Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The previous incarnation of the thread was a god send before, so I'm hoping you all can help again. 91 Nissan d21 with the 2.4. Previously wanted to die on me when I stopped/slowed down quickly. I replaced the fuel filter, iacv, plugs etc and that took care of the problem. Appears that problem is back now, same situation makes it want to die. I don't know what the expected life span of a fuel filter/iacv should be, but I'd think more then a year right? Any ideas?

Edit: my power steering pump is going out too, not sure if that is relevant or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I did total loss valuation reports on construction equipment for Years, and you would be surprised how many of them were 4x2s

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
2005 impala. Appears my USB car charger is stuck in the cigarette lighter slot. I can't get it out yanking on it, and I can't really figure out a way to get at it.

Is there a way to remove the whole ashtray assembly thing along with both lighter plugs so I can look at it in better light?

I'd rather not have to go to the mechanic... This seems like something I can do lol

Edit: follow up question: will leaving it plugged in hurt anything?

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 24, 2017

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I suppose I'll track down a pliers over lunch and see if that works. Otherwise yeah I can pull the fuse

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

IOwnCalculus posted:

My Ranger had both outlets as always-on, my Honda has its as only switched, and my WJ has one of each. :v: Easy enough to tell.

As my old man says, grab it and growl. My money is on this being some low-cost USB charger and the case has managed to come apart while still in the socket.

Pliers was successful! I had to pull on it like a mofo and thought for sure it would shatter, but it came out. USB charger is still fine so Anker makes decent quality I guess?

I had it in the cigarette lighter socket, and not the "accessory" socket. When I plugged it in the accessory socket, it charges and works fine, and comes out fine.

Possible lesson: the cigarette socket and accessory socket must slightly differ internally somehow, at least on a 2005 impala...

Thanks for the tips everyone

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Please don't lose your title because if you need to get a salvage title bond there's a very good chance it'll come across my desk eventually and I don't wanna do it

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Odd squeak from my front driver side wheel. Only really noticeable sometimes, seems related to speed of wheel. I recently had my tires rotated, so I wonder if it could be a sporadically sticking brake pad, maybe a bad strut? (I need new struts and brakes EVENTUALLY but I'd love to put the job off if I can)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Preoptopus posted:

does it squeak when you turn left to right while stationary? Likely ball joints. If it squeaks while driving id be looking at the brakes.

You know I'll have to pay more attention the next time I hear it. Thank you!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Preoptopus posted:

does it squeak when you turn left to right while stationary? Likely ball joints. If it squeaks while driving id be looking at the brakes.

I noticed last night leaving the grocery store it started squeaking when I was making a hard turn out of the parking lot and really cranking on the wheel.. I'm guessing ball joints as my front end has ridden a little.... Rougher... Then usual lately.

I was actually going to work on my car today with a buddy but it's pissing rain here... Hopefully tomorrow lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I did vehicle valuation in a previous job. Honestly, kbb isn't the worst, but we valued ours completely based off comparable vehicles for sale in the market. For example , a 2005 accord, I would look at maybe a hundred mile radius for other 2005 accords for sale and make adjustments based on miles, condition and etc. I was the person your insurance company went to, to figure out how much your car was worth when you totalled it. I realize that this is a tad outside an individual person's ability, but I would recommend looking on maybe "auto trader" or something similar, and going from there.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Dominoes posted:

How can you tell what the vehicles actually sell for though? IME there's a huge bid/ask spread. I assume most of the deals happen below list value.

It's all about averages, and eliminating the outliers. Verified sales are also important. Sometimes I would have to call people and ask them what it sold for. A lot of the algorithm was proprietary but that's the gist of it

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

everdave posted:

I heard some chatter that your car (the tc) is a bit of a hot commodity on the resale market I'd do some research and see this particular model may be a worth a little more than book

This is also good advice!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
So, looking for front brakes for my Impala. I'm gonna buy online and pick up in store for the sweet deals. However, (here's the stupid question) does something saying "front (4 pad set) " mean I am getting 4 separate brake pads, so I am covered for this brake pad change on both front wheels, as well as having a second set for the future?

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 21, 2017

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, you're getting four pads - but each wheel uses two pads. They push against each other on opposite sides of the rotor. So it's one set for one change.

ETA:

God drat I'm dumb and didn't even think about that... Thank you very much :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Update on 2005 impala with sporadic squeak: I changed out the front brakes and it seemed to go away. I drove probably 500-600 miles over the weekend and didn't notice anything. Got back home and noticed the squeak sporadically comes back. I notice it starts most when I turn the wheel, while driving slow, but the squeak persists until I come to a stop. If I start driving again right away, the squeak continues. If I let my car sit for maybe an hour or so, the squeak goes away until it seems to randomly come back.

I am probably gonna do the rear brakes this week some time, but is there anything I should look at up front/back while I've got it jacked up?

For what it's worth, I never noticed the squeak at all until after I had my tires rotated...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Memento posted:

My mother in law has a 2012 Ford Fiesta (grey) and while she was driving back from the shops just now the radio displayed "alarm announcement". Never seen it before, can't see anything in the manual about it. Anyone know what it means? The car doesn't have an alarm.

My guess is weather related alarm, much like my cell phone will pop up weather related emergency alerts. Maybe Amber Alert?

Edit: Googled around a bit, now I'm not sure. Found a link that said it was battery related...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Thanks for everyone's help pages and pages ago! I finally replaced my front bearings and the mystery squeak went away... Now I just need new struts and tires too 😑

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Stupid question: should I get new tires first, or new struts first? According to the person I got the car from, struts have never been done (200k miles, so they are definitely shot). Tires I should probably get done before winter.. What should be my priority here?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

spog posted:

How much tread do you have on your current tyres?

I haven't measured them lately but they aren't like... Visibly bad, if that makes sense? They seemed to have plenty of tread from the last time I checked tire pressure.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I should add I can get my struts on Amazon and my buddy will do them for a case of Busch light so that's probably the cheaper option lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Cage posted:

Do that, save up and wait for the next good tire sale. Discount tire direct is usually good for this.

Good idea thank you. Looking at Amazon, probably going to buy the whole quick strut. Any goon opinions on brands? I've used Monroe before, but I also see Moog- I bought Moog bearings but not sure about struts

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Captain Yossarian posted:

Good idea thank you. Looking at Amazon, probably going to buy the whole quick strut. Any goon opinions on brands? I've used Monroe before, but I also see Moog- I bought Moog bearings but not sure about struts

Gonna quote myself to add here: I do not have the "police package" but basically every set of struts I find is for the police package. Are they interchangeable, as long as I have the right wheel size?

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Captain Yossarian posted:

Anyone? :)