Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A manual would really be preferable, especially since we're already in the mountains and it's nicer to not roast your brakes over Donner. We'll see how this one goes, though. I'm especially intrigued by the "microwave" and "commode" and "bed" options for band touring. I'll update if we buy it.

Let me know if you'd rather have a Ford Explorer that needs an intake gasket done (leaks a bit when pushing uphill below 20F) which can now actually accelerate uphill for about half that. I don't think I'd want to take the 4.0 up Donner though. Taking it to Davis is enough of a workout. Seats are loving awesome, and it almost has a SID since its an Eddie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I have a handful of rattlecan paints from dubious sources and could buy a six pack.. No more, though.
BUZZED STYLING IS DRUNK PAINTING

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

blk posted:

Can anyone ID this car?

It looks like a Skoda.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Safety Dance posted:

You can probably find a local place that specializes in trailer hitch installation that'll do a better job for less money.

Just call your local camper/trailer reseller and see who they use (if not in shop)? They're certain to be cheaper than the dealership, and might also be able to cut you a deal if they do bulk purchasing.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Never used TUD; everyone I know of has had good luck with Dr. Colorchip.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Geoj posted:

Bought a new Interstate battery for my (2002 Black Zetec MTX) Focus at Costco and the terminals are loose as poo poo...to the point of misfiring bad once I got on the highway this morning. Managed to finally track down a set of terminal shims at AAP and even with those in place I'm still getting random misfires if I give the car more than 50% throttle.

Did they sell me the wrong battery? This is the fourth the car has had and I never had an issue with the terminals not fitting the posts on the previous three. Terminals are as tight as they can get and turn around the posts with minimal effort.

First, how stable is the wiring to the terminals? If you live in corrosion country (tm), make sure you check where the neg ground attaches to the chassis. A really quick hack to see if this is what's going on would be to ground your battery to a nice shiny bit of the engine with jumper cables, and give it a good punch. Obviously, this isn't ideal, but it's pretty telling where the problem lies.

Javid posted:

My car has piddled oil for the entire decade I've owned it, despite changing every seal and gasket that's accessible without pulling the engine out.

A dry spot on the driveway means I'm down at least one vehicle. My 2000 9-5 Aero is the biggest leaking bastard I've owned (after my godawful Ford 4.0 pushrod), but I still lack maybe a cup of oil after 5,000+ miles correcting for OCD refills.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 31, 2016

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Geoj posted:

Only problem here is it seems to start and idle just fine, it only really exhibits the symptoms at higher speeds (say, above 40 MPH.) It was fine on surface streets until I turned onto a 50 MPH highway and gave it gas to accelerate, then it starting misfiring. With the shims in place it accelerates more or less smoothly with occasional/random dips in power.

Do you have a way to track your alt's power at the same time?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Enourmo posted:

General PSA: this does not apply for anyone reading this who drives a GM vehicle with dexcool. Change it regularly, and probably go ahead and flush it all the way out with distilled water and replace with standard green antifreeze.

This. Dexcool turns into PURE CAR ACID if ignored long enough. We're talking the face melting poo poo for your car (even though it is generally a sludge). Do a complete flush and replace with green, or replace it every few months- either way, do it.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 2, 2016

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

dwarf74 posted:

Sounds real reasonable. How about if this is Baby's First Car Repair?

Just take off each part one at a time, and replace with it with the new unit until you recognize how the cap fits and know your firing pattern. Pay attention to any super short or long spark plug cables and try best to match them up accordingly.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Memento posted:

Can anyone identify the car here driven by the Lord of Flavortown?

Looks like a 2016 Camaro 'vert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Older model, the gauges give it away.

All I saw was a fat rear end in a car with a fat rear end, so I used the wheels to gauge my reply.