Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Greetings ya'll. I'm changing the timing belt on my 05 Civic and I've been stuck on the crank pulley bolt all day now. We've hit it with liquid wrench, we've torched it, I've broken a socket wrench cranking on it with a breaking bar, I've used an impact wrench long enough to wallow out a socket, I've used a jack to crank on a bigass wrench, and the bastard will not budge. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

Breaker bar with an impact socket and a big piece of pipe,

That is my next step, I feel like I've spent all drat day borrowing my wife's car to go back to the store for 'one more tool!'

Fucknag posted:

They do make a tool that slots into the pulley to hold it still if that's the case.

The pulley and engine are not moving, I'm using one of those tools and another wrench to lock it in place against the a arm.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I got it!

The final effective method was a little bit of the jack method, then a little bit of chemical action, come back and repeat thirty minutes later.

I think the real clincher was when I started using a screwdriver as a shim between the head of the socket and that bit of frame running horizontally right above it. That kept the first three sweeps of the jack lift from being wasted 'lifting' the whole wrench so to speak and getting the torque out of plane. With the driver in there, it was clean rotation from the get go so our work was more efficient.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

I got it!

The final effective method was a little bit of the jack method, then a little bit of chemical action, come back and repeat thirty minutes later.

I think the real clincher was when I started using a screwdriver as a shim between the head of the socket and that bit of frame running horizontally right above it. That kept the first three sweeps of the jack lift from being wasted 'lifting' the whole wrench so to speak and getting the torque out of plane. With the driver in there, it was clean rotation from the get go so our work was more efficient.

So, do all these guides have you draining the coolant because it's just the thing to do at this point, or because you're going to wind up soaking wet when you change the water pump if you don't do it?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm back to working on my 05 Civic 5 speed. You all talked me off the cliff after I hosed up a timing belt change a while back, if that stirs any memories.

I was driving on some pretty pathetic tires for a while and there was a lot of road noise and unnecessary wiggle. I finally got new ones all around and an alignment and things were just great, it was like having a new car again. Last Friday, as I was driving to pick up kids, I braked and there was a grinding noise coming from what sounded like the drivers side front. When I got off the brake, it didn't stop, but it did a few seconds later. Later, it started again when I turned out of the parking lot of the daycare, and then went on all the way home, about a mile. I parked it, used a different car to go to work all weekend, and when I got home today I propped her up on jack stands.

First things first, I tried manually rotating the wheels, and there was no noticeable difference right to left. I then started it, put it in gear, and got out. The passenger side wheel was puttering along but the driver side wheel was just twitching. It would give a little half a degree advance, then stop for several seconds, and then jump again.

Self, I said, that probably isn't good for the drive train, so I shut it down.

I took the wheels off. Now, I don't know anything at all about brakes, except that I do know about 5 6 7? years ago I changed the brake pads on this car in a dirt lot and the jack sank into the ground and the car fell on my foot. I didn't do it again. Drop the car, or change the pads

I'm sure with 100k on it, I need pads and rotors. At least.

I took these pictures. One question, is the pad supposed to rest against the rotor when the car is off?

Driver side #1

Driver side #2

Driver side #3

Passenger side

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, the pads should contact the rotors at all times. However, it looks like those pads are down to basically nothing left.

The test you did with the front wheels up in the air probably didn't tell you anything useful. If the car has traction control, it would have been trying to intervene. If you have an open differential, it wouldn't take much additional resistance on one side (or the other) to only have one wheel spinning.

Ah. So, new pads for sure. Do the rotors look alright?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

They look OK, but it's hard to tell from photos. Run your fingernail along the rotor from center to edge. If you can feel significant grooving, like it catches your fingernail and feels rough, then it's time for resurfacing or a new rotor, whichever is cheaper. These days replacing the rotors is usually cheaper than paying someone to turn/resurface them.

The rotor surface is pretty smooth until you get to the last centimeter towards the O.D. Is the pads being worn down to nubs the cause of the grinding noise?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Christobevii3 posted:

If your time is worth more than money, just buy new rotors. Most places won't turn them anymore because there is some federal safety law about how much they can be out of spec from oem. If your money is worth more, just change the pads and see what happens.

I'm going to do pads and rotors when I get a chance. I've got to drive the car two more times before I can lay it up and do that, but it doesn't look like a wheel is about to fall off. I did not mention that the grinding is like a file on metal chuff chuff chuff that is directly proportional in frequency to speed (up to a certain point where it stops can't hear it over rolling noise

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

One of your pads is already metal-to-metal judging by the pics you've posted. It's probably an inboard one which is why you can't detect anything wrong with the discs.

An opportunity to work on it came up this morning, I had a few hours off between shifts.

After a quick trip to the parts store for pads, rotors, an impact driver, and a wire brush and various chemicals, I was able to get out of there for about $160.

Changed them all out, no major problems to report. I just drove it, stops like a champ and no more noise.

One thing though, when the wheels were off and you rotated the hub, you could see a slight eccentricity in the rotation of the new rotor on the driver's side. With the caliper on, you'd get a variable amount of brake pad noise as you completed one rotation.

And here's the real kicker:

On the left, you have the driver's side outboard brake pad compared to the passenger side outboard brake pad.

What's causing that?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

gvibes posted:

Important AI question: Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna?

:suicide:

Vasectomy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ashton posted:

Here's how it was yesterday, at its worst. It was PACKED.

And today we're down to this...

The bottom half of the compartment is still pretty snowy.

Like I said, I haven't tried to start it at all today, I mostly just wanted to be sure I wouldn't cause further damage by attempting to do so.

You might consider moving.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

loving alternators, how do they work?

They just do. Until they don't. Then you replace them. What?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

What are the advantages of manual vs automatic?

I got just robbed instead of robbed and carjacked in my manual civic, so there's that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

So it used to be manual > auto for advantages but now auto has taken up all of manual's strengths?

Well, yes, except for the theft deterrence. Also the penis enhancement, but I thought that was an unspoken thing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Don't think anybody here has one, iirc.

We could always return to the home defense Miata concept. Best tires for not overpenetrating, best lights for dazzling intruders, etc

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

I just want a car to get me around that is reliable, cheap, good gas milage...

Do you want your unicorn to have one horn or two?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I have a stupid question, what the hell are these things in my drill bit kit?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

They rule and are very good.

Thanks! I've never had that use case pop up or I probably would have figured that out. How about this?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

Cock ring

It is extremely uncomfortable and I can't get it off please advise

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

That's what the other bits in that case are for.

Well, some of them. For god's sake, don't use the wrong one.

I am beginning to get the idea you don't have my best interests at heart :colbert:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

Where else can I look to sort this out?

You're going to need a young priest an and old priest.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spouse posted:

Is it a dumb idea to buy a $950 volvo 240 with 250,000 miles on it to learn how to drive a manual? I've always liked the little tanks, and figured it'd be better than ruining my dad's Mustang or my buddy's Evo, though either have offered.

Dooooo it!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I want to do for my kid.

I learned on a 12yo hilux and my dad told me if you can't do this you've got no business driving. I've had 4 vehicles in 18 years and three of them were manuals. I only had the automatic for two years.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My 99 dodge caravan is sitting in the driveway with the battery dead as a door nail because the radiator fans never shut off. It's been suggested that the relay is stuck and that I need to replace it, but every conversation I can find online about locating and replacing the relay is about fixing a van where the fans won't come on, not won't shut off. Is there anything else I should check out or should i just slap a new relay in it and see what happens? It's only $50 but the stores on this side of the river are all out of stock so it'd be a slight pain to go get.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

My 99 dodge caravan is sitting in the driveway with the battery dead as a door nail because the radiator fans never shut off. It's been suggested that the relay is stuck and that I need to replace it, but every conversation I can find online about locating and replacing the relay is about fixing a van where the fans won't come on, not won't shut off. Is there anything else I should check out or should i just slap a new relay in it and see what happens? It's only $50 but the stores on this side of the river are all out of stock so it'd be a slight pain to go get.

I had to jump it in a hurry to get the kids to school this morning. The fans went on full blast as soon as I connected the jumper cable. Anyway, while I had the hood open I opened the fuse box
and pulled the fuse for the fans and they stopped, naturally. I stuck the fuse back in and there was a spark and now the fans aren't on and the CEL light is on so woops.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

I had to jump it in a hurry to get the kids to school this morning. The fans went on full blast as soon as I connected the jumper cable. Anyway, while I had the hood open I opened the fuse box
and pulled the fuse for the fans and they stopped, naturally. I stuck the fuse back in and there was a spark and now the fans aren't on and the CEL light is on so woops.

To no one's surprise, temp started climbing while stuck in the drop off line at school. Turned on the heater and made it home. Have I converted a stuck on relay to a dead relay? Or did I do further damage to the electrics screwing around with that fuse?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

I'm not familiar with this specific vehicle but here are some possibilities.
1. Your fuse is shot especially if you pulled it while running.
2. Replace the frigging relay, get one from a parts store or somewhere that will ship it.
3. Your temp sensor that turns the fan on/off is shot, if you don't have one at a store near bye also order online and return if you don't need it.

Drive as little as possible, overheating is not nice to vehicles, your <$100 problem can get expensive fast

I pulled it while it was running, but my thinking was that circuit is live even when the motor is off, so what difference would it make? On the other hand, electricity is magic.

I don't think the fuse is shot, and i swapped it with a known good one and there was no change. I'll change the relay next.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Yeah replace the relay and sensor, they're very cheap parts that can cause very expensive problems.

Would that be the coolant temp sensor?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Usually called a cooling fan switch, or radiator fan switch.

The coolant temp sensor is what tells your car how hot the coolant is and is usually in the block. The Radiator fan switch closes as the temp rises to the right temp and the fan goes on.

Finally got a chance to get into the van.

I started looking from down below, couldn't see anything relevant to the radiator, but I did find this loose connector dangling. Looked like it had been unplugged for a long time, and I couldn't find anything within its reach that it would plug into. What the hell?

Anyway, I removed the air box and the intake and there was my relay, easy peasy. I've pulled it out and replaced it. The instructions that came with the relay recommend also replacing the oem harness, is that necessary?

My third question is, is it advisable to start the van and see if it is working correctly without reassembling the whole intake? As long as I make sure the area around the intake hose is clear?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Can you reattach the intake without bolting it down? Just let it flop there?

Not directly, but I could get the filter unit attached to it. Thanks!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Finally got the new relay in this morning. Everything works perfect. Thanks for the assist, gentlemen.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

rizuhbull posted:

2005 Honda Civic. 60k miles.

Check engine light came on. Autozone said it's code P0134. A faulty 02 upstream sensor (or sensor 1). Recommended a $150 part from Bosch.

Called my slimy dealership where I got the car (for shits and giggles). Guy said "oh, yeah...that's expensive (sounded like the boss from Office Space). It's gonna be $400 for the part and another $100 for labor, totaling $500. I said I'd call him back.
Called a local mechanic Autozone recommend. Said it's $300 total. $200 for the part and $100 for the part markup and labor. Also said I could buy the part myself and have him install it if I wanted to go the cheaper route. Gave me two codes for the part.
Bosch=15473
Denso=2349017

Looking at their websites and Amazon, the parts are $90-$100 shipped. Looking at tutorials, it's less than 1 hour of labor and very easy to do it yourself. Should I? My only experience is replacing a battery. Should I take it somewhere? If so, where? If not, what tools would I need to replace it myself and any recommended guides? Anything else I should know about all this? Thanks.

I have the same car and did the same job a few months ago. It is stupid easy. Just use a wrench to get it loose, apply anti seize to threads of new Denso sensor, and screw it back in.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've been a driving a Honda for 11 years now, and my wife went through college in a raggedy but reliable Corolla and moved up to a Camry when she started work.

I've been working on both cars and am pretty familiar with Hondas and Toyotas, but we've got the third child on the way and we're looking at Odysseys and Siennas, but even used ones are still breathtakingly expensive.

A dealer we've been browsing at popped up with a 2016 Nissan Pathfinder S with only 7k miles on it and they want 25.5k for it (as opposed to 30 and 32k for two and three year old Odysseys with 40-50k on them.

Realizing that that particular Pathfinder has so many fewer of the bells and whistles that the minivans have, what I don't know is diddly about Nissans.

Are they reliable? Expensive to work on?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

The CEL will turn off.

I think.

Can confirm.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My oem battery in my 05 civic made it 8 years, but not a single tire made it to 10k miles without blowing out a sidewall (the first went at 3k!)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I get the vague feeling i'm getting scammed on craigslist but I can't see the risk with my method but my wife is pretty antsy.

We've got this 1999 Dodge minivan that we've had for about a year and a half. We bought it off her grandma for a long trip with family++ that we wanted to save having to take two vehicles for.

We made the trip, and then started saving up, sold her car and bought a 2014 Honda van.

So, we need to get rid of the Caravan. There's nothing majorly wrong with it except for two things: the headliner is starting to droop and there's a knocking coming from the front right strut.
Otherwise, the body is in real good shape, everything works, it has extensive repair records. It only has 167k miles on it, so I posted it on CL Little Rock this morning for $1500.

I get a text from an Ohio number about 20 minutes after I post the ad.

code:
Hi there, i saw an ad for a  " 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan - $1500 (west little rock) " and i thought i'd inquire about it  again to confirm the authenticity of the post.
However, I don't live in the same state so is there a way we can negotiate about how I can buy the unit?
Please quote the title and price of the ad again and reply to this number (937)-265-0401 as the one i'm texting you with right now is just a work number and as well so i can know you're real.
Thanks
So I respond with the name and price and tell him I'd prefer to deal by email or text because I'm mostly deaf. I tell him the van is here ready to go in Little Rock, clean and will go to whoever shows up with cash or a cashier's check and takes it away (I hadn't researched craigslist scams at that point and didn't know about counterfeit cashier's checks.)

He responds with a request for more pictures, I send him some, and then tell him that the only issues with the vehicle are the headliner starting to droop in places and that the front right strut is clanking.

code:
Actually I would prefer that we meet and discuss it but that might not be possible.
I was asking for some more photos because first, I live in Ohio and I'm not even in town at the moment so I may not be available to make a physical inspection on the unit, but I can let my shipper do that if we can agree on a price because I want to make this a little bit of an investment to be honest.
I can invest some trust by paying you with a check and when it is cleared and you have your money, my shipper will come around to pick it up provided the condition of the unit is found to be satisfactory.
I tell him if he needs more pics, tell me of what and I'll send them.

I text him:

Price is $1500 cash to you or any representative you chose, van sold as is. Cashier check or check for the vehicle will need to be $1500 + $100 for a having to go to the bank fee. Van will sit until the check clears. When the check clears, you or your representative can take van and title.

Then he texts me back,

code:
Ok, write me a name and address for the check
I send it

code:
One last thing, it would be preferable if you could remove the ad from Craigslist for legitimacy reasons as you will be receiving payment soon.
Which seemed strange, but I agreed to do it but told him If i didn't receive the money in 7 days I'd repost the ad.

I intend to deposit the check in the bank and wait until the bank declares it cleared. I intend to inform the bank that I am waiting to hear that the check is cleared.

I'm not going to wire money to anyone for anything.

What am I missing?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I also got a text from a NYC number this afternoon asking for the same thing,

Hey, I pay now, you work with shipper to get up here.

I told him the same thing and he asked for my paypal info and when I told him I didn't have a paypal account it's been crickets ever since.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

My understanding of cashier's checks is that banks are required to make deposited funds available to you within a certain time period (24 hours or something) regardless if they are fraudulent or not (because at that point they don't know yet) and on the other end, cashier's checks are issued using the bank's money so if it turns out to be fraudulent (when your bank tries to get the money from the issuing bank) the bank will deduct the money from your account and if you've transferred goods at that point... good luck getting them back. There's a lot of vagueness about when a check "clears". So just because it's there in your account doesn't necessarily mean it's your money yet

Maybe I am missing something though, all I know is I always deal with hard cash for smaller amounts

Yeah, I understand the difference between cleared and available.

I had the occasion once to deposit a check for 18k and they told me 2k is available now but that remaining 16k won't be available for several more days. And it was nearly a week. I'm going to wait the week or so. I'm not going to be checking my balance online to see if the check is good.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cop Porn Popper posted:

Its a scam. A common one at that.

Where's the scam, if I wait until I actually have the money before letting anyone take the vehicle? And don't send anyone money, period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You're not going to actually get the money, because it doesn't exist. All you're doing is going through a song and dance with a stupid criminal. This scam is so common that I can't imagine any legitimate buyer would ever try to conduct operations this way because it looks so shady.

You can't tell the bank, hey let's make double drat sure this is good?