Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yeah. Just get a neoprene washer. Alternatively, you might be able to find a nylon screw.

For the life of me, I can't fathom how the screws that hold it in place are shorting it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

fletcher posted:

I don't have time for this poo poo :(

Include an invoice for your time. Let them know that the longer they gently caress around, the more expensive it's going to get. If they keep waffling, see if you can get A Strongly Worded Letter from a lawyer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

So I'll just drill through the bed and bolt it down with the nut on the other side? I was thinking of going with these.

Depending on how much of a 400lb gorilla you plan to be with ratchet straps, those might be a little on the weak side. If it were me, I might use those or slightly larger, and I'd make a backing plate to go on the bottom side to better distribute the load.

Drill through the bed, hit the exposed metal with some Rustolium, bolt it all together, and then hit that with some more rustolium for good measure.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Yup. Check out Blackstone's website, they get asked this often enough that they basically walk you through it. Post office employees don't have a clue, but an oil sample in that container is completely harmless and there are no laws that restrict transport of something like that.

I had one lady at one post office refuse to take it, so I just went to another post office. That's easier than arguing with government workers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Or drive-behind-a-dump-truck and then no-deductible-auto-glass-claim?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Speaking of Rain-X, can I use it on my Jeep's plastic windows? Will a different product work better at keeping slush from accumulating on the rear window while I drive this winter?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sentras are manufactured in Nissan's Aguascalientes Mexico plant (I _imagine_ those are the ones imported into the US). It could be a customs thing to prevent someone from sneakily loading a Sentra trunk up with coke before it crosses the border.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm looking at a Cayman that typically takes 17 or 18" wheels. I'll need a second set for winter tires, and there's a set of 15s that I could pick up cheap. What's the impact of using a wheel size that different? Is it purely aesthetic or is there more to it?

On a related note, are bolt pattern adapters worth it? I've got a set of 5x100 winter wheels for my Audi, but as is they won't fit the 5x130 Cayman. If they're not a bad idea, any particular recommendations would be appreciated.

You run the risk that your wheels will be too small to fit around your brakes when you start going that small on a car like that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Just get some snow tires mounted on your regular wheels, and swap 'em back in the spring. Half-assing it is for cheap cars.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Will a 5mm offset difference on wheels cause any fitment issues on a NB Miata with big brakes?

These (except not polished) are fitted right now, offset 45:

And I want to get these for winter, offset 40:

No. If I recall correctly, your offsets are -45 and -40, so your winter wheels will actually stick out a skoch more.

e. I mean, assuming your winter wheels fit over your brake calipers, which offset only partially determines.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

2: What's a good ice scraper to buy?

I'm lazy as poo poo, so I go to the auto parts store and buy the first scraper I see that's about 2 feet long and has a brush. They usually cost somewhere around $5. Looks like this: http://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/snowbrush-and-ice-scraper/hopkins-super-deluxe-snowbrush/510073_0_0/

The Wirecutter says this is the best scraper, and if I needed one, I'd probably buy this one: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ice-scraper/

The nerds at Cooltools like this one: http://kk.org/cooltools/fantastic-ice-s/ It's brass, which is nice and all, but it's shorter than I'd like.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Telemicus posted:

It was a DIY job from the previous owner, unfortunately.

The sure-fire solution is ripping it out and throw it far away.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I found some rust. It's a month or two old, tops. I'm in Colorado, so we don't really get rust. What should I do to prevent it spreading? Also, what's the part that covers this spot called? I've never installed a new one because I don't know what to look for.

E: gently caress, tables, sorry. Phone posting.

Windshield trim maybe? Any chance you could take a picture from further away?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

I didn't see a tire/wheel thread, so I thought I could post this here.

I am contemplating one or two (definitely no more than five) winter trips into snowy regions (Yosemite area). But since I live in Santa Barbara, 99% of my trips don't need winter tires. In addition, I don't have enough space in my place to store these winter tires for potential trips next year. Is there a middle ground? Will a tire store allow me to 'rent' the snow tires for a month? Or am I better off buying the tires and then selling them once my trips are over?

If you have decent all-seasons on your car, you should be pretty okay. Maybe get a set of tire chains to get you out of a tough spot.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SlayVus posted:

strobe lights on the inside of the cabin,

Neat!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The passenger's side kidney grille on my mom's blue car 2003 BMW 525i wagon either fell out or was removed ham-fistedly.

Fortunately, we still have it, but all the clips are broken, e.g.

What's a good place to order a replacement part from?

e. huge images fixed

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Voltage posted:

I think I got one for my e46 on either pelicanparts, ecstuning or just rockauto.

Pelicanparts, that's what I was looking for. Rock Auto has some cheesy "chrome" things for like eight bucks a piece. Pelicanparts has the OEM piece.

Does anyone know if replacing the kidney grille is as easy as just pushing the new one into place, or will Mom have to take her car to the shop?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

A friend of mine has a beater Geo Prizm. He says that the car runs like crap (stutters, stumbles, but will idle) when cold and damp, but once it reaches operating temperature, it's fine. He can get it to start by kicking the pedal while cranking until it starts sputtering, then it's fine.

He's already replaced the plugs, wires, and ignition coils. Any ideas what his crapbox needs?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Manufacturers often run wires under carpet too, so you'll have to slap wiremold on that. I imagine some manufacturers slap sound deadening under carpet too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Dissenting opinion: removing your carpet is also Automotive Insanity. Go nuts and tell us what you did.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Also, when you're replacing plug wires, replace them one at a time unless you want to be googling "1998 Buick LeSabre firing order".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Also in this same car, the AC likes to come on whenever the defrost does, or at least the little light on the AC button does.

Tail light issues notwithstanding, your AC should come on with your defrost. The AC dries the air, effectively like wringing the moisture out of a damp towel, and then the heat expands the air's capacity to absorb moisture off of your windshield (like fluffing a towel in the dryer, I guess?).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

How often are you going to go kayaking? Super often, and you might find it useful to get a beater Jeep Cherokee to be your Kayak Truck, in which you could stash your wet gear and not really worry about messing up your nice car. If less than once a week, you might want to not leave your tow hooks installed all the drat time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

FBS posted:

I'm using the factory Whispbar roof rack and Whispbar kayak J-cradle.

If I were you, in that case, I'd get creative with some ratchet straps to hold the kayak taught to the roof rack and secure forwards and backwards.

I mean, yeah, go ahead and leave your tow hooks installed if you want, but there are better solutions.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Anderron Shi posted:

My blue car is making a squeak what could it be?

No but really, my question is: is there a Saab thread? I tried searching and nothing came up but I wanted to make sure.

pfffft only buried four pages back
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3232133

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Alright, final question and I think I'll spend some time figuring out I if I want speed or comfort...

Is there any issue with buying a 3 year old prius?

My current car thoughts
Performance: si sedan, speed3, focus
Comfort or economy:civic LX or se sedan, prius, camary.
I looked at a fit and it's not very nice inside/lookibg

None of the above. Buy this: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5414285027.html

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Well, your volumetric efficiency will be a little low if the head is off in a ditch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Extra posted:

http://car-part.com/ search 2014 Dodge Truck 1500 (1994 and up) Wheel. That looks like the 17x7.

It's a steel wheel. Can't pr0k just hit it with a hammer until it's round again?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

pr0k posted:

One of the guys at the gas station came out with a five pound sledge and whacked it a few times and said "wow, that's a lot stronger than I thought" and gave up.

Yeah, the steel might need some heat to bend back into shape. If you can find a used replacement, that'll be cheaper than getting yours fixed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

What would be a good mileage to have for car from say 2010?

Figure 5 to 12 thousand miles per year. Anything from 30-72,000 miles is perfectly reasonable.

Although, in my experience, 41,328 miles is the best.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

What would you say be the highest limit of being reasonable? Would 90000 be okay?

15K miles per year isn't unreasonable, as long as the price is right and the vehicle was well maintained. You're getting up into the mileage where you need to start worrying about the timing belt in a lot of cars, and that could run you a thousand bucks or so. Keep that in mind when you buy.

What kind of vehicle is it? What is the seller asking? What part of the world are you in?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So would you guys say these cars would be okay in terms of year to mile ratio?

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

I'd take the Sonata over any of the hybrids. Less to go wrong. Get a pre-purchase inspection. I live in Chicago if you want to drag me along one weekend and get my uneducated "duh, this looks okay I guess" opinion.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait so just doing the brakes on the Prius is $2500k?

Is there anything else besides the brakes and battery that is more expensive to fix than the average car?

Are all hybrids like this?

Here, buy this, change the oil whenever you think about it, drive it until it rusts out from under you, and then buy another three for the money you're looking to spend. https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5467775339.html

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm not poking at any cheapskatedness. I'm pointing out that the Cherokee is dead simple, cheap, and has a motor that will be the last thing running after the bombs fall.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mr.Bob posted:

I have a question, can I attach a trailer hitch to a 2006 impala by myself or does it need to be professionally done? I am currently in SW Florida and I need to tow my '76 MGB down from Tennessee. Can this car even do it? The MG is stupid light and tiny. Any advice would be super appreciated.

Your MGB weighs a skoch over a ton, and your Impala is rated to tow roughly half that. It might be okay towing your MGB somewhere in-town, but that'd be really sketchy on the interstate. If I were you, I'd rent a U-Haul or a Penske truck and a car trailer one-way, fly up, and tow back.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mr.Bob posted:

Thanks for the reply! So does that mean when I have had some of my obese friends in the car and we went on a road trip it was sketchy? They were probably around seven hundred pounds combined.

Javid posted:

Tow weight is different from passenger weight. All that weight isn't entirely bearing on the rear of the frame, for one.

This. Even if you were pulling a trailer with your mom your obese friends in it, a quick Google search tells me your Impala is rated to tow 1000 lbs, so you could probably fit another obese friend in the trailer.

Tow weight isn't a hard and fast "your car will snap in half" measurement. It takes into account your transmission and your brakes and figures that, given an ideally loaded trailer in good condition and decent road conditions, you would be able to control the car. If you know what you're doing and you drive carefully, you can exceed maximum towing weight by a little bit without breaking anything. More-than-doubling your max tow weight for what's probably going to be at least 15 hours on the interstate isn't a good plan. You'll cook your brakes, toast your transmission, and squish the everliving gently caress out of your rear suspension if you manage to avoid rear-ending a family of twelve near Gainesville.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Spazz posted:

I got the recall notice from Ford (16S03) about the airbag and metal fragments for my 06 Ranger. However, my truck had both airbags deploy after a front end collision while going under 15mph in 2010. Think this was the original cause?

Anyway, I'm just figuring out if I need to get this serviced or not since they've already been replaced.

Probably yes, given that they probably threw replacement Takata airbags in your Ranger.

Sharzak posted:

Can somebody weigh in and tell me if I'm getting hosed here?

You bought an Audi, so yes.

Seriously though, it's entirely possible you're not getting screwed. It's as if you went into the hospital for a bruise and the doctor discovered you were diabetic: he didn't cause your diabetes, he just uncovered an underlying condition.

On the other hand, you're dealing with the service writer from a dealership. Get the full story tomorrow (take notes), and, if you want, find an independent Audi mechanic to take a look at your A4. The independent mechanic might be able to tell you what, if anything, is attributable back to the Audi mechanics in case you need a legal nastygram.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I tried to think of a funny AI car-related way to answer this, but instead here is my real answer. Go to a gun range that rents and try different pistols. Try different frame sizes and different calibers. Don't be afraid to try .380ACP or 9mm just because some macho dude said they don't have enough "stopping power". Also, shoot a bunch through a .22LR pistol to migrate your long gun fundamentals to a pistol. You can get familiar and learn control over any firearm, assuming you do not have a degenerative muscle condition.

That, and pistol caliber carbines are amazing and you should absolutely get one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pretty good price and mileage. See what condition it's in.

get a jeeeep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That said, most of the bluetooth OBDII readers only have the pins required to read the basic data from your OBDII port, and don't present an attack vector.