Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would argue PCARS has an outstanding car selection. Highly focused on race machines. That's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

It is a lot better with a wheel. It's more fun and feels really good to drive. Unfortunately the other elements of the game (abysmal car selection, terrible career mode) keep it down.

I really tried to like PCars but it just tried everything it could do to make me hate it.

I honestly didnt mind the idea of the career mode what little I played, it seemed like an evolution of the old Toca racedriver games. I'm realy tempted to get a G920 but just dont have the space for a wheel setup. Hell, i'd love to use a wheel in Eurotruck too!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I hope AC has a solid console release.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I wouldn't want to play the game with a controller but with a wheel it at least controls pretty drat good.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

I would argue PCARS has an outstanding car selection. Highly focused on race machines. That's perfect.

Yeah I really like the car and track selection.

It's definitely a wheel-only game for me. Whenever I've tried to play with a controller it has ended in frustration, no matter how much I fiddle with settings.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I play with a controller without issued, but I do have to gently caress with steering ratio constantly if I switch cars. What works for f1 does not work for street cars.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Yeah, I didn't find PCars so bad with a controller once making the minor control changes suggested within the first few days after release. I did use TC and SC though and sometimes had to tweak the car setup to make some cars less spin-happy (particularly high powered RWD ones).

Default car setups being awful, AI being running into you all the time (and being wildly inconsistent in performance... on the same difficulty I can go from gaining a full second a lap on one track to being dead last, unable to keep up with the slowest AI on another), AI not heeding blue flags/getting out of the way of different car classes in multi-class races, and the generally lifeless feeling of the career wore me down. Also: lack of polish items like race ruining pit stop bugs lasted for months which was weak as gently caress (nothing like taking your last pit stop on a multi-hour endurance race only to have your pit crew forget to put air in your tires :jerkbag:).

From the brief bit I played after getting a wheel, it felt pretty good with no tweaks, but a wheel doesn't remedy most of my gripes with the game.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Even with the controller issues, PCARS has remained easily my most played game in years.

I find keeping the sensitivity on 50, controller filtering around 70, and speed sensitivity around 70 to be essentially solid the vast majority of the time. I don't use aids whatsoever. TCS depending on weather sure, but everything else remains off.

But yea it's definitely not a perfect product. The track selection and car roster is so good.

bloops fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 8, 2016

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I've been playing through career on PC, did TC1 Clio Cup, then GT5, now currently doing LMP3 in the Radical SR3-RS, such a fun car, crazy braking. Currently just got to a pair of long-ish invitationals, the Ruapuna Park 30-lap Trans-Am race, and the 3-hour McLaren F1 race at Zolder. Do I have to race the whole 3-hour guy in one sitting, saving and coming back to it later, can I let the AI do a stint, or am I stuck driving the whole thing non-stop?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
You can turn down the length so it's a much more manageable length, but there's no way to save and restart, nor do I think you can let ai drive for you. Whenever the 24 hours races pop up I turn them all the way down and pause and alt+tab a lot.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
You can (unless they changed it) let the AI drive for you. It's an option when pitting, "Swap Driver." I think you can swap back in on later pit stops, but, even if you don't, you still have to let the race play out in real time; not totally sure though since I only used AI driving after bugs hosed over previous attempts at the endurance in question since I wasn't happy that the game wasted an hour and 45 minutes of my time (2 hours is the minimum scaled duration for 24 hour races) because my crew decided to not put air in my tires on my last pit stop. :downsbravo:

Also in the later stages (depends on event) you can choose "Skip to end of race" and it'll simulate to the end; this is risky, particularly in an endurance race, though because sometimes the simulation decides to take liberties.*

* Oh, you were first place by like 3 laps? Well, tough break: you magically lost that lead with only two laps to go and finished 3rd.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Goddamn even in the loving 125cc gokarts I'm shitter than poo poo in this serious business simulation of competitive automotive shenanigans.

I have no wheel/pedal setup and I'm not likely to be grabbing one soon so I must suffer the use of an Xbone controller and that is likely most of my problem, what with the short, exaggerated travel of the triggers and stick. Steering isn't the problem so far, I may or may not also have a lead foot, which I'm working on curing.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I recently finished my LMP3 rookie career and decided to shunt over to GT4 instead of advancing to LMP3 semipro and holy heck is it fun.

I ran time trials of all the cars in class around Laguna Seca, and picked the Aston. Poor little Rocket Bunny can't keep up with the others :(.

If I was a better driver I think the Ginetta would probably be the best, as it handles and brakes really nicely but it's just down on power and the Aston and Mustang outrun it pretty easily on the fat bits.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Hexenritter posted:

Goddamn even in the loving 125cc gokarts I'm shitter than poo poo in this serious business simulation of competitive automotive shenanigans.

I have no wheel/pedal setup and I'm not likely to be grabbing one soon so I must suffer the use of an Xbone controller and that is likely most of my problem, what with the short, exaggerated travel of the triggers and stick. Steering isn't the problem so far, I may or may not also have a lead foot, which I'm working on curing.

Default controls suck. So do the default tunes. Pcars requires a bit of work to get set up. Try bumping steering sensitivity, gas, and brake to 100 and control filtering to 60-70 ish

For tunes, keep front springs and sway bar stiff and soften the rears. Bump differential settings to 70%.

That'll be a big help.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Default controls suck. So do the default tunes. Pcars requires a bit of work to get set up. Try bumping steering sensitivity, gas, and brake to 100 and control filtering to 60-70 ish

For tunes, keep front springs and sway bar stiff and soften the rears. Bump differential settings to 70%.

That'll be a big help.

Thank you.

I saw this setup posted earlier in the thread and grabbed it but all the control setup sliders are padlocked for each of the Xbone controller options

Steering deadzone: 0
Steering sensitivity: 10
Throttle deadzone: 0
Throttle sensitivity: 10
Brake deadzone: 0
Brake sensitivity: 10
Clutch deadzone: 0
Clutch sensitivity: 0

Speed sensitivity: 55
Controller filtering sensitivity: 25 (higher and I feel like I have noticeable input lag... even at 25 Karts/Superkarts have some noticeable input lag to me)

Controller input mode: 3
Soft steering dampening: on
Visual wheel filtering: on
Opposite lock help: off

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You can't change the settings?

Keeping gas, brake, and steering at very low sensitivities means the game interprets inputs as a "on/off" type thing. You're gonna swap ends constantly.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

You can't change the settings?

Keeping gas, brake, and steering at very low sensitivities means the game interprets inputs as a "on/off" type thing. You're gonna swap ends constantly.

Yeah, it's not letting me. change the sliders. The steering - for the moment - isn't my issue, though the Pagani Zonda and the Team W Lykan were squirrelly as gently caress if I did more than gently touch the stick while accelerating.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's super weird.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That's super weird.

I'll fire it up again in a bit and try again. I got rapidly frustrated with overbraking costing me positions in my first race, while I'm a bit better than passable in stuff like Grid 2/Autosport

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The ffb deadzone on my g27 is a real bitch. I tried following the guide on the official forums but only somewhat resolved the matter. Anyone have any tips?

Edit: fixed it. Don't plug into a usb hub.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 16, 2016

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Does one get tire failures in this game? I've been playing quite a bit now, and I've never had a tire go flat on me, at least that I can tell. Is it pretty obvious if/when they blow?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Does one get tire failures in this game? I've been playing quite a bit now, and I've never had a tire go flat on me, at least that I can tell. Is it pretty obvious if/when they blow?

I don't think so, I've run tires right down to the low 10% range just hotlapping before and only got reduced grip.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Just got this game. How do i make it not freeze windows 7 and turn off the displays requiring a reboot after a couple minutes of play?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Update to Windows 10.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

peepsalot posted:

Just got this game. How do i make it not freeze windows 7 and turn off the displays requiring a reboot after a couple minutes of play?

Video Driver issue maybe?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Basticle posted:

Video Driver issue maybe?
The card is a GTX 760. After the first crash i updated to the latest nvidia drivers. I tried using the geforce experience game specific optmizations, and it was still crashing. I also tried deleting the graphics setting xml file under Documents/Project Cars/ but that didn't help either.

e: Also win 7 kept interrupting my game to tell me to disable aero theme for performance. At first I tried the "ignore and don't tell me again" option, but it popped up told me again anyways. So i caved and set theme to windows basic.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 30, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Fayez Butts posted:

Update to Windows 10.

Pretty much this. Aero is the devil's software

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I used the 250cc Superkart for the first time, and holy poo poo these things are insane. I figured they would turn and brake on a dime, but I had no idea they could reach 150+ MPH :stare:. The people who drive these things IRL must be out of their goddamn minds.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Shine posted:

I used the 250cc Superkart for the first time, and holy poo poo these things are insane. I figured they would turn and brake on a dime, but I had no idea they could reach 150+ MPH :stare:. The people who drive these things IRL must be out of their goddamn minds.

Superkarts are the greatest things in this game. I was in a everything goes(car wise) pubby lobby and it was keeping up with lmp1 cars around monza. You only need to brake for the chicanes and the rest of the track you can do almost flatout, if a bit sideways.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Shine posted:

Was that you last night on the Nürburgring road class server? This dude smoked me in a kart in the first straightaway when I was dorking around in a FRS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Looked into the PCARS2 forums again. They're sure making some progress. The AI is being overhauled in being less stupid with racing lines and collisions, they're working on simulating their own physics collisions now instead of using PhysX, the new drivetrain simulation has undergone a first test, the live track stuff is about to be integrated with graphics, etc blah blah.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Sounds like good stuff. The way collisions can be "sticky" in the current game is pretty annoying.

I got a Rift this weekend and spent some time driving the DW12 around Barcelona the other day and man that's a fun time.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

Combat Pretzel posted:

Looked into the PCARS2 forums again. They're sure making some progress. The AI is being overhauled in being less stupid with racing lines and collisions, they're working on simulating their own physics collisions now instead of using PhysX, the new drivetrain simulation has undergone a first test, the live track stuff is about to be integrated with graphics, etc blah blah.

Hmm, are they running it the same way they were for the original PCars development cycle, e.g. after the backing time is over, you cannot access the forum/buy the game until release?

Would like to hop on the Dev forum, yet appears i missed the window :doh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yah, and IIRC the window wasn't even open that long. Maybe a month after they've announced it.

That said, I had tried it once or twice, a long while ago. I'm waiting for the new drivetrain stuff. As posted earlier in this thread, the devs finally acknowledged and admitted that the current differential implementation fucks with the physics more than it should. All those snap oversteering and lack of regripping on slides is apparently due to it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Maybe the AI won't have god-tires that grip when cold and also grip perfectly when they run into the grass and gravel now.

Also they might actually make mistakes instead of running perfectly for the whole race with no moments whatsoever.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
That was my favorite thing when starting pole. Hey here's ten AI drivers passing you into turn 1 because they have optimum grip and brake heat already because gently caress you. Oh and outrageous grip on slick tires in the rain.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Maybe the AI won't have god-tires that grip when cold and also grip perfectly when they run into the grass and gravel now.

Also they might actually make mistakes instead of running perfectly for the whole race with no moments whatsoever.
Well that'd make a marked difference from the Forza AI, which works fairly well until you hit the rewind button into the middle of a corner and you watch them all go straight off into the barriers. :mmmhmm:

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Does anyone here use a Vive with Project CARS?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I play with the Rift which probably doesn't help but :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I do. It works quite well. Wish more sims would patch in vive support.

• Locked thread