Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Has anyone here had a car with an accurate fuel gauge?

(I.e. the readings other than 'full' being correct)

My Peugeot 406 seems to be reasonably accurate, at least I'm pretty much at the expected mileage for the entire sweep of the gauge. I've run it down to just barely below empty once, and I could put in ~2 liters less than the stated capacity when I filled up again.

The coolant and oil temp gauges also seem to not just be glorified idiot lights, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If in doubt, give it a good wash and hit it with a claybar. They could just be hard water spots, depending on the water in your area.

If it really is a thick-rear end layer of wax coming off, you should probably wash it off completely (using dish soap instead of car shampoo, to eat the wax) and re-wax it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Memento posted:

Someone tell me more about this beautiful bastard. Saw it on the way home this afternoon and managed to snap a quick picture. Click for huge.

It's a Volvo 262C. Styled by Bertone and built in Italy, unfortunately it's saddled by the shittastic PRV V6.

However, a V8 swap into one would be totally rad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was rummaging around under the hood, trying to identify the cause of the rattly/resonance-y sound my Peugeot 406 (2.2L EW12J4) makes at ~1900 RPM, when I noticed this hose looking a bit worse for wear.

Which hose is this, in the middle of the picture? It seems to be going to the air filter box, but I'm not 100% sure. Some kind of ventilation? I assume it's not the PCV hose, as everything around it is completely dry and devoid of oil etc.

(Click for embiggening)

Since there is no hose clamp on it, I assume it isn't vital to performance or economy or anything of that nature. But I would still love to know what it is :-)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 8, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

shabbat goy posted:

What's the loudest horn I can get to run off 12V without requiring an air compressor? Mine is wimpy and I luv 2 honk.

Stebel Nautilus or a set of high/low Stebel Magnums.

Plus loudness aside, the tone from the Nautilus is great. I have heard of reliability issues, though.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii87iO6JboA

The magnums sound great as well, and I thoroughly enjoyed having a set on my Suzuki Bandit. They've got that "I'm a very large and very fast car, get out of my way" sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovYdEc2mDzk

Of course, we all know there is only one correct choice of horn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEnK4Hywj2k

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 11, 2016