Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tires! I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but I didn't see a tire megathread so here we go.

If it matters I'm driving an '02 Silverado 1500 and right now it has Toyo M-55s on it (to quote the sidewall: LT 235/85r16 M-55 M+S) that are getting near being slicks. So it's new tire time.

I work construction, which means I get a lot of highway miles commuting to and from work, as well as miles on big projects with roads that range from 'grubbed dirt track' to 'we bladed in a load of 6inch minus, good luck!" or even fresh shot rock with sharp as gently caress edges, so tough tires are certainly a requirement. As well as the typical jaunts up logging roads to go shooting in random borrow pits.

Please recommend me a tire, I really don't know what I should be getting. I do understand that good tires (like the ones I have that have lasted me a long time) may cost some money, that's fine. I'm not expecting some $75/ea shitpiles to fit my needs.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

More M-55s?

Yeah, that was my thought. I just figured I'd check here to see if there have been any space age advances since they were put on the truck like 10 years ago :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I just pulled a P0446 code from my 02 Silverado 1500, evap purge valve/solenoid stuck closed. According to my research it's a fairly common problem across a bunch of chevy models and years so there are a bunch of diy fix-it guides out there. Like this one: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/threads/quick-fix-for-code-p0446-evap-emissions-vent-circuit-low.18964/

I crawled under, found the filter box, traced the purge line to the valve and undid the bracket bolt. From there, I can't turn it enough to find the supposed hole I need to blow out. The valve is in a bitch of a spot, kinda above the fuel tank near the frame rail. I can see it through the gap between the cab and the bed but really only get at it from one spot from below.

I need to renew my tags, which means an emmisions test. I imagine the (WA state) test runs some routines that make any codes like this pop up if I tried to clear them and sneak it by before the drive cycle makes it come up again.

So does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Anyone done it before? Alternatively (and useful for some work I gotta get done soon anyway), can anyone recommend a shop in the Vancouver, wa or portland metro area that they trust?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It took my CEL several days of driving, probably north of 300 miles to pop back on after clearing the codes. Probably really depends on the manufacturer, though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Some grocery stores have it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

EightBit posted:

Stop letting him borrow it, problem solved :v:.

How I fixed the exact same issue with my brother. Borrowing my truck with a full tank and bringing it back on fumes ain't cool, bro.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The company I work for has a F550 Super Duty diesel dually flatbed and it's...2wd. Practically useless. I can see why they might make them, but why would a heavy construction contractor buy one?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

How many places will you need 4WD and the load capacity of a F550? It's not like you're going to go rock-crawling in that thing.

Actually that's what basically all the roads on the site are :v: Notice I said heavy construction, so the haul roads are built out of 6 inch minus rock for the articulated haul trucks and big old Cat 773 dump trucks.

Some of my crew blew out that trucks transmission yesterday while hauling 2 tons of ANFO over aforementioned rock roads.

And like Kastein says, anything that isn't rocked is dirt, and those big haul trucks make poo poo-shows of dirt roads in short order, even with a grader on hand.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 22, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I don't know how SD does it but WA dings you for the sales tax when you register it for the first time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That sounds like the kind of thing a VIN lookup would tell you? It does sound fishy to me, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Unfortunately not, that was my first thought as well, and they aren't quite the same, the SD1 buttons have a bit of a dish to their profile. Montego/Maestro ones aren't quite right either.

I think, based on them owning Lotus at the time, there's a good chance they're from somewhere in the GM family, but God knows that's a big haystack.

GM sounds about right, they look a hell of a lot like the buttons in my old man's old 94 Chevy pickup.