Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Crash74 posted:

It will go back and forth the entire stroke left / right.

:stonk:

Yeah, I'd say you've broken a tie rod/drag link, or separated the tie rod end.

Can you get a pic of the backside of the wheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm sure it boils down to ease of assembly on the production line.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I learned a thing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yep, they're drill stops to attach to a bit when you want to drill into something to a certain depth, rather than drilling through it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Does anyone have a link to the big effortpost about replacing battery terminal clamps that was in here? Mine are eaten up by corrosion.

Here's one

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

scuz posted:

What I'm most confused about is the interactions between items numbered 4, 6, and 7.

It's either/or. Either the rods have pressed-in bolts (4) and nuts (6), or the caps have bolts that thread into the rods (7).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Not without consulting someone familiar with your particular engine.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

I seen to recall Ford Escape possibly being terrible?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Skunkrocker posted:

Come on, someone here has got to know what in the gently caress is going on with this transmission! I really don't want this truck to break down. :smith:

I don't have an answer for you (automatic transmissions are black magic)...just want you to know you're not being ignored. :unsmith:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ They do not.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Nothing from Dorman, either.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

melon cat posted:

It isn't leaking air

Don't worry about it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
A $20 JY battery should do the trick.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

IOwnCalculus posted:

I feel like I'm missing something because I don't see/hear anything unusual in that video.

It hangs at 2500rpm (0:04).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2013,tacoma,2.7l+l4,3015099,exhaust+&+emission,catalytic+converter,5808

(if you're not in CA or NY)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The last I remember reading from Phil, he got a divorce and was embracing his swingin' single lifestyle, going to the gym and whatnot. I think the Mustang was being worked on at an inlaws' garage and he had to move it out? (Someone please correct me as necessary.)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
My rates sure as gently caress didn't drop when I turned 21/25/whatever (with no claims or tickets).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Steering rack? WTF?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given the empty hose barb there,

Totally missed that :downs:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It came from the factory with sealant, not a gasket.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

kid sinister posted:

So I've been researching my oil leak, how an engine can leak oil out the back after the RMS has been replaced. Is anyone here familiar with Ford 302s? According to what I've found on the interwebs, one common result for failed PCV valves is to also blow out the back of the lower intake gasket, which just so happens to be right above the RMS. Does that sound right? I've replaced the upper intake gasket a few times, but I've never done the lower. It looked like too much work in my book.

Yep. Ford used cork intake end gaskets, which tended to push out from under the manifold and leak.

E: replace them with a fat bead of RTV.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 22, 2017

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Friend has a 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, 2.0 I4, CVT.

Needs a cat. It's long out of emissions warranty. Rockauto only lists a cat rebuild service. Tried the O2 spacer trick on the post-cat sensor, it trips P0137 (sensor 2 low voltage) instead of P0420. Taking the spacer back out gets P0420 back.

Anyone know a source outside of Mitsubishi for a bolt-in cat? Or is she limited to getting a generic welded in?

Partsgeek lists a few direct-fit cats.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Wrong year, wrong model. Hers is a 2013 Outlander Sport (which is different than the Outlander), not a 2003 Outlander. :smith:

Wow, I really need to learn to read. Sorry for the false alarm.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

`Nemesis posted:

I think you have a bad electrical ground somewhere.

Seconded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l734h_SThcA

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Door check.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
There should be a small cylindrical spring that wraps around the choke shaft and rotates the choke open. It could be broken or dislodged.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://www.draw-tite.com/products/trailer-hitches/class-i-1-1-4-hitch/class-i-trailer-hitch/WfzaCtfZMf25wM9znIGUwk2Q3LHwhKe8

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-Trailer-3-5-ft-x-5-ft-Wire-Mesh-Utility-Trailer/3680952

I was going to link to the utility trailer from Harbor Freight, but they've apparently been pulled due to non-DOT-compliant tires.

E: You'll also need a ~$65 wiring harness/converter.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 27, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

12 Battery or computer recently disconnected (will occur on most cars most of the time, it indicates a low / missing battery happened in the last 50 key starts.)
47 Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low
55 End of codes

Your alternator/voltage regulator is probably dying. Check for loose wiring connections first.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Intermittent electrical problems are a bitch. :(

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Nevermind, I'm high.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

KakerMix posted:

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado with the 2L-T turbo diesel 4 cyl engine, JDM.
Is it common to have two belts running in series that follow the same path? It looks to me like I have two belts that run off the crank, up to the water pump/fan, then over to the alternator. One is in front of the other and the follow the exact same path without deviation, every pulley having two grooves, one for each belt.
If I were to order replacement belts would the part number include two belts or do I have to buy two of the things?

:confused:

Wow, I thought only Chrysler did that. You have to ask for a "matched set", for obvious reasons.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

dis astranagant posted:

Is it normal for belt noise to just go away? drat thing's been squealing like Deliverance all month and suddenly nothing.

If coolant was spilled on it and then eventually burned off, yes.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Okay, Honda experts:

I've got a 2002 Civic EX sedan with 2 ganked front wheel studs. What's the secret to replacing them without dismantling the knuckle/hub?

E: nm, tore it apart and did it right. :rip: balljoint boot.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 23, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

spankmeister posted:

What about going to a local junkyard and pulling the parts ?

Those are GM parts-bin belts, should be easy enough to source.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ExecuDork posted:

/\/\/\ GM =!= Jeep. Pham is looking for Chrysler Corporation parts-bins.

It's an AMC-era CJ, they're GM belts.

E: ExecuDork, it looks like you need one of these.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 12, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
As long as the float/needle/seat are working properly, fuel delivery should stop when the float bowl is full. You can remove a large vacuum line (PCV/power brakes) to reduce vacuum enough to prevent fuel from being drawn in when the engine turns over. You'll get an accelerator pump shot when you open the throttle, but that should be it. (Run the test with the throttle wide open so the engine gets max airflow for accurate results.) Also lol carbed Iron Duke

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Pham Nuwen posted:

I could probably borrow my friend's Dremel and cut off the edges of the bolt for a wrench

Yes

Also penetrating oil

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://www.txdmv.gov/motorcarriers/low-clearance/item/1771-austin-district-structures-with-low-vertical-clearance

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
2002 Civic EX, D17A2, 4AT. It cold-starts/runs/drives fine, but if run up to temp then allowed to heat-soak for 5-15 minutes, it won't run under load. Any attempt to accelerate causes it to cough, sputter, and die. It sounds to me like fuel, but I just installed a new Delphi pump module this spring. I also don't get the heat-soak connection. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Lost in filterchat:

Dagen H posted:

2002 Civic EX, D17A2, 4AT. It cold-starts/runs/drives fine, but if run up to temp then allowed to heat-soak for 5-15 minutes, it won't run under load. Any attempt to accelerate causes it to cough, sputter, and die. It sounds to me like fuel, but I just installed a new Delphi pump module this spring. I also don't get the heat-soak connection. Thoughts?