Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog

I finally got Shandalar (the old Microprose singleplayer MtG RPG game) working in a VM and I'm having fun nostalging out and playing the sort of Magic matches my friends and I would have played if someone had let us loot the rare cards case at the local game store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog

biosterous posted:

oh jeez that was a fun game. i made some stupid deck once that gave me infinite turns and i'd set up a lot of black vises and then force my opponent to draw lots of cards

Yeah, one of the great things about Shandalar is that they didn't care about tournament legality or stuff like that, so it includes a bunch of cards that were already banned for being too good when it was made and a bunch more that are now either super extra banned or incredibly rare and sought-after because they're so good, and it doesn't make any attempt to stop you from doing things that would result in your opponent setting the table on fire if you tried them in real-world play.

So you can play the game "normally" and have a challenging but not too challenging MtG experience, or with a bit of work you can utterly break the game and steamroll everything with complete nonsense. Which is my favourite kind of game :v:

Current status: got myself a few manalinks, starting to put together a white/black deck to replace the white/green one I started with. Kind of want to do an "opposites attract" sort of gimmick so one white/black and one blue/red, and maybe try to do something really weird with the third slot like an all artifacts deck

ToxicFrog

Heather Papps posted:

I cant wait till we just call them RPGs and cartoons again.

I find the distinction between JRPGs and WRPGs useful, because if I'm in the mood for something like Fallout or PST I will be sad if someone recommends me something like FF7 or Atelier Iris instead, and vice versa

MtG update: I don't know where the green wizard is but her ape-men are kicking my rear end so I'm probably not ready to face her yet

ToxicFrog

Heather Papps posted:

maybe one day i'll try a souls game

My hot'n'spicy take is that Dark Souls 3 is the best Souls game because armour is completely busted¹ in it, which makes it the easiest to play Fashion Souls in

¹ in that going from no armour to the worst armour in the game makes a huge difference, but going from the worst armour to the best armour makes barely any difference at all

ToxicFrog

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Breath of the Wild felt like they made an amazing engine with brilliant mechanics and then just didn't get to the content. Like you never find any truly unique items or cool stuff in the world, just Korok seeds, and the shrines are all really small, unsatisfying dungeons.

It's like the opposite of most open world games that have insane amount of content but crap gameplay, it's amazing gameplay with crap content.

When I played I felt like I was constantly stumbling across cool stuff, whether it was a new piece of armour, a weapon I'd never seen before (or one I'd had ages ago and then broken and really liked), new ingredients, a beautiful piece of scenery, some sort of crumbling ruin, or even just a nice hang-gliding spot. Couldn't swing a cat in that game without hitting something that made me go "oooooo".

Heather Papps posted:

also holy poo poo let me be zelda loving hell, for once.

:emptyquote:

At least BotW finally gave us female Link, although for some reason they hosed up a bunch of the dialogue.

ToxicFrog

Heather Papps posted:

this loving rules, holy smokes thank you!
e: i want to isolate some devin townsend vocals and add them over this or something, it reminds me of a less wall of soundy strapping young lad, strangely enough

also, unrelated, but!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhFBuUbndfo
i can't believe i'm still checking in on skywind. it's been how long now? jeez.

Hey, you're not the only one!

I tried out Morroblivion and it was pretty cool but also inherited some really rough edges from Oblivion, I'm hoping Skywind has a bit more polish and maybe I'll finally finish Bloodmoon & Tribunal

(I actually got distracted writing a mod that would let me build my own fast travel network by placing portals, then stopped playing)

ToxicFrog

ToxicFrog posted:

Hey, you're not the only one!

I tried out Morroblivion and it was pretty cool but also inherited some really rough edges from Oblivion, I'm hoping Skywind has a bit more polish and maybe I'll finally finish Bloodmoon & Tribunal

(I actually got distracted writing a mod that would let me build my own fast travel network by placing portals, then stopped playing)

thinking about this is making me want to reinstall morroblivion and try again

maybe I still have my saves (lol I almost certainly don't)

ToxicFrog

Did a dungeon dive in Shandalar and it was super frustrating because it came with an always-on effect that randomly swapped my cards with my opponent's every turn, but I got a Black Lotus out of it

Then I ran into a wandering enemy and kicked its rear end so hard it offered to duplicate one of my cards, so now I have two Black Lotuses

I wonder how high I can go

ToxicFrog

biosterous posted:

i got the "tale of two wastelands" mod working for fallout new vegas and this is gonna take a lot of my spare time now

i have no idea how many playthroughs of fnv i've done by now. love that game!

Is that the one that merges FO3 and FNV?

I've been struck by a sudden need to play Morrowind again, so I've installed Morroblivion, but I haven't had a chance to actually play it because my daughter keeps hogging the computer :argh:

ToxicFrog

Heather Papps posted:

one of the best mods for skyrim is the random alternate start whatever. it just drops you off at a random point somewhere in the map, and the dragon stuff doesn't start till you go to helgen.
i find for big open world wrpgs i start a bunch of characters and rarely do anything of note with them.
i've walked thru that drat ship like a million times, and actually finished the game proper maybe once?

if the oblivion morrowind mod is done maybe i'll check that out...

It's not like fully polished 1.0 done, but all of Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon can be played through start to finish and the stuff that isn't done is mostly minor polish stuff. And while it hasn't seen a new major release since 2014 people have continued making bugfixes for it, which people on the forums have helpfully rolled into two big patches (unofficial morroblivion patch + combined hotfix patch).

There's also optional mods to start you in Oblivion and let you travel to Morrowind later, or start you at a random place in Morrowind rather than in the ship at Seyda Neen.

My biggest beef with it is that people have written a lot of upgrades for it (texture/model replacements, magic improvements, etc) and almost all of those have been rolled into either the main morroblivion release or the unofficial patch, but not all of them, and usually both the mod authors and the morroblivion maintainers are really bad at mentioning when that's happened, so if you just want to install Morroblivion it's pretty straightforward but if you want to install Morroblivion + eye candy and stuff figuring out what exactly you need to add to it and what's already built in is a pain

I'm taking notes as I go so maybe I can do a helpful effortpost once it's all set up and running

ToxicFrog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

a lot of modding communities end up mired by stuff like this where they start out wanting to fix errors and ends with the tenth head of the mod team insisting that mjoll the lioness be replaced with an anime ten titted half manatee

It's not even that, it's just that most of the mod team lost interest after v64, there's a concrete list of stuff they want to merge into v65 but at the moment there's one guy working on it for like ten minutes a month, so the merged version doesn't exist yet

Also, there's some stuff on the list that was already merged into v64

Also the actual website all of this is coordinated on is a complete disaster

ToxicFrog

Heather Papps posted:

if we mean the oblivion mod, i mean i'd kinda feel like the wind was out of my sails if i was on the team and then skyrim came out and then skywind started dropping trailers.

it's a noble effort but it's like those sci fi stories where ships put folk in cryosleep to go colonize planets, but the time they spend in transit is long enough for us to develop new tech that allows ships built a hundred years later to arrive a thousand years before the first gen colony ships.

or something.

I mean, yeah, on the one hand Skywind probably has sapped some energy from Morroblivion.

On the other hand those trailers are complete vapourware, because while Morroblivion is based on converting the Morrowind assets to Oblivion format and then bugfixing those and porting the scripts (still a herculean task), Skywind is based on remaking all of Morrowind, all the models, textures, terrain, cells, sounds, everything, from scratch and, years on, they're still trying to find more model/texture artists and don't even have a playable prototype.

Probably because of this, they aren't planning to remake the expansions, either.

It just makes me grumpy because Morroblivion is like 95% done and playable start to finish, main game and both expansions, and all it really needs at this point is some polish: merge all the patches/bugfixes since v64 into the ESM, merge the texture/model replacers into the asset pack or make a separate "fancier but less true to the original game" pack that contains them, move the recommended/compatible mods list off the forums and onto the main website where people can actually find it, and you've eliminated most of the headache, which is running around the morroblivion forums trying to figure out which fixes/upgrades are included in v64 and which ones need to be installed separately.

And I'd really like to see Morroblivion go "hey! skywind looks like it's going to be amazing, but it's not done yet! but if you want to play Morrowind right now and also turn into a werewolf and poo poo, go download morroblivion_v65_actually_user_friendly_installer.exe and let it handle all the setup for you!"

ToxicFrog

Heather Papps posted:

make a youtube video about this i had no idea.

the thing about these megamods is the average person checks in once in a while, is like "oh neat" and then waits for it to be at a playable stage. this, all that, is new info to me, because again, it's a huge rear end thing i figured wasn't done anyways.

Make a video about what? The morroblivion v65 installer I mentioned doesn't exist yet, that's my beef; all the parts needed to make it exist but no-one has done the legwork of compiling them into a single package (which I assume is more complicated than loading them all up in the mod manager and clicking "merge plugins" or someone would have done that already).

I might write some documentation about, like, what you need to install on top of v64 to have something that looks like what v65 will look like if it ever gets released

ToxicFrog

Heather Papps posted:

my bad i just chunked the quote incorrectly. i meant, mostly jokingly, that i wasn't aware the skyrim morrowind thing was mostly vapour. i assumed there were builds you could download and run around in, at least, and that a youtube video that showed side by sides of morroblivion and skywhatever and was like "one of these games you can play one you can't. help this team finish the playable one" would drive nerds to the project, to get it to 1.0 or stable or mostly done.

Oh, yeah, back in 2014 they released a playable proof of concept, but then pulled it from download, and since then they've also switched it from being based on Skyrim to the "remaster", Skyrim HD, so it's anyone's guess how far away from actually being a playable game it is.

I think it's going to be incredibly rad when it's done, but they're basically trying to do something with the size and complexity of Morrowind -- which is not a small game, even if, like them, you omit the expansions -- but with Skyrim levels of detail and production value as an entirely volunteer project, and that doesn't happen fast.

ToxicFrog

food court bailiff posted:

i think i give up on trying to like sunless sea :( it seems neat and chill but also like, kind of bad

every individual element in it is stuff that i like but it all comes together in a weird awkward package that i can't get into :(

Yeah, the gameplay involves a lot of tedious shuttling back and forth and grinding and that's ultimately what killed it for me

Also, if you play with permadeath enabled you're going to be seeing the same events and dialogue a lot every time you start out, but if you aren't you'll miss out on a bunch of stuff (both plot events and large mechanical bonuses) because some things only trigger once you bequeath various things to your successor(s), and asking the player "would you rather see the same content over and over again, or see lots of novel content but be badly underpowered for most of it?" is not good

I've occasionally considered looking for mods that address this but I also kinda don't want to fall down that rabbit hole and maybe I'd be happier just playing Fallen London?

ToxicFrog

Jolo posted:

I think I remember seeing some people say they preferred Sunless Skies to Sea.

I haven't played or even really looked at Skies, because of my experience with Seas.

Possibly I should just back into FL, since that's most of the bits I like about sunless sea without the bits I don't

ToxicFrog

food court bailiff posted:

wait lol the setting is from another game? that's most of what i liked about it

i should check out the iOS version

Yeah Seas and Skies are both in the same setting (and written by the same people) as Fallen London (which I think used to be called Echo Bazaar?), a f2p mostly textual browser game

FL can also get a bit tedious and grindy at times depending on what you're doing, but it doesn't have the filler of spending ages sailing around the unterzee either and you're limited in how many actions you can take per day so it's harder to burn out

ToxicFrog

pixaal posted:

This is why I like No Man's Sky, you see something cool you go do it, you can always call your ship down to get out when you get bored. Then you hop to another system and are on a completely different planet seconds later. You can setup portals as of I think the Summer (it was live when I played in July). Loading a planet from space is pretty laggy but other than that transition I couldn't find any performance issues.

If you haven't looked at No Mans Sky since release you should look again, they've released a ton of free content that really could have been 2-3 DLC expansions at $20 each and be worth it (if they didn't feel the need to apologize for the base game). I'm very much on board with them as devs that fix their poo poo and wouldn't have a problem pre-ordering something from them because of it. Solid track record.

I played it just after the NEXT update and there were the bones of a good and cool game in there, but I kept running into weird glitches (the tutorial telling me to do something that immediately aggroed a bunch of hostile robots that killed me instantly, enemies clipping into the ground and then attacking me from inside it, quest-giving ships teleporting to another star system in mid-sentence) and that plus the frankly godawful UI that has no consistency in which keys are used for what from one screen to the next completely killed it for me.

I'll probably try it again sometime this year and see if they've improved any of that, because I really want to like it and want to reward the devs for continuing to improve it, and also because it's probably the closest I'll ever get to being able to play Noctis V.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I don't think games should HAVE to be fun in any traditional sense, just engaging.
Much like any other medium there are games I've played which didn't necessarily allow me to have fun but were compelling in some way where traditional mechanics or entertainment wouldn't have worked.

:words:

You have to take games on their own terms, criticizing or limiting them on the basis of what you WANT them to be as a rule is insane.

A Good Post, thank you

ToxicFrog

I've been playing SLASH'EM Next after years of being Done With Nethack and actually having a pretty good time, would recommend it to anyone who wants a roguelike with ridiculous piles of random nonsense in it and can tolerate a somewhat dated UI.

Current status: wandering around levels 15-20 finding magic portals, sticking my head into them and then running away shrieking in terror.

Finger Prince posted:

Thanks guys, that's kind of what i figured. I passed on it, and hello what's this? Star Control Origins?
Yes.
Oh my yes.

Note that SC:O is the prequel made by the litigious bullshit merchants at Stardock and does not actually use any of the Star Control setting except the name; the SC2 sequel the original devs are working on (working title Ghosts of the Precursors) is still in development.

If you already knew that and are genuinely excited about it, please try it and report back!

ToxicFrog

I'm still playing Morroblivion and just found an entire city that I somehow missed in every previous playthrough. :psyduck:

I also really need to spend an afternoon loving around with mod disablement to see if I can figure out why it takes 20+ seconds to save my game. Maybe it's an intrinsic issue with Morroblivion, but if it's actually caused by some mod I can live without I'd really like to figure out what it is.

take the moon posted:

im playing oblivion on a beater laptop and its fun af. if any of you have tips lmk??? dark elf nightblade (if i could equip a katana i would) under the sign of the atronach, using the realistic leveling mod

i knew i picked the right race when the other dude wanted to widowcuck me lol

There's probably a mod that adds katanas :v:

Realistic Leveling is a good choice and my preferred leveling mod for Oblivion/Morroblivion.

One thing you might want to consider adding is a leveled item releveler; lots of quest rewards and artifacts (and all sigil stones) are scaled to your level, which means if you find them "too early" in the game you get a much weaker version of the item. There's a mod (I forget the name) that makes them level up along with you, so you don't have the perverse incentive to carefully avoid all the best loot until the endgame.

There's also a bunch of QoL mods out there you may already be aware of -- DarN UI for a more compact UI, Advanced Alchemy for sorting/filtering ingredients on the alchemy screen, Soulgem Magic to prevent small souls from going into large gems (or, optionally, combine small souls into larger ones), Enhanced Hotkeys for lots more hotkeys and hotkey behaviours, Toggleable Quantity Prompt for hotkeys to drop/sell/pickup one/all of a stack without prompting.

Sign of the Atronach is a bit of a weird advanced technique. You're not going to regenerate mana naturally at all; you're completely dependent on drugs and elf lightbulbs for it. The flip side is that you have a huge mana pool (so you can cast spells for ages before running out) and 50% of spells cast against you will just fizzle and restore some mana instead. Note that this applies to spells you cast on yourself too! Don't rely on being able to cast heals, buffs, etc on yourself.

So, if you're not planning to use magic, congratulations, you get to completely ignore 50% of hostile magic. If you are planning to use magic, use your large mana pool to go all-in on Destruction and rely on Alchemy and enchantments for heals and buffs. In either case, there's a bunch of equipment you can find (or make, using Sigil Stones) that will let you get your absorption to 100% and become totally immune to magic at the cost of a few equipment slots.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 23, 2020

ToxicFrog

okiedoke posted:

Fashion Souls is the real game.

:emptyquote:

Armour in DS3 is kind of a disaster mechanically but it makes fashionsoulsing a lot easier and for that I love it.

Tipps posted:

I am playing SotN for the first time ever and I am not enjoying it. The massive knockback after getting hit by anything and lack of iframes after taking damage is a combination that has really not aged well, and it's taking all the fun out of it.

Probably doesn't help that I'm playing it on mobile with touchscreen controls. I try with a Bluetooth controller later to see if it's better I guess.

Parts of SotN definitely haven't aged well but trying to play it on a touchscreen sounds like a special flavour of hell.

ToxicFrog

Still playing Morrowind! The main quest is on hold while I check out Solstheim and the Bloodmoon expansion. First impressions: wow the enemies here are a lot tougher than they are on Vvardenfell, if I didn't have Stormforge (which is a pretty nasty weapon in its own right and which Supreme Magicka makes even nastier with its changes to the Lightning Shield effect) I might have to give up and come back later!

Heather Papps posted:

i think i still have wolfenstein 3d on my ancient ipod touch

the idea of an emulator in my pocket ruled, then i was like "oh no i need a button" BUT rpgs and turn based stuff works okay

i am a nintendo fanman but i could not abide motion control. GIVE ME A BUTTON. i can't swordfight with janky rear end motion control, and i can't beat super mario world on a touchscreen

Turn-based stuff is generally ok as long as the penalty for the occasional missed tap isn't too high (i.e. not roguelikes or stuff like demoncrawl).

But SotN requires a lot of high-speed precision input just to play normally, and was designed on the assumption that you have eight buttons (and the d-pad) available at all times. I don't know how you'd even try to cast the spells (which involve lengthy button combos).

TOOT BOOT posted:

Pretty sure the iOS port can use controllers.

It can! They weren't using one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog

Lizard Wizard posted:

started playing a retranslated version of earthbound and I'm already stuck

[X] I'm in this picture and I don't like it

This is how every single game with a robust character creator goes for me:
- picking class, subclass, favoured skills, unfavoured skills, starting equipment, perks, pet, favourite food, etc: 5 minutes
- picking appearance: an hour of loving with sliders and then another hour of just hitting "random" until it gives me something I like
- name: gently caress it I'll come back to this next week