Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Click the picture to go to the respective post)

Latest Updates

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

---The Thread and the LPs---

Portable Cows: The Farming Adventures of the DIO clan!
Both of these LPs have character and animal names suggested and voted on by goons in the thread.
Commentary alternates between solo and the occasional guest. Guests are noted beneath the video link in bold.

Spoiler Policy: Keep story points or secrets in spoiler tags. There's not much about these stories that's surprising or anything, but let's just be safe.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---Game Description---
If at first you don't succeed, try again several years later on a different system. Hero of Leaf Valley is a PSP remake of Save the Homeland from the PS2. It improves on every aspect of the original (more to do, more to grow, more people to meet, romance is brought back, the overall process is faster if you know what you're doing), but the fact that it was on the PSP presents its own set of hardware-related problems. Good luck figuring out how to navigate a full coop of chickens. If you can do that, though, you might find a surprisingly creative entry in the Harvest Moon franchise.

The story is such:
Our protagonist, IT WAS I DIO, returns to his late grandfather's farm in Leaf Valley, a quiet farming village with only two years left before the Funland Company tears it down to make an amusement park. In the process of looking the farm over, DIO meets the Harvest Sprites and the Harvest Goddess, who task him with saving the town and stopping Funland. With the help of the inhabitants and an empty farm, DIO must find a way to bring enough money or exposure to Leaf Valley to make destruction nonviable, but the CEO of Funland and her two wacky lackies won't just let him win...

:siren:HoLV Soundtrack, uploaded courtesy of HarvestMoonOtaku.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

with Word on the Wind

with Mugiwara Yoshi

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with Word on the Wind

with Word on the Wind

with Word on the Wind

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

No commentary

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

Year 3+ Music:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One-Off Harvest Moon Streams
Note: These are only of the 3D games. For the 2D game streams, see the Tale of Two Towns LP, or see the entire playlist here.

[img]http://lpix.org/1969886/Harvest Moon 3D A New Beginning [First Look].png[/img]

(By Douloug, Tumblr)
"Oscillating Octopus"

(By peachteadreams, Hitbox)
"Jacquie - Animal Parade character"

"Cute Dirt 1"

(By SomethingNoticeable, Hitbox)
"Cute Dirt 2"

(By NullBlack)
"Cute Dirt 3"

(By Smiling-Squirrel, Hitbox)
"Cute Dirt 4"

(By Green-Guy, Hitbox)
"Cute Dirt 5"

(By yoloswaginator, Hitbox)
"Cute Dirt 6"

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 15, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---Game Description---
A unique DS (we don't talk about the 3DS version) installment in the HM series, Tale of Two Towns does more things I wish other HM games did. There is more freedom of movement throughout the world, choosing to live in a livestock or crop-centric farm allows you to change up your playstyle, and the game doesn't take nearly as long to pick up as previous entries (looking at you, Harvest Moon DS). It's not perfect though: the issue of repetition once again rears its ugly head in the franchise, and the plot of the story is as stupid and infuriating as any in the series, but ToTT still manages to hold its own as an interesting if flawed gem.

The story is such:
A long time ago, two towns sitting on opposite sides of a great mountain lived in harmony and friendly competition, traveling freely to each other via a long tunnel. Then one day the two mayors had an argument, and the Harvest Goddess had a pissy fit and cut the tunnel off. Fast-forward to the present day: Dio, a young farming hopeful travels to the two towns to set up a life of her own. However the Harvest Goddess has finally decided to fix her mistake, but by making Dio do it instead. Join Dio as she cows her heart out in Bluebell and eventually helps her idiot mayors to get along again.

:siren:ToTT Soundtrack, uploaded courtesy of otomesounds.

with BigTUnit1

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

One-Off Harvest Moon Streams
Note: These are only of the 2D games. For the 3D game streams, see the Hero of Leaf Valley LP, or see the entire playlist here.

(By SomethingNoticeable, Hitbox)
"TheStrawhatNO! Pixel Art"

(By oddballcreativekid, Tumblr)
"TacoTheGhost - Stardew Valley character"

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 15, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
(Reserved just in case)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Mehuyael posted:

I was thinking of voting for Lyla since I woo'd the flower girl in the original Harvest Moon, but as you said, she's one of those people.

All that meant was she's one of those eyes-permanently-closed characters.

E: Note that both HoLV and ToTT have only one horse (for most of the game) when offering suggestions. Livestock name suggestions will be more-or-less shared between the LPs.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 8, 2015

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Veloxyll posted:

Also, the skip the Tutorial/intro window stays on the video for the whole intro/tutorial sequence.

Because I made it that way.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This LP operates on Louis's days off.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 11, 2015

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

hopeandjoy posted:

I'll admit that most of my knowledge of this game is actually coming from Save the Homeland, which probably shouldn't be trusted.

Yeah, not the best source. There's no romance in Save the Homeland, for one.

Chimera-gui posted:

Can we give secondary votes? Cause if so, I'm giving mine to Alice.

Only one per person for now. Easier to keep track of.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Recording more footage later tonight after my stream of Tomodachi Life. I've decided to name ToTT's horse Tengri, because he makes everything a breeze. HoLV's horse will continue to be voted on, though BoJack is in the lead with votes as far as names and the red horse as far as colour.
Other animals, since everyone has made so many suggestions, I've decided will be anything I like out of everyone's suggestions. We'll have plenty of cows in both games.

I feel like we need cow versions of smilies now. Like all the frog ones.
:catdrugs: < COW DRUGS

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
By the way: If you're changing your votes on anything, please say what you're changing your vote from. I have everything accurate so far, but the longer this thread gets, the less likely I'm going to scower it for your first vote.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
For ToTT, until around the Summer. For HoLV, basically until the second year, seeing as romancing takes all year, and marriage doesn't come into play until year 3.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I'm accepting considerations for co-commentators for at least ToTT this week. If you're interested, PM or (if you can't) Tweet me with your Skype and an example of you commentating so I can get an idea of how we'd work. Knowledge of the games is useful, as is lack of knowledge - both provide opportunities for discussion. The important thing is finding if we can sync and make interesting commentary.
Note that these LPs have been chiller than what's usual from my team because of a mixture of the games being relaxed themselves and me doing it myself. When I'm with other people, I'm in a much snarkier mood.

I have the footage for both of this weekend's parts ready, so anyone interested :getin: sooner than later.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 14, 2015

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

with Word on the Wind

Going ahead and updating HoLV now. More ToTT is on the way, though it has a good bit more work left for it. We're three days away from the first cooking contest, so routine is starting to set in. Expect a lot of cut footage.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Spoiler tag that name, please.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

hopeandjoy posted:

Also if we're officially voting, once again, Cam. Flower husband best husband.

Yes, you can all vote on your preferred husband now, including pretty, white-haired, violinist Mikhail, and cheery, cute mail carrier Dirk.

Glaive17 posted:

Yeah, contrast to what Thorn said in the video, I find pets to be very useful. I am usually able to milk and brush and talk to all of my animals before the pets come and take them out of the barn. The pets don't come out until an hour or two have passed.

My routine starts with feeding and petting my pets, which takes around an hour, and that's in Konohana. With the amount of animals we'll have in Bluebell, they'll just be a nuisance for my sakes. Plus taking animals outside doesn't have a big enough benefit to make buying pets worthwhile in the long run anyway. You get crazy-good produce from them in time regardless.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Mattzoso posted:

Hey Thorn there's something I've been wondering for awhile now. You keep talking about emulators but as far as I knew, most 3DS emulators didn't work very well or were scams. Am I just misunderstanding something?

IAmTheRad posted:

Tale of Two Towns was released on both the Original DS and the 3DS.

I'm playing the DS version of Tale of Two Towns. That one emulates almost perfectly, while the 3DS version can't even run right on the console. If I was playing the 3DS version, I would be using my capture board I had installed into my 3DS, like with my Ocarina of Time 3D LP I have going on separately.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I actually do have the top screen enlarged, and I fiddle with them the same as OoT. It's just I think there's more happening and more information worth having upfront in the bottom screen for this LP.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Unfortunately HoLV will be on hiatus for the next month or so. My graphics card failed last month, and my older standby doesn't like recording the game. ToTT and everything else runs just fine though, so the thread will otherwise continue as is.

Also remember to vote on which horse cart you want me to buy. So far only one person has voted on it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Mjolna posted:

I think ToTT has a digital release on the eshop and thread is making me wonder if that is as crash prone as the cart release is

Someone in Amazon's reviews for the 3DS versions says the eshop version seems to be fixed. It's not really "better" than the DS version in any significant way, though, so unless that's the only way you can play the game, go for the DS version. The 3D is tacked on, and petting your animals may be nice to make them like you faster but they're not exactly picky as-is.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
So while I'm working on the next ToTT part, I went ahead and streamed a couple hours of semi-recent HM game, Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning which I got in the mail the other day. Turns out it has a lot in common with ToTT, and it's a good example of how every HM game does some things better than previous entries, some things worse.

I've been thinking as an addition to the thread, I might do streams of other HM games to show their various similarities and differences. Thoughts on the idea?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
No reason it would. It's only a couple hours out of the day to stream them, if that.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Oh. Nah, just a one-to-two-hour look. That's generally all you need to see the major differences between HMs.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

First cooking festival, worst trash talk ever.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I don't have Island of Happiness but I do have Sunshine Islands and intend to stream it. From what I understand they're basically the same game, just Sunshine Islands is a little better.

I'd have preordered Story of Seasons but I ran low on money, and the new Sonics album took precedent. I'll get it the week it comes out though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Going to stream a bit of HM DS and Sunshine Islands.
Streams done. Will upload and post them later.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 28, 2015

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Here are today's streamed games. New HoLV part coming next week as well.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

with Mugiwara Yoshi

This week in Hero of Leaf Valley, Dio feels washed out, empty and depressing.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Breezing through to our first festival, all the while getting richer and poorer faster than Casanova.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Putting the thread on temporary hiatus while I focus on other things, including our other neglected threads. Will resume before it drops into the archives.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Thread is back open as I record more footage and work on getting a backlog going. In the meantime, here's my stream of the tutorial week for the latest HM game (that isn't allowed to be called HM), Story of Seasons. The game's good!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

With BigTUnit1

Travis joins me on the first of two or three mad rushes through to the end of Spring, and we waste no time working our character reinterpretation powers on our plucky heroine.

There will most likely be co-commentators for much of the rest of these LPs. Recording footage for both this and HoLV made me realize that the only reason this thread keeps being held up is that commentating them myself is tedious; the games themselves are plenty fun, and I burned two days straight just recording the rest of Spring for both of them.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

with an-artist-complex

Olivia joins me on a mad dash to the Spring horse races, followed by me totally not making horrible gambling mistakes like putting all of my money on a single horse.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Double updates for both games, 'cause if I didn't I felt like I'd be stuck in Spring forever. Probably going to do the same for the rest of both LPs when the respective seasons grind down to routine.

For Hero of Leaf Valley 7-1, I enjoy the fruits of my crippling gambling addiction and expand our farm considerably, while 7-2 jumps right into the first day of Summer. You'll see why I wanted to get the latter day out of the way.

For Tale of Two Towns, both parts work our way through the high points and festivals of the second half of the season, including the many reasons to fear Enrique and the sneaking suspicion that the Chicken Festival is rigged.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

All that fishing pays off...with dire consequences.

The next ToTT is also on the way, but I wanted to get this one up so that you all can vote on what endings you definitely want to see. Some will probably happen anyway, but I want to be sure which ones are most wanted.
Remember, you have to pick three from the same category: Nature Preserve or Tourist Spot Aid.

Nature Preserve
The Tale of Blue Mist and Azure Swallowtail (Lyla)
The Tale of the Endangered Weasel (Gwen)
The Tale of Golden Potato Seed (Dia)
The Tale of Blue Bird (Aurelia)
The Tale of Silver Fish (Joe & Kurt)
The Hundred Years Old Cherry Tree (Parsley or Tim)
The Secret Fossil (Rudolph)

Tourist Spot Aid
The Tale of Cake Contest (Katie)
The Tale of Harvest Goddess Temple (Harvest Goddess)
The Rebirth of the True Harvest Festival (Ronald, Wallace, Martha)
The Holy Masterpiece (Chester)
The Tale of Horse Champion (Bob)
Louis the Inventor King (Louis)
The Legendary Baker (Ronald)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Veloxyll posted:

What happened to the Blue seed when you got sick? Since all your animals got sick and your crops grew etc.

It was raining that day, so it still got watered.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
There is, it's just called losing.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This week, I power through the first week of Summer before my emulator got testy, plus a stream I did yesterday of my very first Harvest Moon game.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I forgot to mention, but I'm waiting to record more Hero of Leaf Valley until I get enough votes to know for sure what as many people want to see as possible. So if you haven't voted, check this post and be sure to do that soon. I'll be visiting Olivia in Canada from the 28th through to August 10, so I'll probably wait to record more of that until I get back, but the sooner the votes come in, the clearer my plan for the LP will be when I continue.

If my emulator and OBS cooperate, I'll try and record one more ToTT beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Quick update to let everyone know that all of Summer has been recorded for HoLV, and I'm in the last week of recording Summer for ToTT. There's a lot that happens in both, so I'll have a good chunk of updates ready in due time.

In an awkward turn of events, I in fact did not miss the first event for Gina's Goddess Dress story! What I missed was one of the non-mandatory events, which are sprinkled throughout just about every character's story. I also managed to instigate every story possible in Summer, so everyone should get to see their requested endings played out. Don't know if the game will only count three of a particular type though, or even go all the way through seeing them, as I will easily have the 50k for Alice by the end of the second year. We shall see.

:siren:I do want to present a question about ToTT to the thread.:siren:
HoLV lasts about three in-game years before you've seen everything, which is perfectly doable with how I'm playing it now. However ToTT looks like it can go up to 6 and beyond before you've seen the grand majority of possibilities, since special event requests like tunnel and farm expansion only show up on the first of each season. On the other hand it only takes a couple years to dig through the tunnel, and not even one year to make the mayors like each other, which is the one specific goal we've been given.

With that in mind, what should be the ultimate goal of the ToTT LP? Do you want me to go up and beyond to see all that we can, or should I focus on a particular task that's obtainable within roughly the same length as HoLV?

If you do want me to make it a big fuckoff LP, I might need to start using codes to speed things up. If not and you just want to get the towns connected again, then I will definitely use codes just for fun for a few extra parts.

• Locked thread