Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

My 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport needs a clutch and exhaust. I'm planning on doing the clutch myself, and as part of that I'll be disconnecting the exhaust. Is exhaust replacement something I can do myself (buying the tubes pre-bent I suppose) or should I just take it to an exhaust place? I don't need anything special, this is not a performance vehicle.

e: I'm doing the clutch myself to save money. I like DIYing stuff and have a welder but I'm not especially excited about the exhaust as a project, just as a way to get it done.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I am definitely not sure, it seemed like it might be handy so I mentioned it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Recommend jumper cables. I had to use mine today and was reminded that the insulation cracked in a bunch of places last winter and they are held together by just copper strands now. I'd like to buy a set that will remain flexible at -10F.

e: I just want to buy something known to be decent and avoid whatever the monster cable equivalent is

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 29, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are you looking for some "emergency type kit" stuff or firing off a car in your driveway?

Emergency side of the road mostly, with a rare use in the driveway.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Is there an auto insurance thread somewhere?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Important clarifying question: is is a Land Rover or similar?

I'm loving how many ways I can imagine this being interpreted.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

theHUNGERian posted:

Is there a life hack that allows me to turn on the air pump at a gas station without having to beg the attendant for it?

I guess live in my town? They are almost all free and always ready to go.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

Does Weather tech have a patent on that poo poo? It amazes me that there is almost nothing competitive to their offerings.

If you search for "3D car floor mats" you can find a few competitors. I couldn't find one that had mats for my older car but weather tech did so I got theirs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

My coworker has a 2013 Ford Fusion with a dead instrument cluster display. It looks like I would need to use the Ford IDS system to reprogram a used cluster to match her car / keys. I bought this hardware for my Volvo:

I see I can buy the same thing but with "Ford IDS" on the label instead of "powered for vida". It looks like the same thing but with a different DVD included. If I can acquire the Ford software, will this hardware work?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

You could try escalating things to Kia of America. It looks like they respond to tweets to @kia. At 28k miles I would be pissed and they should be bending over backwards to help you IMO.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Are you using the auto-hold feature when you are shutting the car off?

Guessing you've seen this one? It has some ideas on getting it to release:
https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/...release.338752/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I can tell I'm going to learn something in the next few posts

beautiful gifs btw

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Torque says 134 HP @ ~4500 rpm, specs say 209 HP @ 5000 rpm
0-60mph = 11.5s, specs 8.6s

I forgot to add in ~200 lbs of driver plus random stuff, thats about 5%

Google says automatic transmission is 86% on the low end

134 * 1.05 / .86 = 163 HP which seems pretty low

I haven't used torque is awhile and I haven't do any kind of calibration beyond entering vehicle stats. Am I thinking about this right? How do I go about finding where the power leaked out?

e: I think the weight I used also doesn't include 3rd row seating, premium sound, nav, and a few other things that probably add up to a 100-200 lbs

taqueso fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 24, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Related to my last post, can anyone recommend a good general book about ICE design, performance, and tuning? I'm thinking something engine agnostic that I can read to get some base knowledge on everything, maybe a textbook.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ouch that looks pretty nasty. What's the diameter of the area missing paint? I can't imagine being right on top of that corner is going to make it any easier.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I want to get some high-temp wire and 2-conductor cable to go in the engine bay, where is a good place to buy that where I can be sure I won't get some knockoff crap?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Works for me, thanks.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

As someone who learned everything he knows through experience, old greybeards, and the internet, I too would be interested in something like this. Would be interesting to see how many false concepts I've taken for granted over the years.

Check your PMs

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

If only there was a way to detect if the car was in gear

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I got some C5W festoon LED replacement bulbs. They work OK in the footwells, but the dome lights are PWM controlled and these have some flashing going on that isn't visible with incandescent. And when the car is running but the lamps are turned off, these are shining very dimly. I'm guessing the Off PWM state actually has a very small duty cycle like 0.5%. Oddly, no flashing when that's happening.

Can someone recommend another brand to try? This car needs a bunch of these bulbs so inexpensive is appreciated but if I know they'll work I'd spring for OSRAM or something.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

How many miles are on the highlander in total?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

This is something you could diagnose yourself if you have an interest in doing so.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

Straight pipe means it just has exhaust tubing without any mufflers.

So if I'm selling a car where the muffler rotted off, I can say has a straight pipe?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I want to examine/check all the things that make up my car, so I can find out if there are any hidden issues. Is there a big checklist I could consult?

Also interested in the answers to the oil question above.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Is thinning out the oil for winter a thing? The PO of my car said they were running 0W30 instead of 5W30 in winter.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

The PO was from the PNW and recently moved to Nebraska so maybe he was being extra prepared.

I might be misremembering, but is 0Wxx oil a semi-recent thing to be generally available?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I thought it was engine is cold vs warm, not winter vs summer?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I found what Volvo says:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

zaepg posted:

Ty for the quick reply. Just found out my horn stopped working today as well.

I had problems with blown fuses and strange electric stuff (in an old nissan/datsun pickup) when the voltage regulator went bad.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

This is from the Taycan review video posted in the EV thread:

I gather this type of system exists on more than this car. What magic makes it possible to get those views of the car?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's incredible. And the aftermarket stuff isn't even super expensive. Another thing I didn't know I needed.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

How much is the kit and what does it include? Looks like you can buy remanufactured injectors at AutoZone for $50 each. (For a comparison, not that you need to buy injectors)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

yeah i'd pass on that

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

could you get a photo of it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I think I can understand why someone might want to fix the bullet hole in their car

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

put bullet holes in all of them imo

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD, ~165k miles

Clunking from front end, related to wheel speed. Seems like its coming from driver's side. If I turn left or go straight, the clunk feels like its in the wheels. If I turn right, the sound changes a bit and it feels like its coming from closer to the center of the vehicle.

Some speeds are worse than others, doesn't seem to be related to bumps in the road.

What should I look at to diagnose further?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 15, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

2004 Volvo XC90
clunking from front end

Embarrassingly it was loose lugs on the wheel, which I had off the vehicle a couple days ago.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

you've got like 5 inverted mini hemis there, probably good for 10-15 hp boost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

I ended up buying private and found a MUCH better car than I was initially looking for. With no drama bullshit.

I had to be patient, watch Craigslist for a couple weeks and drive 100 miles but I was worth it.

«4 »