Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Venditti and Booth still on Flash is lame and Wilson doing the Earth 2 relaunch is the worst possible outcome but on the other hand I'm super excited for a lot of these new books. I really liked Ben Percy's Detective Comics 2 parter and the stuff he's saying on twitter about ignoring the TV series and bringing back the Lemire stuff makes me really interested in Green Arrow again after Kreisberg really shat the bed with his rubbish arc. Also Gene Luen Yang for Superman is a really weird but cool choice and Riley Rossmo's art is perfect for a proper Hellblazer book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe he got excited for Futures End and now isn't such a Batman Beyond fan.

Batman Beyond is one of the only good parts in that story. It's also pretty self contained and doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the series- DC should honestly just compile the BB storyline in its own trade and release it separate at the end.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

drat tomorrow is the end of Swamp Thing. :(

I can't wait to see how this whole Machine arc plays out, it's been great so far with every plot element Soule has introduced coming together really nicely and the last couple of issues have really gone all out with the stuff that's happened.

I'm going to miss Swamp Thing but with how grand the climax is building up to I'm also ready for a satisfying ending.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Swamp Thing had an amazing finale this week and it went all metafictional in the best possible way.

I haven't read 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez though, has anyone here read it and Soule's Swamp Thing and can therefore explain the significance of Alec reading the book during this issue?

I mean, I know it's the book Jonah asked him to read but I suspect there's a much deeper meaning than that given the crazy thematics going on in this issue.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'm more annoyed that Thawne's big return is being handled by such a crappy team as opposed to an obviously temporary, crappy looking costume.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Who knows where the costume design comes from? I haven't really thought to associate it to the Finches.
I like the costume. It does make sense for her and if they designed it, props, but I'm not gonna read the comic (e: unless there's huge turnaround praise for it. Who knows.) I'll see it in Tomasi and Mahnke's one!

Action, SM/BM and SM/WW are going straight into a crossover, so I assume the new Superman look is built out of whatever they're doing, and in Pak and Kuder I trust :)

I don't think the 3-4 Supes titles are crossing over, seems like it's a status quo that each title is dealing with in its own way judging by how Pak and GLY have talked about it. At the very least Pak is starting off the story so it looks like he's got a major role in the story rather than getting roped into an event. Like you, I trust Pak in any case. Doomed turned out surprisingly well in Pak's issues for a story that sounds really dumb as a concept.

BrianWilly posted:

Now...okay, we make fun of the Finches' new Wonder Woman katars, but I'm gonna say something here that none of you are gonna like: isn't it the exact sort of thing that feels totally appropriate for the Wonder Woman as envisioned by Brian Azzarello? Isn't it the exact logical conclusion of the Wonder Woman world he created that is all about the grimdark and the war and the strife and the bracers that create weapons out of thin air -- all sharp edges and pauldrons and militaristic stances and intimidation -- and not so much about either Wonders or Women?

Like, I don't know what the Finches have been doing on the title. But there is not a single portion of that design, right down to the 90s arm spikes, that feels out of place for the character as she stood by the end of Azzarello's run. This is the character that y'all have been raring for. That old swimsuit design was nothing but a lie on her, a holdover from a personality that she no longer was. Why be shocked that her outsides finally match her insides? On that level, I actually have to applaud the design.

I really don't see how Wonder Woman under Azzarello is some militant grimdark killer. I can only remember her killing a total of one character in the entire run, the actual villains she dealt with she redeemed or tried to redeem through showing compassion. She became the god of war but instead it became a duality to the concept in that she still showed mercy to characters like First Born and the way she grew into the role suggested she was trying to do something very different to Ares. If anything the point of her becoming god of war was intended to be a kind of twisted irony for the character most commonly representing love and peace and the whole dynamic was about Wonder Woman bringing her own principles and beliefs to the role and changing it. This has been the theme of Azz's run in general- that she reforms the old and oppressive ways.

The new design doesn't really reflect some evil grimdark thing in any case, it's just overdesigned and has stupid unnecessary elements- there's an edit that takes off the spikes on the bracer and tones down a bunch of other things and it looks kinda decent. It's still not great though compared to Chiang's armour and battle skirt and Fabok's new costume.

All in all I think you're grossly misrepresenting Azz's run- I mean it's obvious from your posts that you don't care for it and that's fine but it's really nothing like what you're making it out to be. Just because Azz plays up the less politically correct family friendly elements of Greek mythology doesn't mean he isn't still being true to Wonder Woman by taking her idealistic and optimistic qualities and putting it in such a contrasting setting.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 14, 2015

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

The solicits call it a storyline across titles ("TRUTH"!)
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/10/lets-start-frankensteining-dc-solicitations-june-2015/

e: It'd be cool if it wasn't really and is just shared status quo, cause I'd like to see the new Superman writer start with his own arc.
Where have they been talking? I don't think I've seen that.

Here's the source for where I got that:
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comics/superman-gene-luen-yang-john-romita-jr-chart-heros-vulnerability-dual-identity/#/0

"GLY: We’re trying to figure out something that will take him through a big chunk of time. We’ve been talking about 10 months to a year’s worth of story. Superman, because he’s such an important character in the DC Universe, there are four titles where he’s one of the main stars. There’s “Superman,” there’s “Batman/Superman,” “Superman/Wonder Woman” and “Action Comics.” All of the writers of these books [Yang, Greg Pak and Peter J. Tomasi], we got together for a conference in New York a couple weeks ago to just talk through the character, talk through some sort of a premise that would be able to go through all those books. That was the tricky part, coming up with some kind of a premise that would both give us as writers the freedom to tell stories with our own voices, but also give all of these books a sense of unity."

Emphasis on that last sentence, it's ultimately quite a vague way of putting it but that's how it sounded to me.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Hell yes Green Arrow is finally good again. Zircher's art looks great.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

He already had a domino mask during Sorrentino and Lemire's run and was supposed to be growing a beard during Broken judging by something Sorrentino once posted- at the very least he was clearly developing a fair bit of stubble in that storyline.

All of that was reset by the subsequent story arc which was really bad and generally tried to cut Lemire's work in order to turn it into a watered down Arrow. So I'm glad to see a lot of the older elements coming back into play and the colouring style is a lot more reminiscent of Marcelo Maiolo's work on Lemire's run so it's overall looking good. And boy is it great to hear that Felicity Smoak is getting cut from the run. What an obnoxious tie-in character.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Red Lanterns had a fitting end (am I wrong or they implied that Guy became a Blue Lantern at the end?),

It was clearly leading into Charles Soule's Futures End issue, which itself is a solid goodbye to Soule's run on the character.

VV E:I think he did about as good as you could do in a 3 issue run where all the loose ends had already been tied up. He made it a small personal story with just Guy and no other Reds and foreshadowed a bunch of stuff that would show up in Soule's FE issue since that issue had already done the conclusion to Guy's arc.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 26, 2015

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Huh, so I guess Convergence covers the one monthish period where Clark grows the Superbeard.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Jiro posted:

Please explain to me what was going on, was all the Brainiac poo poo in Clark's head, was he dumped on a planet? Was he still in that giant EVA Braniac the entire time?

Clark went through the black hole with Vril Dox at the end of Doomed and ends up in Bleediac's dimension where he seems to have collected cities from different universes and different timelines-all the while integrating every incarnation of Brainiac he comes across into his greater whole.

He goes through a bunch of poo poo but realises that Bleediac hasn't been there at all because he went after Clark's world and timeline but got defeated and trapped in Futures End. All that stuff in #0 was about Bleediac's dimension trying to find a purpose after he'd left it. Basically it was just Telos as a sentient dimension messing with Clark because that's what Brainiacs are supposed to do.

It ends with Clark escaping the dimension and heading back home in Action Comics 35 while Telos finds something new to do-leading in to Convergence 1.

Honestly I found it pretty eh, it was mostly just filler since the actual story doesn't start till next issue and it didn't really need the tie in to Doomed or bringing Superman into it when he's otherwise got nothing to do with the story.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Sounds like a typical Event book.

These next two months are going to be dull waiting for the actually good books in June to come.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

More than Green Lantern I wish that same team would leave The Flash.

I dread to think how they're going to handle Thawne's reintroduction after how they've handled Wally West.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I thought green lantern/parallax was ok, I liked the interaction between Kyle and Hal. It would've been a lot better without being forced into the dome battle royale storyline though.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I've been reading through new-52 Flash in trades; when does it get bad? I just noticed the newest one I bough – volume 4 – doesn't have Francis Manapul on art any more. Should I have bailed a volume ago?

Volume 4 is still written by Manapul and buccellato so it's a decent story and the issue with Hal and Barry together is really funny. Don't read anymore volumes though cause their run ends at v4

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The Green Arrow preview was pretty rad. I'm kinda interested in the whole small town in the west feel that's going on with it.

And it's great to see Emiko back with proper focus after Kreisberg wrote her out in such a dismissive way.

Thankfully no references to Felicity either so it's a win on all fronts for me.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

He's also another guy with an undercut. I'm really liking the overall tone and feel of the story as well as the art. I hope Midnighter sticks around for a while.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 6, 2015

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Venditti did a good job on Demon Knights after Cornell left but that's about it for his DC work.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

DeMatteis already had his shot on JLD and it was pretty eh.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I liked Dr Fate a lot more than I thought I would.

The art is cool and I'm willing to give Levitz a shot for what's gone on so far.

Plus, anything to get more Dr Fate outside of the poo poo show that is Earth 2.

I'm glad to see Jesus Saiz getting more work after Swamp Thing and his art still looks great but I don't think I care all that much for GL Lost Army.

Paktion comics looks great as always but I hope Greg Pak cuts Superman some slack soon because he's had a really tough time so far.

Aquaman's art looks amazing but I hope the Mera thing is a fake out.

Bizarro am worst comic ever.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The solicit covers didn't show an undercut and it doesn't look as terrible as some of the others we've seen (red hood being the biggest offender) but it still looks really weird and wrong on Constantine.

The art itself looks great, I love ben-day dots.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

It's a shame Lana and Steel aren't in the Paktion comics side of the story.

Superman Wonder Woman has been hot garbage from issue 1.

At least Pak and Kuder get to write Jimmy.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Daniel Wilson is still writing Earth 2 and after World's End I can't imagine how anyone can expect it to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Alucard Nacirema posted:

What happened to the books Mystic U and Dark Universe. Did they get cancelled?

Mystic U is still happening iirc but Dark Universe might have been dropped for now since Tynion and Doyle dropped out due to workload (they're already doing Hellblazer)

• Locked thread