Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Hi hello, I think this is the right thread to ask in. 2007 Chevy Cobalt LT (uhh I have no idea what engine exactly but probably not the best one if there's options lol) 80,000 miles.

I need new tires. I have Uniroyal Tiger Paws on there and they were terrible even when new. I live in Wisconsin, so I want an all-weather kind of thing because I'm not going to be assed to change tires. Plus I live in Milwaukee and don't drive that much, so it's not like I'll be offroading in snow or whatever. Also must be reasonably priced, preferably under $100/tire. If no specific tire recs, maybe just brands to go with or stay away from? I know nothing! thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

wesleywillis posted:

Go on places like tirerack.com and discounttire.com.

Plug in your tire size and then narrow it down by price. Look at the reviews.

Even if you don't buy from those places, the reviews are useful.

thanks both!

STR posted:

FWIW, I had the Saturn version of your car for... a lot longer than I'd like to admit (the Ion is the same basic car, mechanically the only real difference was the clutch).

If you have Discount Tire in your area.. the worst tires I ever had on it (actually, some of the worst tires I've ever had on any car) were the super cheap Barum Brillantis 2s. The best tires I had on it were Road Hugger GTP, which are private label tires from Discount Tire that are made by Kumho. They're still affordable, they were really quiet, handled better than any other tire I put on that car (admittedly, I basically tried all of the cheap ones you could get at Discount, over ~200k miles and 2 different Ions), and wore really well.

There's two different LTs - the 1LT and 2LT. The 1LT has 15" wheels/tires and uses hubcaps. The 2LT has much nicer 16" alloy wheels, but the tires cost a lot more. If your car is the 1LT and has the 15" wheels with hubcaps, that puts those tires at $72 at my local Discount Tire. If you have the 16" alloys, they'll run an eye-watering $102, in which case you should probably go for something else (that's before mounting, balancing, etc). Just try to stay above the $70/ea mark (and avoid the Tiger Paws).

e: and you have the 2.2 engine. Only the SS got anything different.

thank you for this! I'll look into those from Discount Tire. I'm sure I just have the standard 15" ones since I bought it new off the lot. and thanks for the engine info because I'm not sure where my user manual is...

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think you are going to get beat up a little bit on that post. We try to help, but here are the red flags:

No one else gave me poo poo. You assumed a lot of BS, like that I have't lived here and driven on non-snow tires my entire life. I don't drive much because I work from home, so yes, I do have the luxury of saying "eh the roads suck, not leaving the house." I'm getting new tires because I'm back to driving my car since my boyfriend just died and I can't drive his much newer, better car anymore. So I'm having to do the things I've been putting off on the car that usually just sat in the garage, like tires, and oil change and alignment. But really, your making GBS threads wasn't nearly as bad as the way my life has poo poo on me recently, so thanks, mentor.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

`Nemesis posted:

Hello fellow Milwaukee goon, are you street parking or do you have a spot in a lot?

hello MKEan! I park in an underground garage.