Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I'm currently renting a 2016-17 Nissan Altima while my Mazda is in the shop after being hit. I noticed the other day a small underbody fin just in front of the passenger wheel was loose (plastic bolt is gone, looks like). Went to look again today and 3 (!!) loving panels are now loose. At least 1-2 more bolts/fasteners are gone. Does anyone know for sure what size/type I might need?

I'm not doing anything crazy in this car, I promise, but I'd rather fix this myself than risk tearing up the panels and/or paying some exorbitant fee to the rental place when it goes back. I managed to pop one back onto a bolt that's still there, hoping it will hold long enough to make the lengthy trip home to some ramps and where I can easily ship parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Black zip ties sound like a pretty good solution here, if you're that worried about it.

I drat sure don't want to get charged. The one bolt that's still in wasn't accessible from the backside, the others I'm not sure, worth a shot though.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

This is funny man. They will not give a crap when you return the car. They'll do a cursory check then you'll have no liability. They are not gonna check the underside.

I dunno, they did a pretty thorough going over when I picked it up, and I honestly saw it from about 100 ft away. One panel was drat near on the ground, so I figured might as well tidy it all up.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Are there any rules of thumb to used car buying now? Went with cash, ready to negotiate, was told cash doesn’t mean poo poo anymore and there’s little negotiation to be had. It’s the (fake) internet price with a couple of considerations possibly thrown in.

I’m bummed because I’ll have to wait and save a while longer (to avoid any finance hassle/charges), but all part of the learning curve I suppose.

Are there particular times of month/year where the deals should get better? Starting to think I’ll have to private sale my old car too, not looking forward to that.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

opengl128 posted:

The bringing cash thing only really applies for private sales. If you're buying at a dealer its not going to be much different than buying new.

And they get kickbacks if you finance so just do that then pay it off right away, just make sure there's no penalty for doing so, but that's pretty rare these days.

It doesn’t seem like financing gets you any additional considerations though, does it?
My wife is vehemently opposed to anything of the sort (despite paying it off in short order and so incurring only modest interest payments, as far as I can tell). So I’m probably stuck for now. I’m a bit leery on private sales, plus there isn’t a good online source for them (even Craigslist is overrun with dealer poo poo).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Is craigslist the best avenue for private? As long as I can get a car checked out before I buy, I’d probably be in. I get nervous with the way lots of people treat their cars.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Motronic posted:

I think you nailed it.

There’s bound to be legal liability in shaving tires too, and not enough demand to pay for a machine that does it, I’d think.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Wasn’t sure if this would be the right place, but hybrids: worth it or no? I’ve been doing some number crunching but interested in others’ experience and opinions. Also found a site called fuelly where people report their mpg. Not huge data sets but neat to have.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Depends on the application. If you do a lot of short around town trips in stop-and-go traffic, it can run mainly off electric and you can recharge at home, hardly ever touching the ICE.

If you do a lot of long highway trips, it won't make much difference in gas mileage. It helps some, but not hugely.

The hybrid system lets them use a smaller ICE tuned for optimum mileage because the electric motor can kick in to add additional torque when necessary. You will save on gas overall, but probably not enough to pay off the premium price on the hybrid over the life of the car. Some are better than others on that, so it may be economically positive on some models.

Most auto makers are skipping hybrids and going straight to BEVs, since battery technology continues to improve.

The main value of a hybrid is that you get the quick refuel times of an ICE with the high efficiency EVs for in-town driving. I would go with a hybrid over a full BEV at this point, myself. Hybrid vs. non within the same model would depend on the model.

Thanks, the numbers aren’t as friendly as I’d like but I really like the notion of lower emissions and better MPG. Right now I’m looking at ~2018 Camrys, was going to go older but I like the latest model’s upgrades. I have an offer for a 2018 hybrid XLE for $23,500 at 25k miles, and I was going to roll towards a regular model but for a decent trim and lower miles, I don’t end up too far below that. It will be mostly city driving and traffic these days.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Does anyone here have a 2017/18 Camry Hybrid or Accord Hybrid (or hell, even an 18/19 Gas Camry)? Was curious about experience, MPG, etc.

Heard the gas Camrys shift really hard/rough and the hybrid will be better overall, but I’m always curious to learn more from how they do irl. Also heard the 17 Accord’s screens are maddening and the engine is noisy/slow to respond, while the 18 is rumored to have a wildly inflated MPG rating.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Alright, I’m gearing up to do my first oil change on my 2017 Accord hybrid. Is there any real point to paying more for a Mobil filter rated at 20k miles vs Fram at 10k? Right now I’m at almost 11k since purchase and car showing 15% on the oil (hoping this is decent data from the car on the oil, it’s not a pre-set interval AFAIK). I get the media may be better, just wasn’t sure it would prove out in the real world.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

It's a canned count down. You could have bacon grease in there and it will still say 15%.

So it’s just set to like 12k miles? I started at 100% at just over 14k miles, right now about 25200, been on 15% for 200+ by now though. I was figuring maybe switching to electric was extending the life. My old Mazda was a set interval and I never bothered using the reminder, thought this might be more “intelligent” but...

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the brother wants safety and modern features so yes if he's willing to just... not have those things sure that would work

That’s why you have a passel of kids.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

How long would an engine need to idle to circulate added antifreeze? Going to top mine up if I can before record cold and wanted to let it idle and circulate, if that will even get the job done.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

It's circulating when the temperature gauge on your dash starts moving. Maybe five or 10 minutes.

Thanks, much obliged

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Does anyone have a compact jack and tire tool they like? I changed my mind on my 17 accord hybrid and had a good tire put on a steely, but want a tool set that will fit inside. Amazon’s top two choices are highly rated but the top reviews all say they are dangerous poo poo and could fail and injure you. Not planning to use for under-car work, but still.

If anyone has any recommendations for foam to put under the trunk bottom panel cover (around the edge) that lays over the top of the spare well, that would be awesome too. Full size pushes that panel an inch or so higher than the surrounding trunk floor, I’d like to support it so it doesn’t break.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Uthor posted:

I got the jack recommended by Wirecutter.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-gear-for-a-roadside-emergency/

I used it on my mom's CR-V and it felt a little dicey when extended that far, but I think it'd be alright for changing a tire on a sedan.

If "tire tool" you mean lug wrench, I bought a long breaker bar and a socket of the correct size and carry those with me. Get more torque than on a compact wrench.

Thanks. That’s one of the ones with dicey reviews from Amazon, so I’m not sure. I will definitely try a lug wrench.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I am looking as well, but most places don’t have more current year models (to the point I’m guessing there’s got to be something legal about having newer year models). I’m going to call and ask one place tomorrow, but I’d almost have to have it shipped as it’s 2 or more hours away. Is there any way to gauge jack compatibility across years/models? I’m guessing same body style would work but I don’t know about Accord vs Civic vs whatever else.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

2017 Accord Hybrid randomly refused to start in tire shop bay, full Christmas tree on the dash, couldn’t put in gear. Jumped and been running since, will start now but I guess replacing battery is the best first step?

Completely out of the blue, car started fine getting to shop and again into the bay. I just don’t want to be a sucker spending $200+ for a battery (Duralast gold, seems like best option near me). I’ve had the car 3 years, possible this is the OEM battery from manufacture, can’t be sure. Researched some (issue seems to happen with Honda hybrids) but still apprehensive.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Sorry, first stop tested it, machine said voltage regulator bad (twice), talked with dealer, they said likely bogus. Went to second store (left running) because they had a higher tier battery. Tested the battery once disconnected, showed bad.

Guessing this is just old/odd enough maybe the battery isn’t super common now? There were actually two configurations of the battery, tech had to go back and get the right one.

I don’t know battery brands well anymore (obviously I’m super outdated because I’m always surprised at a 3-year life). Couldn’t get diehard platinum (brief search), didn’t want Walmart (past experience and general opinion), Interstate as I recall isn’t what they used to be, this duralast gold isn’t one I would’ve picked out, but my options were looking pretty limited.

E:

builds character posted:

buy that and don’t think about it.

I am very, very bad at this part especially.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 9, 2022

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Has anybody messed with the new and miraculous! home ceramic coatings?
I’m just starting to notice swirling and I have some other scratches, figure I’d like to do something a bit better than straight wax (if that’s even a thing) that might hold for a while without paying $1k+ for my accord.

Thanks to everyone for battery advice…50 pages ago :cheers:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Apologies if I’m in the wrong thread on this one: how is the used car market now? Is it still absolute madness? Any prospect of improvement going forward? Looking to buy an older something to haul kids/dogs/crap around, but don’t have to buy now.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Any recommendations for car history reporting? Carfax is robbery for an individual.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Stupid question from my tired brain: would the best way to have bumper stickers without worrying about later removal be to simply lay down a bit of vinyl (or something) and stick it on top?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Can't help but feel it was some sort of ham fisted shake down attempt.

Honestly this usually ends up being some bad mix of incompetence/inexperience and fear (of liability in this case). Otherwise it would be a slightly less bad shakedown.

And +1 for Discount Tire. They will sit and look that sort of poo poo up with you, let you read reviews, etc before you decide.

Will be looking up magnet sheets, thanks y’all.

Anyone here ever ordered/installed either clear vinyl wrap as a bra or stripped interior to lay down the adhesive-backed sound dampening stuff? Seems like you can get decent quality material from China for a decent price, I’m just not sure of the difficulty in application for someone who’s never messed with it. Saving several grand having it done seems appealing though.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

How bad is it to remove door panels and replace them so they’re not all janky? My potential project will have a hatch and I’ve heard the roof can use it too. I’m a pretty big cheapo but these from China seem good, could be wrong though:

Car Sound Deadener Mat 5/10/15mm
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP97UkC

10 Sheets Sound Deadener 5mm
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP1H27O

2nd claims to be butyl for sure.

I guess most of the savings are in labor at the end of the day too, eh?

Is MLV used in auto applications? If it made sense to do while I’m in there I might. It’s mostly the panels/headliner I’m worried about.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't blame you, it's such a joyful little shitbox. And yet the vast majority were ordered with that miserable four-speed auto.

You wanted a shitbox, you get one! I had a 3 hatch and I miss it sometimes, hence looking at also-very-old-and-quirky Elements, for which I will also have to travel a silly distance unless I’m super patient (which I do not appear to be).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I actually have some cheap Chinese stuff on the way over to me at the moment. I'll let you know how poo poo it is when it gets here. It was cheap as gently caress so I thought I'd try it.

:coal:

I got some clear vinyl to use on door handles, sills, and edges, have to see how it is too. really need to go wash and get a really good wax on first though. Previous owner scratched the poo poo out of door handle…wells? Think my crew have killed the sills, better late than never though.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

If they’d give me a better price to finance, maybe ok. Otherwise kick rocks with that poo poo. The car sales game is so openly predatory but they know most people won’t have a choice.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I just want to say, trying to buy online, remotely, sucks rear end. Find something good? Yanked out from under you. And dealer prices are still pretty stupid.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Car Seat Question after too much Googling -

My Spark has an armrest built into the driver's seat. It doesn't have any visible way to remove the arm, or to access how the arm attaches to the seat.

Unfortunately, the armrest sits about an inch lower than I'd prefer. I would like to figure out a way to make it sit just a little bit higher, and I feel like there must be some extremely easy way to do it that I'm overlooking.

Is there something obvious I could do to make it sit just a bit higher? Some Chevy seats have a circular cover that pops over the bolt attaching the arm rest to the seat. That's not the case in my car.

Shoot man just tape a big ol’ tall piece of foam on top :banjo: cover it with similar cloth if you’re into them there “aesthetics”

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

opengl posted:

I got no magnets with my past 3 orders, fuckin sucks

Thanks Obama

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Having an ultra-lovely time buying online remotely. Avoid it if you can.

Anyone out there familiar with Honda Elements (and/or at least that engine)? Looking at one and have video of it running but it’s been so long since I was around an engine that old I can’t tell if it sounds alright or not.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah mine always checks the door jamb and even asks beyond that.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Do y’all have a preferred car cover? Need something that will be on the majority of the time outdoors. Don’t have garage space for the new Element but the sun, etc. here are brutal AF.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Back for another dumb question: how long after refilling a battery with distilled water should it take for the voltage, etc. to improve? Can’t find a straightforward answer online.

They told me when I bought this replacement that it was sealed and wouldn’t require it, and I never dug under the cover to see that it covered up caps.

Lately all my driver assist programs are failing on every start up (with the rare exception of several short trips in a row). Low voltage seems to be the root cause, but battery cranks the car and runs everything else fine. I don’t want to have to pay out the rear end to get this tracked down (no formal codes), so I’m hoping this might yet be the trick.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

randomidiot posted:

What kind of voltage are you seeing with key on/engine not running (i.e. turn the key to run to where everything comes on, but don't start the engine)? What about with it running at idle immediately after starting it (by immediately I mean in the time it takes you to get from the driver's seat to the battery)?

There's a chance you have a loose battery cable that's causing voltages to wander all over the place. Or a bunch of corrosion on the battery terminals. But a voltage check is the first place to start.

I have been searching for my fluke meter for weeks, finally gave up and bought a cheap replacement, should be here tomorrow.

Warnings randomly went off yesterday while running errands (several short trips) and actually stayed off when I started it over 24h later. I wondered if maybe a few sharp turns had shifted something. But it came back on next restart (I sat and idled for a long time, probably a bad experiment). Checked battery water levels again, totally fine.

Terminals are very tight and covered in both lube and the red spray, plus washers, no corrosion at all. If there’s a short or something, it’s further down the line. Tracing that would be a nightmare. It’s push start but I’ll try it through all the modes.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

randomidiot posted:

What kind of voltage are you seeing with key on/engine not running (i.e. turn the key to run to where everything comes on, but don't start the engine)? What about with it running at idle immediately after starting it (by immediately I mean in the time it takes you to get from the driver's seat to the battery)?

There's a chance you have a loose battery cable that's causing voltages to wander all over the place. Or a bunch of corrosion on the battery terminals. But a voltage check is the first place to start.

12V while off
11.8 while in accessory
14.44 on start up
Same when motor kicks on

This is a hybrid with push-button, which I’m sure will make it all the more fucky. I wish I had confidence that demanding to try a fresh battery at autozone would actually happen. All this running around I may have lost my drat receipts too

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Well it’s less than a year old, so it ought to be under warranty. I’d like to hope they won’t give me trouble on it but we’ll see. Gotta hunt down the receipts again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Replaced my battery (with a lower tier, they apparently aren’t any direct swaps anywhere in their entire network). On the way home the warning lights started then went off. Annnd now they’re back :(

Guess I’m gonna have to go get codes read again and see about sourcing the part(s). Not sure if wise to try and grab a junkyard one or not (been doing that lately for my Element, maybe totally pointless here).