Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I've got a 2011 Ford Escape and the check engine light is on.
It came on right after I put gas in it on my way home from work, so I checked the owner's manual which said my gas cap is probably off.
Um ok, my car doesn't have a gas cap but I checked anyways to make sure there wasn't something stuck in the little flap. I also checked the oil and other fluids and everything was fine.
No leaks, weird sounds or smells, the engines running as good as it usually does (lol).
Checked the manual again and it advised to start up the car, drive it on the freeway, then cool down the engine and make a ring of salt around it while summoning saint frances three times.
Did all that, the light is still on and the last thing the manual says is to bring it to a mechanic.

My car has done weird poo poo a couple of times before, and every time I take it in they're like "There's nothing wrong with your car. We couldn't replicate the issue you were having under any conditions, diagnostics comes back fine, etc."
I feel like I'm an vehicular hypochondriac now, and I can't keep throwing money at my stupid car for them to tell me it's all in my head or whatever.
I think my car is possessed by a lovely ghost or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Confirmed.

Do you live in Not California? If so, go to an autoparts store and get them to read the check engine light codes for free. Report back.

I fuckin knew it!

I don't live in Not California.
I guess I'm taking it to the mechanics AGAIN tomorrow.
Hopefully something is actually wrong with my car this time so I don't look crazy.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

Memento posted:

I read this to mean "I do live in California, home of the brave and land of the gently caress no we can't tell you what the codes are from your car, you might try to fix it yourself".

yes.

UPDATE:
I've decided to name my car Michigan J. Ford.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkfU1JqmkHM
The check engine lights been on for three days, as I'm pulling up into the driveway of the mechanics suddenly it goes off.
I already had an appointment set up and everything, so he's taking a look at it anyways even though there's probably nothing wrong.