Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

Almost nothing for under $60/day is going to have ACC an lane centering. In cars that MIGHT be in that price point you are looking at the highest trims and even then it's largely optional equipment. I'd say your best bet to get close would be looking at Ford Fusions, Nissan Sentras, and Toyota Camrys.

I guess barring sitting in every car, is anyone aware of being able to call and request these features at a rental place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

I guess barring sitting in every car, is anyone aware of being able to call and request these features at a rental place.

Rental places would be likely be advertising these features if they had any cars with them. Turo is going to be hit or miss of course, but I would think people would mention these things in the listing since it's a desirable feature for some.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
A bunch of Subarus have those basic features like active cruise and eyesight. Never seen a rental Subaru though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

A bunch of Subarus have those basic features like active cruise and eyesight. Never seen a rental Subaru though.

They are far too unreliable to be rentals.

(but a lot of fun to drive)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Welp somehow my car got scratched right above the front passenger fender. Didn't see who or what did it either. I'm very new to this "car ownership" thing and this is a new car so I'm kinda anxious about it.
What are my next steps - can this be repaired without looking like rear end?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Motronic posted:

They are far too unreliable to be rentals.

Uhhhhhh.... What?
They rent out Chryslers....

luminalflux posted:

Welp somehow my car got scratched right above the front passenger fender. Didn't see who or what did it either. I'm very new to this "car ownership" thing and this is a new car so I'm kinda anxious about it.
What are my next steps - can this be repaired without looking like rear end?

Scratch remover should take care of that pretty easily.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Scratch remover should take care of that pretty easily.

Cool, I was going to get it detailed anyway, i'll have them take a look at it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Uhhhhhh.... What?
They rent out Chryslers....

Chrylsers are disposable at a disposable price (in bulk to rental agencies).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

STR posted:

Any nut that threads on will work for now, but may corrode quickly. Take the bolt with you to a parts store (if it comes out) to find a nut that matches the threads.

Yeah, I can't count the number of times I've dragged in parts and they never bat an eye.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Almost nothing for under $60/day is going to have ACC an lane centering. In cars that MIGHT be in that price point you are looking at the highest trims and even then it's largely optional equipment. I'd say your best bet to get close would be looking at Ford Fusions, Nissan Sentras, and Toyota Camrys.

You'd be surprised. Last time I rented a car it ended up being a brand new Santa Fe (which would have cost more than $60/day if I'd reserved that class) which had adaptive cruise and lane centering, along with Android Auto. Honestly a really nice ride for the money these days.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The real problem will be expecting to be able to reserve any specific car ahead of time. At best you can reserve something in a certain size, but the specific car you get will entirely depend on what they have left that day. Unless you pay big bucks for a specialty car/exotic.

Often though you won’t even get something in the same size you reserved. One time I had a compact reserved and all they had left was a crown Vic and a bunch of full size SUVs.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have rented hundreds of cars through national and hertz and only once have I gotten a Subaru.

I think almost all toyotas come with adaptive cruise and lane keep assist as standard. Your best bet is to call and ask the branch your renting through and ask what they can give you for $60 a day.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wesleywillis posted:

How well does the "Hair dryer/keyboard duster" trick work for taking dents out of poo poo? Guy I work with says I dented his hood (this is going back a few years). I'm not sure if I did or not. No witnesses, circumstantial evidence at best. If I did, I did, I'll own up to it and fix it or have it fixed, but he says don't worry about it.

Except when we're pissed off and arguing with each other, at which time he'll bring it up again, So I'd rather just fix it and then tell him to gently caress off next time he brings it up.

Car is a Nissan X Trail of 2006 or so vintage, dent is at the front edge of the hood, and about 1.5- 2inches in diameter.

Anyone?

Any other secret tips to remove a dent without the body shop?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Home gamer bodywork doesn't work. Pay for a painteless dent dude to look at it. They will tell you whether they can do ti or not.

There is no "one weird trick" for someone who knows nothing about bodywork to magically fix someone else's car with confidence.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have mounted winter tires stacked in my garage all summer. It is not climate controlled, but reasonably cooler than outside.
I have a big covered porch with acres of dry shady storage and want to store the wheels there instead.
This is the mid Atlantic region. How bad an idea is this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Rental guy who wants autopilot: Cadillac with Supercruise is probably a good bet. I think Mazdas also fit most of your needs with ACC and LAS. I have also had Volvo XC-60s with those features. All from National.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How can I slow down or stop... this?

My paint is peeling right off, in chunks. It's a Saturn, so most of the body panels are plastic (all of the panels that are metal - hood, roof, trunk lid - are fine - spoiler is bare plastic/fiberglass/whatever at this point). Paint is currently escaping from the doors and A pillar trim/roof rail trim (pictured - they're one and the same on this car).

MOST of the places this is happening in had some deep scratches in the paint, but it's started happening in areas that were pretty much blemish-free (as blemish-free as 14 year old GM paint gets, anyway).

2006 Saturn Ion with a late 2005 build date, so it'll be the same black paint used by the G5 and Cobalt.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 1, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Assuming you don't care much about appearance, dip the panels that are peeling...?

Re: rental chat, some rental companies (in my case, Enterprise) disable features like ACC and lane correction. I had a Nissan Altima in February and another in May, and both always advised the ACC system was offline every time you turned the key. I'm guessing the reasoning is someone can't try to blame an accident on a malfunction or unexpected behavior from those systems if they're disabled.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Geoj posted:

^
Assuming you don't care much about appearance, dip the panels that are peeling...?
This, or buy some black vinyl off ebay

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

My Google-fu is failing me; can anyone get me the one-touch window reset procedure for a 2007 Mercury Sable? The procedures I've found ain't workin'.

Posted this in the chat thread because i'm stupid. Anyone got something?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geoj posted:

^

Re: rental chat, some rental companies (in my case, Enterprise) disable features like ACC and lane correction. I had a Nissan Altima in February and another in May, and both always advised the ACC system was offline every time you turned the key. I'm guessing the reasoning is someone can't try to blame an accident on a malfunction or unexpected behavior from those systems if they're disabled.

I’ve never seen this and I’m in rentals a lot. I would suspect damage or a fault with the system first. I don’t even know if you can manually disable them entirely?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ve never seen this and I’m in rentals a lot. I would suspect damage or a fault with the system first. I don’t even know if you can manually disable them entirely?

I would assume if you're ordering for a fleet you can ask the manufacturer to turn certain features off. Or a company the size of Enterprise might just have the equipment necessary to do it themselves.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Stupid house related car question. I have a barely-two-car garage with basically 8ft ceilings. There's maybe a 12-18 inches of space from the edge of the garage door to the exterior wall on either side.

I have no idea how to plan an organization scheme or figure out what sorts of shelving would be the best use of space without making it difficult to actually fit two cars in the garage.

Since the ceiling is so low I can't do one of those hanging racks, either.

I also want to install a ton of led tube lights on the ceiling so I'm not wrenching in the dark.

Please help me find resources for sprucing up and organizing my car hole. Garage Journal is just full of millionaires in the Midwest with 2,000 sq ft workshops and it's depressing

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Pegboard?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'd try hanging stuff in the corners, and putting as much on the head wall and then on the sides where it's convenient. Meaning, either at the door side or the head side depending on where the man door is.

Even at only 8ft ceilings, depending on the car you should still be able to put some overhead storage even if it's only 18" deep.

Otherwise get an outdoor shed and downsize whatever you can. I recently decided that house tools go in my basement storage and garage space is for car stuff and outdoors stuff only. I've got more headroom and sideroom though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What kind of garage door do you have? There's probably room above it, even with the door open, for some overhead racks. I have two in my garage like that.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Two car wide door with the motor mounted above, along the center of the ceiling. I wish I had gone for one of the motors that mounts on the side of the door when I replaced it, but it didn't cross my mind until after.

There's not a huge amount of space between the ceiling and the door. I'll have to measure it when I get home.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's not a single-panel door, right? My opener is that style with a multi-panel door and there's still a solid 20" or so clearance between the top of the door and the ceiling. It's not a ton of room but it is enough to get something there.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Yeah it's a multi panel door. I'll get out the measuring tape tonight. I was just under the assumption that those ceiling racks needed a few feet of space.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Stupid house related car question. I have a barely-two-car garage with basically 8ft ceilings. There's maybe a 12-18 inches of space from the edge of the garage door to the exterior wall on either side.

I have no idea how to plan an organization scheme or figure out what sorts of shelving would be the best use of space without making it difficult to actually fit two cars in the garage.

I also want to install a ton of led tube lights on the ceiling so I'm not wrenching in the dark.

Please help me find resources for sprucing up and organizing my car hole. Garage Journal is just full of millionaires in the Midwest with 2,000 sq ft workshops and it's depressing

Line the walls with shelving. A couple rows, with the lowest shelf high enough to clear the fenders of the car. Put a fold-up workbench along one wall.

When you want to work on a car, pull the other one out into the driveway, fold out the workbench, grab down the tools you need, and have at it. When you're done, put the tools back, fold the bench down and pull the other car back in.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
2014 Ford Expedition -

Right now, it's hot as hell out. Like, in the 90's. Past couple of times in the truck, the A/C with short cycle. Real quick. Just, shut off and before the noise of it even dissipates it kicks back on. Not really on full-blast, either. And really only once, a few minutes after start-up. So not again after an hour or more.

Leak? Just low freon? Anything else?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Yeah it's a multi panel door. I'll get out the measuring tape tonight. I was just under the assumption that those ceiling racks needed a few feet of space.

I have two Hylofts, depending on size they list the minimum clear height as 15-17", but worst case there's no reason you couldn't cut the vertical bars down and install it even closer to the ceiling. Of course the closer to the ceiling it is the less useful it is. They're pretty decent for storing poo poo I never use but don't want to throw away, like the stands for my wallmounted TVs / monitors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferrule posted:

2014 Ford Expedition -

Right now, it's hot as hell out. Like, in the 90's. Past couple of times in the truck, the A/C with short cycle. Real quick. Just, shut off and before the noise of it even dissipates it kicks back on. Not really on full-blast, either. And really only once, a few minutes after start-up. So not again after an hour or more.

Leak? Just low freon? Anything else?

Maybe, maybe (not), maybe.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Wiring up a set of Hella sharptones on my Mazdaspeed 3 to replace a dead horn - I'm running 12 gauge wire from the battery to a relay near the horns, should I complete the job with 12 gauge from the relay to the horns or would something smaller work over short distances?

If the latter, any suggestions on splitting 12 gauge wire without using an even larger splice that I lack an adequate size crimper for?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Just use 12 gauge all the way, and don't forget to fuse it at the battery.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

You probably have more room than you think provided you park properly. A second person can get in/out outside the garage.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Geoj posted:

Wiring up a set of Hella sharptones on my Mazdaspeed 3 to replace a dead horn - I'm running 12 gauge wire from the battery to a relay near the horns, should I complete the job with 12 gauge from the relay to the horns or would something smaller work over short distances?

If the latter, any suggestions on splitting 12 gauge wire without using an even larger splice that I lack an adequate size crimper for?

12 gauge for what? The horn itself or the signal circuit? Use 12 gauge for the load part. Amperage doesn't work that way for "distance". You can get away with something smaller for the signal circuit triggering that relay though.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Gue

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kid sinister posted:

12 gauge for what? The horn itself or the signal circuit? Use 12 gauge for the load part. Amperage doesn't work that way for "distance". You can get away with something smaller for the signal circuit triggering that relay though.

Intent is to use the original wire running to the stock horn to energize the relay coil, with a 12 gauge line running directly from the battery (with inline fuse.)

I guess I'll have to do a solder splice with heatshrink tubing as I lack a crimper for splices large enough to accommodate two 12 gauge wires. Unless someone knows of an off the shelf solution to splice three wires together and seal them from the elements without spending a small fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

MetaJew posted:

I have a similar arrangement, my garage has 7.5ft ish ceilings too short to fit our truck (opener required special low pivot hinges to not hit the ceiling after we added sheetrock) with about 18" on one side and 12" ish on the other. 2 support poles about a foot from one wall, has 3 regular doors on the sides and is a bit deeper than it is wide. We ended up going with cabinets/toolboxes/etc in front of one car and tucked the other in really tight against the 12" side and installing wall-mount shelves against the opposite side leaving a gap to open the pass. door. What you can do also depends where your interior door is and how much stuff you want to fit.

Pictures may help here as there are multiple shapes/configurations of small garage. Vehicles would help too, my garage is pretty roomy if I park my 89 Golf in it but it feels much tighter if we put the Camry in instead.

For lights I got some LED hanging lights that look like florescent fixtures from Costco but I'm sure others sell them, then just plugged them into one of the overhead sockets using a pull chain adapter.(There are better ways to do this)

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 2, 2019