Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Riza Corazon

Concept: Futuristic Folk Hero

Raised on the streets of Los Angeles, Riza made a minor name for herself when she stood up to a local gang, loudly and publicly calling them out to fight her when they vandalized her apartment complex. A natural-born fighter, the videos of her facing off against the gang went viral. Aguila Digital picked up her story and made her a minor celebrity. With no job and no money for school, Riza felt like she'd finally found her calling in life, something that made her feel worthy. Her exploits became the stuff of local and sometimes national legend as she went up against every criminal organization she could find, often embarrassing their leadership in very public ways. Though she was technically a vigilante, the local police turned a blind eye to her actions. In return, she provided a boost to their stats, and helped to clean up the streets. Wielding a stolen THI Hardlight Blade taken from a dead Yakuza enforcer, she was a champion of the people. Aguila seized upon her growing fame, capturing as much of her work and broadcasting it far and wide, turning her into a household name.

That all changed when she discovered a connection between a local politician and drug-pushing mobsters. In her typical unsubtle manner, she crashed into the councilwoman's office, cutting a swath through her security team. But when she hauled the corrupt politician into the street, she found herself facing down a SWAT team. Surrendering, she was arrested, and in the days that came she discovered that it had all been a setup. The evidence was fake, and she was on the hook for assault, battery, reckless endangerment and a laundry list of other crimes. Sentenced to New Alcatraz, she has spent the last year in jail. But now her prison time has been bought out by Toku Heavy Industries, and she finds herself in Neo-Tokyo, with an opportunity to work off her debt to the NEG should she choose to accept it.

Action +3
Banter +2
People's Champion: +1
(Combat, Contacts, Provoke, Physique, Rapport, Will)

Action: Photonic Blademaster
Riza has been using her THI Hardlight Blade for years now, and she's gotten pretty good at it for someone without proper training. It's not easy to get the balance right on one of these things, after all!

Banter: I'm calling you out!
Well-known for her public challenges, she know just how to get the blood boiling. The first mistake any opponent makes is to rise to her insults.

People's Champion: Somebody had to stand up
Riza's rise to fame started when she finally had enough of seeing her home get vandalized by local punks. No one else was willing to say anything, and the cops were all too willing to focus on more important matters. Riza was tired of waiting on a hero, so she had to become one.

Omega: Can't walk away from people in need
Riza doesn't do what she does for fame or money, she does it because she's been down and low before. She knows what it's like to need help, and bad. So when she sees people who are truly in need, commonplace, everyday folks like where she came from, she has to help out. It's not in her nature to say no.

+5 Provoke
+4 Combat, Physique
+3 Athletics, Contacts, Notice, Rapport, Vehicles, Will
+2 Deceive, Empathy

Stunts
THI Hardlight Blade. +1 to Notice rolls in darkened areas; Weapon: 2
Proprietary THI technology, the hardlight blade is a revolution in weaponry. Weighing almost nothing, it allows the wielder the ability to perform feats of swordsmanship impossible with a normal blade. Riza has mastered the technique of broadening the blade, allowing her to knock foes out rather than slice them open.

Uller Tober-B/4 Armored Bodysuit. Armor: 2
Designed for undercover police, this bodysuit was made to fit under street clothes and remain unnoticeable for those in covert law enforcement. A gift from the LAPD's organized crime unit, this bodysuit has saved Riza's life more times than she can count. She prefers to wear it with just a short jacket, cultivating the superhero look she likes so much.

I got friends in low places. +2 to overcome actions with Rapport when interacting with blue-collar folks
Riza comes from a working-class family, and she knows how to talk to street people. Her name gets her a free drink in most honest bars, and everybody there wants an autograph or a picture with her. She never left behind her roots, and people appreciate her plain speech and honest face. Her kind of people will go a long way to help her out.

Underdog. +1 to defend with Combat when facing a superior enemy or outnumbered
Riza's gone up against bad odds and come out on top before. Just look at the video of her first fight against the Century Block Boys. Seven on one and she still walked away! And later on, when going up against mobsters in stolen power armor, she managed to stay one step ahead, always finding a weakness. In a tight spot, nobody knows how to come through like Riza.

Streetfighting Woman. +2 to create an advantage with Athletics while fighting in an open, urban environment
She learned how to fight on the street, taking on bullies when she was just a girl. It didn't take her long to figure out how to climb on top of a dumpster and drop an elbow on a kid twice her size. In her natural habitat, she still remembers the lessons of those early fights, how to use the terrain to her advantage. On a street or in an alley, she knows just how to trip up the competition.

Stress
Physical 0000
Mental 000

Serf fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Takahashi posted:

Riza, I admire what you were trying to do, even if I have reservations about your approach. Still, that basic sense of right and wrong is something we look for with candidates for this position, given the kind of decisions you might have to make. I'd like to know, what is your biggest regret and why?

Riza leans back in her chair, pursing her lips to blow an errant lock of hair out of her eyes. She glances down at the handcuffs that secure her wrists to the table. She's spent the whole time listening carefully but her hands have been in constant motion, picking her nails and rapping on the metal tabletop. She's full of nervous energy, and sitting still is clearly not in her wheelhouse.

"Honestly? The whole thing with Councilwoman Medrano. I got predictable, I guess. Whoever was behind the setup, they knew me. They'd seen me operate and they'd planned around it. As soon as I caught a whiff of trouble, I'd be out in the streets, looking to bust some heads. And they didn't give me a whiff, they put out a whole food truck!" She fidgets in the chair, sitting up straight. "I flew off the handle, did something stupid. I was a hothead, but being a hothead had worked out for me for so long, y'know. Never took a moment to just breathe, to think. All that stuff, the pictures, the emails, it was too easy. They laid it out for me, and I fell right into the trap. If I had called someone, maybe taken it to the cops, they could've seen right through it. I wasn't ever very good at investigating things. I took a direct route from one problem to the next. I regret not taking a moment and letting someone better equipped than me handle it. Maybe then I wouldn't have spent a year in New Alcatraz. You ever seen how small those cells are?"

She laughs, but the sound never quite reaches her eyes as she leans back, resting on just two legs of the chair.

Murakumo posted:

What are the qualities of a good leader?

Unhesitantly, Riza answers, "A good leader should hear the voices of the people they lead. They should be able to listen to advice. They ain't gotta admit they know less than their subordinates, but they oughta know when the people under them know what they're talking about. But they gotta be able to make decisions too, especially ones that aren't popular. I guess a good leader is like a good gymnast, all the balancing you gotta do. A good leader keeps people straight and on track, but knows when not to push, and when to let people relax. Being a good leader's all about the people under you. Take care of them, and they'll never let you down." She smiles, nodding as her chair rocks forward and hits the floor and she slouches back in it, looking between her interviewers as one foot taps the floor in anticipation and her hair again falls in her eyes.

• Locked thread