Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
2007 Nissan Murano 70000something miles on it. Excuse the short sentences I am phone posting.

November: I drive the car to a grocery store. My wife is sitting in the car listening to the radio without engine on. All electrical dies. I get a jump. We drive home. Next day, car is dead again. Jump again, take to Sears, Sears says all is well.

February. Cannot start car, engine cranks but won't turn over. I try and jump, still won't turn over. I call roadside assistance, he jumps it off his truck and it starts. Take to Sears, Sears says battery and all electrical is fine.

Today: wife goes to leave work, car won't start or even try to turn over. She gets a jump, car starts. She drives home, leaves running. I drive about 15 minutes away, park car for 1 hour. I go to start, and I have lights and radio but won't turn over at all. I call roadside assistance, they send guy with a jump box. He tries to jump it, nothing happens, still got headlights and radio but it won't turn it all. He hears a clicking sound from engine. I don't hear anything from inside the car.

Starter problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, he showed me the meter on his jump box and the amps or voltage or whatever was in the green area so that part looks good. The positive terminal has corrosion, but not much and we brushed at it and had the same result.

I guess I'll have it towed to loving Sears and have them look at it. But if they try and tell me it's all good again I'm not leaving unless I walk out with a new battery.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Raluek posted:

Did you un-bolt the cable from the battery, and properly clean it with one of these?

If so, you're right, that's not your problem. If you just brushed off what was visible without taking the battery cable off the battery, then it could still be part of the problem.

I did not, but I have one of those. I'll do that tomorrow before I do anything.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

coronaball posted:

I did not, but I have one of those. I'll do that tomorrow before I do anything.

Im text to speech posting so bear with me for any weird typos. Came back to car this morning. Still wouldn't start from park. I was sitting there bored waiting for the tow truck, so high put it in neutral, and it started right up. so now I don't know what the f*** is going on. some kind of ignition problem?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

coronaball posted:

Im text to speech posting so bear with me for any weird typos. Came back to car this morning. Still wouldn't start from park. I was sitting there bored waiting for the tow truck, so high put it in neutral, and it started right up. so now I don't know what the f*** is going on. some kind of ignition problem?

I'm sure you're all breathlessly waiting for an update. Took it to the dealership, they spent like 5 hours diagnosing it and came up with a failing IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module) and a repair tag of $1050, which is pretty hosed up considering this appears to be a common defect for Nissan trucks and SUV's, judging from my research. Luckily it is covered by my extended warranty so I'm only out the $100 deductible. That extended warranty has saved me drat near $3000 over the life of the car so far. :o

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

I have a 2007 Nissan Murano. Recently, it started making a grinding sound from the right side whenever I make a hard right turn, especially at slow speeds.

(This is the part where I exhibit a painful ignorance of automotive parts and repair)

Here is a pic of the part above the wheel on the right side. See that hanging down? That goes in the "bad" category, right?

For comparison, here is the left side.

Is that my problem?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Godholio posted:

A noise that gets worse when you turn into it makes me think wheel bearing.

Does the noise get louder when you go faster?

No, it only occurs on sharp right turns and only at slow speeds, like turning into or out of a driveway.

When my wife gets home I'll do some experiments and try to hear it from outside the car and from the passenger side.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

I curb checked one of those stupid raised drains and put this gouge in my right front tire. How bad is this? It doesn't seem to be leaking. I am 70 miles away from home, and it's Sunday so this is not optimal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Motronic posted:

Pull back on the chunk. Can you see cords? Take a picture.

It could be fine-ish, it could be super hazardous. No telling from that pic.

If you have a full size spare put it on and deal with it later. If not, well.....figure out if it's dangerous now.

Can't pull back on it, it's not deep enough for me to get ahold of it. I guess that's a good sign. I poked at it some and it doesn't seem that deep. Definitely taking it in tomorrow to have a pro look at it, and probably get an alignment too.