Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«697 »
Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Whatcha need is the number for your friendly neighborhood scrapper. My garage would be a wreck if I wasn't able to call him and leave all my metal poo poo by the road in boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STR
May 12, 2006

I thought I was a nice jester

This too. My old mechanic has a scrapper that picks up everything for him. They don't ask each other any questions, he just leaves bins full of scrap outside, they get emptied 2-3x a week overnight.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A garden full of trees, and a pocket full of cheese.

We got a scrap metal guy that comes around here on a regular basis, but we (work) typically save our poo poo up and bring it to a local scrap metal place every so often. A few hundred pounds of steel isn't worth much but it'll buy a bunch of cases of water for working outside in the summer time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Hubris

Fun Shoe

2003 Civic Hybrid. I've noticed a smell of sulfur sometimes when I get of the car after driving. Any advice? I'm really hoping it's not the catalytic converter. I got that replaced something like a decade ago due to a recall, and I remember it would not have been cheap if it weren't for the recall. Wouldn't be surprised if a new converter is worth more than the car is at this point.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

2003 Civic Hybrid. I've noticed a smell of sulfur sometimes when I get of the car after driving. Any advice? I'm really hoping it's not the catalytic converter. I got that replaced something like a decade ago due to a recall, and I remember it would not have been cheap if it weren't for the recall. Wouldn't be surprised if a new converter is worth more than the car is at this point.

That is a symptom of a dying cat. And yes, its probably more than the car is worth, but if you donít need to pass inspection/emissions then just keep going.

STR
May 12, 2006

Or just get an exhaust shop to weld a cheap replacement in, instead of getting an OEM one.

It won't last as long, of course. Just wait until it throws the money light with a P0420 code though, assuming it's not already on (if it is on, whatever it's on for could be making it run rich, which could contribute to the smell).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Hubris

Fun Shoe

No check engine light yet, or I'd've mentioned it. And yeah, given the age of the vehicle I don't think it's worth putting new components in. But honestly it's sounding like I should probably start shopping for a replacement vehicle, and get what money I can out of this one.

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

Have you changed which gas station you go to by any chance?

How's the hybrid battery health? Are you running the gas engine more often?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Hubris

Fun Shoe

No change in gas stations, but I have been driving less recently (big shocker there) so the gas in the tank is older. Dunno if that impacts anything.

The hybrid battery seems fine. I got a reconditioned battery 5-6 years ago after the original one died. The '03 Civic Hybrid always runs the gas engine; the battery/motor just gives it a power boost for acceleration and hills. I have noticed my mileage degrade a bit; I now get around 35-38MPG on freeways, 30MPG in my (hilly) neighborhood. When I first got the car 12 years and 100k miles ago, I got more like 45-50MPG.

STR
May 12, 2006

That's a pretty big decline, you're drat close to plain ol' Civic mileage now. IIRC my Civic would do about 38 highway, but a 96 was (probably) lighter.

Hybrids typically get better city mileage vs highway too, so 30 city is downright poo poo.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

That does depend on the city, my Ioniq gets around 42-47 in my hilly mostly 45mph area, and 60-68ish highway, so if 10 years ago you lived in a flatter area it might just be that for the local trips, that highway mileage though is terrible and there might be something wrong.

STR
May 12, 2006

That was the first generation of Civic hybrid, that highway mileage is pretty normal for them. And to be honest, Honda's hybrids lag way behind Toyota when it comes to efficiency (Toyota has long been regarded as the gold standard, though other makers have really stepped up their game - like Hyundai). The one good thing about Honda hybrids over Toyota is you could still get 3 pedals and a stick with a lot of them, so you got something more fun to drive than a Prius while still getting better city mpg vs a regular Civic. Even the Insight and CR-Z, which were both hybrid-only, were available with 3 pedals.

Highway mileage in most hybrids is going to be lower than the city mileage, simply because the gas engine is doing all the work at that point (until you find a hill), plus there's the extra weight of the hybrid system on top of that. You're also driving an Ioniq, which is leaps and bounds ahead of ~20 year old (design) early generation hybrid from every car maker - the mileage comparison really doesn't work too well in this case. The early Civic hybrids were essentially a Civic LX sedan with aluminum wheels, low rolling resistance tires, and a ~20 hp electric motor/generator shoved between the engine and transaxle, plus a heavy battery pack, and a smaller engine.. and it couldn't run on just battery power unless a very specific set of circumstances were met - the gas engine runs all the time. Even for their time, they really weren't very good hybrids.

STR fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 3, 2020

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

Doctor Rope

I have 2017 Civic that is getting a lot less use due to quarantining. I haven't put gas in it since early March, and I'm just now down to a little less than 1/4 tank.

I bought some of this for the next fill up: https://www.goldeagle.com/product/s...uel-stabilizer/

They don't really clarify if it is OK in turbo charged engines, does anyone know if it is safe for them?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Hubris

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

Even for their time, they really weren't very good hybrids.

I feel obliged to leap to my car's defense here, in that I've driven it for 12 years, putting over 100k miles on it, with only routine maintenance and a couple of product recalls during that time. I'd guess my average mileage over that time is around 41-44MPG. It's not a great car now, but it's also almost old enough to vote.

That said, I gather most of this is typical for Civics of the time anyway, so if you're just saying "the cost, battery weight, and reduced engine power weren't worth the improved mileage" that may well be a fair argument.

I wish I could remember if I got my car smogged last year or two years ago, because that determines if I have 3 or 15 months to get it replaced...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

CapMoron posted:

I have 2017 Civic that is getting a lot less use due to quarantining. I haven't put gas in it since early March, and I'm just now down to a little less than 1/4 tank.

I bought some of this for the next fill up: https://www.goldeagle.com/product/s...uel-stabilizer/

They don't really clarify if it is OK in turbo charged engines, does anyone know if it is safe for them?

It will be fine when you fill it up.

«697 »