Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Crossposting from the mechanical failures thread, went out to check my fluids and pressures before a trip and found a flat.

Guessing these are too close to the sidewall to fix reliably? I tried inflating anyway to see what would happen and air was pissing out of both holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Kids (presumably) nicked the dustcaps off my tyres, are the locking ones worth it or shall I just get a shitload of black plastic ones?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

VelociBacon posted:

Are you talking about valve stem covers?

Yep, always called em dustcaps before, though valve stem covers is a bit more descriptive.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I'm about to replace a slowly dying battery and came across a dilemma the Internet seems split on.

Let's say I connect up an older but good battery, leave it for an hour or so to equalise the voltages a bit, then start it up. Should I shut off the ignition before disconnecting the reserve battery?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Is spraying starter fluid to find vacuum leaks as bad an idea as it sounds? I have mental images of me and/or the engine bay in flames.

Is there a good trick to it otherwise?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Replacing vacuum line is as easy as it looks-remove old stuff, cut new stuff to length, attach new stuff- right?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Memento posted:

Yes. Make sure it's not going to rub on anything (especially if the thing is sharp or gets hot), liberal use of cable ties to keep it in place, go to town. You can get molded vaccum line for a lot of applications but I've never had a problem using generic stuff, which probably an order of magnitude cheaper.

Yeah, 5 metres of well reviewed (and hp increasing bright neon green) silicone hose was under £10, I expect the shortest ready-made bits to be at least that.

I can make the runs a little longer, yes?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Add in "removing whatever you need to get at the vacuum line" but yeah. Replacing one on the 280ZX once, I added a plastic elbow in the middle because the bend was too tight for generic line. gently caress paying $Texas for a bespoke line for that garbage fuel injection system.

Good advice, there's a bunch of check valves and a few other plastic bits guaranteed to be half dead and just waiting for the chance to crumble away, so I'm taking the chance to replace them all now rather than stress over them breaking while I do the lines. The place that sold me the line also does pre-moulded corner pieces, but I think I should be okay.

gently caress you VAG, rubber and lovely plastic don't belong in a rats nest on top of an engine, and your weirdo hose clamps can go choke on a thorned cock.

Semi related question- the plastic engine cover on top of my 1.8T can just come off and loving stay off this time, right? it doesn't seem to do very much other than get in the way.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

While I have it exposed, is there anything wrong with hosing down my air intake temp sensor (A4, 1.8T) with contact cleaner? I know some sensors are picky but it looks a bit grubby and it probably isn't helping my lean code.

Sir Tonk posted:

Nah I want to keep the OEM head, just need buttons that aren't wrecked. Probably would be easier to just pull some buttons from a broken one and replace them than replacing the working unit that's in the car, assuming they'll come off without destroying them.

Both times I have looked over a scrap car looking for random bits, the buttons I wanted to replace have been worn out in just the same way as on mine. At a guess, you aren't going to be able to replace the buttons without pulling the unit, and I'm gonna take a guess from the picture and say removing the unit is gonna mean removing at least part of the dash.

You might be just better to find a way to remove the rest of the plastic coating from the buttons and then paint them with something yourself.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

big trivia FAIL posted:

This 2nd shop said they cleaned everything and dyed it, ran it and watched it, and all of those things are leaking badly. Like I said, I don't know poo poo and they car has been in shops for 4 weeks now, so I guess I'm paying a lot b/c I can't do it myself.

If it's gone from not leaking to suddenly leaking all over I would guess something else happened other than "well all these just happened to go at the same time"- has it leaked before?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

A4 1.8t. Few weeks ago the air intake hose/pipe coming from the intercooler to the engine popped off while driving hard and i put it down to an old hose clamp, stuck on a new one nice and tight, noticed a day or two later the hose had slipped a bit, changed to another hose clamp in case the new one was poo poo and its still doing it.

I figure that as its old it could be collapsing in on itself when the engine is trying to suck in lots of air- change out the pipe first, or is there something else at play?

No other problems other than a dying diverter valve which im hoping to get done next week.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Got a P0322 code on my 1.8t A4, so I'm swapping out the crankcase sensor today-

Do I need to lube the sensor, and if so, with what? I have copper anti-seize, probably some dielectric grease and engine oil, any of them do it?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I assume you're talking about the crank position sensor?

There's an o-ring on the new sensor; putting a little bit of engine oil on the o-ring (like you do on an oil filter during an oil change... just dip your finger in oil and wipe it on the o-ring) would be a good idea. Outside of that, the only thing you'll need to do is invent new swear words and find the tools you threw across the garage/driveway/yard/parking lot/whatever. They're usually not the easiest thing to get at (and Youtube videos confirm it's in a cramped area).

Yeah its the crank/rpm sensor, will give it a smearing- thanks.

Its not gonna be easy but I think I can get it from the top if I shift the coolant tank over and use an inspection mirror to guide me- I have 3 days to do it, so if needs be I can prime another extension e.t.c and deal with some more vac system stuff instead while I wait

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Watching a youtube video about doing those on your engine made me an expert. :colbert: But seriously, it doesn't look that terrible for a FWD car. It's cramped and blind, but it just looked frustrating (due to no visibility) more than anything else.

Just make sure your smear isn't on the business part of the sensor. :v:

:colbert: awd :colbert:

I cleared my way in and access up to it isn't too bad at all- enough room to manoeuvre now the coolant is out of the way, its just seeing it and getting the right angle at the same time is tricky. Having lunch then I'm going to cobble something to reach it or order an extention the right size in the smaller drive size, and probably duct tape my inspection mirror in place

Those youtube vids of mechanics doing it lazily in a few minutes make me envious but I guess this is how I learn

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Is there a good beginner resource y’all can suggest? I don’t have the space or tools to do stuff like my own oil changes at the moment but I love reading threads in here. I know the very basics of how engines and systems work but there’s a vast gap between “I know mostly in theory how an internal combustion engine works” and “here’s me pulling out the old engine and replacing it by one from a different manufacturer” like some of you guys do. :v:

Or is it just one of those experiential things where I should save up for a beater I can wrench on and break?

Have a car and when it breaks, try and figure out whats broken, and then look on youtube/forums for videos/guides of people fixing the same thing. See if you think you can follow that. Pick up tools generally as you need them- a basic socket set is often a good start, as is an obd2 reader and torque. I don't have a garage, I do it roadside.

I have been doing the above for the last few years and not only did I enjoy myself fixing poo poo and learning, I have also saved myself a chunk of cash doing what I can myself- its also a lot nicer to go talk to a mechanic with "well I tried x and y, can you check z for me" rather than "I dunno whats wrong, halp".

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

titties posted:

I know this is stupid as hell but this is the first time I've had a car where absolutely everything worked and I am sad now. Any suggestions?

Check all the fuses you can get to, have the obd codes read to see if the car knows if anything is up.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

C-Euro posted:

There's a shallow chip in my windshield that I just noticed, probably no bigger than my pinky fingernail. Can I get this filled in at any decent mechanic, or should I be looking for a place that specializes in auto glass? 2011 Ford Escape.

Check your insurance details but you might be covered for a free repair that shouldn't affect your claims

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Resting Lich Face posted:

Started my 2012 Mini Cooper up today to a very rough idle, revs bouncing around around 1k, check engine light, very rumbly sound but not in a good way. I think I might have an oil leak because I checked and it seems very low which is what the gently caress since it was done somewhat recently (3.5k ago - a bit under a year). There isn't a visible leak though so I'm unsure what's up. Got family getting me some oil to top it up. Should I dare fuckin' start it again after topping up the oil or would that be dangerously stupid? I'm really not a car person so I'm out of my depth here.

45k miles so it shouldn't be having severe issues. PO (0-29k miles) treated it like poo poo though so you never know.

The car can tell you a whole bunch of codes if you use an cheap obd2 reader and a free/cheap phone app- from there you can google around and find people with the same symptoms/codes on that model/engine and post em here too.

I would definitely top up the oil properly before any kind of restart, but for the cheap cost of doing so I would want to see what codes the engine is throwing before turning the key just in case there's some really serious poo poo waiting.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you all - good shouts!

My dad is adamant that a cushion/padding on the wall at bumper-level is a good idea - any ideas on material/etc. ?

Pool noodles :)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Father Jack posted:

OK, I'm just going to buy a new battery. The last time I was in this kind of situation I spent a lot of time and effort pissing about to end up replacing it anyway, so if it's likely toast I just want to get it done with the minimum hassle and cost.

When shopping for batteries should I care about brand? Or just price, capacity and CCA? Is it worth paying more for Bosch for example, rather than a brand I've never heard of?

For things like laptop batteries and power banks capacity exaggeration is rife. Is that a thing with car batteries?

e: Any advice on who to buy from online for delivery in the UK would also be great

Go for a brand you recognise and go for the biggest CCA that will physically fit

I used eurocarparts in the UK- there's almost always a "sale" or special offer on for a competitive price (don't buy anything not on offer otherwise), but the best thing is I bought a bosch one from them and each time I killed it within the 4 year warranty, I just had to roll up to a store with the battery and a printout of the receipt and I got a new battery off the shelf no questions asked- if I got it a quid or two cheaper at some online only store I can't imagine it working the same

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Krakkles posted:

What's the best way to find interior fasteners? Specifically, a body shop worked on my 2000 Ford Mustang and replaced one of the plastic plugs that holds a trim panel in place with an incorrect (too small, and looks way different) plug. I'd like to ideally find one that looks and fits like the OEM, but I don't know what the part is called or how to find it.

Image, if that helps:

There are a couple other similar fasteners I'd like to locate, so tips about how to find these as well as what they are much appreciated.

I got a big bag of assorted fasteners from amazon cheaply (like less than a penny per) for when I did my window regulator

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Fasteners-Universal-Fastener-Removal/dp/B07BR9LBRT

Similar to this- seems there's a few variations of the types you can get

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

stump posted:

Had my wife’s Peugeot 208 into the garage yesterday to get the air con recharged. They noted the coolant reservoir was empty and topped it up. I’d been out in the car the day before and the temp was bang on, and no warning lights. Although I’ve got a feeling Peugeot in their infinite wisdom may not have fitted a coolant level sensor.

This morning the coolant reservoir was pretty much empty again. I figured the missing coolant may have disappeared to fill an air lock, if it had been very low.

I’ve topped it up and been out for a run and coolant temp (via obd) is sitting at 80c, rising to 84 under heavy load and dropping back down after. Fans kick on as they should. It does not appear to be losing coolant. I’m seeing a few drops from the back of the engine but I suspect that it is AC condensation - it seems not to be coolant.

TLDR here is the stupid question - there is a coolant line running back into the expansion tank that is pissing coolant back into the tank when the engine is warm - is that normal? I haven’t messed about with a GDCS is 15 years so I’m a bit thick about these things now.

I’m about to drive to the centre of London from Scotland in the middle of a heatwave tomorrow, so I’m keen to make sure it’s fine and not just suck it and see! I’d take my new to me shitheap Focus, but it’s developed a mysterious ecu issue and hasn’t seen an oil change in 30,000 miles :supaburn:

Can you slip a bit of cardboard under the car to catch the drips you are seeing so you can rule out the a/c? It probably is a/c but it's worth knowing.

I recently had a coolant hose tear develop over a week or two and while it was going the rate of coolant loss was all over the place- probably worth triple checking your hoses, especially at bends or attachments

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Audi A4 B6

I tore the plastic underside engine cover/skid plate/whatever off again, and this time the paracord and zipties failed and it got lost somewhere along a road, thankfully without damage to the rest of the car.

Do I need a new one? a quick google said the consensus was largely no but I drive gravel tracks/farm fields regularly and it seems like that could pose problems

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any other ideas?

When you put the key in the ready to crank position do you hear the fuel pump priming?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Is there a good place for tyre reviews? Most of the places I'm looking at, the bad reviews are mixed in with a lot of "tyre fitter was late/rude/foreign so I'm giving one star" rather than how the tyre was.

On the off chance someone can recommend some, I'm looking for 235/45 r17, previously had kumho ecsta le sport and they lasted about 25K and I kinda liked em but want to see what else is around

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I have no idea if mustie1 uses best practices etc but his videos are really relaxing to have on in the background and he works on a wide variety of poo poo

I'm a big fan of the "no lovely long intros, overuse of dubstep, fake drama or clickbaity titles, just someone doing poo poo and talking about it" genre- I like mcm's content but the packaging can really grate my nerves

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

simplefish posted:

Is there a good starting place for (old style) VW Bug restoration?

Yeah, mustie1 on youtube- he does lots of vw air-cooled stuff, I have been watching that as background a lot to the point where I feel I could probably start loving around with one myself and know where things are/what to expect

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

Hey I have a used Volkswagen bought 2nd-hand. The battery died during the winter and now the radio displays SAFE and I wish it didn't.
Is there any way to unfuckulate it so I can dope myself sonically once more? Thank you

Its a 2007 jetta city

It wants the radio security code input, so hopefully somewhere in the manual folder thing there's a leaflet telling you the code and how to input it

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

MOT fail size for a chip/crack is, afaik, over 1cm in drivers area of vision, 4cm outside that

Been rolling with a .8cm myself for the last 7 years

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

You probably will break/damage some clips even with a tool- If you can figure out what kind of clips it uses then buying a cheap bag of them for replacements in advance will make it a lot more stress free

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Rexxed posted:

I have a 2003 VW Jetta with a 1.8t motor. I'm trying to figure out a fuel issue

hey 1.8t buddy

Getting the hang of these hoses isnt too hard and that's good, because if bits haven't been replaced then they are gonna start failing due to age/heatcycles/volkswagen automotive group

You can possibly/probably clean and reattach the hose but if that's failed there it's probably ready to fail other places too so give it a good look over- hose clamps are fine but the cheap ones I used are prone to a bit of rust

Exploded parts diagrams can be helpful in figuring out where stuff should be, but that's no guarantee it was left like that by whoever was in there last (or even that it left the factory like that), and you have to be careful you have the appropriate diagram to your car because lots of changes got made over time

What gave me fuel pump like issues (until the fuel pump actually went) was the crankcase breather valve which is a cheap and reasonably simple fix

I'm off to buy more coil packs, which is an adventure you too can have some day

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Toebone posted:

Any reason I shouldn't run a bead of clear silicone caulk along the entire length? Is there a product that would be better suited to the task?

Might not look pretty but sikaflex or equivalent- you want something that remains slightly flexible, silicone will tend to go hard and crack/shrink/let stuff past due to everything else vibrating/flexing in travel

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Okay, noticed some belt noise on the alternator and then noticed the long black coolant pipe above it is leaking in two places

So I need to replace or bodge repair this pipe, which means taking it off

Questions-

How much coolant should I expect in the pipe? I was gonna cover the alternator in a towel or whatever and have a container handy to catch liquid but I kinda want to know what to expect first

Can leaks on pipes like this be bodge-repaired with any efficiency?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

VelociBacon posted:

Are you at the side of the road right now? You need to outright replace that hose. If you're stuck somewhere I guess you could just wrap it in whatever tape you might have and keep topping off coolant.

I'm at home and will be for a day or two, will order a replacement pipe

So given the engine will be flat cold when I do the job, do you know if I can expect a pipe full of coolant or just some dribbles?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Rick posted:

Any thoughts?

That coolant went somewhere, and maybe pissed all over a sensor which could possibly mess with the traction control light

Traction control light could also be something unrelated

Buying a cheap bluetooth OBD2 scanner and reading codes using your phone would probably be handy and let you rule some things out at least

Sometimes coolant is only going to noticeably leak once the engine is up to temp properly

Entirely dry on coolant can mean really bad things for the engine

If you need to move it make sure that coolant is topped right the gently caress up

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Okay so I have been learning and fighting me some coolant hoses off the coolant pipe and I have all of em but one beat, a rounded out hex surrendered easily with an impact and a shimmy of electrical tape and I was thinking I would be done today

behold, the bastard

That sticky out bit on the pipe- I can't get the hose clamps over it, and I can't retreat them far enough the other way because there's an obstruction preventing me from sliding the hose clamp down far enough

I tried sticking vice grips on the clamp to hold it open but then I don't have enough room to sneak something down between the hose and the pipe to break the seal

Cut the fucker off with a hacksaw or is there a trick? Cut the clamp or cut the sticky out bit? I tried wiggling that little poo poo every way and I can't figure out how it went on in the first place

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I can get pliers to the clamp lever arm things well enough to squeeze them right in till they hit each other, it's not big enough- unless this somehow makes them go further?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Motronic posted:

Can you squeeze the clamp AND have access to get a pick, small flat head, etc to slip inside the hose to break it free and then, with the hose clamp all the way open still be able to push the hose off? Because that's what I use those for on hoses that are two swollen to move the clamp. In a lot of cases without those you're fighting around whatever you're holding the clamp open with to do those other things.

I can get the clamp seemingly as far open as it goes, hands free with some vice grips but couldn't manage to wiggle in something between the pipe and the hose deep enough to get around the end of the pipe given the constriction of the clamp at the top- there's a lot of pipe inside the hose- I guess I will try and hunt out some better shims and give it another go in the morning, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

ryanrs posted:

Can you nip the spring clamp with cutters? I know my knipex cobolt would do it, but normal cutters might not like the spring steel.

I only have cheap cutters around, I'm gonna try and wiggle it free first, but if that fails I'm currently leaning towards taking a hacksaw to the pin/stud/sticky out bit, the metal on the pipe is probably going to be a lot less work than going through the spring steel

Least it's nice and sunny for it