Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I have a 2001 Dodge stratus V6 (2.7 liter I believe) and today I noticed that the heat is blowing cold air. Two days ago I had to refill the coolant as it was very low (check engine came on and coolant began to boil after 20 minutes), but I don't think there is a leak as I've been keeping an eye on coolant levels since and it's been steady. I haven't used the heat much since coolant was low but it worked fine before. I'm going to assume these two issues are related somehow. Does this sound like an air bubble? If so, do I just run it until it passes and for how long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

It's worrying that coolant was that low, but isn't leaking anywhere. It's going somewhere, so hopefully not past the headgasket into the combustion chamber. Blowing much steam out the tailpipe? Regardless, do you have enough coolant in there now? If it's all gone somewhere, the heater won't work, for sure.

If you've still got enough, then yeah it could be just an air bubble. I'm not sure where the highest point in the cooling system is on those, but generally if you have the nose up in the air so the radiator is at the top, and run it (from cold) with the radiator cap off and the heat on, the bubble will work its way out. But often, specific cars will have their own special procedure because of some design peculiarity.

It worries me as well so I'm keeping an eye on it. As much as I hate admit it though, it's possible it was low from stupidity and neglect on my part as I have never checked it myself. The exhaust doesn't smell sweet and the amount of steam doesn't strike me as odd, but it's been 20 degrees here for the past month so most times there is something visible coming from the tailpipe. It seems to run fine too. Yes, the coolant is just below the full mark when cold. As a matter of fact I remember using the heat yesterday and it seemed to work fine.

If this doesn't clear up on my ride home I'll find a hill and five those steps a shot.

a dingus fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 12, 2015

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Should I bother with antique car insurance if I'm going to drive to work once in a while? I don't want to screw myself, especially if I dump a bunch of money into my car. I have GEICO and was going to add my '72 beetle to my policy but now sure which route I should go.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am trying to use a multimeter tach to measure the idle speed of a 1cyl bike but the multimeter doesnt have a 1cyl option, only 3cyl, 4, 6, 8. Can I use the 4 cyl option and just multiply the number by 4?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

It depends on what the multimeter is reading and how your ignition system is configured. Is the meter hooked onto a single spark plug lead? Does the motorcycle have a wasted spark system?

I'd say just put it in 4cyl mode and see if the numbers make any sense. You should have an idea of whether it's idling at closer to 1000 RPM or 2000 RPM, for instance, and if the number seems wrong just halve or double it.

I didn't know wasted spark was a thing... I'm not sure though. The bike is a Honda ct90, so pretty basic 4 stroke. It would make most sense to multiply the number by 4.

I'm having trouble getting the bike to run at idle speed and multiplying by 4 means the bike runs nice at 1800-2000rpm but the nominal idle speed according to the shop manual is 1300. I think it could have something to do with the throttle slide pin.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just googled it and it's called a vibrating tachometer? And some use reeds for measurement. That's nutty. I'll probably stop being anal and just work through the whole thing by ear. The motor siblings with some lawnmower engines.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

It certainly could, if for some reason the spark pickup/points/etc ran off the crank instead of the camshaft. Maybe there's an engine like that out there somewhere?

That engine's ignition runs off the camshaft, so it's not a wasted spark. If it won't idle at the lower speed, your pilot jet is probably clogged. When was the last time you flushed the carburetors out, and how long has it been sitting around?

I think there was some garbage in the main jet where the throttle pin sits and inside the mixture screw holes. I blew both of them out and it seems to run better although I don't want to say perfect, yet. It was idling ok but once I took it around the block and really reved it out a little it seemed to run smoothly at a normal idle speed.

The bike is new to me and although the PO had a garage full of bikes & was some sort of Ford mechanic for a while I don't trust anything until Ive gone through it all.

Tunicate posted:

Have you tried using a phone audio spectometer app? In principle there should be a frequency spike at the RPM

This is a good idea that I would have never thought of.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I done gone hosed up and totally stripped the spark plug threads in a small engine (honda CT90). I cross threaded it and just kept tightening it like a total moron until it started getting loose again. Is there anything I can do to save it, or do I need to buy a new head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Given that a CT90 has the same engine as the Super Cub, the highest-selling motor vehicle in history, I bet there are also zillions of new aftermarket heads available for cheap online.

Yep this is what I was thinking if I couldn't helicoil it at home or something. Thankfully it looks fairly easy to remove and replacements are like $50 - $100. But drat am I annoyed with myself making such a dumb mistake! Thanks all!