.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

100Dachshunds posted:

IIRC, they based the look of the town on what they "imagined" Centralia would be like (and since Alessa goes through the whole fire thing, they thought it would make more sense to have it raining ash than switching between rain, fog, and snow). But since West Virginia is known as "coal country" and Pennsylvania is more known for...uhm...well, I guess steel even though that's not so much of a thing here anymore. So the producers thought West Virginia would make more sense.

The movie was actually shot in Brantford, Ontario, which happens to be the hometown of a very good friend of mine. When the film was in post-production, she went around and took photos of all the places shown in the film (and yes, they do have tons of weird, windy little alleys like the one Harry/Rose runs down near the beginning, and apparently it's true that the set crew didn't have to do much to make many of the buildings look Silent-Hill-esque. Which is kind of weird because apparently much of the city and its surrounding area are quite affluent).

The mile sign seems to be a legit fuckup in SH 2, since in SH 1 Cybil was from Brahms, "the next town over" and in Origins, Travis mentions wanting to stop at Brahms for coffee once he gets through Silent Hill. I guess SH 2's mile sign is its version of Twin Peaks' population sign.

Ars Arcanum fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 19, 2015

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Wa11y posted:

So, with regards to James having Mary's body in the car or on the boat, did I miss some timeline shenanigans, or did Mary NOT die 3 years ago like James says in the opening? Or has he just been toting around a rotting corpse for three years?

He's delusional and convinced himself she died years ago. He really just killed her shortly before he came to Silent HIll. This is established when he sees the letter Mary gave to Laura for Laura's birthday--he asks Laura when her birthday was, and she says "last week" (or something like that).

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Laura also mentions meeting Mary "last year" when you run into her at the hospital.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Edit: ^^^ That was one of the things that didn't line up. But it's Silent Hill so you can never be sure about when it's the town loving with you, or if the player character is hosed up in the head.

Ars Arcanum posted:

He's delusional and convinced himself she died years ago. He really just killed her shortly before he came to Silent HIll. This is established when he sees the letter Mary gave to Laura for Laura's birthday--he asks Laura when her birthday was, and she says "last week" (or something like that).

Okay, thanks. I remember there being some things that didn't line up with Mary having died 3 years ago, but I don't recall any LPs that I've watched specifically pointing it out that James is wrong about the timeline and everyone else is right (or I might have glossed over it and missed it). And I never made it past the hotel on my on play through.

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.

(Mary isn't in the car.)

WaltherFeng posted:

From the SH2 novel:

Sorry, it’s probably pretty cramped in there…” He opened the trunk of his parked car. He lifted Mary’s curled up body and set her in the passenger’s seat. As he climbed into the driver’s seat, he spoke to her. She was silent, resting inside a sleep from which she would never awaken.

And one of the developer's response regarding the subject

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/196478423932219393

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/196965567574441987

As far as I know, there's nothing in the game directly that supports the theory but we can reasonably assume it's the common consensus among the staff that James did indeed take Mary's body with him.

VoidBurger posted:

In addition to what WaltherFeng said, you also can see what I believe is Mary's body in the boat during the Rebirth ending, which also implies that James brought her body with him to town in the first place. Additionally, in the In Water ending, James picks up Mary's body, carries her out of the room, then there's car door noises that happen before he drives his car into a lake, presumed to be Toluca Lake.

Pre-Rebirth ending. Nothing at all in the boat, it's totally empty.

@Hijo Del Helmsley: There is no conclusive evidence in Silent Hill 2 that says 100% for certain "Mary is in the car". However, James had to have Mary's body to resurrect her using the ritual he wants to perform in the Rebirth ending, and as VoidBurger already pointed out, there is a body in the boat during that ending.

I also asked Masahiro Ito, the creature designer for SH2, if the body in the boat during Rebirth was Mary's:

Because of this, it can be assumed that James had Mary's body nearby during the events of SH2 to perform this ritual. I don't think he ran home (possibly Ashfield, which is 168 miles away if you believe Downpour), got her body, then ran back to Toluca Lake.

If you choose not to believe the evidence I and others have provided, that's fine. This is Silent Hill after all - the town may have conjured Mary's body like it conjured Maria or something. It's just kinda silly to take something as subjective as this and claim it's wrong simply because "Twin Perfect said so". Twin Perfect did not create Silent Hill 2, and a person who did actually have a hand in making the game says "Mary is in the car".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Since we never see the results of that ending, I like to think James flubbed the spell and resurrected Mary as an apartment room.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Wa11y posted:

Edit: ^^^ That was one of the things that didn't line up. But it's Silent Hill so you can never be sure about when it's the town loving with you, or if the player character is hosed up in the head.

Okay, thanks. I remember there being some things that didn't line up with Mary having died 3 years ago, but I don't recall any LPs that I've watched specifically pointing it out that James is wrong about the timeline and everyone else is right (or I might have glossed over it and missed it). And I never made it past the hotel on my on play through.

Yeah, it's implied that Mary was sick for a pretty long time, and befriended Laura (who was either also sick for a long time or was hanging out with the nuns/nurses who were treating Mary because she was an orphan). Mary had hoped that if she got well, she and James could adopt Laura. But in her last letter, Mary indicates that she knows she's going to die--the doctors only sent home so she could have a last few days alone with her husband/so she could die at home instead of the hospital.

James' motivations for...expediting the process vary slightly depending on the ending you get (the "canon" ending is a combination of misery at seeing her suffer so terribly + frustration at being hitched to a dying woman instead of living a normal late-twenties life). The way he talks to her in most of the endings heavily suggests that her body is in fact in their car (and the boat in "Rebirth").

edit: And as we can now see there is in fact a body in the boat during that ending. :zombie:

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.
Oh, I mentioned in the video that I messed with the art assets in the PC port of SH2 to see if anything was in James' car. Here's the result of that:

Also, here's what that Toluca Lake background image looks like on the PC port:

ps the pc port is weird

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Can't loving wait to tell you all about my dumb and longwinded Silent Hill theories.

I love this game.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Peter Pan reboot confirmed.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ars Arcanum posted:

I might be completely making this up, but isn't it 3 years ago when Mary first got sick? So he kind of thinks that's when she "died" as everything changed since then? He only actually killed her recently though before going fully crazy and ending up in back in Silent Hill for some psychological punishment.

Or it could just be a straight up red herring, I dunno. :shrug:

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

The cool & fun thing about fictional stories is that there doesn't have to be One Definitive Real Answer that gives the Real True Really Really Silent Hill Experience. Two people can have wildly different opinions and still be in the right. "Sources" and "evidence" can be interpreted in different ways. For instance: you could argue a dog did it, and have plenty of evidence. There's an ending for it and everything! That's always why TRSHE has seemed sort of silly to me -- it's not that their ideas are necessarily totally without merit, it's just that they promote this idea that there's only the Right Way and the Wrong Way to interpret something that's as intentionally vague as Silent Hill often is.

Ars Arcanum posted:

See, okay, I didn't know that until just now reading this thread (which sort of makes James coming to SH now of all times make a lot more sense), but one way to read that could be that she "died" to him, in a ~symbolic~ way as soon as she got sick/stopped being desirable to him. The Mary he knows is dead, and there's this new Mary who's sick. His delusion exacerbates that idea and makes the symbolic death seem real to him . (Though I don't know how long ago she's supposed to have gotten sick -- I always felt like she'd been sick for a long while). So there's two Marys, the Mary James knows and the Mary Laura remembers.

Fake edit:

Spalec posted:

I might be completely making this up, but isn't it 3 years ago when Mary first got sick? So he kind of thinks that's when she "died" as everything changed since then? He only actually killed her recently though before going fully crazy and ending up in back in Silent Hill for some psychological punishment.

Beaten to the punch, dang.

porkbun
Aug 6, 2006

Spalec posted:

That's how I took it. She got sick 3 years ago and changed drastically due to illness so the Mary he knew "died" soon after the diagnosis. Then right before the events of the game James smothered her, had a psychotic break, put her in his car (since he had her body in the rebirth ending) and drove to Silent Hill.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Ars Arcanum posted:

Yeah, it's implied that Mary was sick for a pretty long time, and befriended Laura (who was either also sick for a long time or was hanging out with the nuns/nurses who were treating Mary because she was an orphan). Mary had hoped that if she got well, she and James could adopt Laura. But in her last letter, Mary indicates that she knows she's going to die--the doctors only sent home so she could have a last few days alone with her husband/so she could die at home instead of the hospital.

I'm going to out myself as an idiot and say my first playthrough of the game I thought Laura was a creation of the town. I thought she represented a 'side' of Mary (the part that wanted to be a mother, based on the 'real' Laura Mary met in the hospital), the same way Maria represented a 'side' of Mary.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

Actually that sounds a lot more like a certain other small town we all know and love.

Tell me, has your town ever had any problems with red trees?

Actually, everyone has these plum trees with dark red leaves that drop these disgusting plums everywhere in the summer... No one picks them up and they stick to and stain everything.

Not very spooky, sorry.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Spalec posted:

I don't remember if they ever actually specify the year she got ill, though based on the tape James finds in the hotel, her illness began/was already in progress but not yet serious when they first visited Silent Hill (she begins coughing near the end of the recording). That would make sense though, as it's implied that her disease has had a long course and Silent Hill has gone from the lovely tourist town he and Mary visited to the decrepit abandoned mess it is when James arrives at the beginning of the game (though we can't really tell how much of the Silent Hill we see through his eyes is real or "his" version of the town, since Angela, Eddie, and Laura all apparently see different versions).

marsattacks posted:

See, okay, I didn't know that until just now reading this thread (which sort of makes James coming to SH now of all times make a lot more sense), but one way to read that could be that she "died" to him, in a ~symbolic~ way as soon as she got sick/stopped being desirable to him. The Mary he knows is dead, and there's this new Mary who's sick. His delusion exacerbates that idea and makes the symbolic death seem real to him . (Though I don't know how long ago she's supposed to have gotten sick -- I always felt like she'd been sick for a long while). So there's two Marys, the Mary James knows and the Mary Laura remembers.

Sounds like a valid theory to me, especially since we see different versions of James--the grief-stricken guy who wants his wife to be alive/hated seeing her suffer for so long, the somewhat resentful horn-dog who has conjured up Maria (yet feels guilty for his resentment/killing her and wants to be punished for it), the one Mary describes in her letters to Laura, and even the dead savaged corpse Jameses you find all over town. He does seem honestly shocked when he realizes that he did literally kill Mary, and recently.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I'm going to out myself as an idiot and say my first playthrough of the game I thought Laura was a creation of the town. I thought she represented a 'side' of Mary (the part that wanted to be a mother, based on the 'real' Laura Mary met in the hospital), the same way Maria represented a 'side' of Mary.

I wouldn't sweat it, Team Silent loves to gently caress with the players so much that it's nearly impossible to catch everything on the first run-through. The multiple endings can also be confusing at first--if you don't get the "Leave" ending where James runs away with Laura, it would be pretty plausible to think Laura (and possibly even Eddie and Angela) are just the town's doing.

Ars Arcanum fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 7, 2015

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Although TRSHE appears to be well-researched, I assure you, friends, it is not. TwinPerfect are biased in their research, presenting things out of context AND omitting facts when it's convenient for pushing their own theories. In addition to being extremely intellectually dishonest, they're all-around unsavory people who are toxic to the fandom, they treat everyone who doesn't lick their boots like scum. Bob and I are adamant about them being a terrible influence on the Silent Hill fandom, not only encouraging harassment of developers that they have seen fit to scapegoat (while not doing any research beyond scoping out interviews from years ago, applying the answers to questions that were not asked, presenting them out of context, and jumping to biased conclusions), but also shutting down tons of beautiful debate about alternate theories while declaring that everyone who doesn't think like them isn't a "Real Silent Hill Fan." They research all backwards, starting with a conclusion and working back towards evidence to support the conclusion, while ignoring all contradictory proof.

Here's the ad hominem part.
Also, according to TwinPerfect: If you like Shattered Memories and the things in it, you're a "retard," Cybil is a "butch dyke," and it's also a very wholesome pastime to follow around a mentally ill homeless man and record him without consent while giggling at him. It's totally cool to then go home, put your cool watermark on it, and post it on youtube with tags like "Public" "Mental" "Illness" and "Homeless." And oh, don't forget to include a link to your website in the description, that's a perfectly non-evil behavior to take part in, too.

God, gently caress those guys. lol.

That's all I really want to say about them. Don't take their theories as 100% truth. Not everything they say is garbage (even they cannot warp every piece of proof into something else), but a surprising percentage of it is. If you do your own research, there are plenty of gigantic holes and inconvenient truths they've sidestepped to seem authoritative when they are not. However, you don't have to do your own research to see that their attitudes are despicable and their influence has been overwhelmingly negative.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

VoidBurger posted:

not only encouraging harassment of developers that they have seen fit to scapegoat (while not doing any research beyond scoping out interviews from years ago, applying the answers to questions that were not asked, presenting them out of context, and jumping to biased conclusions)

Poor Tomm Hulett hasn't worked on the series for years and still sometimes gets nasty messages.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
You mentioned the audio funtimes with Silent Hill (Amazing as they are), and I'm pretty sure they're using Binaural audio for the game. The wiki page has two good demos of it, but basically, it's recorded using a dummy head to simulate how our ears actually listen to stuff, with the result of... Well, listen to that first audio demo (with headphones specifically), it's pretty darn amazing.

There is a science book I have that claims that binaural tones can cause an instinctive panic reaction if listened to for more than a minute or two, buuuuut... I've not found any evidence of this, so I think we can stick that one in the Myth category.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 7, 2015

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Kamoc posted:

Also, here's what that Toluca Lake background image looks like on the PC port:

Looks like the Truman show there. That backdrop is so funny at higher res.

NineWheels
Jun 5, 2014
I totally dig this spoilers/no-spoilers split as a dual-run gimmick. I'm pre-spoiled on the game, but I look forward to following both sets of vids!

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

NineWheels posted:

I totally dig this spoilers/no-spoilers split as a dual-run gimmick. I'm pre-spoiled on the game, but I look forward to following both sets of vids!

Same here. I made the mistake of reading about all of the Silent Hills after watching the movie, but never playing the games. So I get to hear cool theories and notice details in the spoiler videos, and appreciate the amazing music and sound work in the subtitled run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I keep meaning to but I've never played any of the games. I'm probably gonna be spending more time watching the spoilers version because spoilers don't bother me and also because I like hearing people discuss stuff even if I'm next to clueless going in.

• Locked thread