Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
It's the B5254T2, 2.5L from 2003

So far I checked the spark gap and it's > 30kV on all the coils. There is fuel pressure at the manifold when I open the schrader valve on the side of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

These seem ok to me and checking a spark plug chart, anything look amiss here?

I'll get my hands on a fuel pressure tester.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

From a google, 2017 is a year where honda used soy-based rodent-tasty wiring. I haven't heard of rodents specifically being attracted to the exterior plastic, but maybe they wanted what was inside? I did see reports of Honda paying for repairs w.r.t. the soy wiring.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 15, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

zundfolge posted:

Google “Volvo lawnmower syndrome” and try some of the solutions people suggest at your discretion/peril. It sounds like a textbook case. Your plugs look old but they’re OK otherwise.

This happened to my 850 a long time ago and it took several sessions of extended cranking to get it to finally catch and fire up.

Thank you! This was it, I cranked it for like 20 seconds with the pedal down and it sounded like it might go (and i could see the tach bounce from 0 to like 100) so I kept at it for another 15 seconds and then it started!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Wire insulation, not the actual wire. I did see that the class action was denied. The article I was reading said Honda paid for that owners repairs but maybe that was before it became a big thing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I randomly ran across a page listing common mods for a volvo S40, first on the list was a "panel air filter". Is that something special beyond a normal filter that is a rectangle and not a cone? The stock filter looks like a panel, so I figure it must mean something special.

I'm just curious, I don't have an s40

Bonus question: I was driving behind a Jetta or Passat with a huge exhaust, not just a huge tip. It sounded pretty good but it would crackle sometimes like popping a fistfull of bubble wrap. Was that a bunch of tiny backfires?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 16, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You can do it at your bank.

e: vv yeah their bank is better

taqueso fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 18, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Are there practical reasons for preferring a rubber valve stem or aluminum valve stem when buying TPMS sensors?

(for a brand new TPMS setup, car doesn't have any support built in)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Are there any non-steel materials that could be used for rotors that would also be usable as a daily driver? I assume no or blinged out cars would have carbon or fluoro green ceramic rotors.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

steel pads and ceramic rotors?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

2004 volvo xc90 2.5T

I figured out what the other two circles are (evaporative emissions hose), but what is the top right circle (the one with messed up insulation)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What is the purpose of the insulation? What happens if it wasn't insulated at all or if it was insulated extra well?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The one linked doesn't even have laser jamming smdh

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My understanding is that the device itself isn't because there isn't an appropriate agency to regulate it if you stay under power limits. But I only found out they existed from that cannonball run video from before covid. It's probably not super legal either, once you use it for it's intended purpose I imagine you break other laws.

I'm not recommending anyone get one, I just wanted to shitpost about laser jammers because they are cool and I didn't realize the tech was even there until recently

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 23, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Paintless Dent Repair

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Why do plugs have different gaps? It seems like the gap is much much smaller than the distance the arc can travel.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks for the effort post!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

For cheapest, I think I'd see how it looked with some wax in the scratches. Second cheapest, compound like they say above

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

nm I misread that

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

ok i need to go to bed...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What's the purpose of the currogated portion? Thermal management?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

In my area, there are a couple welder / fabrication places that I know do good work and I would go talk to them. they aren't car specific, and I'm sure they would know other places to check if they don't want to do it. You'll have to figure out who those people are in your area, though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Juice that baby up, more pressure more cool

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Autozam AZ1 shouldn't have ac anyway, strip all the comfort bits

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The big button on the wall is very likely hardwired to the opener and doesn't transmit any radio signals for the car to learn from.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'd try a degreaser or alcohol

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Also the spark plug wires, and possibly the alternator or battery cables and their connectors for possible electric culprits. Not that you should just buy that stuff, clean it and visually inspect and measure if it seems bad.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Lifepo4 batteries might be a good option instead of AGM, you can arrange the 4 cells however you want. They are becoming common as all-in-one car battery setups with 4 cells and a battery management system, or you can make your own from components.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 25, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

look at that beautiful thing, turns out you do actually do cars.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

This video shows what's inside a commercial lifepo4 car battery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UJYm4g1z1s

You need:
- four cells, each is 3.2V so you get 12.8 nominal for your car
- a BMS (battery management system) that will balance the cells (make all the cells maintain the same voltage which makes the pack last longer) this is the small wires that go to each cell
- a way to protect the battery from high voltages or short circuit (a BMS might include this)
- big beefy connections between the cells

Lifepo4 are pretty easy to charge and very resiliant

I don't have any great resources that say "here's how to do it", I've been reading a bunch as I go and haven't found the holy grail of information yet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Well I hosed up my driveway. I was fixing some rust on our trailer with corroseal rust convertor, it said that it cleans up with soap and water so I didn't bother putting a drop cloth down, now there are black spots of dried corroseal (magnetite?) that the pressure washer wouldn't even take off. I tried scrubbing with mineral spirits but that didn't do poo poo either, same with simple green. How bad did I gently caress up?

Iirc muriatic acid is used to clean concrete by etching, I think that would work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHcin3QJX_A

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Why do diesel engines sound so clattery? Even new diesel trucks sound like pieces of the engine are loose and rattling.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The set I got came with seperate clear coat. Ammonyc says to mix it with the base coat before applying so a separate clear layer isn't needed

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

owlhawk911 posted:

tell us about the truly stupid action pls :allears:

I wonder how many pencils it would take to drive that plastic bit out of the tube

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I bought 12 LiFePo batteries to use for an accessory battery setup. What should I be looking at using to keep twelve 12lbs batteries in place so they don't become projectiles in a crash? I was thinking of using something non-conductive to strap them down indivually, something like nylon seatbelt strap. Do I need a sturdy enclosure around them or is that overkill?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

04 Volvo XC90:
I had to brake hard today on the highway, hard enough to send loose things flying towards the front of the car. I don't think I've braked that hard in months. When I eased up on the pedal, instead of modulating it seemed to stick for a split second and the pedal didn't have as much force against my foot. Is this an indication of something being odd? Or is it my mind playing tricks on me? Tried to duplicate the event a couple times and couldn't.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

kastein posted:

Make sure your driveshaft is not too long or too short.

Sound advice

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I thought they had a minimum 24hr wait time before your first tow or something like that.
e: oh, 7 days for plus / premiere which are the big tows.

That was my experience, they would do a short tow immediately but I had to wait a week for the long tow service

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Think of all the things you could bathe in fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That is some crazy poo poo to have to worry about, drat. How much palladium is in there?