Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I have a 2008 Subaru Outback with those round Yakima roof rack bars and a Yakima Skybox 18 cargo box.

How bad of an idea is it to move the box all the way to one side, load it up, add a kayak to the other side, and blow the 150lbs weight limit by another 50lbs for a ~5000km journey?

Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Where are you going? From your mixture of imperial (lbs) and metric (km) I'm guessing you're in :canada: East, West, or Middle? please say North, and not mean "Barrie"

Good guess, we're in northern BC (Prince Rupert)! Drove home to Toronto area for the summer and a colleague is hoping we can bring their kayak back with us.

But speaking of oil changes and multi-point inspections, our local Kal Tire dropped the goddamned ball. We got as far as Wisconsin before we had to pull in to a Subaru dealership for a wheel bearing, whereupon we learned that the head gasket finally went and the front boots were cracked. Got the bearing and boots repaired and limped the rest of the way. The gasket leak isn't very bad and we're debating what to do next, if it's worth repairing or not. The transmission already clunks into second gear and I don't want to keep throwing money into an Outback-shaped pit.

Being in Northern BC (and working on a fixer-upper house), a crew cab'd pickup or SUV that can tow would be a nice replacement. Any consensus on what the best value is in a used vehicle of either type?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I need a vehicle that can comfortably sit five, plus a dog, and camping gear, and travel down logging roads and beat up rural highways. And handle with real winter driving.

Am I stuck looking at SUVs or am I underestimating minivans?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions!

The logging roads aren't super crazy, but they're rutted, and some have big enough chunks of gravel that it sounded like the undercarriage of my Fit was being torn out at 30km/h. The road up to one of the cabins we visited this summer was bad enough that I had to slow to a crawl at times in our old Outback and I'd be worried about a minivan flexing too much or bottoming out on roads like that.

But also I'm probably overly-cautious and 90% of the time it'll be paved roads that are plowed semi-regularly in the winter. I'm in Northern BC, though, so the conditions can get pretty bad.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Buying a new car in Canada.

Let's say the listed price is $65,000 with 0% interest. The dealer price is $55,000. Can I haggle down towards the dealer price and still expect to keep the 0% financing rate?

It's a 2019 base model Suburban that I expect they want to move sooner rather than later. There's not a huge market for them in our neck of the woods and the new model will be available Summer-ish. I'd have preferred an LT model but if I can get a good price for this LS then I can live without leather and fog lights.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Bought a new 2019 Suburban LS yesterday. Today, the two USB and one Aux connections inside the front centre console aren't working, so I'm extremely thrilled at needing to bring it back to the dealership already. The aux input was working earlier today.

I can't find anything online for this model year. Anyone know which fuse it might be, or if this is a common problem?