Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I took my 2009 Camry to Autotire for an oil change and tire rotation. They tell me the rack and pinion is leaking power stearing fluid and they want $1400* to fix it. Looking under the hood, I seem to have plenty of fluid. If there actually is a leak, how serious is this and how long would it take to get repaired(at Midas or something)? I was planning on taking a 600 mile trip starting Thursday and I don't want to die unnecessarily.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

*I got a second opinion and they indicated they were probably overcharging for the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

If you find a leak out suspect one at all, contact a different place and tell them you think you might have a power steering leak for X reason, but don't mention the rack replacement suggestion. Let the new place try to find the leak without bias, it may just be a hose or a non-rack-internal seal which is a MUCH simpler and cheaper job for them to take care of
Folks at Midas found no leak. I also asked them about some noise I was hearing and it turns out it was a bad wheel bearing. So I guess I owe Autotire a big shoutout. Thanks for trying to defraud me. Your employees' shitbird duplicity may have averted tragedy.