Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss

I get what you're going for here DCT butNietzsche would troll the gently caress out of anyone who used smilies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall

by LadyAmbien

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I get what you're going for here DCT butNietzsche would troll the gently caress out of anyone who used smilies.

Nietzsche trolling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alHu-nGqDHY

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bwee
nietzsche is a piece of poo poo for not having an easy to pronounce name

deep dish peat moss

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to install emoji on his iPhone

deep dish peat moss

Bwee posted:

I think it sounds kind of Neit

ulvir

Bwee posted:

bwatts

Bwee posted:

it's not so hard. he's a piece of poo poo for a bunch of other reasons

tao of lmao

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to install emoji on his iPhone

Bwee
If you meet the Buddha on the road, install emoji on his iPhone

ron color

Bwee posted:

If you meet the Buddha on the road, install emoji on his iPhone

deep dish peat moss

My favorite part of the name Neitzsche is that you can mutter "eat poo poo" under your breath and then just say "oh, no, sorry, I was thinking about Neitzsche"

les fleurs du mall

by LadyAmbien

My favorite part of the name Neitzsche is that you can mutter "eat poo poo" under your breath and then just say "oh, no, sorry, I was thinking about Neitzsche"

----------------

playground tough
old white men

Commie NedFlanders

Holy moly I just found and read this whole thread and it's a very good thread where the feck was "this guy" ( :ocelot: ) 2 months ago

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Ace of Baes
cajn someone smart tell me why peter singer is a retard

----------------

Cyber Dog

CAT BRUSH posted:

the first one because he is beyond good and evil

Cyber Dog

suicide bi cop posted:

he's not he just isn't that good and he is too exacting about nebulous things i.e. he's like a utilitarian and analytic if i recall. but i dont think he is having a bad effect on the world or creating a bunch of intolerable pedants, its tempting to think he's like the richard dawkins of food but rlly he's not

Bwee
I'm a philosophy teacher and student, ask me anything

Ace of Baes

Bwee posted:

I'm a philosophy teacher and student, ask me anything

what are ur thoughts on peter singer and effective altruism

----------------

Cyber Dog

peter SEEGER on the other hand

Bwee

suicide bi cop posted:

what are ur thoughts on peter singer and effective altruism

I think altruism is nice :) You're helping your friends.

Ace of Baes

Bwee posted:

I think altruism is nice :) You're helping your friends.

can utilitarianism be good? ive read arguments for and against, it seems like the arguments against focus on defining it rigidly or saying "it's not utilitarian anymore if theres exceptions" which seems dumb to me, if the general idea is doing the most good for the most people

----------------

POWERBALL

by zen death robot
one of my friends really likes peter singer and donates a ton of his income to charity, is a vegetarian, and is also one of the nicest people i know. :shrug:

----------------

bog pixie

dogcrash truther posted:

Do you think free will is a useful or meaningful concept?

No, and neither is determinism

dogcrash truther

suicide bi cop posted:

hes not that, but his ideas are of limited...utility >:)

treasure bear

[in physicist voice] philosophy is trash

dogcrash truther
[in dpimpjedi voice] physics is philosophy

bog pixie

Bwee posted:

hello, please give me, a scientist, a crash course in philosophy of science. i know of/about thomas kuhn and paradigm shifts and popper and falsification but is their work still considered "correct"? most scientists are extremely nonphilosophical and most don't even want to know this stuff but i do and am curious. thanks

kuhn is cool but it seems like most people think science is converging toward something, even a lot of scientists

treasure bear

philo -> have sex with
sophy -> knowledge

Bwee

suicide bi cop posted:

can utilitarianism be good? ive read arguments for and against, it seems like the arguments against focus on defining it rigidly or saying "it's not utilitarian anymore if theres exceptions" which seems dumb to me, if the general idea is doing the most good for the most people

Yes

Ace of Baes
i feel liek ive gotten even more questions that when i came into this thread

----------------

POWERBALL

by zen death robot

suicide bi cop posted:

i feel liek ive gotten even more questions that when i came into this thread

that;s the power of philosophy :chord:

----------------

les fleurs du mall

by LadyAmbien

suicide bi cop posted:

The usual go-to criticism of utilitarianism is that whether it's positive (generating most happiness) or negative (minimizing suffering) it's almost impossible to agree on an objective measure of happiness or suffering. Like, how do you measure 0.1 happiness?

----------------

Bwee
With a happinometer

les fleurs du mall

by LadyAmbien
of course there is an objective happiness measure and it's really straight forward but not many academic peer-review types are willing to count "fat spliffs" as a unit of happiness.

----------------

Commie NedFlanders

in sexual response studies they tie a little wire thingy with your willy and see what makes it jump to tell when ur feelin froggy is that like a happinemeter?

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

bwatts

POWERBALL posted:

one of my friends really likes peter singer and donates a ton of his income to charity, is a vegetarian, and is also one of the nicest people i know. :shrug:

peter singer thinks youre an incredibly bad person for not doing that

bwatts

suicide bi cop posted:

the problem people have with utilitarianism is basically this as far as i can tell:

if you're a utilitarian, and you encounter the trolley problem (look it up itll make the post long), you should kill the one man
if you take the position further and make it so instead of flipping a switch you have to actively kill another person, then you should still kill them.

that second problem, in my experience divides people, so you might agree so far, but it definitely leads to things most people intuitively think are unethical. here's an example:

you're a doctor in a small town, and one day a man appears out of thin air in front of you; he has no home or family and you do some tests or whatever and he is perfectly healthy. you notice that he has some perfectly healthy organs which would really help out your patients who have some less healthy organs whose families are sad about it. a perfect utilitarian would kill him without hesitation. most people, i think, wouldn't kill him at all.

dogcrash truther
define "good." now quantify "greatest good." now touch your left elbow with your left hand because you've already done the impossible twice today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime

from page 2:

Hick Magnet posted:

Define "best"

good progress so far

• Locked thread