Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

don't give up, skeleton

I just finished Dark Souls 2 and all of the dlc. The DLC in it has some of my favorite settings and bosses of all of the souls games I've played (everything but DS3). Dark Souls 2 is cool and mostly really good, the main thing I liked better about Dark Souls 1 was the world felt more cohesive. I can still picture the map in my head and where things connect.

Monster Hunter World. Everybody is saying this is good, but like, I've played the demos for all of these and it just feels like you're mashing attack on a big monster for a half hour. I feel like I'm being gaslit everytime I see people loving Monster Hunter so much. I like the cats and I like the look of MHW, but I'm hesitant to jump in because it still looks like lots of hitpoints the game to me.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

I'm gonna grab monster hunter from the redbox and give it a fair shake. I've seen many say that the demos aren't a great intro to what makes the full game good. maybe I just didn't use a fun weapon in the demo, I don't even remember what I used in the last one.

Also, if you don't mind spam emails, signing up for emails from redbox will get you free game nights about once a month which is good for trying out something you're not sure about. I'm gonna grab mhw on Sat morn and then i'll have all day sat and sun to hunt. yep, I still min max rental times the way I did as a little kid renting road rash and poo poo.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

Twenty Four posted:

Road Rash was great. I mean, I get to ride a motorcycle, upgrade it, and punch and kick people? Wonderful!

When a dude swings a chain at you but you grab it and yank him off his bike, it's the best. Also I love that you can cock your leg back to kick and just ride with your leg cocked and ready. Did I imagine that EA teased a new one? I know there's some game on steam that looks like a modern road rash but I haven't played it either.

Jolo

Koishi Komeiji posted:

What is the most cringiest thing you have ever seen in a video game?

Whatever you're thinking of isn't as bad as the ending credits to Eternal Sonata:
:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcP6niffmJs:nms:

I couldn't make it more than two minutes through. This is a good candidate for that thread from a bit back about enduring the guy talking about Overwatch smut.

Jolo

I take back the nice things I said about redbox, they don't have Monster Hunter World or Dragon Ball Z Fighterz at the moment.

Jolo

TVsVeryOwn posted:

As in out of stock at your local box or Redbox hasn't any anywhere?

The Redbox in the town south of us had MH so I drove there and got one. I don't think any anywhere have Dragon Ball right now.

As for MHW, I spent an hour making my dude and my cat before sleeping last night.

Jolo

I sold my earthbound cartridge for $165 a few years back. I can remember considering buying the earthbound box for $100 or so in order to sell the game, guide, and box for a ton but then I realized I wanted to keep the guide and didn't want to hassle with buying a box for a ridiculous price.

Jolo

speaking of ebay, if you can find a dreamcast and some inexpensive maraca controllers, samba de amigo is a really great time

Jolo

This weekend I finally got around to playing Hyper Light Drifter after playing for half hour a year ago and not returning. I'm so glad I went back to it. Here's my review of Hyper Light Drifter: It's so loving good and atmospheric and the controls feel tight and the music dynamically shifts as you progress through areas and culminates in extremely rad boss music oh and also the bosses are some of the best bosses of all time and each one feels so good to defeat. The game has an upgrade system, but aside from a few very helpful upgrades you aren't significantly more powerful at the end than you were at the start. However, you as a player will be MUCH better at the combat system at the end to the point that you FEEL more powerful just because you know when to dodge, when to attack, and when to unload a shotgun into something's face. Also the game has this great audio/visual language, where in some areas you can hear that there's a secret or a powerful item in the area when you enter it. You hear the cues and then know that there's some good poo poo hiding within the area. The game also hides gear bits and hidden keys everywhere and once you start to notice the telltale signs on the ground you'll find all kinds of goodies stashed away. The game never explicitly tells you that there'll be audio and visual clues to inform you that there are secrets in the area, you'll just pick up on these things as you explore the game.

It's one of my favorite gaming experiences. If HLD is sitting in your backlog, please play it for a bit to see if it wows you the way it has me. It'll feel pretty hard at the start, but after a little bit the combat and exploration will click into place and the rest of the game will be a joy. I highly recommend it.

For you guys that have played it, there's a sound effect that sounds like metal ball bearings clicking together rapidly. I thought it was just part of the natural soundtrack, but it is only in certain areas and intensifies as you move to certain spots in these area. What are these indicating? I can't find anything online but I'm sure someone who has played more than me has figured it out.

Jolo

A coworker recommended Ready Player One the book to me. Is it also full of video game and movie references? The Back to the Future stuff in the trailer isn't working on me at all, and I love BttF. This looks like Speilberg's version of that Sandler movie Pixels (which I didn't see, but it looked dumb). Anyone read the book? I rolled my eyes at the easter egg bit in the trailer and also at how bored the guy delivering the lines sounded.

Jolo

Gross. The lady that recommended it to me does not play any video games at all, so maybe that's why she liked it and thought I would also. The trailers for this movie look like bad dumb fan fiction. One could look to Who Framed Roger Rabbit for a good example of how to incorporate cartoons and references into a movie without putting out some pandering schlock.

Then again, I don't have a deep knowledge of Betty Boop, so maybe the Boop purists watch Roger Rabbit and roll their eyes and think that she'd never say or act like she does in the movie.

Jolo

boo. The annoying thing is I bet this'll be one of those things that people who don't play video games are gonna love and they'll think that people who do will love it also and won't understand why not.

and yeah that song is great and makes me laugh

Jolo

I just finished Dark Souls 2 and all the dlc earlier this year. At first it didn't really click with me and I thought it was kinda bland, but I ended up really loving it by the end. The DLC areas and bosses are a serious highlight, really good level design and some super tough enemies. The story in 2 stood out to me and made more sense as I went through the game than Dark Souls did as I played through it. I'm looking forward to getting into Dark Souls 3 later this year, should be cool.

Jolo

vanisher posted:

this dude on top of a house that morphs into this giant black demon mouth thing

Sorry dude, that's me. I'm just anxious about meeting new people and I get all fidgety and sometimes I morph and attack the area around me.

Jolo

for my final morph... . I become... a skeleton.... one final joke.... t-t-time to bone... wait... uhh, bone voyage, murderous traveler *dies*

Jolo

Jolo posted:

Monster Hunter World. Everybody is saying this is good, but like, I've played the demos for all of these and it just feels like you're mashing attack on a big monster for a half hour. I feel like I'm being gaslit everytime I see people loving Monster Hunter so much. I like the cats and I like the look of MHW, but I'm hesitant to jump in because it still looks like lots of hitpoints the game to me.

I posted this a month and a half ago. Now I'm sitting on 100+ hours of Monster Hunter World. A demo just doesn't capture the magic of the whole experience of working towards a cool weapon or piece of armor to make a hard monster a bit more manageable, then learning the monsters quirks and how to avoid getting stomped by it. Then repeating this process again and again as the monsters become more and more deadly. It's a cool game in that there seems to always be more depth to the systems or tricks to play around with to maximize your enjoyment of the game.

Jolo

The main critique I'd heard of that game is that you'll want to buy additional cards for it almost immediately because otherwise you'll hear the same clips again and again. Has that been your experience?

I hemmed and hawed between it and a Dominion expansion over Christmas and ended up getting the Seaside Expansion for Dominion. (Which is really fun and adds some cool new elements to the game)

Jolo

*Butcher walks out and he's 100 feet tall*

Ok, now things are starting to make sense.

Jolo

mummynapkin posted:

i haven't had a decent pc in a long time, so i've been flirting around with getting back into FFXIV on the PS4. i dropped it after a few weeks of playing because i just couldn't get into playing on a console with a PS4 pad. might have to give it another shot because i'm also feeling that mmo void in my life.

I played it for a bit on both pc and ps4. Playing on PS4 definitely takes some getting used to. I like how they made it work with a bunch of buttons on a controller by making the shoulder buttons toggles that change what your action buttons do. My main beef with that game was that I knew that there was some really cool stuff much later in the game, but I didn't want to play the hours of repetitive stuff to get there and see it.

Jolo

While Monster Hunter has consumed nearly every free hour I have, I've finally started playing Dishonored 2 (purchased Dec 2016) and it seems pretty cool so far. The stealth feels a bit more forgiving than the first game. It feels like I can peek my head out and get seen but not SEEN. The art and level design is top notch. Each level has felt really expansive with multiple pathways through and lots of side rooms and areas to explore. I have to allow myself to ignore some of the collectibles in this game or I'll go insane though. There's a lot of upgrades in each level and to get them all you end up exploring nearly every inch of an area. I'm probably going to just grab the ones I pass near as I work through an area instead of zig zagging around and getting every last one.

Jolo

Something about the stealth mechanics of Dishonored 2 don't click with me. I can do ok in Thief and Metal Gear and lots of others but I'm Magoo in this one. Think I'm done with this one, it just feels like I'm brute forcing my way through it and the abilities that seem like they would help aren't enough to counter how bad I am.

Jolo

Something about the detection by enemies makes it feels weighted towards them spotting you instead of you avoiding it. I think I like games better where the game makes the enemies a bit more tunnel visioned. It's less realistic, but if I can predict whether a guy will see me or not I have a way better time.

The combat is so hurky jerky that it seems like it's running at 15fps or something. If the combat was less clunky I'd probably just magoo my way through and stab and shoot my way to victory. Might turn it down to super easy just to see the levels further on as I've heard they get pretty wild.

Jolo

mysterious frankie posted:

I am done with the first Kingdom Hearts. Or at least as done as I am going to ever be. I got through three consecutive boss fights, read on IGN that there's like six more and peaced out. That is too many bosses, imo.

You made it much farther than I did. I bought the collection on ps3 that had KH1 and 2. I fell asleep while playing 3 different times in the tutorial area on the beach in 1 and then realized that it was a better sleep aid than a game for me.

Jolo

Doesn't that sequence have unskippable cutscenes in there also? The end of that game sounds like a total slog.

Jolo

The game SpyParty is about to go up on Steam Early Access on 4/12. Currently you can buy the game at their website for $15 and the game will cost $25 once it goes on steam. Buying it for $15 now gets you the steam key once it shows up there.

I watched the Giant Bomb Unfinished on it and it looked cool enough that I bought it and played for a little bit last night. It's really unique and fun. If you skip 15 or so minutes into the Giant Bomb Video, you get to the actual gameplay which'll probably do a better job of showing the experience of playing it than my description.

It's a 1 vs 1 game where one person plays a Spy who moves around in a small area and completes objectives like, bugging an ambassador (by standing near him and patting his butt), saying a code word to a VIP, or swapping statues in the room. As the Spy, your objective is mainly to look indistinguishable from the npcs in the room walking around into conversation circles, picking up statues, standing at windows etc. The second player plays the Sniper who is watching everyone at the party to try to spot someone doing something suspicious or moving like a player and not an npc. The Sniper has a single shot to eliminate the Spy, but most of the round is spent highlighting people who seem suspicious or lowlighting people who are definitely not the spy.

I played several rounds last night and really enjoyed it. If this sounds up your alley at all, check out that Unfinished video and play with me. I'm jolo in game. The game has a lobby system right now but is getting matchmaking soon to try to pair up people who have played a similar amount of games.

Jolo

I also like The Oregon Trail.

Jolo

one constant of any video game technical support thread is the guy who shows up with way over the recommended requirements to tell everyone that the game actually runs great for him

I'm off to buy a pair of 1080 graphics cards to finish Firewatch, wish me luck

Jolo

Just learned this morning that Michael Jordan's Chaos in the Windy City was directed by Amy Hennig of Uncharted and Legacy of Kain fame. Crazy.

I've been playing Hotline Miami 2 trying to get A+'s on all of the levels and last night I finished up Death Wish after an hour or so with what I thought was definitely an A+ performance and the end result screen gave me an A. It was a crushing experience. I really like that game but I'd love it if I had some idea of where my score was throughout the stage. A majority of your score isn't kicked in until the end of the stage when you get a bonus for combos while playing, so it's hard to know how well you're doing aside from remembering how many combo chains you had along the way.

Jolo

Just replayed Mega Man X2 and gathered the Zero parts this time and got the Shoryuken. Very cool game that I never played as a kid but it's very fun to play today. One shotting the Ostrich with an uppercut was very satisfying.

Jolo

Yeah, I messed up the first time through thinking that I could fight the X-Hunters whenever. I ended up at the end of the game with only Zero's head, which is pretty macabre.

In other Mega Man news, I decided to try Mega Man 2 on the ps4 legacy collection because I mostly skipped these games as a kid and wanted to give them a fair shake since I've been having so much fun with X and X2. The difficulty swings in Mega Man 2 are severe. I had a lot of trouble with the sections of Quick Man's stage where you have to drop down to the next screen fast enough. Then I had a lot of trouble with the jumping platforms on Heat Man's stage (ended up using the moving platform Item to skip the second half). Then finally there was a screen in Dr. Wily's first stage that I couldn't get through. It's an open area with the two ladders where you start in the bottom right and have to create the floating platforms to work your way to the upper left, I just can't get them down quickly enough and spread out enough to get to the ladder.

Jolo

food court bailiff posted:

mega man 3 is way better but has a weird brickwall difficulty boss halfway through a stage towards the end and i never want to chug etanks to get through it

Mega Man X spoiled me with the energy tanks that you keep after a game over. It wasn't until the end that I realized I didn't have the energy tanks I'd acquired anymore.

I played Mega Man 3 for a minute and the first stage I entered had the disappearing/reappearing platforms again and I just quit instantly haha. I figure some people have nostalgia for that and remember memorizing it as a kid but present day me doesn't enjoy it at all.

Jolo

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Mega Man was never good.

*Paul Rudd voice*
"Computer, do we have any new sequences?"

*X appears on the screen. He jumps and dashes in midair. He jumps off of a wall.*

"Now X I can get into."

Jolo

I mean, you know I'm gonna go into Magnet Man's stage first when I see him.

Jolo

The bad guys in Rage 2 are called the Goon Squad.

Jolo

MockingQuantum posted:

my wife and I can't stop playing stardew valley, send help

It's so good! My wife absolutely loves it also. The unofficial player's guide from fangamer is good stuff also: https://www.fangamer.com/products/stardew-valley-guidebook

Jolo

Somebody created an Epic Games account with my email and forgot what password they used because I got a bunch of "Unsuccessful Login Attempt" emails recently. So I password reset that thing, turned on 2-factor and now I have an Epic Games account. I think that's a really weird way to end up with an account for a game you don't play.

In actual video game news, I started playing Dead Rising 2: Off the Record again and it's still a lot of fun. Were 3 and 4 any good? My computer always ran DR3 like poo poo so I never played much of it. I can remember that the interface was different and the game didn't quite feel right to me when I played.

Jolo

*makes eye contact… nods head*

Jolo

Nosfereefer posted:

iirc, 99% of skyrim mods are porn-related

100% are porn-related if you want to gently caress the Macho Man Randy Savage dragon.

Jolo

It's a very good game, but I think Donkey King is the best game of all time.

Donkey Kong sucks!

You know something? You suck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

I played Danganronpa 1 and 2 a few years ago and got 3 for Christmas. Before starting on 3, I figured I'd watch a recap of the previous games as a refresher. The recap was nearly incomprehensible. I remember those being weird but hearing the plot summarized all in a row like that sounded like someone was just reading timecube.