Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Whoa, first person I haven't had to turn my headphones down for in this whole office. Mega loud, mega energy. I like it! I flash her a couple thumbs up.

"Totally! Oh, personality conflicts? Like, all the time, but I guess you guys want something a lil' more specific. So, back before Exocute when I was still proofing this neurotransmitter, one of the smaller companies I was consulting for on the side for wanted a better firewall set up. That kinda thing needs everything on the network rigged up right with it, so I just kinda dumped my program on their main server and let it do its thing.

"Now, you probably already know since I'm basically drawn in lights across most of Tokyo's grid at this point - had to spend yesterday doing something after all - but my thing's kind of all about loud, poppy music. These office drones just expected it wouldn't be a big deal, but they got all pissed off at me when all their system noises got flipped around and started playing pop instead. Redundant confirmation's important to keep out intruders, those weren't just for fun. Okay they were kind of for fun, but they had their purpose!

"So the assholes decided not to pay me and tried to keep the system I'd given them anyways while turning off all the confirmation sounds since they apparently abhor having a little fun with some happy music brightening their lives while they pound out spreadsheets hand over fist. I could have just remotely stripped it and gone on my way, but they seemed so into making it work the way they wanted. Go figure, next day in the news I hear they got basically all their stuff stolen and the building itself ended up hijacked, all because the devices weren't doing resonant confirmation at all, not even redundant checks. Basically they just opened themselves wide open, entirely their fault, and the obvious happened. Botnet found the holes, flooded them, poof. Business is over.

"Proper security is uber critical nowadays, so at least now that I'm pretty well known people won't think twice about questioning my methods. Had a ton of mega stupid employers before I made it big working for Exocute though, I could go on for years about all that. Longer than any of them stayed in business, that's for sure."

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Rose

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Rose Hachimitsu! It's good to see you again. I'm sorry things didn't work out with RESCUE, but I think this is a great opportunity! So, our first question: Have you ever been on a team where someone was not pulling their own weight? How did you handle it?

Rose sits in her seat for a little while, thinking. Though, you wouldn't know that by looking at her face. She just has a look like she doesn't want to be there. (She doesn't.)
After an awkward silence, she finally starts answering in a dry monotone that gradually gets more animated as she talks.

"Well, back in RESCUE, we were doing some reconstruction in the APTO - Guam, probably, after this minor earthquake. And I was working on rebuilding this high school with the rest of the girls. Except for this one, Yuki, who I think was only recruited because of her pretty face, and she was chatting with the locals...well, more like this one guy who looked like he was fed only beef and steak for his entire life and she was acting in a really dumb way...thank God one of those stupid otaku Goons weren't there, or else her pictures would be on, like, twenty billion websites and she'd probably be fired...well, too bad they weren't there.
"Anyway, I got really mad at her and tried to keep levitating this big chunk of wall and also chew her out for it at the same time and I kinda scared that guy away, then the two of us got into a shouting match in front of the rest of the team and then they started yelling at us to get back to work but then I lost my focus and that chunk of wall fell on something, maybe a dog...uh, yeah, that's how I handled that."

Rose looked on with disapproval as her interviewer, who she felt like she knew but couldn't place it, wrote something down on his pad and sighed.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

What are the qualities of a good leader?

Still fired up from her last answer (and wanting to make up for accidentally sharing how she might've hurt a dog maybe), Rose immediately starts talking.

"Well, they should be focused, and work hard, and they should run a tight ship but also be okay with people failing sometimes, and they should be courageous and confident and charismatic and strong and have good aim and...uh, yeah."

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 17, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Takashi Hikaru posted:

Your accomplishments speak for themselves, Goro. But this is a bit different from your previous work - it's a team environment. So, how would you feel about working for someone who knows less than you?

Ah, well, I wouldn't say that I am inexperienced with working on a team. It's just that my longest tenure ended...poorly. Of course, it did result in my employment with THI, so when one door is closed, I suppose. But I've wandered; I have no problem working with those less knowledgeable, skilled, or able. In fact, I view it as an opportunity to be relished. Why, in Special Research they have a name for me--Professorilla! I've been known to take an intern or two under my wing and I am proud to say that only three have gone mad--and I'm told that Emil is one his way to recovery. He's stopped chanting in Enochian and returned to rambling in Aramaic. I'm told that is a good sign.

Of course, were some of my colleagues to be less experienced or able than I, I wouldn't slight them for it. Not everyone has the benefit of being a genetically engineered super-ape. I'm not about to let a little thing like my superior intellect ruin the work environment--or tea. Would you like some, by the way? I've got a pot just about ready to go.

Director Murakumo posted:

Do you think a leader should be liked or feared?
Um...
Oh fine. What are the qualities of a good leader?

Feared or...Oh my. Well, when I was in the care of the Green Fury, I would characterize their management as...primarily fear-based. They are a cult, yes, but they keep people in line with the implied threat of violence. It doesn't exactly inspire trust. A good leader is able to inspire trust and is worthy of that trust. They are as open with their people as they can be about the aims of their work, rather than expecting them to go on faith all the time.

Yes, I would say that inspiring trust and being worthy of trust are the most important qualities of a leader.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 19, 2015

Serf
May 5, 2011

Takahashi posted:

Riza, I admire what you were trying to do, even if I have reservations about your approach. Still, that basic sense of right and wrong is something we look for with candidates for this position, given the kind of decisions you might have to make. I'd like to know, what is your biggest regret and why?

Riza leans back in her chair, pursing her lips to blow an errant lock of hair out of her eyes. She glances down at the handcuffs that secure her wrists to the table. She's spent the whole time listening carefully but her hands have been in constant motion, picking her nails and rapping on the metal tabletop. She's full of nervous energy, and sitting still is clearly not in her wheelhouse.

"Honestly? The whole thing with Councilwoman Medrano. I got predictable, I guess. Whoever was behind the setup, they knew me. They'd seen me operate and they'd planned around it. As soon as I caught a whiff of trouble, I'd be out in the streets, looking to bust some heads. And they didn't give me a whiff, they put out a whole food truck!" She fidgets in the chair, sitting up straight. "I flew off the handle, did something stupid. I was a hothead, but being a hothead had worked out for me for so long, y'know. Never took a moment to just breathe, to think. All that stuff, the pictures, the emails, it was too easy. They laid it out for me, and I fell right into the trap. If I had called someone, maybe taken it to the cops, they could've seen right through it. I wasn't ever very good at investigating things. I took a direct route from one problem to the next. I regret not taking a moment and letting someone better equipped than me handle it. Maybe then I wouldn't have spent a year in New Alcatraz. You ever seen how small those cells are?"

She laughs, but the sound never quite reaches her eyes as she leans back, resting on just two legs of the chair.

Murakumo posted:

Unhesitantly, Riza answers, "A good leader should hear the voices of the people they lead. They should be able to listen to advice. They ain't gotta admit they know less than their subordinates, but they oughta know when the people under them know what they're talking about. But they gotta be able to make decisions too, especially ones that aren't popular. I guess a good leader is like a good gymnast, all the balancing you gotta do. A good leader keeps people straight and on track, but knows when not to push, and when to let people relax. Being a good leader's all about the people under you. Take care of them, and they'll never let you down." She smiles, nodding as her chair rocks forward and hits the floor and she slouches back in it, looking between her interviewers as one foot taps the floor in anticipation and her hair again falls in her eyes.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

"Oh I know this one!" Vivian blurts out as soon as the question is finished. She sets aside the strange leather bound tome she had at the ready with a beaming grin. "It was when I got my body back. Just re-figuring out my coordination took ten minutes. I couldn't see into the ultraviolet spectrum anymore. And I had to walk instead of just sliding everywhere. I just kept at things until I got it right. Cooking sure was an adventure. Yith barely have any of the stuff we do, not even clothes!" she looked down at herself. Her outfit was both present and clean. Ace. She was nailing this interview so far. "Yeah so the only way to get something right is to get it wrong. So I learned to deal with failure pretty well. Well its get it wrong or someone else get it wrong. Through the magic of reading I was able to experience so many failures vicariously. The best way. Safe and no cops. Yeah there were a ton of books at the apartment. My body was being borrowed to get all of them. I couldn't really remember any of the material but it was all familiar my eyes saw it before after all. Anyway I'm rambling. Am I rambling? I must be rambling. I always go off rambling. Please stop me if I start rambling. Anyway, so the food was running out and I figured out what I needed to be able to leave the place. So I needed a job. Not this job, but I need this job. But I looked for other jobs first. I got them, too. You knew that though. Well not all of them of course. I mean no one nails it the first time. The only way to get it right is to get it wrong after all. So uh I signed some what's it calleds. Nondisclosure agreements. Yeah those. I signed those things and I can't give you details. That's when I figured out what those books were good for. I just had to go for it and I figured it out along the way, even if it was-" Vivian's face contorted in a series of expressions. "Nevermind. The point is I learned from all those books really that all that studying couldn't only go so far in the field. So yeah I just rolled with the punches. Just like when I got arrested my first time going outside. Wait can I change my answer to that?"
"Well both naturally!" Vivian cried out over the follow up question. "If the minions hate their leader they'll want to usurp and if they don't fear then they'll think they can, best to prevent both and any funny ideas." Vivian let out a bubbly laugh with a malicious grin plastered on her face. "Oh that wasn't the real question? Well a leader focuses the others right? Keeps them on the straight and narrow. Coordinates and maintains discipline. All that good and boring stuff. Make sure departments aren't working against each other or redundant with each other. Well I guess in this line of work its just make sure the members of the team aren't at each others' throats. Everyone knows how to do their job the leader just makes sure it's actually being done."

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

"Yumi is fine." Her eyes took on a faraway look as she remembered her training. A few moments passed before she answered. "Haiti. A dense population plus a low economic value equals a good hiding spot from corporations. I have no money or possessions aside from the clothes on my back. Even if I did want to be somewhere truly safe and secure for once, I have no means of living there. My only choice at this point is to find under the table work and save up." An uncertainty replaced the faraway look, "Once I have enough to obtain a false ID and go somewhere else... then I don't really know."

She drew her knees under her chin before continuing. "I was only taught how to be a spy, not how to be a normal person. I don't know where I can go to just live like a citizen. The closest thing I've ever had to a friend was a technician who smuggled books for me." Her gaze snapped up to meet Takahashi's, "You understand I am telling you all of this in confidence. If Toku ever subjects me to the same treatment that Hakurei did, I will leave and you will not find me again. I will not be in Japan, or Haiti, or anywhere."

Her eyes fell back to floor while she pondered the next question. "A leader... should be someone who knows what the situation calls for and doesn't wait to act on it. Hiccups happen and people get confused. They need someone to rally behind who can guide them out of a problem with the least amount of hesitation. A caring leader is nice, but not what makes them effective. In that vein, a person who does nothing but shout and yell only makes themselves out to be an idiot trying to overcompensate. We are not slaves and treating us as such is a waste of everyone's time."

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

One look at the interviewers and the word "Tiger Team" and the fake perky attitude the woman came into the room with is long gone. What most of the THI Sales Department know as an lazy young saleswoman is replaced by Vladislava's true nature, The gold standard combination of Russian Military indoctrination and attack-dog morals. Her voice takes a sickly tone as she sneers across the table. "Guess Vladislava didn't get that parking spot huh"

"Vladislava, I have to say your personal file is... very interesting. I have just one question: If you found out your company was doing something against the law, like fraud, what would you do?"

"Vladislava stay quiet, accomplish nothing being accusative without full picture. Need to know how far it goes. The higher it goes the more an issue Vladislava have with it. I could care less about what being done... within reason for course. Committing fraud? no problem. What Vladislava hates is not being included and amateurs who get found out. Goes without saying being discovered by anybody outside of "inner circle" is big problem. Vladislava hate mistakes, Only like mistakes when it helps Vladislava. Ran this "cleaning job" many times, Vladislava bump off loose end, promise secrecy, loyalty, blah blah blah. All bullshit in the end, Once acceptance into "inner circle" is accomplished Vladislava ensures group ceases to exist. No traces. Vladislava made feelings about sloppy work clear did she not. No need involve authorities or outside parties, workplace problems must remain at work. Is it not duty of employee to save employer from embarrassment?

"What are the qualities of a good leader?"

"A good leader should never hesitate, never appear weak, and be able to order a subordinate to their death without blinking. Vladislava have no time for idealistic romantics or second-guessers. Boss who is friends with subordinates is fool, Boss meant to be feared otherwise then why boss in charge. Out there things like rank and status won't save you if your squad questions your command. What good then is friendship? Leaders are not chosen but forced on you. Friends are something one acquires out of free will. One can always make new friends hence it's easy to betray them. They never see it coming, then cry over things that were preventable. Vladislava watch "friends" bleed out... Never seen a boss bleed.

So Icey Seifuku fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 17, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Thomas Atkin Tienni. You've got a pretty impressive resume here. It's a bit... narrow though. Most of the other candidates know how to fight, but they've got extensive training on other fields. What can you do for us that other candidates can't?

That's a kind sentiment of you, miss. A lot of employers I've sent my resume to...well, let's just say current age discrimination laws are kind of dicey when the subject is legally dead. Several times over.

Anyway, I...get it. You look at me you see a professional soldier. Someone who has killed a lot and knows how to kill a lot. And you'd be right...sort of. I'd like to think what makes me different from any other muscle you could hire is...let's call it "perspective." It's one thing to say, after a fight is over, that, oh, your enemy was human, had desires and fears, just like you. It's quite another to actually step into their shoes, bask in their cultures, face their own enemies and certain death alongside them. That's happened to me more times than I can count--the Finns and the Soviets and the Hungarians, the Koreans and the Chinese and the Vietnamese, all the little pieces of national disintegration in the 21st century, all of that. And those cultures steeped in conflict and blood persist in memories and generations longer than you'd think. It's been sixty years since the Xanthic Storm finally started retreating in China, but their memories are still there. You can see it in their art, and in the way the older people talk. And I can sympathize with those memories, really listen to them, because I've fought alongside them, seen the stuff of their nightmares. And maybe that means that when it comes down to the wire, they won't talk about the information we need with someone else, but they will with me.

I...guess that's what I bring to the table. Memories across cultures at their most desperate. How to deal with that sort of thing. Direct experience with peoples from around the world. A century and a half's worth of that.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Um...

I can't remember who, but an old buddy of mine--don't look him up, he's been dead for fifty years--said that it's better to be respected than feared. I like that, but I don't think it's complete.

I figure anybody can look strong, or even be strong, when his friends are watching him, below or above, doesn't matter. And anybody can give a silly speech or listen to their friends or tell people "I believe in you", that's just second nature in high stress. But a leader, the kind of honest-to-Goddess leader that people talk about years after, is willing to place his well being below--very much below--that of the completion of the task at hand and the well being of his friends. I guess in a way that makes him a subordinate. Funny, that.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I've heard the name Alaric Burkhart before. I have to admit, I'm a little worried given your previous work. Team members have to rely on each other, either to get their jobs right the first time or ask for help if they need it. Give me an example of a time you did something wrong. How did you handle it?

Well, that's a tough one. People always think I've done something wrong, even when I'm standing still. But I suppose a good example would be back during the Massive Miniaturization Project. Wukong wanted to make stuff smaller all the time. For, like, personal defense systems for rich executives and stuff? So if they were ever attacked by Xanthic Storm or cultists or something, they could... well, to be honest we all knew they would probably just die slower. But we were going to make a fortune off of it. Shields, one-shot guns you could keep in your purse... I worked on a suit with powered micro-motors in the joints, so you could, uh, run faster, I guess. Hey, I had this great mental image of a banker fighting off ninjas, okay? That would have sold the thing on image alone.

But, uh, once I started I couldn't stop. So after two weeks I'm looking at this full-on power suit with rocket packs and magnetic soles for climbing up walls and I'm thinking "There is no amount of Project Adjustment Reports I can file to solve this." So I call over the other engineers, and they shake their heads some and do the whole "darn kids" routine, and then one of them suggests splitting all the features up! So we have the underskeleton for the suit, then the shoes are separate, the tie with the hidden blade... a whole fashion line! Of course, they didn't pick my project to carry forward, but I modeled it at the Suchīrusutā Expo and I turned a few heads! I wouldn't have got that far if I hadn't asked for help! Of course, that all fell through, but I still have the suit somewhere....

quote:

Someone who isn't afraid to take risks to make what needs to happen succeed. Someone who won't constrain his subordinates for the sake of "being a leader". And someone who can take responsibility for their followers and their mistakes. I'd follow someone like that.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's always nice to meet another mecha vet, Lt. Nishikiori. You've got quite a reputation as a test pilot. I know the type. So, here's a tough question - what assignment was too difficult for you, and how did you resolve the issue?

"And it's an honor to meet you, Ms. Matsui. If it wasn't for G-Force, this ground pounder would be rotting in Kyushu right now. You have a soldier's gratitude, for all that's worth these days."

"My most difficult assignment was, well, it's not something the Research Divisions really want on the record. Fortunately for us they never bothered classifying it: something about keeping administration in the dark." Catherine lets out a wry smile. "Hoist by their own petard. This was 2 years ago, when the head scientists were trying to revive the old portal projects. Every week we'd tear a hole into some fresh hell. You know how a perfectly reliable carbine sputters out in the sand? Imagine that sand seeping into every piston, chamber, and gear as physics dies the slow death around your machine."

"I loved every moment of it. We built new designs daily, even hourly: my mechs were walking through walls and crossing miles of ground in three steps. The junior pilots went even further, said they felt like 'gods'. Poor bastards. You see, our ultimate goal was an expedition into the Dreamlands. We'd step in, build a testing facility on a nice patch of land, then step out. But our calculations hosed up and we were shunted to the dark side of the goddamn Moon, between two warring armies with no way back. I was absolutely furious, but ask me who I was furious at exactly and I don't think I could tell you."

"The other pilots will tell you we cut a bloody swathe through the aliens and forced them to take us back. Don't believe them. We kept as low of a profile as we could, huddling in the shadow of craters any time we saw movement. Strict radio silence made any attack a risk: scavenging was our main lifeline. Was it undignified? Of course it was. Was our mission an unqualified failure? Definitely. But I made drat sure that most of us survived intact. With our remaining equipment I eventually jury-rigged a conduit to the original portal and launched our sorry selves back home. Officially speaking, we were only there for 15 minutes. "

quote:

"A good leader keeps herself and her subordinates calm under fire. She follows orders when she gets them and protects her subordinates when she doesn't. She trusts her people to do their jobs, but does not demand the impossible. A leader knows that lives depend on her: martyrs won't save anyone after they're dead. I've lived by this code for my whole life and it hasn't failed me yet."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Kona

"A good leader... um... they're kind and they make you less confused. That's what a leader does. They take chaos and make it into something simple, something you can um.

Grasp. I guess. Or slice. Imagine, like, a big ol' knot, right, and you think you gotta cut all the ropes going to it to um, save your life... well, a leader reminds you that you just can cut once, through the knot.

Leaders should make life simpler."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

K Prime posted:

Ponponkonā, this is mostly a formality, of course, but we want everyone to have the same experience. It's also helpful for team management later! This one may be a bit difficult for you, but... What is your greatest fear?

Siivola posted:

It's good to see you again, Mariko. I heard about Egypt, that had to be - you know, forget it. I'm just glad you're doing better. Anyways, don't tell anyone, but we both know this is just to check off all the tick boxes on HR's form, so let me throw you a softball. How about... What is your greatest achievement outside of work?

e X posted:

Good morning, Mr. Kranz. Hope the jet lag isn't getting you too bad. We were afraid you wouldn't make with with that snow storm. I've already review your CV, and it's impressive, though THI is more in the business of putting things together than blowing them apart. Still, you can't build a transplanetary megacorp without breaking a few eggs. One thing I have to tell you, the corporate environment is a lot different than the military, and often not in the ways you'd expect. Let's get a baseline, and I can go into more detail. What will you miss about your last job?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Dennis "Hollywood" Gamble

quote:

Dennis - er, Hollywood - I'm sure you don't remember but we've actually met before. During Operation HEAVENLY ENCLOSURE, the one where you got your, uh, big break. I'm pretty familiar with your methods. Tell me, what are three positive character traits you don't have?

Gwahahaha! Of course I remember a pretty lady like yourself! You were in one of the mecha, right? Support wing against the byakee while I was in the jet? Give yourself some credit! There's no way I could've done what I did without your help! Man, those were some good times. I got chewed out a bit for the property damage, but her royal highness was rescued, and no casualties, and that's what matters. Er, sorry, the question, right. Positive character traits, eh? Well, I'm not real good at fancy stuff. I was just some kid in the lower districts growing up you know, put me at a table and I won't know which fork to use, and I can barely tie a tie. That goes on to other countries too, I'm not exactly Mr Diplomat. If you need careful speech, I'm not your man. Speaking of which, I'm also not always the most...patient. Ahaha, you know how we do it in America! Brash and unthinking! Well, that's basically me! I'm no good at holding back, not at holding back my mouth or my fist if a fight breaks out! And a third...huh. I guess I'm rotten at the more scientific thinkin' stuff. I'm just a soldier, ma'am. I leave the high falutin' smarts to the people good at it. I dunno what the monsters we fight are, I just know to fight 'em. If you need Migo-tech disarmed, or a cure to some new techno-virus, or shoot, just need to know how to MAKE a new gun, I can't help you. Those academic types could run rings around me, educationally speaking.

quote:

That they are elected in a free democracy guaranteed by the constitution and smiled on by Lady Liberty, of course!

Oh, you mean like, for military or something?

Well, they have to know how to hold a guy like me back. I'll chaff, I'll argue, I'll get upset, but you don't always need a guy like me runnin' his mouth off, firin' his gun every which way. At the same time a good leader needs to know when to let the guys like me loose. It's like a toolkit, right? I'm a big ol' hammer. You don't always want a hammer. But sometimes you do. So I guess a good leader needs to be smart and know when to use the tools they got. Mind you, a good leader needs to know the people under their command ain't just tools, too. Treat people like that, you won't get their best, and then what's even the point? Oh, and they gotta be a good guy. That's real important. Only the good guy leaders are any good.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Ponponkonā, this is mostly a formality, of course, but we want everyone to have the same experience. It's also helpful for team management later! This one may be a bit difficult for you, but... What is your greatest fear?

Um... Forgetting. Forgetting... all this. Becoming what I was before.

I need to remember why I fight. If I don't, how am I different than my sword? Without.. me, it would just... be. It would have no power. But it could still kill.

I killed... I don't know how many I might have killed.

I can't forget that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Haru, thanks for coming in. You've been through this before, for your internship, but this role... I'll be frank with you. There's no way you'd be considered for this position just based on your resume. But I've read your file, so I know it isn't someone playing a mean-spirited prank on you. Still, you're going to be working with people who are a lot more professionally accomplished. If I were to ask your last supervisor to provide you additional training or exposure, what would she suggest?[/b]

Well, Mr. Takahashi, I don't think it's appropriate to put words in my supervisor's mouth, ha ha, but... if I were to guess... team-building, I think. I've been busy trying to help everyone, but on a team, I'd have to accept some help, too. Especially with cyborgs and psychics and other people that can do so many amazing things, like killing somebody with a teacup. I'm not really special like that, but... learning new skills is always something that happens on the job. Learning about your team takes effort, though!

How'd my supervisor put it? "Someday when you take on half of the world by yourself, you'll be glad to have the other half at your back." Oh, and also, "If you try and take on another arcanohorror with office supplies, I'll fire you before you get yourself killed." And my family'd be pretty broken up if that happened, so... it's time for me to stop trying to do everything on my own.

Not that I'm going to be slacking off at all, ha ha! I'm going to do everything I can!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Um...

Liked or feared?... it's probably better to ask if you want loyalty or obedience? I think if you put it that way, the answer's clearer!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

A good leader, though? I think a good leader... understands people's strengths and how to help them do the best they can. They realize the challenges the company faces and find those that can face them. A leader isn't worth much on their own, after all! Most of all, they have to bring understanding to the table, understanding people better than people even understand themselves. It's kind of like being a therapist. A therapist for victory!

Can I take that metaphor back? I can probably come up with something better... oh well. It'll have to do!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mariko

quote:

Um...
I've liked a few bosses and feared a couple, but I've never really found a, y'know, correlation between actual ability and people liking or fearing them. So, based on my absolutely scientific anecdotal evidence, I'm going to go with "trust" instead. A good leader says "jump" and you're halfway up before you even consider why, just because you know it's better this way. Doesn't really matter if you're airborne because it makes 'em happy or because you won't get chewed out, right?

quote:

It's good to see you again, Mariko. I heard about Egypt, that had to be - you know, forget it. I'm just glad you're doing better. Anyways, don't tell anyone, but we both know this is just to check off all the tick boxes on HR's form, so let me throw you a softball. How about... What is your greatest achievement outside of work?
Thanks, I'm happy to see you're alright too. But really, that's your idea of a softball? Seriously, if you'd asked me about work, I'd actually have some achievements to pick fr- Aw, come on, I'm kidding, don't look at me like that. Does university count as work? Because I really want to pick "finishing my Master's thesis". I'm assuming someone actually read it before you invited me here, so I'm not gonna rehash all the clever bits about alternative parallel postulates and using them to build perpendicular circuits, it's just... Y'know how I was the team nerd? Most of that stuff was just me being clever and Ascalon doing all the heavy lifting, magics-wise. And now, well, Ascalon's sleeping now, so writing my Master's was the first time in a long-rear end while I did seriously big, complicated magic all by myself. Feels pretty great, y'know?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 19, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

Miss Ku - excuse me, Jam. Obviously this is just to satisfy procedure, so I won't take up too much of your time. Let me see... What kind of personality do you work best with and why?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Preparing the offer sheets and setting up the new desks.

Selections within the next 24 hours!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
"Qualities in a leader, huh? Gotta like 'em, no question. Get all happy about what they want you doing, you do it like there's really nothing to it. If you're worried about them chewing you out 'cause you messed up, you're just gonna mess up double hard!

"Past that, they gotta be clear and concise, real crisp and snappy and junk. If you want me improvising, why even bother trying to tell me what's up in the first place? Not that I really need to be led along, but I guess that's just how the work ladder climbs, yeah? Draw me a good path and I'll see about hopping along it to my own tune. Scribble some nonsense and I wonder why you're even gettin' paid. Stuff like that, y'know? Yo, what's with the eyepatch, anyways? Can I ask questions? That not cool? Ah, fine."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Good morning, Mr. Kranz. Hope the jet lag isn't getting you too bad. We were afraid you wouldn't make with with that snow storm. I've already review your CV, and it's impressive, though THI is more in the business of putting things together than blowing them apart. Still, you can't build a transplanetary megacorp without breaking a few eggs. One thing I have to tell you, the corporate environment is a lot different than the military, and often not in the ways you'd expect. Let's get a baseline, and I can go into more detail. What will you miss about your last job?

Eh, I manages. To be honest, the hang over is worse, airline booze is a killer, I tell you. Must be the altitude. So anyway, you worry how I adjust? Ahh, don't. I mean, I loved being in the military. I loved doing my job, even the part i can't openly talk about, which i am sure you know all about, but be honest, that part of my life is behind me. I have been a soldier ever since I left school and have more or less known no other life. So it is nice to explore the private sector as they say, to see how things are done when you are under a budget, when the people in charge are actually have to economize, I am I right? I like that I can still do what I do best, but I have to say, I like the look of my new paycheck a lot.

What will i miss about my old life you ask? Well, I don't now how your new outfit looks like, but were I come from, you could count on your guys, you know. We might be a bunch of jackass in out downtime, but when it came worst to worst, you could count on us. We knew what we were doing, we knew how we would be doing it, you could count on everyone to know their part and give their absolute best when on mission. Because if even just one chain is weak, we might all bite the dust. So motivates you, I suppose. Were I was, it was also all pretty hush-hush, so there wasn't a lot of inter-branch communication or socializing with other troops, so we always had to rely on each other, because we literally had no one else. So, we had an almost family like comradery going on, that was quite nice. So, you could be quit frank with your mates, you know, be down and dirty, because the brass knew in any event, they could always count on us to finish the job when the order came down. I suppose it won't be exactly like that now, in the commercial world.

But like I said, I am more than ready to take on a new challenge, so I reckon teamwork will just be another one.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 19, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

*Ring Ring* *Ring Ring*

Hi there! It's Takahashi. I wanted to share the good news!

Thomas Atkin Tienni
Goro
Lt. Catherine Nishikiori
Ponponkonā 4
Maj. Mariko Sonoda, Ret.
Kumashiro Chihaya Jam

Welcome to THI!

If you have any outstanding information requests, please complete them for our records.

------------------------------------------

To everyone, thanks for applying! There were a bunch of amazing apps and it really made it difficult for me to make selections. I wish I could take everyone, but I've only got so many slots.

Thanks again!

------------------------------------------

Game thread will go up this weekend.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Miss Ku - excuse me, Jam. Obviously this is just to satisfy procedure, so I won't take up too much of your time. Let me see... What kind of personality do you work best with and why?

"Why is my time any more important than anyone else's?" I let Takahashi stew on that for a moment while my AR goggles show me the brief in his employee file. Not one of my parents' stooges. Not directly, anyway. Good. I didn't ask for any kind of special treatment, but it's not his fault..

Whatever. All right, what kind of personality do I work best with? "Someone who cares," I answer, "I mean really cares about people, and making a difference, and all that." So, basically, the opposite of my parents, I add mentally, scowling. Someone else isn't getting this job because they decided to give it to me. "I don't really care who I work with as long as they're in it for the right reasons, y'know?"

Pretty sure Takahashi here isn't really going to grok that. His file says he's a real go-getter, all about getting his next big promotion. So, still a stooge, after all.

The other question, about the leader, takes me by surprise. My files bring up...nothing but a name and job title, when I look at the lady who asked it. Director Murakumo, huh?

"Liked," I say while I try to buy time for my scripts to run. No go, nothing coming up at all. "Definitely better to be liked."

gently caress it. She's the boss, she's gonna hate having been saddled with me without a say-so anyway, and she can't fire me, I think, so I'll run my mouth a bit.

"A leader needs to be someone who deserves their underlings' trust. For sure. They gotta be able to know what their team can do and they gotta be able to help them when they need help and give them free rein when they don't need help, they gotta be someone who has their team's back all the way, and they gotta be interested in more than just their next promotion." A glance at Takahashi. "They gotta be fair, and not show preferential treatment, and they gotta be consistent, and they gotta care, not just about themselves, but about everyone under them. That's what a good leader is."

Yup. Now I kinda hope Takahashi IS enough of a stooge to report that back to Mom and Dad. Let 'em know how much I think of them, for sure. We'll see what the boss lady thinks of that answer soon enough, I guess.

"So, is that all the questions then?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Darn! Oh well, good luck to everyone who got in, and have fun. :)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Time to clock in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

It's been a weird week for me so I haven't had a chance to push things anyways, but K Prime and Ridley, we're waiting on you!

• Locked thread