Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, I rented a compression tester. I wasn't there for the test but my dad said he followed the instructions, removed all the (old) spark plugs and then used the tester cylinder by cylinder:

Compression Test:
  • 1 150 lbs
  • 2 123 lbs
  • 3 175 lbs
  • 4 153 lbs
  • 5 149 lbs
  • 6 121 lbs

Ok, so I googled as I was posting this and apparently a difference of more than 10% is a problem? My dad was testing it by himself and he said there was a release on the gauge so I don't think it matters that he had to crank it then get out and go check the readings? He also believes he cranked it more times than the instructions said for the high reading, dunno if that matters or if he's just looking for reasons for the reading.

I'd welcome any more input but I was wondering, could a security system be the problem here? The battery's been disconnected since the problem started but from googling what if the wire in the ignition cylinder is broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SBCs certainly can jump time, though I think that engine is new enough to be at a greatly reduced risk of it. GM used phenolic cam gears for a while (think 70s) which would eventually strip. If they let go at speed, you get to replace the timing cover when the chain eats through it too.

If you have fuel and spark I don't think it would be a security problem? I don't recall how GM antitheft of that era works anyway. I know Jeeps of that vintage will start, then shut off again.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Godholio posted:

Are you running mud tires?

Nope. Stock size AT's that were on it when I bought it. The cab of a first gen Cummins truck is basically aluminum foil with no sound deadening.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes, I rented a compression tester. I wasn't there for the test but my dad said he followed the instructions, removed all the (old) spark plugs and then used the tester cylinder by cylinder:

Compression Test:
  • 1 150 lbs
  • 2 123 lbs
  • 3 175 lbs
  • 4 153 lbs
  • 5 149 lbs
  • 6 121 lbs

Ok, so I googled as I was posting this and apparently a difference of more than 10% is a problem? My dad was testing it by himself and he said there was a release on the gauge so I don't think it matters that he had to crank it then get out and go check the readings? He also believes he cranked it more times than the instructions said for the high reading, dunno if that matters or if he's just looking for reasons for the reading.

The higher numbers are in the ballpark of what you want to see. And yes, you want consistency, but it's definitely holding compression so I don't think this is your problem.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Could their maybe be failure between where I checked fuel pressure and the cylinders? Like isn't the pressure checked on the rail but then it goes to injectors? No? Do they even all fail at once?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well that's a question, is it true multi port with 6 injectors, or is it that CPI poo poo with a central injector unit and hoses carrying it to each cylinder?

Injectors generally do not fail in batches, no.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just based off the anticipation of direct injection in the mustang thread I think that design is a new hotness not seen on this truck; at this point I'm not really sure what to check.

I did find out that when my dad checked the fuses he only checked the ones in the engine bay so I asked him to check ones under the dash.

Edit: Google says it has a spider injector.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 19, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

SBCs certainly can jump time, though I think that engine is new enough to be at a greatly reduced risk of it. GM used phenolic cam gears for a while (think 70s) which would eventually strip. If they let go at speed, you get to replace the timing cover when the chain eats through it too.

If you have fuel and spark I don't think it would be a security problem? I don't recall how GM antitheft of that era works anyway. I know Jeeps of that vintage will start, then shut off again.

BCM locks the injectors out. Security light should flash on dash typically and sometimes starter disables too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alright so the way CPI works is it has one bigass injector unit. There's hoses coming off it that go to each cylinder (the "spider") with a spring-loaded poppet valve leading to an injector nozzle. Fuel is released through a solenoid valve into the appropriate hose, and when the pressure in the hose gets high enough, it pushes the poppet open and fuel sprays into the cylinder runner. Simple.

Except those poppets wear out, as do the solenoids in the center unit (called a "maxi injector"), and the hoses can clog or otherwise not flow properly. And if anything's not functioning right, GM doesn't sell replacement components for it, so you get to replace the entire goddamn assembly. Which is naturally over $100 (and that's for the first-gen batch-fire unit, yours is new enough it's probably a sequential unit, so probably more expensive).

You could have great fuel pressure at the supply line/regulator, but between the solenoids, hoses, poppets and nozzle, there's a whole lot of potential failure points where you could have pressure dropping due to a restriction, blocking flow and loving up your engine running.

Have fun.

fake edit: this page has some good info on diagnosis. Looks like there is some good news in that i was wrong; the second gen unit you probably have actually does have separately replaceable hoses, so if the injector proper is good you might be able to shotgun 6 hose assemblies at it, depending how cheap you can get them of course.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Do you have a chip in your key? Do you know if your gauge cluster is in good working order? Try starting then leave key in on position for a bit to see if the security light flashes in the center.

There is a passlock resync process. Try some starting fluid when cranking vs flooding with fuel

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 19, 2016

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks for all your help guys, I'm reading that CPI page now. Regarding security, I asked my dad about that this morning and he did say his security light was on his dash, but he'd also left his battery disconnected (I'm not sure for how long) after having this problem. From googling resetting the BCM should I:

Disconnect the two battery terminals and touch the two (disconnected!) terminals together for ~30 seconds?

Seems this makes sure you drain the batteries inside the computer. Or is that something stupid from a random forum I should just ignore and try:

Disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for a period of time.

If so, how long? Some forums said 15 minutes, some people just left it unplugged for hours or whatever because who cares.

I'm not sure if the key has a chip, 01 feels early like that for me but what do I know. If I can get a verdict on what to do resetting the BCM before my lunch break is over I'll call my dad and see if he can do it now, otherwise I'll try it after work.

Edit: Here's what I saw in a youtube video for reprogramming/resetting a GM BCM, in the video they had swapped the ECU and the truck didn't start, security light (truck with a pad lock) was on:

• Put the key in, turn it to the on position, crank it just for a moment.
  • After cranking it for just a moment, wait 10 minutes in the on position.
  • Once the 10 minutes is up, turn the key to the off position for 10 seconds.
  • Repeat the above steps twice more. So a total of three times you crank the car for a second, then leave it in the on position for 10 minutes, then wait 10 seconds, then crank and wait 10 minutes again, etc, a total of 3 times.
  • Finally, after the last 10 second wait in the off position, turn the key back into the on position. The security light will disappear and then the truck starts normally.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 19, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You have the resync process right. You may have a busted wire in the column too from movement of column. There is an easy bypass then you do relearn process. This would be after relearn doesn't work and pull battery if in column since air bags hurt.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Awesome, thanks again. I left a message with my dad explaining the reset process and hopefully (after his nap :3: ) he'll try the reset. The CPI (or perhaps more accurately CSFI with this model) is interesting and I'll explore that more if I have to.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, I'm almost certain he has vats issues. Toilet bowl injection rarely has issues. Good luck!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Got a text from my mom saying "it started :)". You guys rock. I'll get specifics later to see if it was the battery disconnect or the bcm reset procedure.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 19, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It would be appreciated if someone could help me make sense of some part numbers!

Issue history: I drive a 1998 Honda Civic, and recently my mode door actuator for the heating/cooling went out on me. Called a mechanic today to get a quote on getting it fixed, he said that the only place he could find a part was direct from Honda for $185, but I was free to search around and if I found a cheaper and/or used one I could bring it in to be installed. Some googling led me to believe that what I needed was a "AA113800" blend door motor.

This is all well and good, but I'm finding gently used ones on ebay for $30 or less. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but that just seems too good to be true. I don't want to pay twice for labor to have them install the wrong part.

Am I looking at the right thing?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
No idea about the actual part you need, but $30 vs $185 is about right. I just bought a speed sensor for my Toyota for £11 on Aliexpress, RRP is £250 from the dealer. Sensor works fine. Ask the mechanic to tell you the part number, and if the part you provide works, give him a few bucks to say thanks, I guess.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jivjov posted:

It would be appreciated if someone could help me make sense of some part numbers!

Issue history: I drive a 1998 Honda Civic, and recently my mode door actuator for the heating/cooling went out on me. Called a mechanic today to get a quote on getting it fixed, he said that the only place he could find a part was direct from Honda for $185, but I was free to search around and if I found a cheaper and/or used one I could bring it in to be installed. Some googling led me to believe that what I needed was a "AA113800" blend door motor.

This is all well and good, but I'm finding gently used ones on ebay for $30 or less. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but that just seems too good to be true. I don't want to pay twice for labor to have them install the wrong part.

Am I looking at the right thing?

I don't know if it's the right part, but googling that part number it looks like that Denso part is in a lot of stuff, including some domestic stuff (Dodge) and some Mercedes as well. One ebay ad said it was from an ML430, and Rockauto has a blend door motor for that car new for $64. I don't know if it's right, or if Hella (lol since when did they make stuff besides lights and horns?) makes a quality motor, but it's potentially an option?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, I'm not trying to spam this thread but I wanted to post one last follow up now that I've found out what happened, I know people hate reading through these threads later and not knowing what actually fixed the issue.

2001 GMC Sonoma, 150k miles, 4.3 v6,
Doesn't Start

So we made a fundamental troubleshooting mistake and god only knows how far it could have gone. It seems that after all the plugs and plug wires were changed we did the inline ignition test but never actually tried starting the truck! No, I don't know how we made such a dumb mistake. My dad went out there to try the CBM reset steps and noticed the engine 'sounded like it wanted to start' and cranked it right up. Cranked up twice more, everything seems fine.

The plugs, plug wires and coil wire are the only new parts we put on so our best guess is that the coil wire had burnt out.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Great! Glad it is running. Please never use a gas can to pour gas into an engine like that ever again either. Insta flood and if something is hot or wire cover is missing it could be on rescue 911.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys, i'm dumb.

My 2016 Tacoma low tire pressure came on after I loaded the back of my truck with like 100 skis and 3 passengers. I put air in all the tires and it went off, but the next morning the light comes back on and it does this every day. Granted it's also been like -2 degrees every night.

Is it most likely a flat you guys think or just a combination of the cold and that weight I put on it?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Get an actual tire pressure gauge for like 10 bucks and see if the tires Match what the door says.. if it does then take it back to the dealer and tell them one of the tpms sensors isn't working.

I have a Sienna and the light will go off after 20-40 min of driving and my tires haven't changed pressure.

Cold shrinks air so would lead to lower pressures.

Weight would add pressure though.

Most likely it's the tpms battery or tpms unit taking a poo poo.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks. The dealer is kind of a rear end in a top hat when it comes to the warranty but i'm going to make sure they do it. I know it's the drivers side rear tire, as everytime I refill it with air the light goes off but then comes on the next night. I bought a tire pressure gauge thing also so.

Thanks dude

e; The thing that is making me nutty is that it came on once I filled the back of it with all those skis, I never saw the light before or anything.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 20, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks. The dealer is kind of a rear end in a top hat when it comes to the warranty but i'm going to make sure they do it. I know it's the drivers side rear tire, as everytime I refill it with air the light goes off but then comes on the next night. I bought a tire pressure gauge thing also so.

Thanks dude

e; The thing that is making me nutty is that it came on once I filled the back of it with all those skis, I never saw the light before or anything.

Do you need to keep filling it to get it up to the right pressure? If yes then your tire had a leak, I'm not then tpms is the issue.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are diesel engines in generally more or less polluting compared to gasoline engines? It seems like the general perception is that they're less polluting, but I saw a couple of articles claiming the opposite.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
They return more miles per gallon, but the fumes they poo poo out are more toxic than those from gasoline.

Everyone should just run on propane if they give a gently caress about their exhaust composition.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Boz0r posted:

Are diesel engines in generally more or less polluting compared to gasoline engines? It seems like the general perception is that they're less polluting, but I saw a couple of articles claiming the opposite.

If the articles were about VW's, then worse. VW was caught cheating in their software so they would run clean during tests, but then would go into a "dirty" mode during normal driving, giving customers more power and fuel economy while removing the need to fill with special fluids that clean the exhaust. They were emitting up to 40x more pollutants while doing this.

In general, I believe they put out more of one type of pollutant, less of another. The US used to have "dirty" diesel fuel with extra sulphur that contributed to this. Most manufacturers add a urea tank that mixes with the exhaust and leeches out the bad stuff, but the tank needs to be refilled regularly.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 20, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Diesel engines are more efficient at converting fuel into energy, so in that sense, they are less polluting than gasoline engines in terms of CO2. On the other hand, they put out more of other pollutants like particulate matter (PM) and NOx. The former is mitigated by the diesel particulate filter (DPF) and systems like lean NOx trap (LNT) or selective catalytic reduction (SCR - this is what urea/ammonia is used in (AdBlue in VW terms)).

Also, diesel engines are much better for torque, which is why it's used for large trucks, power generation (in addition to gaseous fuels, obviously), large marine engines, etc. If you tried to get the same performance out of an engine running gasoline, it would be much, much less efficient and thus end up polluting far more (CO2), because you can mitigate the other pollutants by using exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), DPF, LNT/SCR, etc. TBH I don't know what they use on those large engines like for marine applications, but presumably they have some sort of DPF/LNT/SCR system.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

TBH I don't know what they use on those large engines like for marine applications, but presumably they have some sort of DPF/LNT/SCR system.

No lol straight pipes.

Watch me float coal.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Diesel is a more energy dense fuel than gasoline, so as has been previously stated, diesel is a more efficient fuel thermally and in the distance/volume sense. However, diesel exhaust contains harmful substances, most important amongst them being solid particulate matter (soot) and nitrogen oxide.

In order to combat this, modern diesel engine use an egr system and filters to reduce soot output, as well as a urea based selective catalytic reduction (scr) system which causes a chemical reaction in the exhaust to convert nitrogen oxide into nitrogen, water, and some CO2. With these systems in place and functioning properly, diesel engines can pollute less than gasoline engines for a given amount of fuel, but as the VW emissions scandal has shown, it is really easy for an automaker to game the system so that the engine is performing better than it should for their claimed emissions, and I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't the only ones doing it. :tinfoil:

In short, diesel pollutes more, but modern systems can prevent that, provided they have not been tampered with, albiet at the expense of some performance.

Sources:

http://www.dieselforum.org/about-clean-diesel/what-is-scr

http://www.dieselforum.org/about-clean-diesel/what-is-clean-diesel

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_scandal

Edit:

totalnewbie posted:

TBH I don't know what they use on those large engines like for marine applications, but presumably they have some sort of DPF/LNT/SCR system.

I don't believe marine engines are restricted in the same way as road going engines, and since they operate under more constant loads they don't behave in quite the same way either. I thought I read not too long ago somewhere that in international shipping lanes the presence of diesel soot actually has a localized atmospheric cooling effect but I'm having trouble finding it now.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 20, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

No lol straight pipes.

Watch me float coal.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I don't believe marine engines are restricted in the same way as road going engines, and since they operate under more constant loads they don't behave in quite the same way either. I thought I read not too long ago somewhere that in international shipping lanes the presence of diesel soot actually has a localized atmospheric cooling effect but I'm having trouble finding it now.

I'd have thought there'd at least be some sort of system for NOx emissions. :/

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't the only ones doing it. :tinfoil:

Renault and Opel (GM) have been in the news recently for some suspicious activity w/r/t diesel emissions.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

I'd have thought there'd at least be some sort of system for NOx emissions. :/

I've done a little bit of work related to off-road machinery. Usually there will be two models: and "US" version and an "ROW" (rest of the world) version. The US version gets an emissions package as large as the engine itself. The ROW version gets a muffler.

It all depends on who has jurisdiction over the ships.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

And people say the US isn't committed to the environment.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Uthor posted:

I've done a little bit of work related to off-road machinery. Usually there will be two models: and "US" version and an "ROW" (rest of the world) version. The US version gets an emissions package as large as the engine itself. The ROW version gets a muffler.

Oh, well, that makes a lot of sense. I imagine there's a lot more "ROW" ships than "US" ships, given how arbitrarily it seems those large ships get registered (at least to an outsider).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Oh, well, that makes a lot of sense. I imagine there's a lot more "ROW" ships than "US" ships, given how arbitrarily it seems those large ships get registered (at least to an outsider).

https://www.portoflosangeles.org/environment/ogv.asp

Some harbors are incentivizing their ships to not be nasty. They use bunker fuel which is literally the "sludge at the bottom of the barrel" which is super nasty. They've also done things like use EV's to tote around the containers.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Uthor posted:

One of the many reasons that many ships are registered in third world countries.

The larger cruise lines are starting to fit scrubbers to their ships, but I've spent many a night eating on an open deck only to have soot rain down onto me.

Most cruise ships aren't allowed in the waters around Alaska due to their pollution. Their solution is to fit secondary gas turbine engines and use those when in Alaskan waters.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Their solution is to fit secondary gas turbine engines and use those when in Alaskan waters.

I was idling wondering if someone would do something like that to get around port restrictions.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Uthor posted:

I was idling wondering if someone would do something like that to get around port restrictions.

Check out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiance-class_cruise_ship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2

For some examples. These are just the ones from companies I work(ed) for. There may be many more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Check out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiance-class_cruise_ship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2

For some examples. These are just the ones from companies I work(ed) for. There may be many more.

Wow, that's nuts that there's so much information about those ships on Wikipedia. I would have assumed it would mostly be kept as a trade secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
On tankers there are a lot more regs for the cargo. In California closed loading happens with huge vapor recovery gear. The cargo is inerted with big Inert Gas systems that percolate exhaust through water and make the air above the cargo unable to support combustion. Not much care is given to the engines.