Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My 2010 Mazda 3 Sport GS is making this terrible squealing metal-on-metal sound in the front driver side wheel well. I took a video. The brakes aren't being applied at all in the video, it's just rocking. It only does this when moving at low speed below 60kph, and it doesn't make any sound when stopped or revved. Steering makes no difference.

I think it's been doing this for like a week, but I'm not the primary driver of the car these days so I'm not sure.

I ask because it's a holiday and I have like 11 hours of driving to do today, what is the worst thing that this could be and how likely is it that I'll be stranded like 400 kilometers in?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Jack it up and take the wheel off and inspect things (take pictures of whatever you find that is making the noise, post them here) before you drive anywhere, because that could either be a heatshield that doesn't matter or you about to buy a steering knuckle, alignment, balljoint(s), CV axle, wheel bearing, rotor, and pads instead of just a wheel bearing.

Oh, and a tow. Don't drive a car that makes noises like that unless you know exactly what's wrong and are prepared to repair it on the spot, because it only gets expensive from there on in. I've seen all the above parts either destroyed or not removable from other parts that got destroyed after someone drove with a failing wheel bearing. Since it was all rusted together we also ended up replacing a half dozen alignment cam bolts and suspension bushings just because they got ruined taking the whole thing apart.
Thanks for the warning. I knew it could be awful.

The sound seems to be gone now and
I can't see anything wrong, though. What could make it intermittent like that? It was doing it constantly for at least two days before.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
How does someone become a better driver?

I'm not really sure how I got here, but I've never hit anyone and I have a pretty good driving record. However, my wife basically drives our car into something once a month and it's becoming very expensive and I worry a lot that she's going to die or hurt someone with the car. She wants to improve and feels bad about her driving, but what do we even do? Do race schools help with regular road driving? At this point the $600+ price tag would almost be a worthwhile investment if it works.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

First thing to do: make sure she's not using her phone while driving. That's GOT to be the biggest problem on the road today. Even the Stig can't hit an apex if he's facebooking.

Well, she's a grown woman and I'm pretty sure she's able to police her own phone use habits. But yeah, neither of us use our phones when driving except as GPSs.

InitialDave posted:

What IOC said, plus I always believe that increasing somone's understanding of how a car works, and what exactly you're asking it to do and what's involved, makes you a better driver.

Also, for all the bumps she's had so far, some debriefing and analysis may help. What did she hit? Why did she hit it? What did she miss as the situation developed that could have helped? Everyone fucks up sometimes, but knowing how and why is what stops it repeating too often.

It's usually while parking. Running into the garage, curbs (loving constantly with the curbs), poles, other cars. She rear-ended someone last year and that was a pretty dear repair as well.

It seems like it's a problem with knowing where the corners of the car are and this may be the car's fault because it has a relatively high beltline and she's very short. I was also thinking autocross might be a cheap way to improve this part of it.