Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Where my Honda or Acura people at.

What sparkplugs are best for a 3.2 tl. Denso or Bosch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Calling all Jeep electric gurus!

got a 05 cherokee with the 4.7 thats giving me a headache. The whole car is a nightmare with a dodgy past. It looks like it was in a major front end accident since it has new front body panels poorly aligned, a junk yard engine cradle, a junk yard engine etc...

Anyway Came in with a dead/bad battery. So I put one in. Came in 5 days later with a no start. Customer didnt want to pay any diag and insisted it was the starter. After tapping on the starter it fired up so I shrugged and threw one in. Now its back today. Doing the same poo poo as in it clicks over and has a no start. Jumping the starter relay proves that the starter turns just fine. Check codes and it has a bunch of transmission codes including a reverse solenoid. I randomly turn the key and it fires up. What the gently caress. Ok its running in park. The cluster selector says reverse and my reverse lights are on. Try moving through the gears they seam to activate although it clunks going into reverse. Turn car off, wont start just clicks. If i try starting the car in drive or reverse it wont click over but in park and neutral it will. Seams normal. Im also getting two separate clicks between ignition on and turning the key all the way. Half way betwen ignition and all the way turned to the right, there is a click from the smart junction box in the drivers kick panel and then you hear the starter relay under the hood.

At this point im getting pissed since there is no diag at all on this car but yet this is still all my fault somehow.

Anyone here experience something similar?

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 3, 2016

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Wife and I are planning our trip to Italy, what awesome car stuff should I plan the trip around?
Modena obviously
Advice.
If your renting a car buy whatever insurance they offer and take pictures of any previous damage before you leave. They tried saying we owed 3000 dollars and eventually Visa had our back.
Rent a small car obviously.
People speed like mad on the autostrada, towns and poo poo are easy to get lost in. Get ready to dodge coaches full of tourists while suicidal mopeds are blasting between you and the random pedestrian who suddenly decided to cross in front of you.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I forgot to ad the amalfi coast , just south of naples , has some amazing driving roads.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Slavvy posted:

Ford corporate should have a 'good will' fund specifically for cases like this. You could argue that the chain begun stretching before the warranty period expired; if you make enough noise and complain to enough people they'll probably at the very least meet you halfway and pay for the parts but not labour.

E: basically you need to be the worst, noisiest, cuntiest customer imaginable and you'll probably come out of this pretty good.

They have what's called campaigns. There not exactly recalls but basically know they are at fault but don't do poo poo until somebody really throws a fit in the middle of the show room .

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Takes No Damage posted:

I've got a 2015 Honda Fit (standard model, 5" radio screen), and while I'm pretty satisfied with the car itself the radio, specifically the USB interface, is dogshit.

1) It doesn't respect directory structure, it just takes every folder it finds that contains music files and puts it in a big list.
2) It lists these folders in a seemingly random order. Not alphabetical, not chronological, it's like it re-reads the memory stick every time I plug it in, but in a random order or something.
3) Just noticed today it's also apparently an 8-bit system because it can't read more than 255 files in a single folder...
4) It doesn't even scroll the song titles when they're too long, just displays the first X characters and that's all you get.

So I'm looking around for a replacement I can install to fix all that, but I've never replaced a car radio before so I had a few questions:

Any general recommendations for 5" screens that can read MP3 tags/album art and display it while a file plays?
Is there a good resource online to search by make/model for compatible radios? So far everything I'm seeing on crutchfield.com is text-only displays.
What are the chances I'll be able to keep my steering wheel controls? Not a deal-breaker but would be convenient.
If I do end up getting a replacement I'd probably take it somewhere to have it professionally installed, worth it?

H110Hawk posted:

1) Pretty common. What happens if you make playlists? Humor me.
2) Is it random or deterministic based on FS DENTRY order on the stick? As in, every time you plug it in without having made any changes to the stick it shows up in the same order, but if you do anything to the stick it picks a new, potentially different order?

You're almost certainly going to be taking a step backwards replacing that head unit without a considerable monetary investment, if something even exists on the market.

Coming in late but im gonna wager a real good guess that a lot of poo poo goes through that head unit you dont wanna gently caress with including security immobilizers and quite possibly poo poo that will void your warranty real fast.
Much cheaper to just Aux in or bluetooth (if you can) with an iphone or something.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 17, 2016

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Sir Tonk posted:

Quick question for y'all about getting a used car inspected before purchasing.

I'm looking to get a 2011 CTS wagon with about 75k miles and I want to get it checked out very thoroughly. The place I normally use focuses on classic cars, so they won't be much help with a modern Cadillac. Is it best to pay a well-regarded local dealership to look at it, or would an independent shop be a better bet? I'm in Houston, so we've got a number of choices on either side. I've never really dealt with dealership service departments and all I've ever heard is the same horror stories everyone has heard, but I would also think that they would have the best idea how to find all the problems with a modern car they already sell.

Chain stores like a Firestone or similar have a used car inspection you can purchase where they do a 100 point inspection. My shop is a chain store and we do them as well. It's an easy 60 bucks to add to my daily sales and I'm not worried about selling you anything so I just write everything I see take you out to the shop walk you through it at face value. I never answer questions about it being a good deal or not unless it's an obvious lemon or has been in an accident.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 27, 2017

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Michael Scott posted:

Why not? Mechanics given their experience are usually keen at identifying a car's value and future ownership costs so I do like asking when I have an inspection what they think of a certain price.

I think most cars especially common modern city run arounds are garbage. If your set on a specific car to the point your paying 60 bucks for me to inspect it. Do you really want me telling you like, ya mechanically its not in terrible shape. But its a Chrysler and will fall apart eventually. When? I cant tell you.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 27, 2017

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
You should've marked how the position of the strut on the spindle. Also did the new ones come with an elongated lower bolt hole? I'm guessing your camber is way out. They will probably try to sell you a camber bolt .

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Calling body guys! best off the shelf remedies for light scratches? Is it all snake oil? Just got some mothers scratch remover doesn't seam to be working

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Can u but a trickle charger in it?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Pham Nuwen posted:

My friend is pulling the heads off his 2001 Chevrolet Impala (white). It's a V6 engine and we've had a bitch of a time with everything to do with the exhaust system. When he puts it all back together, will it hurt anything to leave off those stupid little shrouds that go over the exhaust manifolds?

i wouldn't they do serve a purpose. especially the ones on the back side above the convertor. This is also where you melt the power steering line on the back side if you don't put it together right.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Pham Nuwen posted:

drat, well, I'll tell him to put it all back together properly and not slack. Those little shrouds are a real pain in the cock, though.

Ive used self tapper screws with some washers if the original fasteners are poo poo.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Thief posted:

The part that connects to it shattered off, like the two little holes at the end that the cap goes in. Not sure what it's actually called.

The yoke

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I'm guessing there gonna say replace the panel since it's so close to the line of the car and looks like it's dented .

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Mister Fister posted:

My nephew's 2002 camry xle (2.4L engine) wouldn't start up, he called AAA thinking it was a dead battery, but it wasn't. The AAA tower knocked on his starter 3 times with a hammer and was able to start the car. Based on this, does he need to change the starter? First and only time it has happened...

I'd bet heavy on it needing a starter but u can check if the battery terminals are loose check condition of the possitive and negative cables and make sure they are making good connections with minimal corrosion to the starter and the body of the car respectfully.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

The Ferret King posted:

Preparing to do my first ever brake service on my 2007 Nissan Altima. I have some basic tools already but here's the shopping list I came up with from AutoZone. Anything obvious missing?

I'm a little late to brake chat but i didn't see it mentioned. I like taking a wire brush to the caliper brackets when you take the old hardware out and clean the rust out real well. Also taking the old slides out and cleaning the old grease off really well. And regreasing them.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Go to the dealer and get a key cut. You will need the title and id with u. Tell them u don't want it programed. Do some home work and find a mom and pop shop that can program your key. My guy does it for 50 bucks.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

joepinetree posted:

I have a 2012 nissan altima and it has started making noises at low RPM. A mechanic I trust said it is the CVT (transmission) and that Nissan even extended its warranty on it given how many problems they were having. Because I drive a lot, my car is past the 120k miles extended warranty for the CVT. He suggested taking my car to the dealership and then essentially bugging them until they at least provide parts since the fact that they extended the warranty is indication of a problem there. So a couple of stupid questions: anyone ever have any luck in a situation like this (of getting the dealership to cover at least partial costs after a similar situation)? And would I be better off calling someone at corporate nissan directly?

Googling the issue indicates that Nissan simply stated that they would "work to reduce the cost of replacing CVTs for cars past warranty," but no follow ups.

Have you tried finding any specific technical service bullitans about it? Have u done all the schedualed maintenence at appropriate intervalls? If they don't have any official TSBs and u have done all if any schedualed mainenence pertaining to the cvt, with proof, u can go and bitch and they might hook u up. Car companies often have what they call "campains" that fall in a grey area between issuing a recall and admitting they have a problem. Campains are reserved for people who come in and make a scene in the service department

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 25, 2017

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Accent dude should just get a motorcycle trailer.

joepinetree posted:

Thanks. There seems to be no TSBs about it. Dealership guy said I could try calling Nissan directly.

Bigger problems right now, though. I got out of the car at the dealership, spoke to their service agent, he went and looked at the mileage and came back. As we both went back to the car, the open door warning wouldn't go away, all the warning lights on the panel kept flashing, radio wouldn't turn on, and ignition button wouldn't do anything to turn it on or off. They had to push the car into the bay, and the service agent claimed to never have seen anything like it. He also was supposed to call me back today and didn't. Part of me is suspicious of the issue, but I have no proof that the guy did anything in the 5 minutes he was alone with the car. I guess i'll find out on monday that besides a bad transmission i might have to go to bat for whatever electric component went haywire.

joepinetree posted:

Thanks. There seems to be no TSBs about it. Dealership guy said I could try calling Nissan directly.

Bigger problems right now, though. I got out of the car at the dealership, spoke to their service agent, he went and looked at the mileage and came back. As we both went back to the car, the open door warning wouldn't go away, all the warning lights on the panel kept flashing, radio wouldn't turn on, and ignition button wouldn't do anything to turn it on or off. They had to push the car into the bay, and the service agent claimed to never have seen anything like it. He also was supposed to call me back today and didn't. Part of me is suspicious of the issue, but I have no proof that the guy did anything in the 5 minutes he was alone with the car. I guess i'll find out on monday that besides a bad transmission i might have to go to bat for whatever electric component went haywire.
That's crazy! You might have hit the jack pot.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Suspect Bucket posted:

That would be awesome if I had the tow package. I'll have to look into that.

See what u haul will charge for a hitch. Otherwise buy your own (you will need a class 2 hitch) and find a shop to throw it in. My shop charges like 150 to 250 depending on how complicated the job is.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

I can get more diagrams but need to know what you need.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 27, 2017

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Someone can prove me wrong but I thought bright colored cars attract higher insurance. (It is a sick color tho) I'm not a fan of the directional wheels but that's just my opinion. All in all solid car. Have yet to see one in my shop for anything other than an oil change.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I know for a fact red at least in WI used to cost more than white.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ToastyNark posted:

2017 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins

So, I traded in my 2009 Tacoma which never had an engine problem for a shiny new 2017 Ram 2500 w/ the 6.7 L Cummins.

Drove it all the way home, great ride, steering is nice, etc. etc. Turned it on this afternoon to leave the job and the check engine light is on after only 90 miles. The only things I've done with this truck:

-Used the remote start feature
-Filled the tank with diesel from a Speedway
-Opened the hood to look around
-Drove responsibly at under 60mph on country roads, including up two decent inclines

I tried doing the "turn the key to the run position 3x" trick to try and get it to display an error code but I guess this doesn't work on this model year because I can't get it to show any such code.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Bet its an evap code. Did you tighten your gas cap all the way?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

TheReverend posted:

Can anyone tell me when to change the ATF on a 2010 Prius? The maintenance schedule says nothing.....

I don't think it's supposed to be changed.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Breakfast Feud posted:

I am by no means an authority but I think you're rushing to junk the ECU way, way too quick here. Honestly maybe start a thread? My thought process for this would be as follows:

1. Find the source of the buzzing. Repair issue. If all other problems persist...

2. Disassemble anything you have re assembled and undo any wiring you have done. See if car reacts normally now. Trace and check all wires you came close to.

Anyway, you're going to need a multimeter and even a cheap one will do. To find the source of the buzzing I would reinsert the battery and then slowly pull the fuses one by one from the engine bay. Just work in rows. If that doesn't work move onto the fuses inside the cabin leaving the engine bay fuses out for now. I'm willing to bet there will be a point that the buzzing will stop once a particular fuse is pulled. Reinsert all the fuses except for the culprit, one by one, listening to see if the buzzing restarts at some point just to ensure the problem is limited to one circuit.

Obviously you're using your owners manual with the fusebox diagrams for this so you'll know what value fuse goes where, and you'll know where to start looking for the problem. You'll likely need some sort of wiring diagram to set you on the right track in your search.

I'm with this guy. Ecus will rarely fail on their own. Sounds like it's in limp mode . Have u tried doing a hard reset where u disconnect the battery and connect the leads together with a aligator clamp or something and leaving it alone for 10 min or so. The staying on without the key thing is weird I would suspect the ignition switch.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Right, but isn't that like my BMW's ~~lifetime~~ ATF, where it lasts the lifetime of the transmission which would be extended by, you know, changing the fluid? Or does the Prius have a sealed transmission or something hip?

Hmmm surfing some prius sites I'm getting changing it at 120k spill and fill syle. looks like the fill hole is a bitch to get to. I can check a more credible source at work tomarrow. That said in 6 years of wrenching I have never seen a Prius get a Trans fluid service in any of the shops I've been at.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Tire chat : just find a discount tire nearest you and barter with em. See if there are any buy 3 get 1 free deals.

Prius cvt chat : just verified on all data cvt fluid should be changed at 120k.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

curiosity hosed me up posted:

I just bought a 2005 ford crown victoria (78,000 miles). Check engine light turned on today code P0430 - catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 2). I don't know poo poo about cars but a google search tells me that issues in this area are very expensive. I do not live in a state with emissions tests. Is this something i need to have fixed?

Not to scare u
Crown vice are nitrous for misfires. Is it a possibility it was missfireing it's rear end off for a while and then they threw a coil in there to fix the misfire before selling it and the convertor is already melted down?

Pro tip. If u have a laser thermometer you can see if there is a drastic temperature increase between the beginning of the convertor and the end. If it's heating up its working. If it's hot as hell at the begining and way cooler afterwards it's plugged.

If it seams to be working then you should take it to a shop and shell out some diagnostic money to see if your 02s are working and if there are any other pending or history codes.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
A very recent valve cover gasket job with very liberal use of sillicone liquid gasket. It's probably ok?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Woops

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

IronDoge posted:

I'm soon going to be transitioning from a 170 hp FWD car to a 373 hp RWD. Anybody got any driving tips they would like to share? I've done some reading and watched a couple videos in order to not end up like the typical Mustang fishtailing into a curb peeling out of a cars and coffee. Other than some light test driving, I have no experience with RWD vehicles. I figure I will try and slowly ease into it, perhaps find an autocross event nearby to test the handling in a somewhat controlled environment.

2 weeks into owning my first rwd I hit some sand on a corner and understeered into a tree. Don't be like me. Watch for sand and gravel.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Most mufflers have a drain hole on the bottom front facing side of the muffler. It makes sense it's a little rusty there.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 9, 2017

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Woops drat phone.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The trick your talking about with bypassing the pass key is putting in a (i think) 24 ohm resistor on that wire.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Anyone got any tips for taking a Ford hood insulation cover off (2011 Edge)? One of my wiper sprays is clogged and I want to take it off to give it a proper cleaning, but its under the insulation. The first clip/peg I tried to remove shattered into pieces. The others don't feel much sturdier.

There all going to break. Go to a parts store with what's left of one and they will match you up. Probably a good bet your nozzles will break of you mess with them too much. Dealer only so be carefull.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Anyone have an opinion on these things? https://www.amazon.com/Xenon-Headli...words=Headlight

It's a HID Xenon Headlight Conversion Kit by Kensun. Are you a jackass if you use these headlights, or is that something else? I'd be installing it in an 08 Cayman.

e:I am pretty sure this is my current headlight enclosure, if that matters: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-987...KxYl5UM&vxp=mtr

h11bs list for 34-54 bucks on NAPA a piece. Im not sure how the whole conversion kit is 30 bucks.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I love when when people come in for replacement bulbs and I tell them that fancy option they got at the dealership is going to cost them 230 dollars per bulb. People loose their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

What do I need besides my socket set and a box of new plugs to change sparkplugs on a 2010 Honda Civic? Do I need a torque wrench and gap gauge?

Just tighten them so they are snug. Get ngk iridium plugs. If you don't have a spark plug socket you might need a magnet to get em out. You shouldn't need to gap new plugs but be careful and place them down in there as oppose to just dropping them in.