Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
A little over three weeks ago, I bought a 2005 Civic sedan with 60k miles. The guy I bought it from couldn't tell me whether the timing belt had ever been replaced, so I decided to get it done immediately just in case. A day or two after I picked the car up from the shop, the belt started squealing quite a bit. I took it back and they said it was probably just the new belt stretching a bit, which is normal. They tightened it up and sent me on my way, and I didn't hear anything else until this morning, about two weeks later, when it started squealing again. It was pouring down rain this morning and I'm certain some water got splashed up into the engine compartment; if some got on the belt, could that cause the squealing? If not, and this is something I need to worry about, I guess I'll take it back to the shop and have them look at it again, but I'm not sure how long I should consider them on the hook for anything belt-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The temperature gauge on my 2005 Civic has started spiking if I let it idle for a few minutes. The first time I noticed it was two nights ago, when I was at Sonic dealing with a tot craving and I left the engine running while I waited for my food, ate it, and smoked a cigarette afterwards. All told it was 20-30 minutes of idling. When I was about to leave, I noticed that my dashboard thermometer needle was at the top of the gauge, so I turned the car off immediately. I tried starting it again, and it turned over but would not start. I left it for about 20 minutes and tried again, and it started right up and the thermometer looked normal (stayed at slightly below half). Just to be safe, I topped off my coolant reservoir: I'm not sure how much was in there (basically impossible to see) but there's plenty now.

It happened again last night. I had been driving for about half an hour with no problems, then I pulled over into a neighborhood to text and after about ten minutes I noticed the temperature gauge was at the top again. I immediately turned off the car and felt the hood: it was warm but not hot. I popped it and felt the engine and it seemed fine: again, warm but not hot, and no steam or anything. After a couple of minutes I started the car again and it fired right up: the temperature gauge was still near the top, but I started driving and it immediately started falling, returning to its normal position in less than a minute.

Possibly relatedly, I noticed a week or two ago that occasionally my heater will not blow hot air unless the car is moving.

My question to you all is: what's the deal here? From my research online, it seems the most likely issues are that I have air bubbles in my coolant system, or I have a blown head gasket. I obviously hope it's not the latter, but is there an easy and cheap way to test or check which one of these it might be? Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely? Thanks so much for reading!

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

some texas redneck posted:

Since it pegged and wouldn't restart until it cooled down a bit, you may be dealing with a blown head gasket anyway. :smith:

I'm certainly not ruling it out, but if that were the case wouldn't it happen consistently? Most of the time it idles fine and at the expected temperature.