Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
A colleague is translating a text which has the following sentence:

During competition, a car produces around 80 decibels. The distinct ­whining sound comes primarily from the gearbox (sequential gearing, straight screw drive) and motor.

I'm trying to help her with the 'straight screw drive', but I'm coming up short. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

InitialDave posted:

What's the original language and text for "straight screw drive"?

She is translating an English text (from a tourist magazine, I believe) into Danish. I'm afraid I don't know if it's a text that's been translated into English from a third language, but it seems likely with these weird terms.

I don't have access to the full text (and she's not working on it right now since it's getting on 11pm here), but there was another bit in the text that dealt with adjustable brake force recovery, so I'm guessing that the theory about an older diff with a worm drive isn't the answer. I thought about the worm drive too and suggested it, but with the major caveat that I just don't know very much about cars.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I'm wondering if it could have something to do with something like this http://m.schaeffler.com/content.mobile.products/en/products/automotive/chassis/bsd/bsd_info.html or this http://www.airoil.com/products/view/243/tolomatic-gsagsm-series-guided-screw-drive-actuators.html

I'll let you know if I find out any more from here. It's driving me nuts.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a mistranslation that mistakes the word for a screw-drive gear, with the word for the shape of normal transmission gears - "helical."

Helical gears are used, in part, because they're much less noisy than straight-cut gears; but they're still not silent.

If you want to hear what straight-cut gears sound like, drive your car in reverse. The reverse gear is usually straight-cut, and it's much noisier and whinier. Some race cars deliberately use straight-cut forward gears (I think it's a stronger setup? Can deal with more torque?) and they're noisy as gently caress.

I'm pretty sure you've got it. I did a little more research after reading your post and found this - http://automotivethinker.com/transmission/straight-cut-gears-vs-helical/ - and coupled with what else I've found, that's the answer that makes the most sense.

Thanks, everyone. Maybe I can sleep now!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Update:

So yeah, the article in question was written in English about EV racing by a journalist who has English as a second language and no knowledge of cars, electric or otherwise. I'm guessing he/she just regurgitated what they were told and got things confused. Thanks so much for all your help.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Has anyone heard from kev (barlas) in the last six months? I'm getting worried...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Thanks! Awesome.