Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I did rear shocks on my mk4 golf and it was really easy.

Seconding only replacing them if they go bad. They're not a scheduled replacement item imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

melon cat posted:

Back to the 2007 Corolla. Any tips for removing a seized, rusty as poo poo bolt from my bushing clamp in this cramped space so I can replace my sway bar bushing? This space is so small and doesn't have enough clearance for any of my tools to fit.

I've tried a box end ratchet- no dice as it doesn't grip onto the rusted/rounded bolt. Regular ratchet doesn't have enough clearance due to the cramped space and brake lines. Flex head ratchet doesn't even come close to fitting, either. I even tried needle nose pliers but that rust won't budge. Bathed it in PB blaster for days, too. I tried swearing at it for over an hour but that doesn't seem to be helping. Hoping to avoid having to drop the subframe as I don't have much space beneath my vehicle to begin with.

Ever heard of Griplock Ties? :smug:

Can you get a nut splitter on there?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

melon cat posted:

Not likely. The clamp design doesn't leave much space where the bolt head meets the "hump" on the clamp. And nut splitter heads look pretty thick/fat. But can you even use a nut splitter on a bolt head?

Sorry I'm kind of a noob when it to bolt types. There's a picture linked above to the type of bolt that lives there. That pic is from the passenger side bushing clamp which I was barely able to extract.

I'm sorry I didn't look properly and thought it was a nut.

Hmm in this case I'd probably zip off the entire bracket so you can remove the rubber and move the arm out of the way to give more access from the right side. Then you might get locking pliers on there or something. Have a new bracket ready to install of course.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well gently caress me, there is no way to get the rusted pieces of the anti-rattle clip, or whatever it is, out of there:

The little "nubs" of the clip stick out just too far to get a drill bit to stay aligned, it just slides off and bites into the soft caliper, but not far enough out to really get any sort of grip with pliers.

Tried to punch it out, but I don't think the holes go all the way through:

I guess technically I don't need them, they are just for noise reduction, but searched around and read a couple posts where people said it's madness to drive around without them.

Well, you can dissolve steel with alum and that shouldn't affect the aluminum calipers. Gonna take a few days though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Minto Took posted:

Since oil changes can go for 5000 miles, did the time before oil changes get updated as well (3 months being what I remember it used to be)?

I think three months was when people were buying their gas from a pharmacy and oil was made from whale drippings.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

If my car seems to get slightly bogged down when starting, (75k miles) that’s probably a sign that the battery is starting to go, right?

For batteries the mileage isn't as important as the age is and the conditions they've been in.

How old is it? What climate do you live in?

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 19, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Real Amethyst posted:

2016 euro civic 1.4L i-vtec 104HP petrol.

I mean red.

104? Phwoar mate that's a racecar. My 1.4 golf only makes 75.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

probably filled in March? it's probably less than half a tank.

maybe I can limp it to the gas station once I can get it started again, I was hoping to avoid buying a gas can.

I drive a bifuel car (gasoline & LPG) so the gasoline rarely gets used, it only starts on it and switches to lpg when the car is up to temperature.

I only fill up the gasoline maybe twice a year or so, and only halfway. As a result I drive around on months old gasoline on regular basis.

It's fine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well mine is almost 20 years old. Most small engines these days have turbo's and variable everything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Is there an AI Discord server? I have a 2003 cop car with a bad ECU (I assume, replaced all the plugs and coils to no effect, it was an acting V6 when I last drove it 3 years ago.) I can now afford to fix it. Needs a battery, brain box, new gas, anything I'm missing? Do I need the paperwork to renew the long-lapsed Texas registration, of can they look it up from the license plate?

No offense but sounds like it's missing a proper diagnosis before swapping the ECU.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Charles posted:

I think there are a few cars that are actually known to. The good news is a Crown Vic ECU shouldn't be expensive, there have to be tons of them.

They can and do fail sometimes but the diagnostic process of "swapped the coils and plugs welp must be the ECU" leaves a lot to be desired.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah you tap the starter with some implement. A hammer is canonical but anything works, like a wrench.

All you're trying to do is to move the contacts around a little bit to move past a bad spot.

Problem is that this is one of those tricks that people have heard of but they don't actually understand how it works and they just start wailing on it with a 5 pounder or whatever which absolutely destroys the starter.

I mean, it's a good trick to get you out of a jam when you're in the sticks and your car won't start but once it starts doing that you want to replace that thing asap.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 22, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

smoobles posted:

I had a 2004 Honda Element sitting in my driveway for 3 years (out of sight out of mind) and finally mustered the enthusiasm to sell it.

I took it in for inspection (Texas) and they told me since the battery was dead for so long, the computer did not save any recent data, and therefore it can't pass inspection.

He said the solution is to drive the car 100 miles.

I am hesitant to drive this car 100 miles because the registration is 3 years out of date, and the car is an unsafe pile of poo poo that I'm trying to offload to CarMax anyway.

Is this guy for real, or is there something else I should do?

Yep that's right. The computer keeps track of certain variables and checks if they're in spec for emissions. Those are called readiness monitors and you need a full drive cycle where the car gets up to temperature properly, drive at different loads and RPM's and whatnot to have them to be set properly. I don't know about having to drive 100 miles, I guess that's one of those better safe than sorry numbers mechanics like to throw out because there's a lot of variables involved and while 20 miles might do it might also not and it'll only piss off your customer and waste everybody's time by having them drive for 20 miles come back and it's still not ready.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well at least it's not a plastic oil pan like some cars have now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If the Camry isn't approved then how did you get it? :thunk:

I would just call around a few places that sell tow hooks and do installs. It's probably too new.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kastein posted:

I always replace the valve cores right before evacuation because the cores only keep pressure in, not vacuum. So if you evacuate, replace cores, then evacuate again, you are basically letting a full system worth of outside air and humidity in for no reason. Unless you have one of those nifty core replacement tools that allows you to do it without opening the system, of course, but I don't own one of those for r134a ports, only r410a.

idgi, what else are you supposed to do when you don't have one of those tools other than evacuate first before replacing? Surely not venting to the atmosphere?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bro all of us here in Europe triple wax the clamps on our intakes. Please be considerate of the fact that it's the only metal part left on a VW engine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chromed lug nuts often swell up so you need a loose fitting socket for those anyway.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

I am somehow having a lot of trouble finding the part I need, a wire harness/connector to my 2008 Mazda 3S low beam.

This is what it should look like:

I've tried two places so far, AutoZone and RockAuto, both sent me the wrong part despite claiming it was a wire harness that would fit. So I'm turning here before I try a third time.
This is the one AutoZone and Advance Auto want to sell me:
https://www.autozone.com/electrical...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lousy Dorman part that doesn't fit, the socket is too narrow for the terminals coming off the headlight assembly. The Rockauto part had the same problem.

The problem seems to be that the harnesses they've sent do, technically, fit the H7 bulb that the car uses...but this car uses a little socket thingy to hold the bulb in place, and for some reason, the terminals that come off of that socket are slightly wider than a standard H7 bulb.
This is the socket that goes between the blub and wire harness:

So can does anyone know a place that actually has a wire harness to fit into that low beam socket I'm a 2008 3s?

Find a junkyard that has one and cut the bits out you need? Make sure to leave plenty of pigtail for splicing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Charles posted:

Do you guys use a mylar bag for proximity keys?

Tin cookie box.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Silicone paste is good for slide pins, but not the other parts of a brake setup,

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bad plugs don't make it up and quit all of the sudden without making the car run like rear end for a while first. They certainly don't magically start working again.

Fuel gauge... Well you can probably remember when the last time you filled it up right? Is it plausible you ran out of gas due to a bad gauge? You drove it for 8 miles afterwards so there must have been some gas left. (A broken gauge doesn't make the car cut out it just makes you forget to fill up and run out)

Bad alternator: Was the car doing weird electrical things before it cut out? (Dim lights, no fan, radio cutting out, power windows not working, etc.)
Would you be able to crank the car if the battery had been run flat due to a bad alt?

So just run through all these options in your mind like this and try to figure out if any of them makes sense given the circumstances.

You just need to have the issue diagnosed properly. It could be anything, fuel pump issue, ignition switch, ECU issue, distributor/coils, bad ground, etc, etc. Any number of things. So you just need a proper diagnosis.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

all mechanics charge for a diagnostic check? no, this is not an online one, but for them to actually see why the maintenance needed light is on and you're having issues in general.

Yes all mechanics charge a diagnostic fee. Usually it's a flat fee for say an hour of labor. It can vary wildly how long a diag takes, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes several hours, or anything in between.

Remember that you're paying an expert (well, you hope) whose spent years of their life building experience and training. That kind of knowledge isn't free nor should it be free. Also they have to invest in all kinds of special tools, diagnostic equipment, software, access to service information from manufacturers (expensive subscriptions), etc.

If there are any shops that don't charge a diagnostic fee, they still charge you by having higher hourly rates and more markup on parts. Or they don't do diagnosis properly and just shotgun parts which ends up costing you even more.

e: if it was just the service light being on because it needs an oil change then yeah you wouldn't really charge a diagnostic charge for that because it's trivial and you'd make your money on the oil change, but I presume in this case your diag charge is for the ignition switch issue.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 11, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know poo poo all about what you're saying. IE do I take this back to the mechanic or can I youtube this poo poo and not break something worse?

Take it back. You paid for a proper repair.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BigRoman posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

I'm poor and purchasing my first new car. I have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to be ripped off.

:words:

Why not get a used car that's only a couple of years old? New cars lose half their value the moment you drive them off the lot. Why not take advantage of that and get a good, young, used car?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Have you actually priced a used car recently? One to two year old used cars are cheaper than new, but not by much depending on the car. "Losing half the value as soon as you drive it off the lot" hasn't been true in at least my entire adult life, if not longer.

I do agree that the most attractive competitors to a new Accent are 1-2 year old cars like a Civic or Mazda3, and it would be worth the OP's time trying some of those out too. I would expect a similar total transaction price, and possibly a slightly higher interest rate.

Ok that's fair. I'm not too familiar with the US market and was reasoning from my own market where that still holds true (mostly due to a ridiculous luxury tax on vehicles driving prices up). 16-17 grand sticker price on a new car on the lot is a dream for me lol.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Micromancer posted:

Im 6 foot 290 lbs. The ridge on the side of the seat is awkward getting in, but it's still easier than my Scion was. Once inside, I do not feel cramped other than the seat digs into my hips a tad.

Also: It's too late to prevent it now

Did you lose weight since making those famous pictures? Looking good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Those aftermarket remote start thingies are a surefire way to get intermittent electrical issues in your ignition circuit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DildenAnders posted:

I'm really going to live up to the "Stupid" part of this threads name, but is it possible/easy to convert an electric throttle cable back to a real one? I have a 2006 Mazda 3 that appears to have drive by wire (it says it in some of the dealership materials) and it's honestly one of the biggest things I hate about the car. If it was an option for this car, would that mean it's relatively simple to switch to a regular throttle cable, or would I have to mess with stuff above my pay grade to get it to work (like ECU stuff)?

Yeahhh um not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, but I think you're just imaging things. Like you don't even really know it has e-throttle you just read it in some documents.

E-throttle is absolutely fine, it's better than cable actually in a lot of ways.

If your car does havepoor throttle response or another drivability issue it's more than likely it's not because it's e-throttle, but because the throttle body is fouled and sticking, or you have a vacuum leak, or your spark plugs are bad, or your injectors might be clogged, etc.

Any number of things that should be checked first before coming to the conclusion that you need to convert to cable throttle.

Next you'll tell us you want to convert it to carburetor....

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

C-Euro posted:

The start button is completely unresponsive. I'll have to check the manual again, but the way it's written mentions that the start button should be flashing amber to indicate that the battery is dead and a jump is needed. However, I'm not seeing any response from that button.

Charge it for a bit before trying.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is basic stuff, nothing weird going on. My suggestion would be to take the battery out and put it on a charger overnight. If that's not an option prepare to charge the battery for several minutes with the jumping car revved up a bit to charge the battery before you try anything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jippa posted:

I have a 2002 vw golf. In my manual it says I have to use the specific vw branded "g12" antifreeze. Is this a legit thing or are they just trying to sell me it. I have some "british standard" stuff.

Any G12, G12+, G12++, G13, etc coolant will work just fine.

Just get "the pink stuff for VW" at your local Halfords or whatever. I would recommend G12++ over G13 because mixing them isn't exactly ideal but it can't really hurt either. But you really don't need VW branded stuff.

Source: until recently I was a fellow 2002 VW Golf owner.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Get one of the galvanized ones idk which ones are and aren't but the older ones rust like they're made of used steel wool glued together.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Those are some sick rims too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

I've never experienced that phrase without withering irony I don't know what to do

I jest. Those do look really nice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

What good is a stolen front license plate? Or is it just jackassery?

You can use it to do crimes with a stolen car

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Smells like a bad ground honestly. When you turn on the lights the power tries to find another route to negative and backfeeds into other circuits and it causes all kinds of problems.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm having a hell of a time finding the part number for this missing bolt on my 2008 Miata.

The the point I'm considering just going to loving McMaster-Carr lol

E: that's the fuel filler door trim in case it isn't obvious

Worst case you get six of a slightly different type of you can't get one that looks the same

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

opengl128 posted:

Isn't super sturdy double stick tape the standard for plate mounting in europe?

Nope.

PainterofCrap posted:

Aren't most of the European/UK plates plastic now? The one I have is (I have older metal Swiss plates also, but they're from the early 70s)

Nope.

The standard is, afaik, a plate-holder that screws onto the car that has about a metric bazillion of screw holes for different cars, and it holds a plate which is of a standardized size across the EU. The plate is usually stamped metal.

The UK uses plastic ones I think. Maybe other European countries use plastic as well but from my experience Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Poland, etc all use metal plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Milwaukee is good and you can't use them as a drill.