Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing how well this game tackled the material present in its story. Everything it had was grotesque, unnerving, and even hard to watch. And yet, Silent Hill 2 did all of it tastefully. Glad you've gotten around to doing this, VB!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

They argue their points pretty aggressively, but at least they back up their points with sources, so it's pretty hard to dispute.
I'd say they skirt more closer to "hard to take seriously"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN_VL22tjyo

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Laura just walked around town on her own. She had no problem running to a hospital and back. Just assumed she ran the long road to the hotel, past the Historical building, which is why we don't see her for a long stretch of the game. :shrug:

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Weird. Pyramid head showed up in my second playthrough on the roof without fail when I purposefully avoided the In Water ending, which I got last time. Maybe there's a timer for when he appears?

Speaking of, that moment is the only real moment I could call a jump scare in the game. At least, it freaked me out when he just sauntered over to me from off-screen. Silent Hill, as a series, never relies on jump scares, but when they do happen they tend to be pretty well-executed, mainly because there's usually one per game.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I've just learned that Silent Hill: The Arcade is set during the same year as this one. Now I'm imagining a bunch of college students shooting up the place in the background, which James never knows about as he explores.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I love how when James goes to open a locked door from the other side, he never says anything like "I've unlocked the door, I can go through now", but instead "Now it's unlocked" as if the town is allowing him to proceed further.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

No-one should play Shattered Memories though, especially not as their first Silent Hill game. It's a game where you just walk around and nothing happens.
Shattered Memories was my first one, but about a month later I got SH1 on PS3 and proceeded to get most of the endings on it. It wasn't until last year where I played 2 for the first time, and it blew everything out of the water.

SM wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be; it seemed like the dev was actually trying its darndest to make the series intriguing again, but it fell flat in that it just wasn't scary compared to the other games, at least from the ones I played.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

VoidBurger posted:

Hey you guys wanted me and Bob on another podcast well BOOM! It's about Hideo Kojima leaving Konami and how us Silent Hill fans are baffled about this poo poo, lol.
It's really baffling how Konami handles their PR because the tiniest and quietest actions they make tend to have the worst outcome for them and their customers. I remember a few years ago how Jim Sterling made a video condemning their marketing and business decisions around the time the HD Collection released and their response was to blacklist him from ever receiving a review copy of their games. Didn't really matter in the long run because he just went out and bought the games himself after that kerfuffle.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how many people remember, but Del Toro was working with THQ to make a horror game called Insane, but they went under, the game was cancelled, and the rights were returned to him. I'm wondering how many of the ideas he had for the game is going into Silent Hills or if he's going to go back to it at all. We got nothing except a teaser trailer from back in late 2010 so there isn't exactly much to go on.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Antistar01 posted:

I just watched Kamoc's stream of PT, and I'll be watching that Grate Debate analysis next, but... :sigh:

Freaking console exclusives. Sure would have liked to have played that on my PC. Yep... sure would.
Kojima would trigger a jump scare if players attempt to noclip outside the hallway to find things, so it's probably for the best.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I just don't get Konami. Kojima and del Toro serve up the concept for a new Silent Hill game to them on a silver platter, almost everyone and their mothers talked about it and wanted more, and they somehow come to the decision that nobody wants it to happen.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Shattered Memories 2, except you have to buy ingame minutes for your phone.
Pay $1.99 or take a picture of this in-game ad on the town's billboards to continue your immersive, psychological experience!

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Not Silent Hill related, but Bob's sick voice in this update sounds a hell of a lot like Archer/Coach McGuirk. The thought of either character going through a haunted, cult town deserve their own episode.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
And now we have a spoof of P.T. that encapsulates the nightmare of everything Konami has done lately to the Silent Hill franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO4H8jqBtjs

It must have been really heartbreaking for these guys to make this, because of how much they worked with Kojima in the past to help promote his games.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

VoidBurger posted:

ALSO in Silent Hill-ish news, Kojima and Del Toro are still planning to work together on a project! Here's hoping it's a horror game!
A Silent Hill-esque game where Metal Gear REX and Gipsy Danger traverse through a haunted town together before deciding to just crush it and fight water monsters in the lake.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
The stuff you can do to screw around in Metal Gear Solid 3 can probably be listed on a page that's longer than the summary of the plot. Early on, you're in a dark cave and need to use light to get out. You could just use your night vision goggles to find a torch and go from there, but if you just wait around for a bit, Snake's eyesight will adjust to the darkness. No character ever mentions it or implies it as a hint. It's one extra thing that's just kinda there.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't del Toro say that he felt discouraged to work on video games anymore because two of his horror projects went up in smoke thanks to industry bullshit?

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
On the SHW and AlexShepard, I think much of the problem stems from allowing the admins have a lot of free reign for the articles, even though they're mainly supposed to fix up and edit the submitted contributions.

This isn't AlexShepard, but for almost a week dumb crap like this

was on the Wiki for the Walking Dead. Went through the history and found the contributor changed the names and quotes

for a single character. Granted he was a normal contributor, but I'm imagining that Wiki if AlexShepard got his hands on it and how much he would insist is true because "he grew up with The Walking Dead since he was a child" and "sees things not everyone else does".

Anyways, sorry that tech problems got you down, VB. As versatile as Adobe Premiere is, I can think of more issues I've had with it than the times it produced exactly what I was trying to create. You aren't alone in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I think you were thinking of pumice, Bob, not obsidian. My old man kept a chunk of it next to our family fireplace for no reason other than to have it. Very flaky thing that would crumble with a little pressure from your finger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumice

On dogs, I really wish you encountered a lot more behaved ones, Burg. A lot of it comes down to the temperament of the breed and how much attention the owner will put into raising them. My mother was super weary of pit bulls because of the whole bite myth, but literally every one I've ever come across was the sweetest and calmest canine I've met.

But yeah, corgis are still the best and I won't hear otherwise.

• Locked thread