Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Looking at a first car for my girlfriend, she's 23. What are the problem areas on the 96-01 Camry/ES300? Looking for a car in the 3k-ish area and it seems as though these are a little bit nicer and less beaten.

ie: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4902803684.html

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's kinda what I'm hoping for. She likes older cars but I'm trying to steer her towards a mid-late 90's Toyota tank for my own mental sanity and her small wallet. I guess I'll look and see how bad the belt job is.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a way to pull check engine codes on a 98 ES300 without an OBD reader? (flash codes?)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I know there's a lot of hate on BMW drivers, especially the ones who don't expect high repair costs.
Not really the case in AI. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a cheap way to hot tank a plastic intake manifold at home? I need to clean oil + carbon deposits out of a 2011 BMW 335 diesel intake manifold that is far too complex to do by hand.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What cheap MIGs should I be looking for on Craigslist? I have access to a 240v 50a socket in addition to the regular 120v.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a way to dye you own brake fluid? Since they stopped selling ATE Super Blue in the actual blue color...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Kinda stumped here. 2000 323 touring.
New front control arms, control arm bushings, dampers (all four), rear strut mounts, rear trailing arm bushings, and alignment. Car pulls left, steering wheel wants to turn left, when running a right hand corner fast it feels like the front tire is rolling over and wants to hop but left turns are fine. Under braking hard sometimes it will abruptly pull left hard but not all the time and all at once. Only untouched by me suspension parts left in the car at the front strut mounts, rear control arm bushings, and tie rod ends.

Tie rod ends weren't shot, nor were the rear control arm bushings. Tires are approaching the wear bars. During the alignment the car required .3* camber on one side to lessen the pull. Strut towers aren't deformed. Is the pull in the tires or should I just toss the money at new tierod ends and strut mounts?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 10, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I plan on tossing Ground Control camber plates on the car soon so I was trying to push the strut mounts off a couple of months. Guess I'll order a set of tires on Monday.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is it a flood car?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

Kinda stumped here. 2000 323 touring.
New front control arms, control arm bushings, dampers (all four), rear strut mounts, rear trailing arm bushings, and alignment. Car pulls left, steering wheel wants to turn left, when running a right hand corner fast it feels like the front tire is rolling over and wants to hop but left turns are fine. Under braking hard sometimes it will abruptly pull left hard but not all the time and all at once. Only untouched by me suspension parts left in the car at the front strut mounts, rear control arm bushings, and tie rod ends.

Tie rod ends weren't shot, nor were the rear control arm bushings. Tires are approaching the wear bars. During the alignment the car required .3* camber on one side to lessen the pull. Strut towers aren't deformed. Is the pull in the tires or should I just toss the money at new tierod ends and strut mounts?

Replaced both of tie rods, not just the ends. Ghetto alignment with strings but the steering wheel still drops to the left sometimes over bumps. Wtf?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 19, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

LeeMajors posted:

To preface: I am very anti-dealership when it comes to repairs/service.

BUT, as previously stated I need a timing belt/water pump done on the 5VZ-FE 2000 4Runner. The dealership is 50$ cheaper than the local Toyota/Lexus shop.

Normally I would be all over the specialty garage, but are high acuity repairs generally a safer bet with the dealership? Or should I just eat the cost and make it happen with the specialty place?

E: For the record, I hate myself for considering this--considering how much I hate the dealership. Just wondering if it's worth considering. Or talk me out of it, please.

I'd take it to the dealer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you code BMWs you can change whether the speedo displays actual speed or optimistic speed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Thanks guys. :) I think a $2000 Camry from the 90s is the way to go for this venture. If this company gig takes off I might end up buying it from him and using it until the engine blows up ~20 years later.

Bonus points for finding a Camry wagon.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Let's see a picture of the damage.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why would you go through your insurance? You aren't at fault, your out of pocket should be $0 either way here. Go through their insurance and be done with it, this is why everyone is supposed to have liability coverage.
I called my insurance company in a case like this. They fixed my car right away for $0 and then went after the other insurance company for the money.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How long will it run on a battery? May as well just pick up two Ballistic batteries with quick disconnects and swap them. Charge them at home.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Bad seal spotted.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
2002 S2000 - 32k miles.
I haven't gotten to look at the car yet (Friday) but he complained of the clutch feeling spongy and getting stuck. I told him to bleed it, which he did. Worked great at first, but now the clutch engages high and slips in higher gears (ie. freeway roll on). Bad slave, right? It's not leaking.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

VelociBacon posted:

Either way if the price is right it'd be a pretty good buy. That's a tiny amount of miles - has the timing belt been done? Dry rot ETC.

It's a friend's car. He overpaid for it (imo), but...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

That doesn't make sense, a bad slave/master would make the clutch more difficult to disengage, it wouldn't make it slip.

That's what I'm saying, but the slipping coincides with the clutch bleed. I figured maybe it's sticking partially engaged somehow.

Or it could just be the clutch is done and it's a strange coincidence.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

1500quidporsche posted:

What's the best DOT 4 brake fluid avaliable in north america?

Torque RT700 has the highest dry boiling point that I know of and Amazon sells it. RBF600 is everywhere, works, and is cheap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

VelociBacon posted:

It doesn't make sense for a clutch to be done with that mileage though? Did he bleed it himself? I would think slave or just a bad bleed.

Master is pissing fluid to the inside of the car. I'm swapping it out now, then we will see.

edit:

Clutch engages high, I'm writing it off to the clutch being almost dead. It slips pretty easily under power.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 3, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

ATE (gold or blue - I switch on each change so I know I have a full bleed)

Blue isn't for sale in the U.S. anymore. :( loving ridiculous.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Any tips or gotchas for doing the clutch on a S2000?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Parts Kit posted:

Was looking up info on rod knock, found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIOdS7XbHys

Am I missing something or is that an incredibly stupid way to go about this? He's got arcs flying and at 1:15 in particular got them coming off the bolts for the valve cover. :psyduck:

It tickles pretty good if you get yourself.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So how old are the tires? :) It's probably in the tires.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Looking for a new, fun but practical car in the $25k area. I plan on buying a 6spd GTI w/ lighting/sport packages. TrueCar says it is like $24.5k in my area. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

because...volkswagen?

(I want one too but Im scared)

I'm scared too, but it is far and away more practical than a BRZ. I'm hitting a dealer after work since I haven't actually sat in or driven one yet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

Blackmk4, are you getting rid of your e46 wagon manual conversion?

Yep. Bought a white 2016 6spd 4dr base GTI last night. Wanted the lighting package but it's not that big of a deal.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

I will live vicariously through your hopefully trouble free GTI ownership experience!

I like it a lot... and I have an appointment to have the APR flash done next week.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, naming the car in question is the first step. There isn't a ton of widespread information on what you're looking for but information exists for certain cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
06 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi - 38k miles. It started idling a little rough occasionally and the RPM gauge would sit at 0 when idling - same gas mileage and power as always. Started idling much worse the past week so I changed out the crank sensor, no change. CEL finally came on, came out to a Cyl 1 misfire. Changed the coil today, even worse. Unplugging the #1 coilpack doesn't seem to change much. Where should I start? Smooths out with throttle and the RPM gauge works. Injector?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I would have assumed the RPM read off the crank angle sensor, which is why I tried that first. The truck has always had weirdness about reading 0 at idle on the tach occasionally, so I think that's just coincidental.
I just pulled both plugs for cylinder 1 and they seem fine, though a little wet but don't smell like fuel or oil. I'm going to laugh if it popped the HG. No bubbles in the radiator or overflow or white smoke, though.

I almost wonder if it got some bad gas....?

edit: Put the stock coil back in it after putting the plugs back in... no big misfire. CEL is still on, I'll pull it later. gently caress it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 24, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

I would have assumed the RPM read off the crank angle sensor, which is why I tried that first. The truck has always had weirdness about reading 0 at idle on the tach occasionally, so I think that's just coincidental.
I just pulled both plugs for cylinder 1 and they seem fine, though a little wet but don't smell like fuel or oil. I'm going to laugh if it popped the HG. No bubbles in the radiator or overflow or white smoke, though.

I almost wonder if it got some bad gas....?

edit: Put the stock coil back in it after putting the plugs back in... no big misfire. CEL is still on, I'll pull it later. gently caress it.

As an update to this - blown headgasket on cylinder 1. ~40k miles on the truck, well taken care of. :lol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I need a female threaded rod that is about 185mm long with m6x1 threads. Basically this: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bazzaz-shift-rods

Is there another name for something like this? I cannot find anything cheaper than that ($25) which seems loving insane for a bit of aluminum.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Safety Dance posted:

Are the threads going in different directions, or the same direction?

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=3301 if different

McMaster sells a part that's got the same direction threads as control linkages, but they're SAE-only. I'd just drop the $25 if I were you.

Well poo poo. Thank you :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Use lube.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm going to be towing a Harbor Freight folding trailer with my 2016 GTI. The height to the top of the receiver on the GTI seems to be 9" and the height to the bottom of the tongue is 17" Does this mean I want a 8" rise hitch? That sounds abnormally tall? For what it's worth, I will be putting a 2003 R6 and a 2007 Tuono 1000 on it, which should be around 750lb.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone want to get in on some armchair QBing?

Headed down the freeway doing 75-ish, hear a single ting and the sounds of debris rapidly being tossed under the car for about 3 seconds, then it goes quiet. Car free revs in gear so I pull off the road.

Clutch feels normal. No power to the rear tires. Can go into gear without depressing the clutch just fine, though there is a very subtle noise when its in gear like something spinning.

I'm guessing pressure plate. Anyone have bets? It's raining now and I will be getting under the car in a few hours. I was hoping it would be the guibo but after thinking about it I don't think I was this lucky.