Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
About to do a trans fluid swap and filter swap.

Can I pull the pan, pull filter, start engine and idle it in park till fluid stops pouring out of the cooler line,

Hook it back up, install pan, fill trans ?

All the poo poo I read says to replace it at 4L intervals, but I'm lazy.

Edit: to further explain, pumping out all the old fluid will allow a cleaner fluid overall since I'm not mixing old and new as I'm doing the "infusion" style. Secondly, I figure enough fluid residue will exist to not damage seals or clutches for the 30 seconds it takes to fully drain the remaining 5L of fluid in the converter etc.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slavvy posted:

Depends on the colour of the car. If it's a blue car you have to turn the car upside down to stop the valvebody falling out. If it's a green car you have to tilt the car on a 45 degree angle to make sure all the fluid comes out.

Its white but I was thinking of plastidipping it fire engine red. It's a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Auto.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uthor posted:

2011 Subaru Forester

The book says inspect the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, no specific interval for changing it beyond that.

A) How does one inspect the fluid?

B) Should it just be replaced regardless? Every 30k? 45k? 60k? I'm thinking drain and fill, though the folks may just pay the dealer for a flush instead of having me do it at home.

Inspect the level while it's running in park. The colour should be like runny strawberry jam. It should not smell burnt. I'd change it every 50,000 miles give or take. Less if you're towing often. The dealerships seem to charge a hilarious amount for a fluid flush, the budget lube shops seem to be a little more reasonable around $150. Considering the fluid will run you around $50 and the filter another $20, thats not actually a bad deal.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IOwnCalculus posted:

That still seems like a long time to have the pump sucking air.

You're not going to get 100% of the fluid out on any given change; if you're really that concerned, do one change now and another in a few thousand miles.

Yup. The moment it lost prime it stopped pushing out fluid. So I basically added 3L every time I pumped out 3L after swapping the filter. I added .7L of that Lucas Transmission fix stuff. Hopefully get another few months out of it, and then I'm thinking LS3 swap + 6speed auto + eBay turbo.

On a side note, 42LE on a jk is a pain.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm about to do a trans fluid exchange in the driveway. It's a Ram heavy duty. Pretty sure it attaches with hardlines to the cooler with those fuel line connections that need the remover tool.

Instead I'd like to just cut the rubber line and install some sort of threaded connection. Anyone know what I could use ? Maybe a barbed end to AN male/female to barbed end ?