Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I'm desperate.
The control arm ball joint on my 2008 LS460 WILL NOT COME OUT.
I have literally bent a pickle fork trying to get it out. I have used a jack on the bolt to try and push it out.
I have torched it so hot that it melted the bushings.

The compression style removers dont fit.

This bolt is now damaged from hammering and I don't know what else to try.

Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Geoj posted:

Not familiar with the model, but if it works like most modern suspension there should be a pinch bolt that runs through the bottom of the spindle and it should sit in a groove machined into the ball joint. You're not going to be able to pop the joint out without removing the pinch bolt first.

It doesn't have a pinch bolt (or at least I cant find it).

I decided to remove the whole spindle and, guess what, the other control arm bolt is stuck too.

I had to give up for now.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Car: 1973 Datsun 240z
Issue: No spark
Condition: Sat unstarted for 6 years.

I am getting no spark from the coil. I pulled apart the distributor, its absolutely crap and needs to be replaced, but that isn't the problem (I don't think).
I regaped the point. It has a new distributor cap and rotor. I tried a new coil. The resistor is 1.6ohms, within spec.

I put a new jumper wire from the + coil to the +distributor in case that wire was bad.

I put the timing light between the coil and the distributor cap and got nothing.

No matter what I sand and clean its seems I am not getting the spark from the coil.

I am not sure what to test any more I am completely out of ideas.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 26, 2018

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

1974 Chevy truck with the 350 small block. Current owner ran a coolant system flush and then didn’t refill it with coolant. Let it sit over the winter (in Texas, no snow and minimal days below 30 degrees). Replaced a freeze plug, then refilled it with coolant. Now there’s a massive leak out the front of the engine at the water pump. No coolant in the oil, so that’s a good sign.

Simple pump replacement job, or should I look at other potential problems?

Seals can dry out and shrink/crack. I would guess that is the issue.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
quote="spankmeister" post="485461738"]
Check your grounds, probably a ground strap rotted away somewhere.
[/quote]

Totally possible. However, if I run a continuity test from the distributor - wire to the chassis, I get continuity. Shouldn't that mean I am okay?

Fo3 posted:

12v to the coil while cranking? (or 7v from resistor while cranking?) -ve to coil continuity test to -ve of battery for ground problems. Could be something like a missing or broken earth lead from engine to chassis.
Does it have an aftermarket alarm/immobilizer/remote?

After that, they usually have ignition relays like other vintage Japanese cars don't they? (the relay that switches from 12v resistor bypass to 7v resistor throughput during running). And also capacitors/condensers in and on the distributor that if failed may prevent spark.

No alarms, etc.
I think at one point it did have a voltage booster circuit but at this point it looks like that has been wired out. the line to the + of the resistor always reads ~12.5v.
I didn't try wiring it straight to the battery directly. I can give that a shot and see what happens.

Also, it was my understanding that condensors were just there to absorb some extra voltage and prolong the life of the points. I.E. you could run without one just fine. Is that incorrect? The one I have on there has obviously been replaced (although 6+ years ago).

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 26, 2018

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Fo3 posted:

12v to the coil while cranking? (or 7v from resistor while cranking?) -ve to coil continuity test to -ve of battery for ground problems. Could be something like a missing or broken earth lead from engine to chassis.
Does it have an aftermarket alarm/immobilizer/remote?

After that, they usually have ignition relays like other vintage Japanese cars don't they? (the relay that switches from 12v resistor bypass to 7v resistor throughput during running). And also capacitors/condensers in and on the distributor that if failed may prevent spark.

Update: I jumped the + on the battery to the + on the coil and I got spark!
Soooo, this means I have narrowed it down to one of like 40 problems. It could be that, under load, the resistor is crapping out. Which would be REALLY strange, but possible. I can just throw a new one on there and see what happens. It could mean, that the start-circuit does, in fact, exist somewhere and screwing things up. Or there is some other grounding issue.

Blargh.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I drive a 2005-built Isuzu NPR truck for work. The air conditioning has never worked in the two years I've had it. The air blows out just fine but is not cold. The mechanic we have is entirely useless and refuses to fix anyone's AC because he thinks it's a luxury. How feasible is it for me to go to a pull-a-part, or eBay, or whatever, and get it fixed myself?

Engine is RJS/4HK1 if it makes a difference. I am not mechanically minded but I can follow instructions or a video. Some cursory googling lead me to air compressors, ranging from $45 on eBay to $125 at AutoZone.

Edit: The heater worked fine over the winter, if that's important to know.

Have you tried refilling it yet? There is a 90% chance that is your problem. You can just go to your local Autozone and buy a recharge kit for R-134s. You attach the hose to the low-side pressure port and let it refill the system. Those stupid cans used to be about $15 dollars but now they are $40 for some reason. Its highly probable that you have a slow leak somewhere too, but its easier to refill it every year or so than fixing it properly.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
WHY WONT MY 240Z START!?!?

I am trying to bring back my 240z that has been in storage for 12 years.

I put a brand new set of carbs from Ztherapy on it.
I put a new 280z distributor (removed the points).

- The car cranks.
- I see that I have spark to the spark plug using a timing light
- I have sprayed copious amounts of starter fluid in the carbs

About every 5 seconds or so of cranking I can hear a slight firing-cough.
Otherwise, it just sits there cranking like it has no spark or fuel at all.
The spark plugs are fairly new and other than a ton of carbon from failed starts, seem fine.
I am running the positive straight from the battery to the coil just to eliminate any possible complications.

If my distributor was 180 out, I would hear it firing but it would fire the wrong direction and slow/stop the engine cranking.
Even if the timing was horribly off (which I assume it is) it should still run roughly, correct?

GAAH!!
What am I missing?

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 26, 2019

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

Your firing order is off at the very least. The ignition timing may still be off.

Set it to TDC at #1 mechanically: using the timing mark on the pulley & make sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 tower, then make sure the rest of the wires are distributed to the proper cylinders by following the firing order around the cap/towers.

I know you already did this. Take a break & a deep breath & do it again.

It's not hard to screw this up when doing a new distributor install. Ask me how I know.

Lets assume, for the sake of accuracy, that I am a complete idiot and I don't know anything.
How in the world does the above happen?
1) This is a 280zx distributor in an L24 (240z) engine. Its newly rebuilt.
2) The advance/retard adjustments are nowhere near large enough to account for this variance
3) For the sake of testing, I rotated the plug wires ahead one spot but it still wasn't firing.
4) As far as I can tell, there is no way to put the distributor in 30 degrees off. It's 180 out or correct. Right?

What happened here? Did the oil pump break?

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 13, 2019

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless the L-series distributor is way different than I'm thinking of, you can easily put it in a tooth off, not just 180 out.

Edit - yeah it's pretty similar to a SBC distributor. The bottom drive for the oil pump can only go one of two ways, but the oil pump can be rotated relative to the distributor drive gear. So you're at least a tooth off.

Sorry, I don't follow. The distributor drive sits in what looks like a flathead screw from the oil pump. I never pulled the shaft from the oil pump, so I don't see how that could have moved.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 13, 2019

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

StormDrain posted:

Did you go back and start over? Making sure you have the firing order right, the rotation right, and had it on TDC of the compression stroke?

StormDrain posted:

It looks like there's a shaft that links the drive gear to the oil pump, that is separate from the distributor? Yeah if you never removed it things should be the same.

PainterofCrap posted:

You can try the quick & dirty: Set the engine at TDC per the crank pulley marks; wherever the rotor lands, that'll be where the #1 plug wire goes. If you're off by one tooth or so, this may work. Just remember to mark your distributor cap (or dist. cup) for the future.

EDIT: UPDATE: CHANGE OF STATUS.
Stupid loving L24 starts (kinda) after 11 years.
It turns out that the issue WAS that the spark plugs were one place off. I guess the P/O must have done this at some point and in my attempts over the years to get it running I must have not noticed.

When I was switching the plug wires around, I knocked loose the + from the coil. After fixing that, is (kinda) starts up with starting fluid.

Current Problem: I have new carbs from Ztherapy, however, it only seems to be running when I use starting fluid.
Not sure what seems to be going on with that.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 14, 2019

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Fun Fact: Don't wear a metal watch while working on your car. I just arked across my coil with my watch strap WHILE SPRAYING STARTING FLUID.
I am lucky that poo poo didn't explode. I now have a chunk missing from my strap.

Car still wont start.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Preoptopus posted:

Same goes for wedding rings. At least you know you have spark. Curious tho why were you trying to ether start your car with an open coil?

I should have said resistor on the coil.

MrYenko posted:

Jesus. Never wear metal/metallized/metallic jewelry when you work on stuff. There’s too many ways to injure/maim/kill you in just about any kind of motor vehicle.

Gratz on keeping all your bits intact and not on fire.

Normally, I am pretty good about that. I was actually just between events and I just wanted to check something. I saw the broken wire, fixed it, and got excited to try starting it up.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
1973 240z sat for 10 years.
Replaced fuel system and carbs.

The current problem; when started the car idles at wide-open throttle.
Butterfly adjustment screw seems to have no effect.

No, the choke isn't on and the butterflies seem closed when not running.

How is this possible?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

One gently caress of a giant vacuum leak?

In this scenario, with the butterflies closed, how is it getting enough fuel? Surely not enough for full rev would be flowing with them down?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

One gently caress of a giant vacuum leak?

meatpimp posted:

That was my thought. Air has to come in somewhere, and if the butterflies are shut, welp.

Well, the balance bar itself has a big intake on it, so I am not really sure how much a "leak" would play into this. Then again, I am stupid.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

StormDrain posted:

So this comment is a big wtf for me, what do you mean? Is there an unmetered hole in your intake somewhere because yes that is a problem. And one you could cover and see an instant change.

Also earlier you said the butterflies "seem closed when not running" is there a way to see them while it is running? Like air cleaner off and maybe a mirror or something I'd the access is weird?

There is a vacuum hose that runs to the crankcase in the middle of the balance tube. So not exactly "unmetered" but most people just eliminate that use a little K&N filter thingy instead.
Yes, I have tested with crankcase hose in place, without it and completely taped shut. It had no impact.

SU carbs make it really hard to "see" anything in there. I have to presume the butterfly are opening because it wouldn't possibly get enough air or fuel with them sealed.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
What in the holy hell is this crap?
My radiator on the 240z I am trying to get running (sat for 15 years) was spraying water out of some pinholes so I pulled it off and noticed the ENTIRE coolant system is full of some kind of poo poo.

Now, I am aware that hard water can create scale and build up, but the thermostat housing was absolutely full. I pulled another 1/4 cup of this crap out of the passage with my finger. Has anyone ever seen buildup this bad before? What could have caused it? Its crunchy like limestone grit with tiny pebbles in it.

What is the best way to flush it out without running the engine?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Here is the intake.

Only registered members can see post attachments!