Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

VoidBurger posted:

Yeah, if Silent Hill had a coal fire burning under the town that made everybody move out. But it doesn't in the games, that's just something they put in the movie! Heck, there's loads of abandoned American towns out there! If one of them had cult wackiness and a tourist drug ring going on in them, THAT would be the town I'd point to and say "That's the closest thing to a real life Silent Hill.

Me, my sister and my mother played through all the Silent Hills over Christmas 2004, right after The Room came out. We still joke about Silent Hill being based off of the tiny town (less than 2000 people) we grew up in.

It had lots of "cults" (Moose, Elk, Oddfellows and Masons... In fact the biggest building in town in an old Masonic temple), along with 13 (at last count) churches of various denominations, and a ton of drugs used to go through. It's been dying for a long time, they built a highway that goes around it, and the logging industry died out. It used to be kind of a touristy place to stop in and eat/get gas/whatever on your way up the mountains, but another route has become popular. There's really no reason to go there at all anymore.

It's heavily forested and borders a river with a lake just outside of town, it rains all the time and is foggy pretty often. Also had a spooky abandoned lumber mill, a disturbing restaurant with dozens of stuffed big game trophies (they had multiple tigers and polar bear, the dude who owned it was some famous crazy big game hunter in the mid 1900s), and the Elementary and High schools were massive brick buildings built in the 20s. I had to go into the sub-basement of the Elementary school once to help a teacher out when I was in High-school, and the loving thing was filled with old style wheelchairs and weird physical therapy equipment for disabled kids. Freaked me the gently caress out.

Two of the three ways out of town were either a dilapidated bridge over a deep river gorge or a mountain road that was pretty much always washed out or snowed in.

No amusement park, alas.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

Actually that sounds a lot more like a certain other small town we all know and love.

Tell me, has your town ever had any problems with red trees?

Actually, everyone has these plum trees with dark red leaves that drop these disgusting plums everywhere in the summer... No one picks them up and they stick to and stain everything.

Not very spooky, sorry.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Was looking through my imgur folder and found this old thing:

(can't remember if it's a hoax or not)

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

VoidBurger posted:

Well, it's not a hoax because all those in-game textures are real and all those screencaps of Kindergarten Cop are real. Team Silent probably used the film as reference for what American grammar schools looks like (way different than Japanese schools)!

I couldn't remember if someone had just put in the posters from Kindergarten Cop, since the bus, the medical cabinet and the school entrance are kind of ambiguous.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Antistar01 posted:

That track always instantly reminds me of the Silent Hill 4 trailer - possibly my favourite trailer of all time. Certainly the scariest I've seen.

The epic, twelve minute extended version is also... quite something.

And to try to keep this vaguely relevant, here's the Silent Hill 2 trailer for comparison.

I've always preferred this trailer for SH4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIEsveoTELY

• Locked thread