Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CharlesM posted:

Oh boy maybe I should just buy my friend an account instead of getting info through facebook chat. I guess it is stalling at red lights. I guess the battery has been jumped at least once. Sorry I didn't have this information first!

Sounds like a weak alternator or loose serp belt combined with a near death battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Seconding the choice of wagners. They stop good, are quiet and are close in cost and performance to the "Super duper ceramics!" You will be pushed towards at a parts store. Really like anything, there is a bunch of finely detailed bullshit once you dig into it, but its not worth knowing. Get some basic vented rotors and a good set of pads

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I mixed Mercon V with Dex/Merc in my 2011 Ford ranger. How badly did I screw up? The Dipstick says use Mercon V and I thought the Dex/Merc was compatible.

Did you just top it up with the dex/merc or do a flush with it? Is is slipping at all?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I drained and refilled. It's been running fine since I did it.

The earlier version of mercon you would find in most dex/merc blends will not have the various additives and will not stand up to the same temps as mercon V. I'd say find a way to completely drain it yourself if possible (this means getting what is in the torque converter as well) or have a shop do it. If you aren't having any slippage, the fluid isn't smelling burnt on the dipstick and you don't see any metallic flakes, you likely don't have any damage to worry about. I'd just say get it all swapped as soon as its reasonably possible. If it makes you feel better, I've made the exact same mistake with dex III/VI and know what a pain in the rear end it is to waste all that perfectly good fluid and money. :shobon:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

Give unto me your advice goons!

I'm looking to buy a crew cab truck, and one popped up on a buy here type lot. I'm planning on do 100% cash (Well, bank check) for the purchase.

What I am purchasing:

2005 Chevy Avalanche 1500 Z71, 5.3L V8, 4x4, 20" black rims. Looks like there is a nice radio display, but probably not bluetooth (Sadness), but a standard DDIN, so may be easy to replace.
119k miles (according to the carfax).

Basically I went and got a snapshot of the VIN and pulled me up a carfax report.

Carfax says:

No Accidents/damage
3 owners
119k miles

Owner 1 drove it for 98k miles, and it looks like the other two owners passed it on pretty quickly (less than 2 years each).

Out of the service records (Other than inspections and standard maintenance), there were these items:
Heat shield replaced before 13k miles
Transmission, Transaxle and clutch replaced (about the same time) at 15k miles. I didn't see all three of these.
Final odometer read at 4/2013
Final registration reported on 6/2015, so the mileage will be off.

The drivetrain replacement worried me, but it looks like it was driven 100k more miles on so maybe? The dealership was looking to sell it for 12.5k, and I was hoping to buy it for around 10k (start at 9k, and work up). All the reviews I read of this vehicle were really good, and it looks like it wont' be that bad of a deal. It won't be our primary driver, as my wife and I carpool to work most of the time. There will be times it will be driven to work, but not often. The crew cab is so I can put the kids in there.

Am I making a mistake with this vehicle or should I go for it? Is my price point OK?

Oh hey, I actually have one of these turds and ita from 2005 as well. Its actually not a bad vehicle at all and most of the drivetrain components are shared with the silverados of that generation and are fairly bullet proof if well cared for (or even just paid the faintest attention over their life). I'd guess the drivetrain replacement was due to someone trying to drive in 4wd mode constantly with it, some other form of abuse or just a factory defect causing issues.
As for the wheels, I wouldn't worry too much, there are enough people who run 19s and 20s with all terrain tires on them without issue.
It can be somewhat difficult to find a good reasonably priced head unit if its loaded with nav, the bose sound system and onstar. Its not impossible though, and being willing to give up steering wheel controls makes it much easier.
For something to use while dealing, see how faded the plastic cladding around the bed is and specificly how bad it is on the 3 panels that make up the bed cover. The replacement ones from gm are ~300 for each piece and if they're missing or heavily faded, it could make for a good negotiating point to get down to at least 11500. And if they are missing, $150 and a trip to a junkyard should net you all 3. These trucks do seem to hold value rather decently, but you can get them to come down on the price rather easily I expect.
The only real issues I've seen commonly come up with this year is the fuel vapor canister vent valve loves to get clogged up with dirt and debris and throw a code. It doesn't affect the car in any way while driving, but would have to be fixed for emissions. Some people do report problems with the midgate leaking, but some replacement weatherstripping if the one on this vehicle is shot should tale care of it. Tip the rear seats forward and look under them and behind the rear seat backs to see if you can see any evidence of leaking. And if the truck has lived anywherebwith intense sunlight, the tailgate handle can snap, but its a 30 min to 1 hr job to replace it.
The only other problem? They generate alot of hate for being big, plasticly and "omg, not a real truck with a full bed, omg the bed is so small hurf blurf" (its 6 inches shorter than the base silverado's bed from the same year and its the same width), but its a drat comfy ride (more so than a same year silverado, fight me bitch :colbert:) and can be very dependable if well maintained. At 110k miles, you should expect to see the front wheel bearings going out in the next 30k or so and it should be due for new plugs and wires soonish. A check on when the fluid was changed in both diffs and when the tranny filter was last changed would also be good things to find out. If you've got any other questions, feel free to shoot me a pm so I don't wall of text this thread to death.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 18, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We use an absolutely base model frontier and versa note at work, both use standard keys. And have manual locks and windows.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

2000 dodge durango with 5.9

Customer came in to get a starter, replaced it in a parking lot, found out it was a heavily corroded battery cable causing her non start issue, cleaned it and the vehicle started without hesitation. Drove to our store to return the core and the vehicle wouldn't start upon trying to leave. You could hear the starter solenoid click very clearly once, then nothing. Battery read at 12.75-12.89 volts with the vehicle turned off and would drop to 12.3-12.5 upon trying to start. I couldn't find any obvious issues and the only thing I could think of was a wire falling off the starter or the starter somehow poo poo itself after a single start. Anyone got a guess?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm willing to accept its that, but it would be notable for dying after a single perfect start. :v:

I'd put more bets on something being misaligned, but wouldn't I still see a voltage drop as the starter motor pressed the gear into the flywheel?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That car doesn't have an inline fuel filter. Seconding the advice to grab a fuel pressure tester. If you do need a new fuel pump, grab the stainer as well.

Edit: Also, was the misfire being reported on multiple sensors or just one?

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 29, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

And as far as cars I actually can work on, 05 civic with 1.7, starts to seriously overheat at idle in a minute or so, just keeping it at 2.5k rpm lets it return to normal temp. I'm thinking that the water pump is going since it's got 110k miles on it and I filled the coolant tank.

I've had a bunch of gremlins since getting it back from my insurance's body shop when I almost decapitated a deer with my A Pillar, but this is my first real problem since then
I'd normally say it could be caused by belt slip or a failing water pump, but in this case, the water pump is driven off the timing belt. Which if you're at 110k miles, the timing belt and any pullys and tensioners should be replaced if they haven't already. Replacing the timing belt at the same time will save you money if you go through a shop, time if doing it yourself and a massive headache either way. This is because most of the time in doing the job is just getting to the pump and timing belt in most fwd vehicles and time=money in a shop.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

For the honda brake dude: Most modern rotors have enough meat on them for one whole run through the lathe, maybe 2 if the second run is literally only a polishing or removing a very thin coating of surface rust. The measurements are handled in thousands of an inch and if you take out a nasty spot, you're not leaving a ton of room. Alot of times, (honda odesseys and early 2000's ford f-150s are the worst offenders in my area) I'll go to cut something after measuring out a 5-10 thousandths difference, find a low spot/hot spot and have to take 20-30 more getting it out. Its just the way poo poo goes. Though you need to find a good independant shop to do the work, dealership pricing is always nuts.

Edit: And that $10 rotor cut is probably at an oreillys, since its the only major chain parts store that still turn rotors, drums and flywheels. You probably won't find a shop willing to let you take rotors to be turned at a parts store while your car is taking up a lift and it'll rust up in between brake jobs anyways. This means its only really an option if you are doing the job yourself.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 9, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I had a neighbor who complained about my truck having a loud exhaust because he lives at the bottom of a hill and I have to go faster than idle to get up it. I tried explaining that I was trying to be as quiet as possible when leaving in the mornings, but he refused to believe me and said I was flooring it. So I spent a week actually flooring it past his house in the mornings and now he doesn't complain to me.
Legally there wasn't poo poo he could do because the noise is below the legal limit and the HoA believes me when I say I do the best I can to keep the noise down when people are possibly asleep.
I also somehow get less attention from cops on the road. I guess because they think I'm one of the good ol' boys and not worth bothering unlike dem durned ricers kids and their tunered impert cars?
I think what I'm getting at is do whatever you what with your car, just try to not be a jackass and you won't be harassed.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 24, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Dog Jones posted:

I think what I'm gonna try and sell her is me just giving her $150 bucks, straight up. I think that is win-win cause:

1) Does she want $150 or her bumper to be minus a tiny scratch. I mean if her car being immaculate is important to her than she won't take this deal but I can't imagine why she would give a gently caress about that.
2) She gets $150 to spend on anything she wants.
3) I save like $400.
4) We get to stick it to the greedy cabal of auto mechanics. I think if I convince her we have a common enemy that will work for me during negotiations.

Failing that I'll probably do insurance.

Quoting this post since its the least rambly, but that actually looks quite reasonable for an invoice to respray an entire bumper. The labor rate is quite low, most places I've ever seen are charging $20 more than that per hour minimum, the price for paint is dead on for them using a good brand like nason (a gallon of clearcoat on its own is damned near $100, then you have the cost of the activator for the clear, the primer if needed and the actual paint itself) and the incidentals covers poo poo like trim adhesive, replacement body clips, consumables for sanding, body filler and the like. Given this is a dealership that seems to have an inhouse body shop, most likely someone felt sorry for the poor girl that got one of the most valuable possessions she owns damaged by some random goober. Quit trying to cheap out, contact your insurance company if you don't want to fork over the cash and suck it the gently caress up buttercup. Paint and bodywork is expensive, its just the way it is.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I bought a 1994 Ford Ranger a while back to haul tools and supplies around my investment properties--I never really intended to take it any farther than across town and back. Recently, a friend got a great job offer a thousand miles away, and she's offered to pay me to haul some furniture down to her new apartment for her. I took the truck into my mechanic to have him give it a checkup to see if it could make the 16+ hour trip safely, and he told me that my front bearings needed replaced before I left, to the tune of $1,100.

I've had bearings replaced in other passenger vehicles before, and the cost has never, ever even been in the same ballpark. The mechanic says the high cost is because the truck is 4WD, so it has two sets of bearings on each wheel. Given that I don't mind paying to have them replaced if it will ensure the safety of other drivers on the road (and, you know, me), my questions are:

1) Does $1,100 sound like an appropriate price tag?

2) How do I know that they actually need replaced? In every other car I've owned, when the bearings started to go bad, you could hear and/or feel it. Even at highway speeds, the truck rides like a dream. No rattling, grinding, shaking, etc.

Get a new mechanic and a second opinion at another shop. Rotor and hub assembly bullshit is annoying to deal with, but there is no legit reason to charge that much.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Alternately, replace it with a marine style battry terminal.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is probably a very dumb question, but are battery posts a standard size? I'd love to cancel the order for a $40 terminal clamp and get a cheaper marine battery clamp off Amazon if it'll work - but I don't want to delay the fix if it's not going to fit.

I've never even looked for a copper shim (or any kind of shim, really) - suggestions other than a soda can + sandpaper?

Generally yes, however keep in mind that a positive and negative terminal will be different sizes, so you'll want a pack with both in it. Also, just run up to the nearest parts store. They should have them sitting on a rack for $5-7.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Enourmo posted:

So my alternators on its way out in the protégé. Any particular brands to avoid for replacement?

13 years, 110k miles and a good 6 batteries, not a bad lifetime for the original one.

Nab one from whatever parts store will give you a lifetime warranty without a hassle. Any reman has some level of risk.

'05 avalanche 1500
What are my options for replacing a steering wheel and retaining steering wheel controls and an airbag? I know grant has a few options that look decent without being to "OMGRACE CAR STEERING WHEEL", but I seem to recall something about their steering wheels being complete poo poo in the event of an accident. Am I stuck hunting for a halfway decent one out of a junkyard?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its likely tiered as the cheapest being organics/poor quality semi-metallics, the next being whatever was oe on your vehicle and the top being a decent quality ceramic. Usually you can see some lettering on the back of the pad indicating the cold and hot performance of the pads. But basically, pay for a decent ceramic and they'll last longer than a cheap organic, be quieter and stop much better.

Edit: I least assuming advance does it similar to us.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 5, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ceramics provide a better all around performance and last longer with a good quality semi-metallic only being better for heavy duty applications like towing by reason of retaining less heat. If they are raybestos or wagner, they have a part number on the back of the pad that ends in two letters. The first letter is the coefficient of friction while cold, the second is the hot measurement. A is the lowest, with the coefficient increasing as you go up the alphabet. This is all according to the educational bullshit that raybestos, bosch. wagner and pfc put out for us, so take it as you will. :eng101:

Edit: I'm a few beer deep so I may double check this tomorrow.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 5, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

a worthy uhh posted:

'10 Mazda3 2.5L with some grinding noises and wobbling noises coming from the front passenger side, gets significantly worse with a passenger.

Took it to a local shop, they quoted me $618+alignment to replace the carrier bearing, but that sounds really steep to me. Scheduled an appointment with the local Mazda dealer for a second opinion.

Just wanted to throw it to the goon hivemind and see if that estimate sounds correct, and if the carrier bearing thing sounds accurate, because Googling confuses me on this subject.

Are you certain he called it a carrier bearing and not a hub assembly or wheel bearing?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Orvin posted:

I have a question about new car pricing. My wife has been looking at getting a new Nissan Altima. She found a dealership with Internet prices that are about $2500 less than the next closest dealership internet price. I checked the dealership listings, and it isn't just a single vehicle in that trim level that is at that price, they all are. We are talking $17.3k vs $19.8k for vehicles that sticker at about $26k.

Is there anything I need to watch out for? I am used to most dealerships in an area being within $500 on their pricing, so this has me a little nervous. Is there any hope of getting a decent value on a trade in with the low Internet price?

They'll likely be trying to make it up in various "dealer services and fees". The low price gets you in through the door, but you still wind up paying the same amount. I'd honestly avoid the dealership if they're trying tactics like that before you even enter the door.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

$5 O'Reilly oil change kit pan spotted.

It's okay I have like six of them collecting rainwater/oil mixture.

I don't know whats worse, that you noticed it or that I didn't despite working there. :v:

Also, at least you seperate it kastien, plenty have tried giving it to us full of antifreeze or water necessitating us taking a good whiff. Any contamination means the disposal company can refuse to pick it up if they want to be shitheads.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Javid posted:

My car battery turns five this month and has been slowly dying, so it's time for retirement. Walmart says these batteries fit my car. Is there any reason not to get the brand that's half as much as all the others?

I remember somebody making an effortpost about batteries semi-recently but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

IIRC, Its been remanufactured by Johnson Controls, which isn't terrible. My serious advice is to buy the battery with the longest full replacement warranty you can reasonably afford. That warranty is pretty much them telling you how long they expect the battery to last. Most one year batteries are the "I'm strapped for cash and need a battery right the gently caress now" and generally should be treated as such.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Krakkles posted:

Does anyone have a source for a wiring diagram for the (power) driver seat from a Honda Accord Crosstour? I believe it's from a 2013, based in part numbers, but I'd accept anything.

I'm hoping to rewire the harness so I can put this in my jeep and keep the power functions. It appears to have seat heaters, but I haven't pulled the covers off yet.

I'm open to cutting off the main adapter (one plug, about 13-15 pins, at the front of the seat) or even wiring directly in at the motors if needed, I just haven't had any luck getting a diagram of what does what.

If nobody has done this by tuesday, I will nab a copy while at work.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

pahuyuth posted:

The passenger turn signal/brake light is out (and all the others are fast-blinking) on my daughter's 2006 Chevy Malibu due to a blown brake light socket. I got a replacement socket (well, sort of... it's just a generic socket but the parts store said it should work with the bulb), but it has 3 wires whereas the original blown socket has 5 wire leads. The replacement has 3 white wires, labelled A,B,C and the original has 4 black wires, one green and I can barely make out A,B,C on the socket itself.

Is there any creative splicing I can do to get the new socket working? The replacement socket cost 1/3 less than an entire assembly for all 3 sockets, and it would take 4 days for the parts store to get the entire assembly. I don't want her driving around that long without everything working.

Likely not. Those sockets are intended for simple replacements where its just the basic plug or you are adding in a light somewhere and need a socket. You might hit up a local junkyard for the harness for a quick solution.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Mine is definitely going to be on the more expensive side. There's an antenna built into it. :shepspends:

So, how does one go about cracking their windshield without it looking intentional? (Aside from driving behind a gravel truck)

Porcelin off of a spark plug will spider web it pretty good. An experienced tech will probably know what you did.

I also cracked mine from the inside by chucking my phone in anger while dealing with AAA's roadside assistance. Told the insurace company my phone hit it during an emergency stop, they said ok and replaced it for free. Ymmv.

All of the above is probably illegal. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Booley posted:

Thanks! 99% came out with some buffing. I've got some primer + touchup paint + clearcoat coming to hit the spots that were deeper. For fixing the dent, it looks like I'll need to take the wheel off. I've never actually had a flat and needed to change a tire, so while I know more or less what I'm doing, do I need to get a to get a torque wrench take the lugnuts to a certain amount, or can I just crank on it with a socket wrench? (or am I just being stupid and will more contortions and not trying to do it after work let me get the liner off with the wheel still on.

You can take them off with a standard ratchet and socket, but you likely have a spare with a jack and a lug wrench that will work better due to being longer, giving you more leverage. They are torqued from 75-110 ft/lbs, so expect to have to put some heft behind it. Also, break the lugs loose and apply your parking brake/e-brake before lifting the vehicle.

When putting the wheel back on, thread the lugs on by hand and get them snugged up as much as possible before putting the vehicle back on the ground. Since you appear to have a 5 lug wheel, go in a star pattern when tightening to get the wheel seated properly. Then let the vehicle back down and finish tightening the lug nuts. You can do this with a standard ratchet or lug wrench, but if you have a nearby parts store you can opt to rent a torque wrench instead of buying one. Most of the time its a deposit that is returned in full once you return the tool. You just have to look up your torque specs and you'll be set!

Also, Hi booley! :D

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

RobBorer posted:

I'm driving down the road and my radio and gauges turn off. I pull over and shut the car off. It won't start. I get a buddy to bring a spare battery, and I drive it home. While the car is running, I disconnect the battery, and it immediately shuts off. OK, bad alternator, I assume.

I take out the alternator and bring it to an auto parts store, and they run the test 3 times and apparently it's still good. They tested my battery and said that was good too. I buy a new alternator anyway (original alternator, 2004, 230000 miles), put it in, and the car now runs fine.

Any ideas why the auto parts guy said the old one was still good? Maybe I still have a loose wire? Or the old one was only partially working?

Oh hey, one I can actually help with. The most common bench tester we'll have in a parts store will test the alternator with no load on it. This means you can have an alternator test fine on the bench and fail in a vehicle when there is a load on it. The handheld tester for taking out to a car has a few different other tests it can run if the guy operating it knows what to look for, but we are given 0 training on these and aren't expected to know it or perform them. What gierskol mentions is also entirely possible. Yours is an edge case, but I have seen this exact situation come up 2-3 times in the last year and a half. Battery test tends to be a bit more accurate on the bench tester since it will look for dead cells, put a load on it and the like, while that handheld unit will not.

Source: I work in a parts store. Sometimes poo poo fucks up and/or we make mistakes. :shobon:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Do you recall names? I would love to hear about their experiences. A full search of the forums turns up relatively little about the practical ownership of one. In particular I'm curious what the aluminum construction means for long term maintenance and the viability of owning one long term.

From what I recall, due to the construction, any damage to the rear clamshell will make it a write off since its :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux: to fix. Aside from that, I've only seen them a couple times in the wild and dream of one day owning one.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Christobevii3 posted:

Oreilly's can probably mix the paint in a pint/quart. See if they can based off of a car year model and make. If not move to a local car repair shop.

Unless you live in florida where state law prohibits us from mixing paint, along with autozone and advanced auto. Some paint places like finishmasters and some sherman williams can also mix automotive paint. Just remember that prep is massively important to getting a good paint job.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Sounds like I'm in the right place then. I'll try to get better photos and post a thread tomorrow. In a nutshell I have (some of) a 66 Chevelle that I want to be able to drive comfortably and ultimately run in the Silver State Classic Challenge at increasingly unwise speeds.

[Desire to know more intensifies]

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They're all made by like two companies, Johnson Controls and the other one that isn't Optima.

Just get whatever the book says, and has a recent date sticker on it (going to walmart sometimes their batteries sit for a year). You're shopping for the warranty, not the battery, unless you're getting RV or Marine deep cycle ones.

Optima are overpriced, but okay, but also not as good as they were ten years ago. You don't need an Optima.

Deka/east penn is the other company you're thinking of. Exide also makes their own batteries, but they are poo.

Also, johnson controls owns optima and optima's quality has bounced back nicely after some hiccups due to moving manufacturing plants. You don't need an optima though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DrakeriderCa posted:

My chebby has a (possible) problem:

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, 5.3L

There's a ticking sound coming from the engine when it's running. I think it's the power steering pump, but it's hard to isolate. Is there a testing procedure? Some way to determine if that's it?

No CEL, no change that I can see in driving behaviour (power, shifting, etc)

Mine had a noticible tick from 75k miles on. It would get more pronounced in the last 1000 miles before an oil change, but I never had any issues. Otoh, yours is the fancy version with displacement on demand and vvt gubbins iirc. In either case, check your fluid levels and if need be, automotive stethescopes are a thing. We keep 'em in stock at work since they are handy for listening to bearings. v:shobon:v

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

04 Mazda 6 Sportwagon w/ 3.0L V6
No check engine light, possible pending codes unknown. Checking this tomorrow at work.

I recently replaced the pcv valve, pcv hose, upper plenum gasket, back 3 ignition coils and all 6 plugs with new ngk platinum plugs. While putting the intake manifold back on, I snapped the far passenger side bolt. A generous helping of red rtv was globbed on, seafoam run through the intake and the car has run like a top for the last 3 weeks. This monday I got an oil change and tuesday installed a strip of led lights. On a test drive afterwards, it ran smooth as it had been since the plugs and assorted work was done. This morning while driving into town to vote and run errands, it started surging when I would come to a stop at lights, stop signs, etc. It became worse the longer the car ran and the hotter it got. However above 1k rpms, the issue disappears. This car apparently doesn't have an IACV, so the obvious things to check are MAF sensor and check for a vacuum leak, correct? Also, I've read some stuff about cleaning the throttle bodies on these cars helping with these engines, but I'm not sure if you can just push it down with a screw driver without causing the throttle position sensor to freak out and it doesn't work like a gm vehicle where having the vehicle on without the engine running will let you open the throttle butterfly by pressing the loud pedal. Is there anything else I should check and is it possible to just press the throttle butterfly down?

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 27, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

For those that are interested, I'm pretty sure I found the vacuum leak. The molded pcv elbow had split in half due to the super stiff replacement hose I put on 3 weeks ago. It had a 3/8ths sized hole in the side of it. Bodged with more of the super stiff hose I used before to get me to work tomorrow. Here is hopin'.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Hey thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow.

Do you mean the intake on the turbo, or on the engine itself (if they're different)? Such a newbie. :smith:

Don't worry, asking questions is how you learn!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Some engine degreaser, parts wash or good ol brake cleaner/carb cleaner would probably do the trick. Or you know, panther piss.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

I get the vague feeling i'm getting scammed on craigslist but I can't see the risk with my method but my wife is pretty antsy.

We've got this 1999 Dodge minivan that we've had for about a year and a half. We bought it off her grandma for a long trip with family++ that we wanted to save having to take two vehicles for.

We made the trip, and then started saving up, sold her car and bought a 2014 Honda van.

So, we need to get rid of the Caravan. There's nothing majorly wrong with it except for two things: the headliner is starting to droop and there's a knocking coming from the front right strut.
Otherwise, the body is in real good shape, everything works, it has extensive repair records. It only has 167k miles on it, so I posted it on CL Little Rock this morning for $1500.

I get a text from an Ohio number about 20 minutes after I post the ad.

code:
Hi there, i saw an ad for a  " 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan - $1500 (west little rock) " and i thought i'd inquire about it  again to confirm the authenticity of the post.
However, I don't live in the same state so is there a way we can negotiate about how I can buy the unit?
Please quote the title and price of the ad again and reply to this number (937)-265-0401 as the one i'm texting you with right now is just a work number and as well so i can know you're real.
Thanks
So I respond with the name and price and tell him I'd prefer to deal by email or text because I'm mostly deaf. I tell him the van is here ready to go in Little Rock, clean and will go to whoever shows up with cash or a cashier's check and takes it away (I hadn't researched craigslist scams at that point and didn't know about counterfeit cashier's checks.)

He responds with a request for more pictures, I send him some, and then tell him that the only issues with the vehicle are the headliner starting to droop in places and that the front right strut is clanking.

code:
Actually I would prefer that we meet and discuss it but that might not be possible.
I was asking for some more photos because first, I live in Ohio and I'm not even in town at the moment so I may not be available to make a physical inspection on the unit, but I can let my shipper do that if we can agree on a price because I want to make this a little bit of an investment to be honest.
I can invest some trust by paying you with a check and when it is cleared and you have your money, my shipper will come around to pick it up provided the condition of the unit is found to be satisfactory.
I tell him if he needs more pics, tell me of what and I'll send them.

I text him:

Price is $1500 cash to you or any representative you chose, van sold as is. Cashier check or check for the vehicle will need to be $1500 + $100 for a having to go to the bank fee. Van will sit until the check clears. When the check clears, you or your representative can take van and title.

Then he texts me back,

code:
Ok, write me a name and address for the check
I send it

code:
One last thing, it would be preferable if you could remove the ad from Craigslist for legitimacy reasons as you will be receiving payment soon.
Which seemed strange, but I agreed to do it but told him If i didn't receive the money in 7 days I'd repost the ad.

I intend to deposit the check in the bank and wait until the bank declares it cleared. I intend to inform the bank that I am waiting to hear that the check is cleared.

I'm not going to wire money to anyone for anything.

What am I missing?

Its a scam. A common one at that.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I keep some basic boo boo stuff, plus several one shot cheapo super glue tubes. Emergency stitches for when I inevitably gack myself open... again. Nail glue also works well. The scar on my palm that was a 4" long cut down into the fatty tissue of my palm that I joined with nail glue is neater than my actual surgery scar on my arm done with proper stitches. (I was broke with no insurance and no desire for more unpaid medical bill collectors calling. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

blk posted:

Keeping me up at night: how do you rotate tires on an AMG 6x6?

You buy all new ones because you're rich as gently caress and they probably dry rot before they wear enough to be an issue.