Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

2000 Neon, 2.0, 5spd. I wiggled the clutch cable, and the pedal gained about half its travel in free play. Ferrules are intact, cable is sitting in the fork the way it should, the pedal end looks the way it's supposed to as well, and I'm being blamed for breaking the car by my whiny idiot roommate. Aside from the chance that the cable's had already failed and I knocked some hackjob fix apart I've got nothing. Any ideas?
e: so it's got some stupid self-adjuster on the cable and it seems to have failed. Nice.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kid sinister posted:

My 1988 Ford F150 didn't have rear speakers, so I ran wires back behind the bench seat anyway and put in some 6x9" truck boxes. That would normally be OK, but they like to scoot forward against the back of the bench seat and muffle out their sound. Has anyone dealt with this before? What are my options? Strap the boxes down somehow?

I did see this replacement headliner on JC Whitney that had quad 4" speakers. That's nice, but smaller than the door speakers. That got me thinking. How hard would it be to get some custom trim pieces made for the door B pillars and hide some speakers back there? There is quite a bit of room in the corners behind the trim.

As a former Ford Bricknose owner (and I'm sill a major fan of them), I'll say that any solution to a problem like this that requires you to spend more than $10 is the wrong one. I'm thinking find a way to strap them down or use velcro.
Personally though if I wanted to do an audio upgrade on one of these I'd have just put good front speakers in and not bothered with rears at all.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

GenIII SBC intake gaskets are generally reusable unless they're cracked/damaged/crusty right? I've got to do knock sensors on my 2000 LR4.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

eehhhhhhhh maybe. I would have one on hand before you do the job, I have had some pretty poo poo luck with gaskets lately.

Alright, I'll make sure to pick some up. Any other things I should order for this job, or common 'while I'm in there' stuff?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

On a totally unrelated issue, I'm buying a used car, and I thought that a CarFax was supposed to cost like $12?
The AAA site said that I could get a discount, but when I clicked through it wanted to charge me $33.29 for the report? WTF?

I just paid $55 for a CarProof (:canada:). If I wanted to include records from BC in the search it'd have been $75. And it was the same price when our funbux were at par with American Dollhairs.
poo poo's just expensive. They don't have much for competition and it's become a mandatory part of a used car sale so they know they can get away with charging whatever.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I was checking out a late model 2014 used car that seems great but I'm on the fence because of one issue I saw. For whatever reason, the passenger door jamb has expanding foam in it. No idea why it was there. I didn't bring it up to the dealer yet, maybe using it as a bargaining chip later if it's nothing major.

Any reason why you guys think someone might have put it there? Any common reason someone would do that? Maybe to fix a rattle? Or is it a common tactic to cover up something more nefarious?

I took a photo while I was on the test drive.

Let's put it this way: PO thought that was a good idea. The reason they did so isn't even relevant really, that sort of person isn't the PO you want, even on a car that new.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MRC48B posted:

I wish i could do that, but i'm using a widowmaker and some lovely stands, so I can't get the ground clearance to get my disposal jug underneath. :negative:

Lots of hose, then.
We use something similar on all the trucks where I work and they're loving wonderful.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Familiar Foreigner posted:

No check engine lights on the Camry and the suburban has been aligned multiple times by a few places. My dad says it only has one adjustment for toe and the caster and camber can't be set, but not sure how true that is. The camry's TPS was just replaced with no noticeable effect.

You can absolutely set the caster/camber on a SFA, it's just done with shims (heavier stuff uses a caster shim between the spring and axle, more ordinary trucks generally have some sort of combination caster/camber shim somewhere on or near the knuckle). Just not a well-known procedure and kind of a pain in the rear end, so you're probably getting toe-n-blow alignments. Dog tracking is often a thrust angle thing though, how is the rear looking bushing-wise?
Also a Suburban that late should have IFS I thought?

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

They're reliable and don't really have any mechanical pitfalls.

Where's the 'fun' part though?

The SMTs like to break sometimes. And the fun part comes in when you put a 2ZZ in it.