Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Somehow my wife managed to snap the hood release cable on my 1996 F350. I can't seem to get at the end of it from inside the cab, and I can't seem to pop the release by reaching through the grille either. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Stepdaughter's.

Replace, right? Not driveable? Appropriate response to her father who told her to "just stay off the interstate?"

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

spog posted:

'That's why I am the better father.'

Sigh. That makes the bill new taillight cluster, plugs, wires, new ignition cylinder, new wheel (+ mount and balance), and probably an oil change because God alone knows when it was last done. All this for a vehicle about which I said, "I don't care if he buys you a car but I'm not paying your insurance or fixing the bugger when it breaks."

But enough family drama. Thanks -- if it's not worth beating back into shape I'll see what I can find on Ebay.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

kastein posted:

Bent aluminum wheels are junk no matter what, but steelies can be straightened a few times if you know what you're doing and are a skilled driver.

That'd be a "replace," then, on both counts. Maybe my tire guy will give me a few bucks for the bent wheel. I found a new (well, junkyard) on ebay for $65 shipped.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
The saga of my step-daughter's car (with the bent wheel) continues. While removing it last night I discovered some monkeyhanded dogfucker had crossthreaded two of the lugnuts.

Is this what I need to get the studs out, or do I need something with only one "side?" Car is a 2000 Toyota Solara, and it is a front wheel, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Geoj posted:

Did you get the lug nuts off? If so all you really need to do is remove the rotor and then drive the lugs out of the hub with a hammer, taking care to tap them out instead of going to town on them with a sledge hammer (beating on the hub and attached parts isn't the best thing for the bearings.) Installation of new lugs can be done either the same way or use a pile of washers and a lug nut to pull them back into the hub.

Oh, that's not so bad. I indeed removed the lug nuts, although both came with a bonus small piece of stud. There's probably enough still there to get a lugnut to bite, but this is the stepdaughter's car and if the wheel falls off she will probably die horribly.

Is it OK to just replace the two that were cross-threaded, or should I do all five? The other three were not overly tight (in fact, they were a bit on the loose side).