Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Crossposting from the BMW thread because I'm stressing over here.

So I'm in a jam here. My 1995 530i won't unlock with the key.

I pull the exterior handle up on the driver door and the interior light comes on. I turn the key counter clockwise in the driver door lock and nothing happens. I turn the driver door lock all the way clockwise and it makes the noises you would expect as it activates all the locks.

I've tried the emergency unlock procedure but i can't get the lock to budge.

Another twist is that the original key for the car is in the ignition because I have that problem where if I take it out, I might have to spend a good 15 minutes getting it to turn and start the cars so I leave it in.

Also, the driver door is not the original. The original driver door developed that problem where the door check rips out so I replaced the door with one from another car so it has a different key than the rest of the car. I have that key in my hand but it suddenly does nothing now.

So the key for the passenger door and trunk is in the ignition and the key for the driver door is in my hand but will not unlock the door.

I even called my insurance and the company they sent out couldn't do anything because they were trying to unlock the car with the interior locks but the car is double locked so that does nothing. Neither of the two guys they sent out had a slim jim which I think should have worked if they had one.

What do I do? This loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

CharlesM posted:

Or hold the key in the unlock position for a few seconds, it may start to roll down your windows.

Unfortunately, that wasn't a feature on E34s.

Safety Dance posted:

Failing all of the above, smash a window.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid I'm going to have to do. I have parts car that is the same color so I think the easiest thing to do at this point is going to be to is to break the window on the passenger door and then swap the entire door over. I already used swapped the driver door over from the same car, otherwise I would break that window and swap that door.

If I do get inside the car and turn the car on, should that let me unlock the doors from the inside?

Also, what would be the best way to keep this from happening again until I can track down the actual problem? Can I just pull a fuse to disable the central locking?