Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

fatherboxx posted:

It does not look that much promising, but I hope that DC is going to ease up on editorial control, maybe offer better contracts and the good authors would come back.

Interestingly, there are no ALL-STAR, LEGENDARY CREATOR type announces, it is going to hurt, surpsingly small amount of Geoff Johns also. A lot of old farts and Lobdell :barf:
The editorial control part makes me wonder how long that many of these people are sticking around; even if the individual editors have their heart in the right place, DC seems way less like a place where up-from-the-indies guys stick around. Remember when the Batbokos brought in like, Dylan Horrocks, Eddie Campbell, Jon Lewis, Damion Scott, Andersen Gabrych, James Jean, Mike Huddleston, Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Cameron Stewart, Javier Pulido, Brian K Vaughan and a bunch of other people to shake things up after like a decade of Chuck Dixon and his crew? Within a few years (almost) all of these people were gone from DC and guess who was back writing Batbooks (hint: Chuck Dixon).

There's actually a lot of new-ish/cool creators on that list, but I'll be more excited when you see Ming Doyle/Becky Cloonan/Annie Wu/Babs Tarr/Sonny Liew/Gene Yuen Yang/Brenden Fletcher/David Walker/Steve Orlando getting actual runs on books with clear support from DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

While I really can't help but laugh at how DC is doing some sort of mini Crisis AGAIN, bringing Earth 2 heroes to Earth 1 was probably going to happen anyway since it was a given that their Earth was going to be destroyed.

It feels like DC saw what Hickman was doing with Avengers/New Avengers and all this work and plot to get to Secret Wars into a "new" streamlined 616, and said "Oh gently caress we need to do that poo poo too!" All the talk about the reveal of Convergence on the heels of Secret Wars and then AFTER revealing what it was going to do DC finds a way to asspull something similar. Not quite giving the pre Flashpoint universes again but not Gnu 52 either. It would be nice if this meant the legacy heroes taking the reins back again, but I know better. Wally will probably sacrifice himself to make this poo poo happen.

Also obligatory JLA delayed for three months after the second issue due to Hitch's art.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Indeed

And did this awesome Rockabilly Batman redesign

Okay, now I want to see a Streets of Gotham movie, with Michael Paré as Batman and Willem Dafoe as Joker and Lee Ving as Harley Quinn and...

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Jiro posted:

All the talk about the reveal of Convergence on the heels of Secret Wars and then AFTER revealing what it was going to do DC finds a way to asspull something similar.
But Convergence was rumored before Secret Wars as an event to take place while editors were moving and information about it released before Secret Wars as well. Plus no one exactly knows what the hell Secret Wars is going to do.

Would DC be doing something like this without Convergence? Possibly, but the event is only as big as it is because of editorial moves causing books to be put on full stop. It's either an event or no mainline books for two whole months. Marvel is doing Secret Wars because of other reasons.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Why exactly?

It certainly isn't one of Rocafort's best but it perfectly conveys through the dialogue and the corporal language the characters' personalities.

Jason being the resenter, Roy the optimist and Kori the troubled one. Roy's dialogue it also perfectly shows how much he cares for Kori and how much he loves her (even if at that point is a little one sided on his part).

It perfectly shows that the man writing that dialog cannot actually write and it's also a million words and unless we're suddenly back in the era of Claremont/Byrne X-Men I don't really feel the need to read a million words.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I went out and picked up the last couple of issues of Outlaws. Not as bad as the last issues I read ages ago. If Lobdell is bringing his A game and the artist is way better then the one on Outlaws(as seems to be the case) then I'm hype.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Edge & Christian posted:

The editorial control part makes me wonder how long that many of these people are sticking around; even if the individual editors have their heart in the right place, DC seems way less like a place where up-from-the-indies guys stick around. Remember when the Batbokos brought in like, Dylan Horrocks, Eddie Campbell, Jon Lewis, Damion Scott, Andersen Gabrych, James Jean, Mike Huddleston, Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Cameron Stewart, Javier Pulido, Brian K Vaughan and a bunch of other people to shake things up after like a decade of Chuck Dixon and his crew? Within a few years (almost) all of these people were gone from DC and guess who was back writing Batbooks (hint: Chuck Dixon).

There's actually a lot of new-ish/cool creators on that list, but I'll be more excited when you see Ming Doyle/Becky Cloonan/Annie Wu/Babs Tarr/Sonny Liew/Gene Yuen Yang/Brenden Fletcher/David Walker/Steve Orlando getting actual runs on books with clear support from DC.

I think the difference here is that this is the result of a from the top-down mandate that encompasses almost the entire line, rather than a single editor's attempt to bring in all his indie buds. This is a clear response to unseen success in the form of books like Hawkeye, Ms Marvel, Batgirl, and Harley Quinn all of which were proof that there actually is an audience for a more visually and tonally diverse line instead of JUST the grognards they've been pandering to for over a decade.

I mean this is DC, and who the gently caress knows is really going on in their head, but all of these announcements have been presented under the guise that they are looking for creator-first continuity loose stories that celebrate diversity. I mean this is exactly what people have been asking for and the idea that they're immediately going to go back to their old tricks sounds a little unlikely even given DC's history.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

Starfire and Roy's relationship was so cute, Lobdell is just a brilliant writer.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Indeed

C'mon dude, you surely can give a better argument than a page from four years ago.
Pretty tangential, but seeing that first page reminded of the original controversy, and I was wondering what our resident Red Hood fanatic's feelings on those pages and posts like this. were then, and are now?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Literally The Worst posted:

The announcement of Section 8 makes me feel like a dimensional traveler who came from a world where Megarobohitler won the war and ended up in one where everyone has a puppy.

I think you meant to add "welded to them" at the end of that sentence.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Where is Azzarello ending up after all of this? I don't see his name attached to anything is he leaving DC?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Literally The Worst posted:

It perfectly shows that the man writing that dialog cannot actually write and it's also a million words and unless we're suddenly back in the era of Claremont/Byrne X-Men I don't really feel the need to read a million words.

And having long dialogue is bad because?

Lobdell sometimes does have some weird composition on his sentences but overall the way the characters talk fit their personalities and also is in line with the setting of the series.

Besides, Lobdell isn't even the "wordiest" writer on DC, that honor correspond to Snyder.

WickedHate posted:

I went out and picked up the last couple of issues of Outlaws. Not as bad as the last issues I read ages ago. If Lobdell is bringing his A game and the artist is way better then the one on Outlaws(as seems to be the case) then I'm hype.

Lobdell has really brought his A game for his return at RHATO. He managed to turn an editorial mandate plotline (the drug addiction) into a very compelling one with tons of great characters moments.

He also turned Crux into a great character with just one issue

Hell, just give me more interaction and banter like this one and I'll be extremely happy

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Nystral posted:

Where is Azzarello ending up after all of this? I don't see his name attached to anything is he leaving DC?
I don't think he's leaving, but I hope he gets something. Kind of surprised he didn't end up on Batman Beyond since he's writing that storyline for Future's End.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hahaha somebody wrote "tbh" as actual dialogue in a superhero book

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's not even good piles of words. It's just bullshit.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Dark_Tzitzimine's year-long Red Hood thread where he was the only poster was this subforum's proudest achievement.

Anyway, glad Starfire sucks less now. Also, does it seem that DC is finally starting to drift from the house style they were so adherent to immediately after the relaunch?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'm loving almost all of the new books, but incredibly frustrated that Venditti is going to still be crapping up GL and Flash. I've been buying Flash just to make sure if there was a post-convergence change I wouldnt have to be out of the loop on this Wally and future flash business, but if this is just the ongoing direction for a while then I'm totally out like I've been with GL.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space_Butler posted:

I'm loving almost all of the new books, but incredibly frustrated that Venditti is going to still be crapping up GL and Flash. I've been buying Flash just to make sure if there was a post-convergence change I wouldnt have to be out of the loop on this Wally and future flash business, but if this is just the ongoing direction for a while then I'm totally out like I've been with GL.

Last GL's issue was pretty decent though.

As long Venditti stops with the crossovers and never touches the reservoir bullshit again I think it will be fine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

DiDio emphasized in his statement that DC’s focus will shift away from line wide tonality and towards diversity and creative freedom. “In this new era of storytelling, story will trump continuity as we continue to empower creators to tell the best stories in the industry,” he said.

Well drat, DC might have more than a handful of books worth reading again.

To be fair, DC's been all about putting stories before continuity ever since Flashpoint! It's just that a lot of the time those stories were poo poo.

Also I guess I'll see if Starfire could be the second coming of Palmiotti/Conner Power Girl, but goddamn Harley Quinn is so bad I just don't know if I can trust them.

Also also, I pray that the cancellation of Trinity of Sin and the merging of universes means that both the Question can be a person again, and the Phantom Stranger can be an actual Stranger and not just Phantom Judas because goddamn it no I won't stop ranting I still think it's dumb and I will never shut up about it

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

DT can you please tell me how this drawing is actually real good

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

Also, does it seem that DC is finally starting to drift from the house style they were so adherent to immediately after the relaunch?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: DC has been moving away from a unified house style for a while now and even the early parts of the New 52 showed more range than say mid-00's DC. This is probably the most visually diverse group of DC books, in just about forever.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Semper Fudge posted:

Long answer: DC has been moving away from a unified house style for a while now and even the early parts of the New 52 showed more range than say mid-00's DC. This is probably the most visually diverse group of DC books, in just about forever.

I dunno, I didn't really notice much divergence until some of the newer Bat-books like Gotham Academy got introduced, and now it looks to be spreading outside that line. Just glad they're getting away from moody boring not-quite realism with drab colors picked out of a movie poster.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Space_Butler posted:

I would not put any hope in anything Venditti is doing with the Flash. That book really needs someone who's atleast familiar enough with Flash stories that he doesn't write a crappy version of the same story Waid did in the loving 90s. Wally's been so poorly mishandled I can't help but think Venditti had no clue what to do with him and he just kind of got tossed in the book. gently caress, Wally was on the cover of the last issue and literally didn't even appear in the last 2 issues. I truly hate myself for continuing to buy such a lovely book, at this point, purely out of habit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Semper Fudge posted:

Aside from like, JH Williams on Batwoman there really werent a lot of outliers. I guess Chaing on WW and Manapul on Flash were pretty distinct, and Capullo is slightly more expressive/cartoony than the house style. Nothing anywhere close to Babs Tarr or the stuff from this most recent slew of titles.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Aside from like, JH Williams on Batwoman there really werent a lot of outliers. I guess Chaing on WW and Manapul on Flash were pretty distinct, and Capullo is slightly more expressive/cartoony than the house style. Nothing anywhere close to Babs Tarr or the stuff from this most recent slew of titles.

Just from the launch off the top of my head, Travel Foreman on Animal Man, Freddie Williams on Captain Atom, Mateus Santolouco on Dial H, Andrea Sorrentino on I Vampire, Kieth Giffen on OMAC, Yanick Paquette on Swamp Thing.

e: He's not wildly stylized, if that's all you can do to not be branded "house style", but Pat Gleason has gotten me excited to crack open B&R every month for four years now.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 7, 2015

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Venditti and Booth still on Flash is lame and Wilson doing the Earth 2 relaunch is the worst possible outcome but on the other hand I'm super excited for a lot of these new books. I really liked Ben Percy's Detective Comics 2 parter and the stuff he's saying on twitter about ignoring the TV series and bringing back the Lemire stuff makes me really interested in Green Arrow again after Kreisberg really shat the bed with his rubbish arc. Also Gene Luen Yang for Superman is a really weird but cool choice and Riley Rossmo's art is perfect for a proper Hellblazer book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently DC have asked press to remove the miniseries designation from the books that were announced as such? I guess they're doing the Marvel thing of waiting to see the numbers and if they're good, they'll just make more? I suppose for something like Harley/Power Girl, there's a shot that the readers of the main book will latch on to it. But Ennis ain't doing Section Eight indefinitely, and Bat-Mite won't make it past 6, mini or not.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Minis sell less than ongoings. Labeling them as such, unless they're an event series, is willingly losing money.

It's as simple as that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

Apparently DC have asked press to remove the miniseries designation from the books that were announced as such? I guess they're doing the Marvel thing of waiting to see the numbers and if they're good, they'll just make more? I suppose for something like Harley/Power Girl, there's a shot that the readers of the main book will latch on to it. But Ennis ain't doing Section Eight indefinitely, and Bat-Mite won't make it past 6, mini or not.

That reminds me of how for awhile Venom just had mini series after mini series instead of giving him an ongoing.

I hope Section Eight doesn't last long. If it's as it was in Hitman(never read it) it'll probably just be really offensive and awful. I'd rather have Ennis on Superman or Action Comics. Yeah, The Boys and all, but that was an alternate version that's nothing like Superman, really. He seems to respect the actual Clark a lot and it'd be a good way to filter out his terrible writing traits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

CHECK OUT MY BAD OPINIONS N poo poo.

I know I'm a terrible poster but could you just stop?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I know I'm a terrible poster but could you just stop?

Gotta at least hand it to him for being genuine and not a gimmick account.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jiro posted:

Yeah. Dude likes what he likes and he's not hurting anyone. I'm sure we all have dumb comics/games/movies/shows/songs we love.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Batman Beyond has me hyped for a kid I saw at NYCC last year at the DC Digital panel.

After Batman Beyond 2.0 was announced as canceled, a boy somewhere around 10-12 years old approached the mic during Q&A and asked when it would come back.
"Uhh... it's canceled, it's not coming back for now," the panel told him.
"But he was my favorite character," the boy said, not on the verge of tears, but clearly disappointed.
The panel gave prizes for questions, and gave him a Nexus 7 to make up for shooting down his favorite book... which kind of adds insult to injury, right? "Sorry your favorite digital title is ending, here's a tablet that won't bring it back!" Oh well, the kid was happy about it and the value of the prize turned the audience away from a downer moment.

There was another just-can't-let-go question regarding Smallville...
"So, you said Smallville would end after this season, but when will the next season come out?"
"There won't be a next season, it will be over when this season ends."
"But there are still some loose ends."
(everyone in the audience telepathically projects) "GET THE gently caress OVER IT GEEZ"

Anyways, that kid is going to be so excited when he sees the new releases this summer. Don't disappoint, Terry!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe he got excited for Futures End and now isn't such a Batman Beyond fan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jiro posted:

His name is pretty much DARK TITTIES ARE MINE. He's a gimmick account, just a very consistent one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've disagreed with D_T a lot, but whenever I read his posts I feel like a lot of genuine effort went into the ideas he has. I'll feel like poo poo if he ever does turn out to be just a troll, but he seems like an alright dude who's really smart about things and just ends up wrong a lot. I don't really mind him liking that silly game series either. Who cares? Like Gaz said, we all have stuff like that we like, if not more.

Basically, let ye who has never had awful opinions or liked a weird series throw the first stone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rhyno posted:

His name is pretty much DARK TITTIES ARE MINE. He's a gimmick account, just a very consistent one.

It's the name of a demon from the SMT series, as well as the name of an Aztec god with Dark in front of it.The fact that so many tits puns can be done with it is merely happy coincidence, I believe.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Who gives a poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WickedHate posted:

I've disagreed with D_T a lot, but whenever I read his posts I feel like a lot of genuine effort went into the ideas he has. I'll feel like poo poo if he ever does turn out to be just a troll, but he seems like an alright dude who's really smart about things and just ends up wrong a lot. I don't really mind him liking that silly game series either. Who cares? Like Gaz said, we all have stuff like that we like, if not more.

Basically, let ye who has never had awful opinions or liked a weird series throw the first stone.

Normally you'd be right but D_T always turns a deaf ear to earnest attempts to engage him in a dialogue about the troublesome elements of the things he likes. In posts like this and this there's no no malicious tone and are pretty clearly just some guys trying to better understand him and his, charitably, unusual tastes, but he ignores them without fail and plays everything off as a general difference of opinion on quality. That's suspiciously evasive at best and cowardly at worst.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Interestingly, there are no ALL-STAR, LEGENDARY CREATOR type announces, it is going to hurt, surpsingly small amount of Geoff Johns also. A lot of old farts and Lobdell :barf:

I dunno, I feel like Hitch doing a Justice League book is the Big Blockbuster Book announcement that's gonna sell by the truckload, but DC's thrown it in the middle of every other piece of news because I guess unlike Marvel they don't know how to milk announcements for all they're worth (which to be honest I'm thankful for).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Please everybody knows its Dark_TitsAnime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ElNarez posted:

I dunno, I feel like Hitch doing a Justice League book is the Big Blockbuster Book announcement that's gonna sell by the truckload, but DC's thrown it in the middle of every other piece of news because I guess unlike Marvel they don't know how to milk announcements for all they're worth (which to be honest I'm thankful for).

I enjoy a good dog and pony show. Stan Lee wouldn't want Marvel any other way.

• Locked thread