Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I have a 2013 honda civic coupe.
I need to travel home with it from Florida to California. I have a fair amount of stuff so I was thinking about about getting a roof rack or trailer hitch with platform. Are either of these options terrible or is one better than the other? I was thinking that the roofrack might kill my mileage but the hitch and platform may cause problems because of ground clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

How much stuff? A good (e.g. Yakima, Thule) roof rack and a (quality, professionally installed) trailer cost about the same -- $400ish. The big difference is that a roof rack's capacity will top out around 100 lbs (100 exactly per http://installation.yakima.com/) , while the Civic can tow up to 1,100 lbs*.

*Australian specifications. US Civics aren't rated to tow anything, but that's more of a cultural thing than anything. Also, don't tow 1,100 pounds for very long. Maybe 400-500 lbs is the most you'll want to actually try to tow for any kind of distance.

Think I'll go with the roof rack. I think two seabags will fit up their just fine freeing up a good amount of room.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sentient Data posted:

If a "fair amount" of stuff is enough to consider towing a trailer (especially mattresses or furniture), what about renting the smallest size moving truck and towing the car instead?

e: Disregard, then. I did a move with a station wagon's roof rack and had no issues, I'd imagine it'll be just as easy if all you need is a couple bags of space

Well navy is paying for it so the uhaul towing might be a real option.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I am failing at youtube.

I have a 1987 Ford F-150. My headlamp assembly has melted were the bulb plugs. I want to replace it but strangely removal of the assembly is not covered in the chiltons guide just bulb replacement. Any suggestions on a video tutorial?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

That should be covered in any repair manual...haynes or chiltons. Odd that it's not on youtube. But it should just be a couple of screws behind the assembly.

Edit: It's also probably almost identical to every F-series for 20 years on either side.

Yeah my chiltons only has bulb replacement.
The light assembly is universal from only 87-91ish before the style changed.
Thanks for the bolt info. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The way it mounts remained the same well into the 2000s though (at least 2003), if I remember right. The cab and front clip sheet metal (under the body panels) remained the same for over 30 years.

The photos cursedshitbox posted are from his own 1990, which uses the same housings as your 87.

Oh excellent. I was afraid I would have to remove more but I'll just have to search around for those 4 bolts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So I got the replacement assembly from the junkyard but surprise the part was mildly busted. At least the bulb housing was good but it required a lot of extra time to create one good assembly out of my original one and the junk yard replacement. The light plugs in and works now.

Final thing. I can't get the collar over the plug and on the housing. Any suggestions? I feel like it shouldn't be forced but I don't really know.

These are the spare pieces I'm fooling around with.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Breakfast Feud posted:

I'm pretty sure these are just a pain in the dick, I recall working with them at some point (I want to say it was on my old Ranger?). Is the other one still on the headlight? if so take a look at how it lines up. I think they only go on one way and it really sucks to line them up.

Lol the other one was missing but I ended up forcing the spare over it after watching some videos of the next generation version. Apparently it pops on. Got on both one without breaking anything but it took a little force.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Butt Reactor posted:

Any suggestions on tracking a stolen car? My mom's 96 Civic (a DX base sedan with 350k miles on it :psyduck: ) was abducted this morning out of her carport, and both the police and insurance said lately 94-96 civics tend to be a hot item. I've already perused craigslist and the like to see if it shows up anywhere, but I'm really thinking it's headed towards a chop shop. I know I can't do much, but if anyone with auto skills can think outside the box it would be you goons.

Put an add in craigslist looking to buy a 94-96 civic for a project car high engine mileage ok for about $500 more than it would get for parts/scrap.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Butt Reactor posted:

Done, I like the way you think: https://tinyurl.com/h3283nn

Good luck! Would have also added willing pay with some sort of pistol too if it's legal in your state to make face to face transfers.

example
$1500 or $1100 with gen2 glock 19

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 14, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gonna do my first tune up on my old 302 very soon. Suggestions on proper spark plugs and good quality gauge so I don't feel too dumb at the store?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

totalnewbie posted:

Nah, there's some truth to that. Combustion can be a tricky thing but basically you want peak combustion pressure to be at a certain point and, frankly, the engine was developed with the low ignitability plugs.

Would these be the proper style of plugs for a 302?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

everdave posted:

Just get Motorcraft plugs/wires whatever from the cheapest source you can fine (Amazon, advance auto with online coupons, whatever) and you will be fine

Thanks. I like cheap.

Also gently caress pulling a windshield wiper motor on a 87 f150. The link between the motor and the assembly siezed up something horrible and wont crack. I'm watching videos and yup it's universally terrible placement and metallurgy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah just curious I figured there might be some sort of new opinion that may over ride a 30 year manual.

Tune-up and oil change is my next project. Kinda fun getting back under a hood. Haven't tinkered with a car since 98 and that was with my 72 super beetle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

New windshield wiper motor installed but not working. My first instinct is a fuse. After that pinched/bad wiring. Any other ideas?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Preoptopus posted:

See if it's getting 12 volts. How did you condem the old one.

Thanks guys.
Was accepted as a core exchange. It was in awful shape.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Razzled posted:

What's the typical way to measure/adjust the pulleys for a serpentine belt?

89 F150 w/ 5.0 V8. I took a peek at the engine on a whim the other day after finishing a drive and noticed that the the belt had 1-2 ribs off the edge of the air pump and CS pulleys.

I put the belt back and ran it a bit more and checked again, it seems the problem starts at the CS pulley. Is there an easy way to realign it? I can't find anything in my service manual

Hey 8th gen truck buddy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is the bolt ferrous? Apply a strong magnet over the patch with the solvent.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Javid posted:

I had a headlight like that, wound up just drilling a hole in the top and bottom so whatever water did accumulate could just drain out. Worked fine until a deer suicided onto that headlight and I had to replace the whole assembly anyway.

So simple. Thanks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So I live in the countryside a little bit in the PNW. A few hundred yards of dirt driveway but we don’t get snow plowed when it does occasionally snow. I’ve had a 2016 VW Tiguan AWD and while i do love it it’s also a lease and it’s time is up. Don’t think I want to own a VW so I’m looking at other small SUV.
Seems to me I got the choice of a Subaru Crosstrek, Honda HRV or Mazda CX3 for all wheel drive. I was gonna get a manual to keep my hands busy during my commute but the gas savings on the autos seem to be substantially better. If I plan on keeping it for 120k/10 years what would guys suggest. I’ve test driven them all and I miss the HP of the Tiguan but otherwise they all felt sturdy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kei?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Uthor posted:

My VW uses pink coolant. What does one need to drink so their urine can be used in a VW?

A punch in your kidneys.