Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

VoidBurger posted:

It used to just be just "New England" for a while there, but there's a few things that have placed it in Maine.

- In Hiroyuki Owaku's (scenario writer of the first games in the series) Double Under Dusk Japanese-only cellphone comic, Silent Hill is placed in Maine.
- A timeline in the Book of Lost Memories' (which is a big theory guide thingy released by Konami after SH3 came out) specifically mentions "Maine becomes a state." Which is kinda weird to include if that's not where Silent Hill is located.
-Downpour also places it in Maine with license plates and whatnot.
- And the weirdest one: On the inside of the liner notes for the Japanese release of Silent Hill 4: The Room's soundtrack, an address is given for Heaven's Night that ends in "ME", which is Maine.

Though it makes sense that it's in Maine, since the majority of Stephen King's novels seem to take place there, and King was a major influencer of the series. The movies shove it in West Virginia because they based it off the real abandoned town of Centralia for no decent reason, imo.
To be fair, Centralia is probably one of the closet things to a real life Silent HIll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nah, 4 takes place a while after 2. James' dad says he disappeared years ago.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Poor Tomm Hulett hasn't worked on the series for years and still sometimes gets nasty messages.
It's even more sad because Tomm was like one of the few people who actually gave a poo poo about the series for the longest time. He had to really reign in Double Helix because their original ideas for Homecoming were even worse than we what we got for example.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 7, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think Leave is the best ending because while its the most positive its still really bittersweet and fits the game's melancholy tone while sticking with the game's theme of Silent Hill being a place of either redemption or damnation depending on what a person wants.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 7, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

muike posted:

Is that really a unified theme across all the silent hill games? People say it a lot but I personally wouldn't be able to say if it's presented the same way across all of them or if it's just a selective reading of the overall concept of the place. Like SH1 was demonic hellscape based on alessa's torment, but SH2 doesn't have the same driving energy behind it so are the two places still comparable?
It wasn't totally clear but I meant to say that it was the theme of Silent Hill 2 that the town is the like that. It's never as a strong theme or as well executed like 2 in the rest of the series but they are bits and pieces here and there throughout the later games. i.e. mentally ill people like the Brookhaven inmates and Travis' mom see Silent Hill as a paradise. Downpour is probably the only game that really follows through on the idea in any sort of capacity. The rest of the games did tend to half-rear end symbolic monsters though, Homecoming is the worst example because the vast majority of enemies don't have anything to do with Alex.

Personally I think its a shame that it was never really utilized that well because its a lot more interesting than the stock cult plot that the vast majority of the series used. Hopefully Silent Hills brings it back, especially because Del Toro is writing it and he's really good at making similar kinds of sad and subdued character-driven horror which is what makes Silent Hill 2 so great.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 7, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's hints in the original trilogy (As well as Downpour, but that's its own continuity) that the town started out as a pretty benign spiritual area that the local Native Americans considered sacred but due to all the suffering caused by all the European settlers and the eventual citizens of the town its been irreparably corrupted. Alessa's powers and her decade long suffering really pushed the whole area over the edge. I like the interpretation that 2 takes that while the town is still an eldritch hellscape it feels kind of neutral in the sense that its not going out of it way to kill people on its own out of malice, its only fulfilling what James, Angela, and Eddie want. And really most of the other games don't really contradict that idea, Silent Hill is actively trying to kill Harry in 1 because Alessa is trying to stop Harry from resurrecting the God at any cost and in 3 its a mix of Alessa trying to kill Heather in order to stop the God's rebirth and Claudia trying to break Heather into becoming the God's mother.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
We also really can't take the game's distances that seriously, I mean it says Brahms, the town established to be the next town over to Silent Hill in 1, is 200 miles away.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 8, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Faerie Fortune posted:

This is a good place to ask actually; I've played and enjoyed Silent Hill 2 but I've only ever watched the first one through LPs and as a result, I don't really understand exactly what happened. I know its not important for SH2 all that much but you guys all seem like knowledgeable folk on the subject so is there somewhere where I can read exactly what the gently caress was going on in that game? I've tried to look before but a lot of it is full of impenetrable theorycrafting and references to things that I just don't know but am still expected to.

So yeah, does anyone know where I can read a clear, no-bullshit explanation of what exactly happened in that game?
The cult sought to create what they perceived as God through the supernatural power of the town. One of the cult leaders, Dahlia Gillespie, had a daughter, Alessa, who had psychic powers making her more in tune with the powers of the town. Alessa was constantly persecuted due to her powers despite her being a nice kid that just wanted to be loved. Dahlia and the cult eventually decided to use Alessa as a sacrifice in order to create God. Dahlia then proceeded to burn down their family home with Alessa trapped inside in order to bring about the sacrifice. Alessa survived, but she was horrifically burned to the point of being totally bedridden.(It's never explained how she survives in 1, but Origins has trucker Travis Grady save her). Due to this traumatic event and magical shenanigans Alessa's consciousness split into two, creating Cheryl. Cheryl was found and adopted by the Masons. Alessa was put into the basement of Alchemilla Hospital, where she stayed for nearly a decade in endless agony. About ten years later, Harry decides to take Cheryl to return to Silent Hill on vacation (Cheryl is also subconsciously drawn to the town as well). poo poo goes down and they're separated. As Harry bumbles around, inadvertently helping Dahlia at trying another shot at making God, Alessa's use her influence on the town to try and kill Harry. It all comes to a head when Harry fights the God and going off the canon ending he is successful in stopping it. Alessa dies during the ritual (It's also assumed that Cheryl died too) but as one final action she creates Heather as her last reincarnation.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DeathChicken posted:

Now let us discuss how I really liked Shattered Memories, thought Silent Hill 4 was underrated in spite of some big what the hell were you thinking gameplay decisions, and thought Origins would have been okay if they hadn't stuffed it full of what the hell were you thinking QTE monsters. I am the King of Wrongheaded Silent Hill Thinking.
I think SM is the best post original trilogy game. Its got its problems but it has some really nice highs and it and Alpha Protocol feel like the precursors to the modern style of adventure games. I think 4 is the second worst, it has some really neat ideas, but they don't execute them that well and the last half is such a slog. I personally think Origins is solid though, considering how little time Climax had to make it and the fact that it was forced to be a prequel it could have been much worse.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That might have been from Origins' bad ending, which reveals Travis has been killing real people the whole time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Angela's mother told Angela to her face that she was asking for her father's sexual abuse. So yeah, even though she isn't, Angela probably thinks she's the Seductress.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DeathChicken posted:

It really is. I don't think I've ever played a game quite like that where I hated everyone, then it was kind of like "Well poo poo, you all probably have good enough reasons for being dickheads."

What I'm saying is that everyone should play that so we can make comparisons to James and his hosed up mental state.
Rule of Rose and SH2 are two of my favorite games because they do such a good job of pulling off this really melancholy, character driven horror. One of the reasons that I love RoR is that unlike the majority of video games it doesn't have a big evil bad guy. The only truly bad person is Hoffman because he's a pedophile. Gregory is just mentally ill and has little control over his actions yet he still has moments of lucidity where he realizes what he's doing. Wendy is just a sickly little kid that just wanted a friend and she loses her poo poo over Jennifer giving Brown attention because she's utterly terrified about being abandoned again. I'd say Rule of Rose one ups SH2 in bleakness though because one of its major themes is how society just tends to ignore the poor, the mentally ill, and children and they leave them to suffer. The final area is also one of the best in a video game, its got some flaws in the sense that you can miss out on a lot because you need to interact with items throughout the area, but its a such a hauntingly sad, bittersweet, and understated final area that really effectively captures of feelings that the devs were trying to express and ties up the game really well.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 19, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ars Arcanum posted:

Also, I loved Rule of Rose. Too bad by the time I heard about the game, it was already eBaying for like $150, so I've only been able to watch LPs of it rather than playing it.
I've always heard it runs fine on emulator.

Sony should have put RoR up on PSN by now seeing is that they own it, but they haven't.

Also there's no canon ending for 2. James would never go home again after what he did regardless of the ending.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I know it wasn't on PSN, wasn't being very clear.

I like that there's no canon ending, game is stronger for it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Raruna posted:

Actually, about this. Does Silent Hill itself still have any "normal" population? If I remember right Laura doesn't see anything there because she's too young to have deep, personal regrets and conflicts. But how could a town have a semi stable population if as soon as someone starts to experience regret for their own actions, or becomes depressed, they start to tread the fog world/otherworld?
It does. Foggy Silent Hill is another dimension and the Otherworld is pretty much Silent Hill's ultimate reality. Most people probably just live normal lives in normal Silent Hill because, at least taking stuff from 2, you have to really want to be in a situation like the Foggy/Otherworld in order to find yourself there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The cult really wasn't going around killing people left and right. The only major crime they were doing that the cops could possibly trace until Heather and Douglas revealed them to the public was drug dealing.

4's backstory might contradict this, but 4's backstory is stupid as poo poo in how convoluted it makes everything so I'm just ignoring it. (There were three different cults in one small town, guys! Really!)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 27, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DialTheDude posted:

Shattered Memories was my first one, but about a month later I got SH1 on PS3 and proceeded to get most of the endings on it. It wasn't until last year where I played 2 for the first time, and it blew everything out of the water.

SM wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be; it seemed like the dev was actually trying its darndest to make the series intriguing again, but it fell flat in that it just wasn't scary compared to the other games, at least from the ones I played.
SM's more of a psychological thriller instead of horror and yeah I really never got the goon hate. While it had its faults what it did right it did well and I feel if Climax was given another go they would have really gotten it. They also made the best out of having to make something related to SH1 because it does some neat things to turn the original on its head a bit. SM was also a bit ahead of its time because it plays similarly in some ways to the new style of adventure games coming out like Walking Dead and Dreamfall Chapters.

Really that's always bugged me that the fans have just dogpiled on all the Western devs of the later games, when most of the time the blame rested on Konami. Origins was an absolute clusterfuck of a development and I really give Climax credit for actually making something decent out of the whole mess. While I still haven't really played through Downpour I also got the feeling that Vatra was honestly trying. (Though the combat was still loving terrible) Double Helix is the only dev that honestly sucked. Also 4 is barely a decent game so I don't get why people laud that game when the last half is just so bad. Origins and SM never shat themselves like 4 did.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 23, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Homecoming is really fun, though,. Shattered Memories isn't. It is at least a game that you play rather than a walking around simulator. I mean, if you're going to rag on SH4 for being a bad *game* at least it is a game.
The same could be said of PT. Combat isn't a requirement to be a game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I hope when Sony inevitably hires Kojima and his team they bring over Del Toro and make Not Silent Hills.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I really can't fathom mobile game whales, I really can't. (And yes the mobile industry calls their customers whales just to reinforce that its pretty much just gambling)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's the only real explanation because the town clearly isn't abandoned, just on the decline. If it didn't exist anymore after the first game the Sunderlands couldn't have visited it because 2 takes place like more than a decade after 1. Henry also visited Silent Hill decades after the first game and even took pictures.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, Grady in Origins managed to call up the Butcher years before that, and he was pretty much identical to Pyramid Head (except with a slightly different helmet, and minus the mannequin loving). It seems like it's always the same basic thing, but tailored for the fuckups of whoever is there at the time.
The Butcher is different from PH in the sense that The Butcher is straight up a personification of Travis' violent urges. James made PH because he wanted someone to punish him for what he did.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
While its obvious that The Butcher is a PH knockoff from a design standpoint it actually has nothing to do with PH in-universe, it's Travis' own demon born from his own problems and not inspired from anything in the town itself.

Homecoming is far far more worse about completely loving up Pyramid Head.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 25, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DeathChicken posted:

I really dug the story a lot. Thought it was neat how the plot was really the villain's story and the protagonist was just kind of there for the ride, plus it had a ton of atmosphere.The game itself...yeah.

Then again Rule of Rose has that problem too (Look at me, I'll hype this game to the ends of the earth!) and I love that to pieces.
Jennifer is nothing like Henry though, because she's totally the main protagonist and not some gormless nothing of a player stand-in. The whole plot of the game is her remembering the events leading up to and of the orphanage massacre and how it made her change as a person as well as how she'll move forward with her life now that she's an adult.

But yeah I also agree 4 is overrated as hell. It's got some great ideas but its botches almost all of them and it becomes such a sloggy chore to play through. Shattered Memories is leagues better and hell I'd say Origins is better just because it was more enjoyable to play.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 26, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DeathChicken posted:

Right, I didn't mean in plot similarity, just that the gameplay of Rule of Rose kind of sucked while everything else about it was really neat.
Ah my bad, kind of glanced over the end of your post so I misunderstood. I agree then, though I think RoR's biggest flaw was how drat slowly paced the gameplay was, enemies were easy to avoid so the combat with normal enemies isn't as much of a chore as people said it was. (The ghosts in 4 were more annoying) I didn't mind it, but man Rule of Rose is alongside Pathologic for me when it comes to "Games that desperately need a remake", at least Pathologic is getting one.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 26, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SelenicMartian posted:

It's difficult to enjoy the story of SH4 when 90% of it has already happened and is exposed to you via 50+ tiny notes slid under the door. It's even more difficult once you realise that the root of the problem is that a boy thinks a room is his mother.
I'm still disappointed that Homecoming cut out the file making fun of Walter and SH4's plot.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DeathChicken posted:

Haven't played Homecoming either (from what I gather this is a good thing), but the people from outside of Silent Hill who are still calling up the weird stuff also tended to be cult magical whosawhatsits. Namely Walter and Heather...although like I was saying earlier, the nightmare Heather sees seems like it was more Claudia's bad dreams, not hers. Vincent says as much too towards the end, right before Claudia shanks him.
It's like a mix between Claudia and Alessa, the latter because they are good chunk of enemies that tie into a pregnancy motif, The Split Worm being the most egregious, as well as how as Alessa starts to gain prominence in Heather's mind throughout the game (To the point that at the end after Alessa acquiesces to Heather after losing to her in their fight to prevent Heather from becoming the new mother of the god Alessa starts sharing Heather's consciousness more, like when she talks directly to Claudia through Heather.)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It would be amazing if this was actually a sequel to the Leave Ending, it would be supervillain levels of petty dickery on Konami's part.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 5, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Silent Hill's greatest monster, Gamblor.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's the theory that Mary spent some time at Brookhaven in the non-mental wards.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

WickedHate posted:

How do people feel about Silent Hill Origins? I kind of want TwinPerfect to be wrong on that because I love, love, love the design of the Butcher. But on the other hand things like the giant red devil boss being so generic & unSilent Hill-y and Alessa being portrayed as evil are the main sticking points for me.

Not to continue harping on the issue, but there's also the mirror transportation which yeah, is something I mainly dislike because it contradicts how I see the series, but I feel like one world was what was intended by Team Silent and regardless of quality original creators should be prioritized over future instalments without their involvement(but since to my knowlege none of Team Silent has come out and said "OWT is correct" I guess that's a moot point).

There was a planned conclusion to this post but since I got distracted for several minutes and forgot what I was going to say it's gone now.
I actually thought Origins was pretty solid considering how freaking troubled its development was, Climax did the best they could with like a couple of months and development and I think they did a solid job. Its severely limited by being forced to be a prequel but it has some cool moments (Travis confronting his dad) and it has some really nice atmosphere, namely the motel and theater. I also like the soundtrack, it feels more dream-like than the other games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ThatPazuzu posted:

Bob talked a lot about how the Maria ending would essentially cause a loop and I'm confused by that. That ending implies she leaves Silent Hill with James but starts to suffer from the illness that killed Mary. Is your theory that she'll die and cause James to relive grief? Or that he'll kill her and end up in Silent Hill again? Personally, I think the first one makes more sense but the second option more accurately describes a loop or cycle.

I don't mean to be contrarian or a nitpicker, I just don't understand. As many times as you talked about the theory, you never explained it. Or if you did I wasn't listening and I'm sorry.

Oh and my personal theory about Maria is that she is corporeal. Silent Hill used James's idealized image of Mary to torment him. But James has been dealing with Mary's hospitalization for long enough that even his perfect, sexualized form of her isn't completely divorced from her illness.
It's because James has learned absolutely nothing in Silent Hill, he refuses to acknowledge that he's responsible for Mary's death and he's totally willing to run off with the town's construct meant to lure him away from the truth. It's why the Maria ending is the only one where you explicitly fight Mary as the final boss, not Maria. James has totally failed and is going to pretty much have it to go through it all again.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Luna Was Here posted:

I realize this is sort of off-topic from the general discussion in here, but whenever I hear Kojima referenced I usually hear about "Kojima things" he's done for games, which people usually reference the Psycho Mantis boss fight to. I haven't played any of the MGS games (ending later today when a friend comes over and I marathon 3 with his help in preparation for MGSV on Tuesday) so I was wondering if you guys had a full list or a link to a full list of Just Kojima Things. I've tried searching for it but all I seem to find is Gamespot Forum Thread after Thread about P.T. and I'm not sure where I should be looking
The entirety of Arsenal Gear in 2 is pretty much the biggest example of Kojima being Kojima.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Shei-kun posted:

Also, Plan 9 was especially unique in that the actor for the old man who died and came back as a zombie thing actually died after they got maybe two or three weeks of shooting done, so they just kept reusing the same shot of him running through a field during the daylight for all the scenes he was supposed to chase people.
That wasn't just any actor, that was Bela Lugosi in his last film role. He died during filming so Ed Wood had to replace him with a dentist when Lugosi's character had to come back as a zombie, its why he's always covering his face.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 20, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Vadinho was the true protagonist all along.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SorataYuy posted:

So the entire game is Silent Hill giving James the soul equivalent of "You sit in the corner and think about what you've done, young man!"
Technically he's giving himself it. Silent Hill is just the facilitator and giving what James wants, to be punished for killing Mary.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Who What Now posted:

It doesn't have to be one or the other, either. James can honestly love his wife and simultaneously believe he's performing a mercy killing while also having other, more selfish reasons to do it as well. James is obviously a complex guy, and his motivations for killing Mary are gonna be complex as well. Everyone in a relationship has been angry or frustrated with their partner at some point, it's completely natural and healthy to have both positive and negative feelings for someone you love. It's just when those negative feelings begin to outweigh the positive, and do so overwhelmingly, that you begin to fall out of love. Or, perhaps in James' case, do something drastic.

That said, I definitely feel that James did, and still does, love his wife and feels remorse for what he did. I don't think he'd try to repress those memories if he didn't, and his other feelings of resentment and frustration must have only compounded that guilt even further. In fact it may just be the guilt over his feelings and motivations that when put on top of the guilt of the actual murder pushed him over the edge into suppressing his own memories like he did. If he didn't love Mary still I just don't see why he'd repress what happened in the way he did instead of trying to absolve himself of the guilt by thinking things like that Mary got what she deserved.
James also subconsciously wanted to be punished for killing Mary, its why Pyramid Head exists in the first place.

But yeah I definitely also took away that James genuinely loved Mary and didn't want to see her suffer anymore, but there was still that part of him that wanted her dead so he could be free of her. That's why SH2's ending, namely the Leave ending, is one of my favorite video game endings, its bittersweet as hell and really human.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

HHammond posted:

I made the horrific mistake of going on the Silent Hill wikia to find out if Angela was born in Silent Hill for an essay I'm writing but couldn't find anything useful. However, what I did discover was that apparently Angela is a misandrist! No seriously, there's a whole subsection on her page claiming that she might be a misandrist for being... distrustful of men after being abused?

Anyway, was wondering if anyone here could answer my question as to whether Angela is in fact from Silent Hill? I don't remember them ever stating as such in the game itself.
Having looked into it, I don't think she was. Because Silent Hill called to her after she killed her dad just like it called to James after he killed Mary as well after Eddie killed the dog and shot its owner. She probably lived in the area though because she knew that the town was bad news.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 2, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It really doesn't rip on SH1 though. What it does it takes the fact that Harry is pretty much Superdad in SH1, a man that fearlessly went through a living hell to save his adopted daughter with barely a second thought, and goes "What if Harry was more of an actual normal dude?" The whole theme is how people aren't pure paragons, and depending how you play the game it can be all about how even overall good people aren't perfect or that people that you thought were heroic really weren't. Like Climax pretty much had to make it a re-imagining of SH1 or Konami would have never signed off on the game and I think they mostly did a nice job with playing with some of SH1's themes.

Climax pretty much started the Telltale formula/was one of the harbingers of the new school of adventure games so SM's execution wasn't perfect. But I'd say it still mostly worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Speedball posted:

First time I ever played Silent Hill 2, I got the In Water ending. Guess I looked at that knife too much...
I think one of the most easy ways to fall into it is not healing yourself until you're almost dead.

• Locked thread