Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It sounds to me like they've designated a certain # of books to be part of the larger DC universe continuity and a certain number to be standalone, which I think is a great idea, but I wish they signified which is which somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's all for this September's "Crisis on Infinite Earths" gimmick month :)

The one thing I really wanted from the New 52 was a month when each of the titles was set on a different one of the 52 Earths. This was back before it was revealed that loads of them were just Elseworlds with the serial numbers filed off, so I imagined basically all of the comics getting to invent crazy status quos and going a bit wild. I'd have bought all of them if it had happened, I expect.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Dunbar posted:

It sounds to me like they've designated a certain # of books to be part of the larger DC universe continuity and a certain number to be standalone, which I think is a great idea, but I wish they signified which is which somehow.

That would be a great way to drive down sales of the ones that aren't part of primary continuity, regardless of quality.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

BrianWilly posted:

Pfft, wasted opportunity to not show a glimpse of the CW DCTV Universe in that last Convergence issue.
I don't think they really include TV-adaptation shows/movies into their comics multiverse. The only ones I can think of that transitioned into comics are Batman Beyond (Earth-12) and Justice Lords (Earth-50.)

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I think of all the 8-page stories this month, Batgirl's was actually my favorite. It seemed to be the one to most effectively use the format and tell a fun little story that sells every aspect of the book in a bite sized form. Too many of the stories this month were just teases of things to come instead of full-on done-in-one stories, which was a little disappointing.

I really enjoyed Black Canary and Hellblazer on top of that. Walker finally brings back Booyah in Cyborg, which is really anyone's been asking for at this point.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 28, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think it's that thought out. From interviews, it sounds like he's just using his own idea of a classic JL team which won't be influenced or have an influence on any other book.
Too bad it didn't get a Sneak Peek.

Too bad it has no chance in hell of shipping anywhere close to on time. He's probably already 4 months behind schedule and asking him to do an extra 8 pages would've put him even further behind.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Got through all the previews today. I really liked Black Canary, Constantine, and Earth 2. Add that to Midnighter, Grayson, and Aquaman and that's six books I feel as though I'm going to want to pick up from DC and that's more than at any point since the New 52, so that's a success in my view. Most of these books feel pretty disconnected from the DCU at large though so maybe that has something do with it. I dunno. I feel like I might need to go back and connect some dots on the earlier Earth 2 stuff though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That fuckin' Grayson Batman, though, that's the coolest Batman design I think I've ever seen.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Daniel Wilson is still writing Earth 2 and after World's End I can't imagine how anyone can expect it to be good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Daniel Wilson is still writing Earth 2 and after World's End I can't imagine how anyone can expect it to be good.

I never read that, but I read the eight page preview and like it. From what I can tell Worlds End was a weekly event comic that had a rotating team of writers, so of course it was bound to suck.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interview with Jeff King about Convergence ending

quote:

What do you see as Brainiac's ultimate endgame?

The Brainiac in Convergence is a hologram of the entire DCU. The Ultimate Brainiac we meet in Convergence that is a living record of every story that one of his iterations has, or will, experience. He possess knowledge of every hero, villain, city or time line that has or will ever exist.

His goal as god machine was to be a receptacle of that knowledge starting with the beginning of time and extending out forever, in every universe and every time line. But Crisis changed that, derailed it if you will. This uber Brainiac became obsessed with restoring the balance of creation and destruction that was present at the beginning.

So he began collecting the doomed cities and timelines in an effort to understand them and use that knowledge to reverse the Crisis and restore the natural order of the Universe. That change from observer to player corrupted him, because the timelines that he absorbed to gain the knowledge of them were corrupted themselves. The convergence of all time lines back into one has been his goal since Crisis. His endgame if you will.

:raise:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Convergence started out and it seemed like an interesting cool idea to me and then each successive issue came out and I got sadder and sadder and then this clusterfuck happened. "We have to protect the timeline and make sure nothing changes eh, but if Post-Crisis Superman and Parallax want to go help with COIE then why not?"

*cut to N52 Superman and Supergirl*
"So what happened?" "Nothing I guess"

I guess that's what I get for trusting Scott Lobdell to write a good comic (I know he only co-wrote it but Scott Lobdell is a toxic influence on others).

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TwoPair posted:

"So what happened?" "Nothing I guess"

That right there is the candidate for a new DC thread title. So does this mean there's a new pre Flashpoint DCU out there, that maybe now had Zero Hour, Final Night, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis with reality punches still intact, 52, Countdown, AND Final Crisis???? But more importantly, a Superman with Lois and baby with cousin Connor, and a Dick Bats and Damian Robin fighting crime?????

Also Nu New Earth 2 Batman somehow manages to out bedazzle the original Nightwing costume. :golfclap:

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I don't understand why people are so happy about convergence. It doesn't change anything. In fact it just re-cements the new 52 canon as being the only one because now they completely changed/undid Crisis on Infinite Earths so now all of those stories from the 80s-00s NEVER HAPPENED! Those 2 splash pages showing all the planets are showing what the the worlds looked like in the old Universe in the top pics and are showing what they now look like in the bottom parts which very continently represent the what was established in New 52 and Grant Morrisons Multiversity which have now 100% overwritten everything else.

In addition to that the issue makes it clear that many else worlds, unnecessary alternative worlds, and redundancies would be going to their doom. Braniac even says "Many of you will return to your deaths...to worlds with no tomorrow". That's basically why Parallax and the Post-Crisis Superman are all like gently caress this at least we'll go out fighting and go back to COIE with Flash and Supergirl.

Also as an aside, what makes no sense is it shows Earth 2 with the new 52 versions of the characters on the splash page but then 2 pages later the Earth 2 heroes are still stuck on Telos's earth and are all like "what about us?!" And then telos says "here this can be your new earth 2". So does that mean there are now 2 Earth 2s with the new 52 version of Earth 2 heroes? Or was that splash page not meant to be taken literally as happening at the same time?

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 28, 2015

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I'm not even on page 10 of the FINAL issue of Convergence and holy crap, what a terrible, incomprehensible piece of writing this was. After Batman Eternal (AWESOME), Future's End (ALSO VERY AWESOME), and World's End (REALLY PRETTY ARTWORK) capping off a full year of fantastic weeklies, we get.. This. In the final issue Brainiac gets freed and explains a bunch of stuff. No dramatic tension, no reason to care. Such good characters, such a terrible two months of DC comics.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think it's that thought out. From interviews, it sounds like he's just using his own idea of a classic JL team which won't be influenced or have an influence on any other book.
Too bad it didn't get a Sneak Peek.

But he has Cyborg as the 7th. member and everyone is wearing their new 52 outfits

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I don't understand why people are so happy about convergence. It doesn't change anything. In fact it just re-cements the new 52 canon as being the only one because now they completely changed/undid Crisis on Infinite Earths so now all of those stories from the 80s-00s NEVER HAPPENED! Those 2 splash pages showing all the planets are showing what the the worlds looked like in the old Universe in the top pics and are showing what they now look like in the bottom parts which very continently represent the what was established in New 52 and Grant Morrisons Multiversity which have now 100% overwritten everything else.

In addition to that the issue makes it clear that many else worlds, unnecessary alternative worlds, and redundancies would be going to their doom. Braniac even says "Many of you will return to your deaths...to worlds with no tomorrow". That's basically why Parallax and the Post-Crisis Superman are all like gently caress this at least we'll go out fighting and go back to COIE with Flash and Supergirl.

Also as an aside, what makes no sense is it shows Earth 2 with the new 52 versions of the characters on the splash page but then 2 pages later the Earth 2 heroes are still stuck on Telos's earth and are all like "what about us?!" And then telos says "here this can be your new earth 2". So does that mean there are now 2 Earth 2s with the new 52 version of Earth 2 heroes? Or was that splash page not meant to be taken literally as happening at the same time?

It's not the clearest, most solid, sensical thing in the world, but I think the gist is, after preventing COIE, the infinite multiverse exists again and all timelines are returned to their point of pre-destruction and "evolve" as separate divergent places, which is just permission for writers to go back to those points and write whatever cause they're not in the causal chain of one multiverse any more.
It's a means to explain how something like JL3000 could ever possibly exist with the Giffen-DeMatteis-o-verse chosing to skip over swaths of continuity. For people who cant let something like that go, and possibly let more comics like that be made.

Based on DiDio and King's interviews on everything ever being open, the spreads cant represent overwriting. That would just be the N52/Multiversity without any new opening up. I think it's just a vague illustration of the old and the new. It's not like the Earth 2ers jumped into space in last year's costumes for a page, then came back to listen to Braniac.

Again, not like it's not told very sloppily.

e: Ugh. I'm gonna have to figure out a definitive paragraph for whatever happened for the (next thread's?) OP :(

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 28, 2015

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
This DC obsession of explaining away changes in continuity is the same sort of pestilence as origin stories in superhero movies. No one cares. Just write good comics and all is well. Why on earth do they think it matters?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Their target audience is 45 year old man children, that's who cares.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bad day posted:

After Batman Eternal (AWESOME), Future's End (ALSO VERY AWESOME), and World's End (REALLY PRETTY ARTWORK) capping off a full year of fantastic weeklies, we get.. This. In the final issue Brainiac gets freed and explains a bunch of stuff. No dramatic tension, no reason to care. Such good characters, such a terrible two months of DC comics.

Future's End was very awesome? I drank that vile potion and can attest it did not fulfill any prescription worth ingesting.

Also, I keep seeing "everything was destroyed!" reactions here and elsewhere. Didn't Didio straight up say Convergence would "leave every door open?" I think Brainiac's line about some going to their deaths is a reference to how some will die in the course of their post-Crisis continuities....

...speaking of Crisis, will DC be putting out a remixed version of that book with Parallax blasting Anti-Monitor in the face?

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 28, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When pre-Crisis Superman pops 'round to lend our Clark his red undies, you'll be praising Mr. King's name. hallelujeff!

redbackground posted:

Skimming this last page, I am very happy with my decision to skip Convergence entirely. Suckas!

B-but there were a small handful of good minis! Don't forget the minis!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 28, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Skimming this last page, I am very happy with my decision to skip Convergence entirely. Suckas!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing that confused me in Superman/WW: Why did Clark need to knock Barry out? I mean, I get why he's fighting Jim Gordon in Superman/Batman, because with his powers on the fritz and maybe not being fully Kryptonian anymore, Batman's just seeing a nutcase in a blue t-shirt punching people. But he got on to the JL space station and the computers recognise him. Can he not just say "I know this sounds crazy, but I need to fly one of the jets into the sun to jump-start my powers"?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Travis343 posted:

Their target audience is 45 year old man children, that's who cares.

Hey, gently caress you, buddy. I'm a 26 year old manchild!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God, Convergence Shazam is better than anything else DC has put out this year, including Multiversity. Who do I have to throw money at to make it stay? :smith:

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Hob_Gadling posted:

This DC obsession of explaining away changes in continuity is the same sort of pestilence as origin stories in superhero movies. No one cares. Just write good comics and all is well. Why on earth do they think it matters?

I need to know whats canon and whats not. I don't like buying things that aren't part of the story.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Everything's canon. There is no "the" story. There are a lot of stories.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I need to know whats canon and whats not. I don't like buying things that aren't part of the story.

lmao

I NEED TO KNOW IF THIS ONE "COUNTS"! OTHERWISE IT'S WORTHLESS

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alucard Nacirema posted:

:points and laughs:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

What changes caused by Crisis on Infinite Earths were even still in place? There's been a multiverse again for 9 years. Supergirl has been a Kara Zor-El again for 11. Barry's been alive for 7. All those stories you loved from the 80s-00s have been drifting in and out of continuity since they were published and most of them were already firmly fenced off as "not canon" by the nu52. The most popular/beloved ones are still in continuity because DC wants to keep reprinting them to make money. And now the nu52 have been officially ordained as "not any more or less canon than any other possibility ever". They all still have their own stories but now if you don't like a part you can just not give a poo poo. Or, you know, do that anyway because ultimately you're just reading 70 years of fanboys jizzing onto a page so why take it seriously?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 29, 2015

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
so I guess this is what DC's half-page ads look like

god loving damnit this company it's one step forward, an incredible and yet totally believable amount of steps back.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ElNarez posted:

god loving damnit this company it's one step forward, an incredible and yet totally believable amount of steps back.

Why would you do that? :psyduck:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, if anyone is going to get the stereotypical comic geek to buy some chocolate and caramel, it's fan favorite Nick Lachey. :raise:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Why would you do that? :psyduck:

Because print is dead as gently caress, a giant money sink and only getting worse as time goes on. They will have to hit 3/4 page ads to keep the boat afloat and the other quarter will be Superman driving a Toyota talking about how safe and reliable it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ElNarez posted:

Looks like it got pulled. Does anyone have an example of it?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Looks like it got pulled. Does anyone have an example of it?

and then there's an equally creepy Nick Lachey on the other side for Right Twix.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man I'll admit to being an ardent DC defender because they get a lot of poo poo for things that often aren't warranted the big blowup.

This is just atrocious though, you may as well make this an advertisement for buying digital over print.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So like the digital version of that is just going to be the top of two pages stacked together and the whole thing is one page shorter? I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Man if that doesn't cement going digital for the rest of my life then I don't know what does.

• Locked thread