Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

do y'all like the uncharted games

I'm playing through them again during quarantimes

also I started playing wow again

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

picked up hades on the switch. it's pretty fun so far but I'm stuck on the first boss

more falafel please

forums poster

FutonForensic posted:

the game does a good job of making each boss feel like an impossible roadblock until you crack it, then you'll be breezing through it before you know it.

if you'd like tips, putting athena's reflect on dash strike and then picking up any damage boon that applies to dashing is a great way to prevent damage and deal it at the same time. works pretty well on sword or shield

yeah on the runs i've gotten to megaera i haven't gotten any reflect boons, which does seem like the way to go. i've been mostly really liking the sword for clearing rooms, might switch to the shield so i get get more targeted range with the special for meg. i hated the bow the one run i used it

more falafel please

forums poster

i just had a ridiculous run in hades where I beat mag for only the second time, then got all the way to Styx. stupid poison rats did me in though. the spear is insanely good, and I lucked out with boons right at the beginning so I had dash doing damage, main attack deflecting, and dash strike doing triple hits.

i just bought another death defy so hopefully when I get on a good run next time I can take it to the house

more falafel please

forums poster

cleared hades :)

next two runs I got to the last boss too, but with like very little health and no death defy. last run I got a tiny vermin and I literally thought I was doing something wrong cause it took forever to kill. that's just another boss wtf

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

I picked up dragon age inquisition for $5 on the playstation store the other day. It's a pretty fun and a pretty addictive. Very good RPG so far. I never played a dragon age game before, but I'm liking this one. (I think I may have tried the demo of the first one when it came out but I really don't remember much of it).

i never finished it because it got really grindy in the middle. i was excited about the story though

more falafel please

forums poster

biosterous posted:

i've started modding Freelancer (space ship shooty game from 2000) - i've played the game a million times, so it's fun to give myself un-challenge runs. i made my fav ship have 10 guns instead of 6, and made the best missile launcher have unlimited ammo and the missiles fly faster and track for longer.

it's nice to just relax and blow stuff up with my ubership, in an old familiar setting

also unlike Star Citizen, Freelancer actually got finished and released lol

i did this with escape velocity, I played the poo poo out of it for years and then I just started making my ship as good as humanly possible. I had a beam weapon that went the max distance and did max damage so all I had to do to capture a planet was sit on top of it, hold "turn right" and fire and wait for the defensive ships to stop coming out

more falafel please

forums poster

i don't use the cast in hades at all. is that weird?

i also don't like any weapons/attacks you have to aim/charge/etc. i can't use the bow or the shield to save my life.

got my 4th and 5th clears tonight, one with the gun and one with the spear (the best weapon)

more falafel please

forums poster

beer pal posted:

the bow is so good to me that it feels like cheating. if u didnt know a good tip for bow play is that dsah strikes speed up the charge a lot so u can get a rhythm of dash shoot dash shoot

there are some really good casts like dionysus's one. and the beam from cold grandma can be extremely good if you get some synergies with it

that's how I feel about the spear. last run I got the "dash strike does 3 attacks" hammer upgrade in the first room and the whole run just felt like I was oneshotting everything. this was on 2 heat which I'd never done before either

more falafel please

forums poster

biosterous posted:

playing hades i have finally managed to beat up my dad

i got the upgrade that turns the mortar into a rocket launcher which turns out to be Very Good at dealing with groups and bosses

so far my best strategy is to build a bunch of damage on my main attack/dash strike, some kind of deflection, either Athena or Zeus call, and then get to around 200 hp and have at least one death defy going into the boss.

my easiest run with spear started with ares doom on main attack, then the triple dash strike Daedalus upgrade, and Athena call and dash deflect. basically just spam dash strike and everything melts.

more falafel please

forums poster

as a game developer who's over 30: stop playing the game when you're not having fun with it anymore

more falafel please

forums poster

it gives you the license to try more games, because you can get 6 hours in and decide you're done

more falafel please

forums poster

I've never played new Vegas but: did you see Johnny Fiveaces

more falafel please

forums poster

Jolo posted:

Beat Theseus in Hades for the first time and nearly beat what I'm guessing is the final boss. Turns out that wasn't even their final form!

Game is good.

Been trying to grab the Athena dodge deflect boon most of the time but this time I had Zeus's lightning dodge and jolted which makes bolted enemies hurt themselves the next time they attack. That worked really well and had me using the dodge more offensively than normal.

I've found that I have more success with things that do damage passively like Dio's hangover and Ares's Doom.

yeah, my favorite combo is Doom on attack and deflect on dash. I'm basically just mashing dash strike the whole time. The spear has a hammer upgrade that makes dash strike hit 3 times and that just feels like cheating. I'm at the point that if I'm on spear I'm basically guaranteed a clear. there's plenty of game after you clear a run, so don't think you're going to want to be done with it!

more falafel please

forums poster

only have one more clear to finish the main story of hades if I understand correctly. did one with the gun on 1 heat, not too bad. i should try again with the bow I guess since everyone loves it so much

more falafel please

forums poster

yeah, I got the Artemis special and the hammer that does 3 specials, so my special was actually a decent amount of my damage, especially in the last boss fight

more falafel please

forums poster

biosterous posted:

phase one the best times to attack imo are right after he finishes a big stab or sweep, he usually takes a bit of time to start doing stuff again. excellent time to hit him in the back or hit him with your cast or w/e. it's also good to figure out asap if you can reliably kill the skulls quickly, or if you're better off just dodging over the big green waves

phase two i spend a lot of time dodging and then mostly hit him after he does his big jar summon or big laser. ideally i'll have some way to hurt him when hiding from the laser (hangover/doom/certain setups with jolt or chill, casts that can hit him while i'm in cover)

also my playstyle i basically am never not dodging, i'm p much always hitting the dodge button twice before doing anything and then immediately dodging two more times

my other strategy is to try to have at least two death defies and ~200 hp at the start of it

more falafel please

forums poster

Jolo posted:

As I get older I care less about playing games on Normal. Some games feel like harder = enemies take less damage while you take more and bumping down to easy just makes the game feel better.

The newer Wolfenstein 2 felt way too hard on normal for me and I bumped it down by the end and had a better time.

yup. ezmode for life

Bobby Deluxe posted:

my gaming life improved immeasurably when i stopped trying to get trophies / achievements

yup. there's a really good GDC talk by Chris Hecker about achievements and the Pizza Hut Book-It program

I can't tell if this video just doesn't work on mobile or if you need gdc vault access but https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012290/Achievements-Considered-Harmful

and his notes/slides/mp3 of the talk https://chrishecker.com/Achievements_Considered_Harmful%3F

more falafel please

forums poster

yeah keep anything you can evolve, especially the ones that are only 12 to evolve. once you get like 50-60 you can evolve, pop a lucky egg and spend 30 minutes just evolving pokemans. if you can time it, do it when you hit your 7 day streaks so you get the double xp for that too. same with research rewards if you can stack them up. I use the tagging system to mark what I want to evolve

there's no way around that you need to upgrade storage for pokemans and items, but if you've got gyms close by you should be able to get a decent amount of coins. I haven't paid for anything, I played for probably about a year when it came out, stopped caring, and then got back into it in covid times. I'm almost level 33, the leveling is slow as hell.

more falafel please

forums poster

Jolo posted:

I'm making a habit of getting to Hades thinking "yeah! This setup is great! Totally gonna get him this time!" followed by getting my rear end whooped.

Some runs it feels like I mostly fight him while other times I'm spending most of the fight destroying pots and fighting summoned enemies. I swear, the blast waves that those pots send out give me all kinds of trouble. They're not that difficult to avoid but I still manage to get chipped away by them.

i like video games the most when I have enough of a health cushion that I can just face-tank it. so usually I like to go into hades with ~200 hp and at least one death defy. a call that does a lot of damage helps a lot too

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

I really like how Control blends real video and human actors into the game and doesn't render it all in the game engine. Also even though there's no mistaking the NPCs for human actors, the facial motion capture on them is really quite good.

I just started playing it tonight, it was free on ps plus. some definite scp vibes, which is cool, and I like that it has lots of options to lower the difficulty

more falafel please

forums poster

axolotl farmer posted:

Control was free on PS+ this month. should I play Control?

i grabbed it for the same reason and i'm not very far into it yet, but i'm enjoying it

i figure if i start to not like it i won't feel bad about putting it down since i didn't (specifically) pay for it

more falafel please

forums poster

boz posted:

The best way to play Control is to play in Grandpa Mode.

Turn off taking any damage and turn up the energy recharge meter.

Sprinkle with One Shot Kills to taste.

the load times are so long that this is probably the right move, just so you never die

more falafel please

forums poster

i'll keep duplicates if they have different good moves. also check their IVs (appraise) and make sure you're not getting rid of a much better pokemon because it's like 20CP lower

more falafel please

forums poster

for everyone who might be interested, the video game/idle game/fanfic repository/sports betting simulator/cultural event of Blaseball is back

more falafel please

forums poster

finished control. the end was fun. I'm glad I didn't read anything about what the ashtray maze was because it was a very cool surprise

not sure if I'm gonna do the dlc. i really need to play outer wilds next because my friend wrote it and it's been out for like 2 years

more falafel please

forums poster

Timelord posted:

nice, i really liked that game. did you get the movie camera SCP(OoP or whatever)? worth the time to get.
outer wilds is super sick but it probably will suck you into a marathon of it

just googled and apparently it's in the first DLC so i haven't yet. i didn't do any side quests really, but i might go back and try to do more of that stuff, we'll see. the launch mechanic feels so, so, so good, it's one of my favorite combat abilities in any game

more falafel please

forums poster

i played dota yesterday for the first time in a very long time

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

I got Everspace on steam on sale. At first I was not a fan of the roguelike die over and over, but once I got used to it I'm kind of enjoying it. I like how they made it part of the story. It also helps that the systems are randomized each restart, and you keep the perks you've earned. I'd love a cheat that gave you infinite time before the aliens chase you to the next system. The game is gorgeous and scratches that fly around in space, mine some asteroids, explore some wrecks, blast some outlaws itch that Elite Dangerous absolutely did not.

if you haven't played hades you should try it. it does a really good job making the rogue like part feel like the actual progression of the game instead of an arbitrary punishment system

more falafel please

forums poster

mass effect remaster gripe: drat i know this game came out 14 years ago but it's buck wild that when i go do a side mission on a planet, spend 15 minutes driving through/fighting a bunch of stuff on the mako, go into a building and die, i start at my last autosave which is "you just landed on the planet". i know when i played it originally i obsessively saved, but i forgot how bad it was about that

more falafel please

forums poster

i finished mass effect 1 remastered, probably gonna be a few weeks before I can start 2.

renegade femshep, saved kaidan, romanced liara, saved wrex, killed the thorian, freed the rachni queen, saved the council, picked Anderson.

more falafel please

forums poster

oh poo poo here we go again

more falafel please

forums poster

i'm doing mass effect 2 remastered as vanguard and I forget that you don't get assault rifles unless you specifically take the upgrade so im rushing that now because all the other guns suck. the pistol is ok but the ammo is so limited. shotguns are fun but I'm not used to the charge/shotgun/cover cycle yet and it's harder than cover/assault rifle

more falafel please

forums poster

i must have just remembered vanguard having assault rifles in me3. ah well. apparently there's a mission that you get on a collector ship and it gives you weapon training so you can pick up assault rifles and you can kind of rush it so you do it early so that's what i'm gonna do. gotta get grunt next and then just do some random missions

also i realized last night that if i'm high i don't mind scanning every planet in an entire nebula for resources, so i have a new strategy: play mass effect until i want to go to bed in an hour or so, get high, launch probes, go to bed

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

I picked up Hades last night. I'm not huge into roguelikes, but this is pretty good. The voice acting and writing is great, the graphics are really polished, and it's a fun game to play casually when I've got a few hours of free time. So far I can't get past the first Fury, but I got really close one time. The randomized rooms and rewards keep it fresh.
I also picked up Yakuza: Like a Dragon since it was in sale, based on what people were saying about it ITT.

yeah, hades is goty for me. megaera is the first big wall so you're not alone in getting stuck there, and hopefully you're still making some progress with darkness/etc so you're improving a bit each run.

Meg's attacks all have a pretty big startup (and her charge aims when she starts the animation) so they're usually pretty easy to dodge. ranged weapons/attacks work really well against her if you can just kite, and I found having an Athena boon that gives deflect on dash or attack to be super useful especially for the second phase

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

I found the shield pretty useful because it blocks her attacks, but its range attack is pretty weak and you can shield bash your way into a lot of traps and sticky situations. So it worked well to get to her, but less well in the actual battle. The spear is the best for damage, and what got me closest to beating her, but I didn't have the auto revive skill yet on that run, so I didn't quite have the legs to pull it off. It's fun though, I really like how the spear works.

the spear is my favorite by far, it fits my preferred play style of "don't ever move, only dash strike"

the sword/gun/shield/fists are ok. I hate the bow

more falafel please

forums poster

Meg is also probably a good place to get good with cast, but I basically never use cast unless i get a cool boon (one of them drops some bombs I think? I forget what it is)

more falafel please

forums poster

also I think the first time I cleared Meg I got past the second and third bosses too. the second boss is easy imo, and the third boss is long but pretty straightforward. so if you think "oh no this is the first boss, I'm never gonna get through this game", don't

more falafel please

forums poster

my great FPS shame is that the headcrabs freak me out too much to have beaten either half-life game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

i still haven't finished quake 3. every time i finish a level there's just another one waiting. sometimes it's even the same level again but with different enemies? maybe i'm doing the boss wrong or something