Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

eggyolk posted:

Does anyone here use a Vive with Project CARS?

I've tried it and it looks quite good, but this is the first game that's caused me motion sickness.

can't make it half a lap on Circuit de la Sarthe before I need to stop.

edit- and i'm not prone to motion sickness at all so it's a bit weird. all the flight sims (DCS, Elite, FSX, etc) have never given me a problem with the vive, but pcars did instantly.

i messed with the settings a while to try some of the changes i'd seen recommended, like the horizon stuff, but none of it had an effect for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Iridium posted:

I've tried it and it looks quite good, but this is the first game that's caused me motion sickness.

can't make it half a lap on Circuit de la Sarthe before I need to stop.

edit- and i'm not prone to motion sickness at all so it's a bit weird. all the flight sims (DCS, Elite, FSX, etc) have never given me a problem with the vive, but pcars did instantly.

i messed with the settings a while to try some of the changes i'd seen recommended, like the horizon stuff, but none of it had an effect for me.

Have you tried other racing sims like Live for Speed or Assetto Corsa? It could be the framerate; pCars is pretty demanding.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've tried iRacing and Pcars with the consumer Oculus. Something about sense of speed feels off in Pcars.

iRacing felt really good.

I'm going to wait in hopes of a wider FOV and higher resolution in the nearish future.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Rated PG-34 posted:

Have you tried other racing sims like Live for Speed or Assetto Corsa? It could be the framerate; pCars is pretty demanding.

haven't tried other racing games, but i've seen other games where framerate was an issue and 1) they didn't set me off (DCS world being one), and 2) pcars didn't appear to have a framerate issue at all.

but seriously, this may only be me. if anyone else has a headset and pcars then please by all means give it a shot. the half lap i manage to do before my stomach churns mightily is pretty drat impressive looking

whsa
Apr 24, 2008
So it's on sale on steam right now. Do I buy the base game for £11 ($11 thanks brexit) is GOTY with the DLC worth £32. The DLC isn't in the sale except with GOTY.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would look into Assetto Corsa at this point, it's 50% in the sale and seems to be getting a lot more action in terms of licensed content.

Or buy them both, they're both very good simulators. But if you can get only one it's a tough call.

whsa
Apr 24, 2008

xzzy posted:

I would look into Assetto Corsa at this point, it's 50% in the sale and seems to be getting a lot more action in terms of licensed content.

Or buy them both, they're both very good simulators. But if you can get only one it's a tough call.

Thanks, already bought assetto but cars is in my wishlist. I'll spend a bit of time with AC and see how I get on.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

whsa posted:

So it's on sale on steam right now. Do I buy the base game for 11 ($11 thanks brexit) is GOTY with the DLC worth 32. The DLC isn't in the sale except with GOTY.

Buy the GOTY, thrash on the Audi 90 IMSA and Corvette C7.R. There's also a really fun road course set in the Scottish highlands, as well as the Rocket Bunny FR-S. Lots of good stuff.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars is far more of a fun game than AC.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I can't stand racing the AI in pcars but as a modern formula one hot lapper it kicks the socks off of forza 6's ridiculously bad 8 gear lotus. That's essentially the only mode I will play pcars in now. Everything else in the game is inferior to forza 6 or hampered by controller settings being hosed up by switching out of open wheel

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ok i bought this on steam today and started kart racing with the AI on idiot mode

p. good so far

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Racing the PCars AI in the rain sucks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rated PG-34 posted:

Racing the PCars AI in the rain sucks.

Yeah. They go off and lose no time.

It looks great though

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you bump draft them for a little bit they lose their nerve and end up in the armco, which is always hilarious.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The new AI in PCARS2 seems to be something based on PID controllers that try to maintain the raceline, while avoiding obstacles. Given the upcoming Livetrack stuff, they should also not be following the raceline to a T to begin with, even when left alone on the track. Even if, I suppose they don't get around forcing some randomness into the new system. When they showed off the geometry side of Livetrack (e.g. tire tracks in the mud), it became really obvious that the AI drives like on rails if not disturbed. The video has several AI cars with some distance between them, and they followed exactly the single tire track the first car created.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't mind that so much, if it's some AI car on the opposite end of the course from me I don't give a poo poo what they do as long as it's not rubberbanding. If it saves cpu cycles for the AI that is next to me, that's a win because it "feels" more real.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
New Discord for all things gooncar: https://discord.gg/D7Gb9Z5.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PCARS damper simulation seemed to be bunk. The old implementation switched between the high speed and low speed damping stages based on velocity instead of force, like it's supposed to be, resulting in pretty wrong response on bumps. Seems this poo poo has been fixed in PCARS2. Disc brake cooling simulation has also been improved. And the new drivetrain stuff seems to have hit the main builds for the car guys to start using it in the cars. Which hopefully means no more idiotic snap oversteering and other odd behavior, as well as a proper AWD simulation.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 1, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Glad to hear Pcars 2 is coming along.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, but as much I am a fan of PCARS, hearing these sort of sudden realizations over time, i.e. they're simulating important things not correctly, makes me wish they (or rather Ian Bell) would get a little off their high horse, when it comes to discussing competitors. Best thing they've done is getting an actual engineer specialized on system simulations on the team.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's all video games so its whatever

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Too much grip in this game

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

But also not enough grip in this game

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Hey you've started playing this again too? I just built a new gaming PC and I've been getting back into it now that it's been patched and I have better equipment.

We should get some goon races going again.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I still use it for f1 but I switch to forza for everything else

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ethanol posted:

I still use it for f1 but I switch to forza for everything else

the f2p PC one? how is it?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

The Xbox one

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

It's a limited version of the console game. Same terrible UI but hardly any of the comedy option cars which is what makes Forza the best in the first place.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Also no wheel support on PC. We will see what they do on that front when Horizon 3 proper comes out for PC in a few months. I'm betting it will only work with wheels that work with the Xbox one,

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Also no wheel support on PC. We will see what they do on that front when Horizon 3 proper comes out for PC in a few months. I'm betting it will only work with wheels that work with the Xbox one,

weird. KI on PC has been pretty good for me so far with the sticks and pads ive used with it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Heh, got another straddling payout. I put 100€ in and got about 300€ out of it in total, that's a net of 200€ for me. I'd like to buy all my games in that manner.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I've not made money off thus game, but the memories of racing Formula Gulf with my dad are priceless. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Heh, got another straddling payout. I put 100€ in and got about 300€ out of it in total, that's a net of 200€ for me. I'd like to buy all my games in that manner.

I keep forgetting that I backed them and then more money gets chucked my way. Gotta love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015
RADBULL is loving ridiculous. I love it.

• Locked thread